American Idol Recap: 24 Live Another Day

The following equation recently appeared on a standardized math test for third graders, thanks to the Common Core State Standards Initiative:

American Idol selected 48 Season 14 contestants to perform at a showcase at Los Angeles’ House of Blues — with the goal of having its three judges (and a team of no fewer than 37 producers) whittle the field down to 24 vocalists who’ll compete for the public vote. If the final roster of contestants must be split evenly by gender — and 12 hopefuls were shown advancing on Wednesday night’s telecast, then who’s likeliest to advance in the night’s final battle: The girl who has received screen time during every single round of the competition — or the one who hasn’t been seen since her New Orleans audition?

You don’t have to be Smarter Than a 5th Grader — returning to Fox in 2015, I kid you not — to know the answer.

And while I appreciate that executive producer Per Blankens didn’t get our hopes up and let us get deeply attached to classy songbird Jelly Joseph, the utter lack of suspense generated by pitting her against heavily hyped Shi Scott was on par with pop-cultural questions like “Will the whale live at the end of Free Willy?,” “Is Captain America going to succumb to nightly carbohydrate cravings?,” and “Will somebody cover ‘I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing’ on this show between now and May?”

I know, I know… if you looked up my Top 24 Announcement Recap from Seasons 11, 12 and 13, I probably made the same complaint (and referenced delicious carbs, because their siren call never ends). But just as I wish Idol would once and for all create a Banned Songs List, I also can’t help but hold out hope that 14 years into the process, somebody on staff would say, “Hey! What if we zagged in the editing bay where people expect us to zig?”

While you try to make sense of that last paragraph, let me break down who advanced and who got axed — along with letter grades that, if I’m being honest, are probably unfair considering nobody was actually shown singing for more than the time it takes for any member of The View hosting panel to curse the heavens when they arrive on set each morning.

AI14_HOB-Showcase_0165_hires1Sent Through to the Top 24
Joey Cook — Tommy Roe’s “Sweet Pea” — Grade: B-
Katherine Winston — Fleetwood Mac’s “Rhiannon” — Grade: B+
Quentin Alexander — Foxes’ “Youth” — Grade: A-
Alexis Gomez — The Band Perry’s “Better Dig Two” — Grade: C+
Savion Wright — John Mayer’s “I Don’t Trust Myself (With Loving You)” — Grade: B+
Mark Andrew — Hozier’s “Take Me to Church” — Grade: C+

Eliminated Without Supporting Evidence
Josh Sanders
Jaq Mackenzie
Hunter Larsen

Never Even Mentioned/Possible Subjects for 48 Hours: Mystery
Erica Washington, Casey Thrasher, Najah Lewis

On that note, I turn things over to you: Who did you love from the House of Blues showcase? Who got robbed? Sound off below — and check back next Monday as Melinda Doolittle and I rant and rave over the Top 24 on an all-new installment of Reality Check!

1. How could they not mention Erica Washington at all? Also I’m a little shocked on the oysters of Jelly and Emily. Sarina was the best of the night in my opinion!!! I’m rooting for her, Loren, Joey, Tyanna, Clark, savion, and Adanna!!! :)

• lorie says:

I bet Erica was good but they already had someone in mind for her “category”.

• Meme says:

That’s a real problem … categories.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m sure some of that mindset on the part of the producers stems from the whole Fantasia/Jennifer Hudson/LaToya London dustup. One of the reasons J-Hud left at Number 7 was the votes were split between the three ladies (my opinion). How Fantasia beat out the other two remains a mystery (also my opinon). But I think they want dissimilar contestants to (a) broaden their viewer base, and (b) avoid splitting the voter base.

• Ben says:

It’s not a real problem. It’s just something you need to accept as being important to the producers. They aren’t finding the top 24 singers, they are casting a reality TV show.

• I agree Sarina was ethereal

2. Ron says:

Gah! What is it with the Egg/Plant/Her girl Shi? How the heck did she make it over Jelly?!?! It’s so frustrating. Based on their respective HoB performances, Jelly was heads and shoulders above Shi. Also, Jelly wasn’t annoying…

• Holly says:

Jelly was a total sweet heart.

• Angela says:

She really was. I love it when the contestants are so gracious and understanding and mature about not going through.
        Having said that, yeah, I’m with everyone else who’s all, “How the hell did Jelly not get picked?!”

• Louie says:

“She” will not make it past the first voting round. They’ve given her such a negative edit that I’d be surprised if ANYBODY votes for her

• MC says:

Shi has a considerable number of fans elsewhere on the internet. Shi will definitely garner some votes, but the nonsense with her nickname will be tough to overcome. I think Shi has more potential than Joey (for example), but I still want to hear a very distinctive, well rounded vocal from her.

• I noticed a lot of hate for Shi online from the beginning. I heard hateful comments about her looks, her hair, even the fact she is bi racial. I think her voice is great but with the hate I don’t see her staying unless she does something awesome and even then…..

• Kathryn says:

Jelly is “broken down” at 26. Shi is 19.

• as says:

Exactly and notice that “broken down” doesn’t apply to the two 29 year-old guys that advanced…ageism and sexism alive and well on J-lo’s Idol. Good luck Jelly…hope to see you in Nola sometime…”Shi” was just awful….what an out-of-tune screamer Gaga wanna-be.

• I am still stunned that She was chosen over Jelly. It happens often that I question my ears when I hear what the judges choose, but I know without a doubt that Jelly did a great job and so much better than anything that came out of She’s mouth throughout the entire process. I hope she’s gone first from the next round.

• Lisa says:

I’ve only actually liked one of Shi’s performances. That’s it.

• sheena says:

Shi was not good at all. She was picked because she looked like barbie. Too bad they pick contestants based on the discriminatory images of what beauty is not talent SMH

• Jill Moy says:

Looks like Barbie….LOL! How about a scarecrow?

• MAB says:

I totally disagree. If that’s the case Adam would not have been selected. I also don’t think Shi is as bad as lots of you are making her out to be. She is not my favorite but seems like a really warm person and friendly with everyone. Sometimes the cruelty of this group takes my breathe away. When you are set on hating on someone there is no mercy.

• Meme says:

Agree … each one has something or they wouldn’t be there at all. Everyone will have favorites just like opinions, and there’s no need to be cruel.

• Puchinsmom says:

Not trying to be cruel, BUT, the something Shi has is her stunning looks. Her voice is not pleasing, and imo Jelly had a lot more to offer in the vocal “category. “

• Tom22 says:

Shi has other interesting things about her besides her looks. There is a rawness to her that many artists have dug into, and really a surprising number of artists are half wacko. Calling it an insecurity or a “not knowing who she is yet” might not be too far off the mark yet that sort of thing can lead to some plaintive flow of emotions often hidden from a more guarded stable person’s presence.
            Now you don’t need to agree or like seeing that sort of thing, but there are a fair number of people who do find it interesting to see more than normal polite and well adjusted people on stage. Most don’t want people mean or prone to crying, but “unpredictable” or “mercurial” or “zany” or “unfettered by societal norms” are adjectives many of us appreciate seeing a bit of in each contestant(some more than others of course).
            Actually I think people who don’t like that sort of thing unknowingly find the show more compelling when it isn’t always a series of predictable behaviors with a “next” between decent singers acting the same polite way.

• Jill Moy says:

She is a nice person, but talent wise, below average! No hate intended!

MAB,

But, Adam is talented and seems like a cool guy so one overloojs how he looks. This Shi is terrible and to me would make a good scarecrow….she is thin as paoer and that hair…..UGGGGGGGGGG!

• Jill Moy says:

Meant thin as paper. She just shouldn’t be here. Knocking out Jelly was a brinks job…one of the worst robberies in A I history!

• Hey jill, Yes I love Adam he cracks me up and I love Qaasim Middleton! Im still hoping Shannon continues to do well!Oh and I love Adonna Duru! She is very good!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Very frustrating that Shi was chosen over Jelly – but we all saw that coming. Shi was apparently chosen for her looks because it certainly wasn’t her vocal ability. There’s no way she’ll make the top 12.

• Lking says:

I’ll not put money on that. She’s very polarizing. She’ll make it much farther than people think. No, not a fan I find her annoying.

BECCA,

I agree with all you said! My 4 from day. 1 all went thru…..The 2 black girls with ANNA in their names, Savion and Maddie. I mentioned them long ago! Anyway you can see all my comments and you’ll know who I feel is undeserving!

• Sunny Neidhart says:

It’s been several seasons since I watched a episode. Until last night flipping thru channels I hear some real talent, then 2night more talent then Shi….WT* wins over a great voice like Jelly’s. This is not top model is it?

• Viajero says:

For the first time I actually liked Shi this week; particularly after watching the full performance on Vevo. She had the crowd and the judges really going at the end there with that back and forth with the band. She was done a real disservice when they didn’t show her entire performance. Not that Jelly didn’t deserve to go through as well.

• MAB says:

There was editing done and it doesn’t mean Jelly and Shi were up against each other. It is just how they showed it. The contestants did not perform in the order they showed on TV. The two that were up against each other were the two that had to do a sing off. They were the last two female performers.

• Timmah says:

Yes, that video was cute. It looked like she was looking for a guitar to smash at the end or something :).

• mamamitzvah says:

bs’d I think Shi is so pretentious that she will be gone very soon. I think people will vote her fake-humble self out of there quite early. I just could not even hear her voice due to the waves of fake humility bashing against the shores of my brain. :o)

3. Holly says:

Hmmm, Casey Thrasher. Forgot about him. They gave him no screen time at all this season. Gotta think he had to be better than Mark Andrew though.

4. Sarina-Joi and Savion making it this season to live rounds already makes it a better season. They have been great in seasons past but this season they each have really stood out. There really is a lot of different genres and talent out there. I think my favorites are Jax, Nick, Savion, Sarina-Joi, Katherine, Clark and Rayvon. But there are also a few more that have really stood out. I still don’t get how Daniel Seavey made it, and now how Shi Scott made it. But there are always a few questionable decisions on Idol, and this season is no different. I’m definitely ready for the live rounds and voting to start and get some power away from the judge’s and producers.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote! All of your favorites are mine, too. I can’t wait to see how they do in the live shows.

• JayNC says:

Yeah but you never know who will persevere. Last season I thought Majesty Rose would win easily, yet she floundered and left in 9th place. And Jessica Meuse, who was not on my radar at all, I ended up liking the best and she ended up 4th. So we can only wait and see and trust that the judges know what they are doing.

Tyanna, Clark, Savion, NIck, and Riley are my favs. Seems like it is going to be a guys year.

• MAB says:

It really is hard to tell at this point and I wouldn’t count anyone out. In season 10 Haley was not well Iiked. I really did not like her at all myself. Then somewhere in the middle of the season she started to stand out. By the end of the season she became one of the most adored Idol ever. She is still the most talked about.

• Jill Moy says:

Majesty was very good but she faltered at the end! I never thiught Meuse (moose) was any good at all. I do believe Majesty was a top 5 last year for sure. This year we have Shi, Daniel and overrated pimped Jax, who should not be here. I feel Jelly, Adam (Santana relative) and girl who sang off with Maddie were better than these three sub-par oerformers!

5. James says:

This may be premature but I feel really good about this season. I don’t hate anyone… I know that’s bound to change, but still this a solid Top 24. Now if Jelly replaced Lovey, I’d be even more happy, but you can’t win ’em all…

• LeahKittyS says:

That’s a super attitude. We need more people like that on these blogs.

• Ben says:

I’m actually surprised that I like Lovey. I want to not like her, but her voice wins me over.

• LeahKittyS says:

The thing that annoys me about her is the stupid stage name, Lovey. She said her real name is Kirsten, what’s wrong with that? Sure, lots of professional singers use stage names, but they have the chops to back it up.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I also liked Lovey. I think she’s got some star quality going on.

• MC says:

Why do people want to “not like her?” That’s so bizarre. I don’t understand the pre-judging of people based on secondary characteristics (other than their talent). It feels like the high school cafeteria when people do that.

• Ben says:

Because the secondary characteristics are actually important? It’s not just your singing that matters, it’s the whole package. People who succeed on idol are usually somewhat likable. I hope Lovey is, but her personality hasn’t really been presented yet, while her theatrical performance style and name have, and they are a bit offputting.

It’s not the high school cafeteria. I’m not deciding whether or not Lovey would be my friend, or whether or not I’d bully or ostracise her. I’m deciding whether or not I’d buy her music. How she presents is inevitably part of that decision and chances of success, as it always has been.

• MC says:

I don’t think you can truly “know” anybody from watching a tv show. I think of Kellie Pickler, Didi Benami and Angie Miller (to name a few) who all battled negative (and inaccurate) perceptions of them. Those are three very talented people who are doing well now. The people who made quick snap judgments on them? Let’s just say they were wrong and they were wrong because they made judgments based on very superficial factors.

• MC says:

The high school cafeteria is a totally apt comparison because the decision (whether to sit at their table or buy their music) is based on how they “present” themselves. The end results are different, but the process is the same. The decision can often be rash and based on incomplete evidence.

6. Mike C. says:

I can already see how polarizing Adam, Daniel and the awful Shi are going to be. (I thought Jelly KILLED it. SMH.) But all in all, I have to say I feel a little optimistic. As a group, this 24 seems stacked with more talent than we’ve had the last few seasons.

7. CK says:

Is it bad that I was hoping that Shi would make it just to see Michael’s and Melinda’s reactions during next week Reality Check?

8. GoGo98102 says:

This show abandoned the rearch for the next super star and instead, tried to create the maximum drama for ratings for years now.

Unfortunately, they forgot that without a super star, the ratings go with it.

• MC says:

TBH, I don’t get excited about covers of songs (at least not anymore). I know they are “reimagined” or “rearranged,” but it’s one in a hundred that feels fresh to me. I watch to find a few performers who I might follow after the season is over. The popularity contest means nothing to me.

9. Andres says:

I feel like we have a pretty solid top 24.
    I feel like Daniel Trevor and Shannon need a bit more time. Mark and Alexis need to step it up as well But glad they made it.
    I am really excited to see Nick in the top 24.
    Can’t wait till next week

10. Woow, they did Najah sooo wrong. And to think she was one of my absolute favorites when I saw the leaked Top 48 prior the season airing. Damn.

Nice top 24, though. Will it go down to 10 or 12? Because I’m having trouble even bringing it down to 16.

11. Jobless says:

I thought the performances tonight were a lot better than last night’s. Got me a little excited about this season again after yesterday made me pump the brakes.

Add Ellen Petersen(the Beverly Hillbillies banjo girl) to the “never mentioned” list. Per her Twitter she was cut at Final Judgement.

12. Reality check fan! says:

I feel good about going into top 24 with this bunch! I haven’t been a Joey fan really, but seeing her reaction to making the cut…priceless. My favorite girl…Katherine Winton, her voice is so smooth. I love Shannons voice, but she is not ready for the live performances. Tough competition in the category for R&B females…Loren, Shi(would have liked Jelly instead), Adanna and Tyanna(I give her the edge in this category). My favorite guy…that’s hard. I will just make a run on and in no particular order…ClarkNickMarkSavion. Could have done without Daniel…give us another country guy to make it a race with Riley. Here’s to the hope that we will not be disappointed!

• Oh yeah…forgot Sarina. Sarina and Tyanna should be a possible race and vote split. Had a great laugh from the 48 Hours Mystery comment about Casey Thrasher. Can’t wait for the Reality Check episode!

13. Michael H. says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO HUNTER AND JELLY!!! I’m gonna miss them.

• Puchinsmom says:

I agree Michael H.They were my biggest disappointments. Although we haven’t seen Hunter in forever. But Jelly killed it at the House of Blues. So that was really tough to take. Especially since she was juxtaposed against Shi. I DO NOT get her
      (shi’s) voice at all. It’s strange and still sounds like she’s doing an impersonation. Of who(m?) I have no idea. Happy to see Savion and Joey. Hope Joey can tame her nerves.

• Lunakit says:

I was SO ready to put full support behind HUNTER!!!!! I just wanted to keep watching her perform…. hopefully she will be back next year or try the Voice….

• will says:

I can’t believe they would cut Hunter. She was like a ray of wonderful light every time she appeared. She was one of those you pick out and follow and hope, and I was gutted when she wasn’t even shown singing, but that usually means they had a good performance and didn’t want the blowback of getting rid of something great.

14. Mike says:

So She gets through and both Hunter and Jaq don’t. What did I miss? Were their House of Blues performances that bad?

• Lemon says:

I think they see Jaq, Hunter, Emily… as the JV Team, prepped for next year. They are young, and may already be cast in the AI 2016 show.

• HTGR says:

Hopefully, it’s weird how Jaq did great, as did the others in her group, and then they like totally hid her from view. She better hope the show is still around next season.

15. Rebecca Jones says:

Not since the season that Carrie Underwood won her fame and idol status, have I seen a more promising series of American Idol, as this season 2015. What an amazing show this is going to be. The talent that got send sent home would have made an incredible show. The talent that got kept…unbelievable, what an unbelievable season this is going to be.

• MC says:

Are we to assume that the talent that got “sent home” is not as good as those who were kept?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Other than Bo, Carrie, and Constantine I couldn’t tell you one contestant from that season. It was pretty lame. In fact, Carrie Underwood herself wasn’t real interesting and just kind of stood there and sang. predicted she wouldn’t have much of a career, LOL.

• Puchinsmom says:

I loved Bo that year. I felt he was heads over Carrie. LOL to me too! Guess my scouting career is over.

• JayNC says:

I know, I was rooting for Bo over Carrie, so what do I know. There was also Vonzell Solomon that year – she was good though I haven’t heard anything of her since.

• MC says:

There was also Anwar Robinson. It was one of my favorite seasons. There was a real consistency (and a certain electricity) from the frontrunners that season. The top performers from season four had great clarity and tonal quality imo.

• Ben says:

Yes, I wouldn’t call the season of Anthony Federov and Scott Savol one of the best bunches of talent ever.

16. trimaran12 says:

Sad to see Jelly go and Shi stay. Shi is beautiful but come on. We need diva realness. Riley and Mark couldn’t be more vanilla but the rest of them I like, or am at least willing to give them a chance to wow me.

• Jill Moy says:

What is this beauty you all see in Shi. She looks like she has an eating disorder…her body is nothing and her face is ehh! Do crows live in that hair!

• daezyg says:

Such hatred and evilness coming from you. Why must you constantly bash a contestant for their looks? I hardly think you’d be this hard on one of the guys. But a contestant you don’t like gets picked that a lot of people view as pretty, and the true colors come out.

And they’re called curls, Jill. A lot of girls have them, and they love them. Not everyone has perfectly wavy Barbie hair, and not everyone wants to have that. And who are you to call out someone for being skinny? And her face is symmetrical, and her features are actually decent.

If you want to post any type of cyber-bullying against an idol contestant, go to Tumblr or Twitter. This site promotes actual discussion.

• LeahKittyS says:

You’re wasting your time, daezyg. Jill is a big fat know-it-all who thinks she’s queen of the universe and her opinion is the only correct one. She berates not only the singers she dislikes, but also those who like them. And her style of writing in all capitals and ending everything with an exclamation point makes her come off as a crazy old person living in the basement because the rest of her family doesn’t want to put up with her. Last year I asked for proof that she was as beautiful and talented as she claims to be. That proof never came. So I have concluded that she is not only a bully, but also a liar. And a jealous one at that. She spends so much time belittling people she’s never even met that I question whether her self-esteem is genuine. I bet I’m prettier and a better singer than she will ever be. If you want to hear my original songs and covers, you can click the link on my name and it will take you to my YouTube channel.

Doesn’t that hurt your feelings to hear me say those things, Jill? I don’t know you, what gives me the right to talk that way about you? Well, I’m just giving you a taste of your own medicine. And as long as you are rude and disrespectful to the Idols, then I will treat you in the same manner. Only I will not shout in Internet text, because my parents brought me up with manners and taught me to respect everyone I interacted with, both in person and online. And that does not include calling people drunk, saying they’re the worst ever, or comparing their voices or appearances to animals or other undesirable things. Nor does it involve calling people deaf or blind when they disagree with you on a certain singer. That is not what civilized, educated people do. That is the behavior of savage, bitter nut cases.

• dax says:

you need more medication

• LeahKittyS says:

@dax How dare you accuse me of being insane. I treat people with the utmost respect, until they start bullying others. Then I give it right back to them. It’s a normal human thing to do. I was bullied for four straight years in school, and I refuse to suffer through it again. That’s why I’m being defensive. If anyone on this message board needs medication, it’s the person I address in the previous post. She needs to get over the fact that Idol picked someone else over her because she doesn’t fit the character they want to cast. How can you constantly criticize me for writing innocent stories while ignoring her calling names and bullying everyone who disagrees with her?

• Jill Moy says:

STUFF IT CLOWN! YOUR FANGS ARE SHOWING!

• Jill Moy says:

MS. LEAH…AKA MOMMY DEAREST! Last year a personwho commented last year gave 2 clues who I was. She asked me why a personof my staturewas commenting!Luckilynone of you questioned that person! An interview of mine was mentioned, etc., etc. Anyway I am entitled to my opinion! Why don’t you hit me with wire hangers MOMMY DEAREST!

• LeahKittyS says:

There you go again with the name calling. You may resent the rest of us calling you out, but as long as you are going to act like an unruly, immature child, then I will treat you like one. And if you’re so big and famous and great, then why don’t you use your real name? Or are you too afraid of bad publicity? So now you’re not just a bully and a liar, but also a coward. Until you show me how beautiful you are, I will continue to believe that you are ugly. Your attitude and personality sure as hell are. And until you show me your voice by linking me to a real video or recorded track of you singing, then I will continue to hear you as a scratchy, miserable old witch. You are a disgrace to this website and to the entire American Idol fandom.

• Im running out of COMET! JILL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• daezyg says:

Really, Jill? MY fangs? You clearly insulted a contestant. I just called you out on your BS. That’s okay, though. I can see your true colors now. Whatever valid opinion you ever had is now worthless. Enjoy being a troll.

• LeahKittyS says:

@daezyg I greatly appreciate your attempts to silence this troll. However, I should warn you it is in vain. She will not stop, even after the target of her venom has been eliminated. And TV Line will do nothing about it. Which is why I will no longer be commenting on this website. I will continue to read Michael’s recaps and watch Reality Check, but these comment sections have become too toxic an environment for me. The bullying from dax, Jill Moy, and the like are giving me PTSD. If you wish to communicate with me, I will be taking my comments to MJ’s Big Blog, where jerks like these are banned in a heartbeat when MJ catches them acting up. Goodbye, all. Enjoy the season.

• Jill Moy says:

It’s funny, another person says a singer looks like a vantriloquist’s dummy and nibody says a word! I say Shi kooks like a scarecrow and her hair looks like a crow’s nest and several people get all bent out of shaoe’ At least I didn’t call her a DUMMY!What’s worse, a scarecrow or a dummy????? I THOUGHT SO!!!!!!

• daezyg says:

I only scrolled through the first page, sister. And you are all over it, constantly spewing the same insults. It’s not about whose insult is worse. It’s about the fact that you felt the need to insult someone instead of offer a valid criticism. If you’re supposed to be someone who’s so talented and beautiful, then why show insecurity by insulting others? It is NOT mature, and it makes you look like a troll.

17. Kaba says:

Frikken loved Quassim. Sooooo much.
    Can’t take She seriously whatsoever, but idc if she’s there.
    Everyone else was nice, nothing insane imo

• LeahKittyS says:

Ever heard of the Nickelodeon show “The Naked Brothers Band?” I never watched it, but Quassim played a character on there.

• Kaba says:

I watched it a bit, absolutely stupid.
        I recognized it was him immediately because he’s literally the same as he was on the show.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I swear, Qassim’s performance started out nicely but when he started growling his way through “Satisfaction” I had flashbacks of Casey Abrams tossing his hat off in the middle of a decent performance and doing an annoying growl/sing through the rest of the song.
      I predict Qassim won’t make the Top 12.

• Kaba says:

See, I loved every ounce of it. I thought it perfectly suited the song and brought a new life into it and it rocked.
        I think he’s got just enough voice and showmanship to break top 12 if he polishes his vocals even more and carries on with the excellent performances!
        Besides, the other guys aside from like.. Quentin, Rayvon, and Clark don’t do much for me really.
        Ideally? I’d like to see a top 12 with the 6 guys being: Clark, Qaasim, Quentin, Rayvon, Trevor, Savion.
        The rest do nothing serious to me tbh.
        As for the girls…
        I’m only requiring Tyanna as an absolute so far. Jax is cool…but she appears to be someone who’ll get boring after a while.

• JayNC says:

Qaasim, yech! His mouth looks scary to me, sorry, I can’t get past that.

• Kaba Yes Yes Yes I absolutely love Qaasim’s singing and happy personality! So refreshing! My favorite!

18. LeahKittyS says:

Yeah, I do wish they’d explain why some good ones, like Ellen with the banjo, were cut. A few notes would have been fine with me. Still, I’m satisfied with the 24 they chose. Not sure who my favorites are yet; I usually don’t get attached until the live shows. There are some I’m afraid are going to cave under the pressure, and may overstay their welcome because the voters like something about them. (I think you can guess who I’m referring to.) But no matter who makes the finals, I’m in it for the long haul. With all the changes coming up, I’m curious to see what works and what doesn’t.

One last note: This would be when I would start my little weekly comment section story, but I haven’t got that kind of time this year. Plus, I got in trouble with the server (and several of you) for sharing links and making long posts, and I don’t want the flack again. Sorry if you were hoping for another one. I still have plenty of American Idol stories up on Deviant Art.

• Jessamine says:

Aw, I’ll miss your stories. But glad you’re still commenting! I agree–this season has a LOT of potential. It remains to be seen if the contestants can bring it once they start performing live, however. Last season’s crop seemed excellent, but they were all beset by giant attacks of nerves and never lived up to their promise. As much as I like Joey Cook, I don’t think she’s going to be able to handle the pressure.

• dax says:

good news…..now just don’t get manic and change your mind

19. Timmah says:

Is it just me, or does Mark Andrew look a lot like Casey from a few seasons back?

20. jane says:

Top 24 that I will assume will be whittled down to a top 12 or 13 (if there are wild cards this year). I will miss Banjo Girl, but I always felt that they included 6 or 7 girls/ guys that are excellent a few that make me question the judges sanity in order to secure the final top 12 they really want. So the few, like Shi hopefully, end up being fodder for the first live round. And as an extra bonus, they can’t come back next year, unlike Hunter or Jelly that can. I am confident that America will cut the ones that shouldn’t have made it this far anyway, like “aww..isn’t he cute” Daniel Seavy. They were wrong to put him through.

21. Jill Moy says:

Jelly, Peterson and others were robbed, ala Brianna Oakley and Melanie Porras of last year! Nothing new!

• Jill Moy says:

I’ve tried 20 times to comment on horrible singer Hollywood. For some reason it won’t go through! Is he a stock holder of Fox? Is this why not one person mentioned him after you all drooled over him? He never was good!

22. Brandy says:

FYI–They have posted the full performances of all top 24 on Vevo’s YouTube channel. Pretty good stuff,

• Timmah says:

Thanks, I just found them. They’re titled “American Idol – House of Blues:” on Youtube if anyone is looking for them.

• Timmah says:

Having watched several of them, I think my favorite one so far is Adam’s. He’s got a hell of a rock voice. Much better than Caleb Johnson (not that that’s saying much).

• The Other Leah says:

No way. Say what you want about Caleb, but don’t take away his incredible singing talent by comparing him to Adam. It’s no contest. Caleb is a fantastic rock vocalist!

• Timmah says:

Well, we have a difference of opinion then. Caleb to me is Rock Lite. Adam is the real deal, though he doesn’t appear to be much of a ladies’ man so I don’t expect him to go very far once the voting starts.

23. Tom22 says:

I’m still enjoying the “Will the whale live at the end of Free Willy?,” line .

It Should be a fine season with some personalities and styles for everyone. I don’t think we’re entitled to hope for more than 3 or 4 of our favorites to go through because not everyone has the same tastes and they’ll pick to make sure there are types for everyone’s taste, not the top 24 of one type of taste. I think that’s the best way to get ones head around things like seeing one of your 5 or 6th favorites passed over by someone you don’t like but other people might.

24. Kate says:

I am VERY excited about Quentin Alexander, just for unpredictable style/song choices. He is not going to come out in a collarless leather jacket and sing “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.”

• Puchinsmom says:

Wouldn’t it be funny if he read that, and then decided to come out and do that exact same thing? But seriously, he had a really interesting voice. And you can tell how much his music means to him, without his getting too dramatic about it.

• JayNC says:

Yeah, I really like him. Crazy hair and outfits and seems like a really cool guy.

• Lana says:

My favorite is Quentin and Clark, but this is a very good group minus Jax and Shi. Should have been Jelly but her weight held her back, unfortunately its the way of the idol world according to the judges.

25. Kate says:

Yaaaaas to Nick. I am a GROWNUP LADY, not a swaybot, and I, frankly, could use a man my own age to crush on who is also talented and experienced. Any daaaamn are the genes strong in his family. He is his dad’s double, “Looper” style.

26. Kate says:

Just finished. I feel good about the fact that only 2 of the top 24 make me feel RAGEY. Insufferable Child Daniel and Insufferable Shi by Sheree. If we can knock those two out before top 12, we could have a good season ahead, friends!

27. safado says:

The best thing about AI this season is that there’s so much less of it.

28. Leesa Geeen says:

I thought this show was about talent. Why does everything have to be “politically correct”. Why does it have to be half male and half female if that’s not where the talent falls. The judges should stand up for the talent not what the network tells them to do. That’s what the show is about.

• Kate says:

The hell? Where did political correctness and “the network” come in? I love when people who don’t really know anything about how TV is produced share their pronouncements about it.

• MC says:

I agree because the main point here is “where the talent falls.” I’m not sure it’s political correctness or simply appealing to the widest possible demographic. I usually feel that half of the males every season are filler because boys simply don’t mature (i.e., reach their potential) as fast as girls. This season the boys are fairly good, but there are still a few weak ones in there. I probably would have advanced fifteen of the girls and nine of the boys, but obviously the constraints of this stringent 12-12 requirement would prevent that. I think the judges would love to break that 12-12 mold, but the producers wag their fingers and say “Not going to happen.”

29. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak – Joey Cook’s “Sweet Pea” is not the Sweet Pea from my childhood of Tommy Roe fame. It’s by Amos Lee and despite sounding like it came straight out of the Billy Rose song catalog it’s fairly recent and was used in an AT&T commercial.

• LeahKittyS says:

Wow, I didn’t realize Mike credited the wrong artist there. I really like that song, and I remember the commercial. The dad was going on a business trip and his daughter gave him her stuffed monkey, and he would take pictures of it in different places and send them to her. So cute.

• darcy's evil twin says:

That’s the one. I’m not faulting Mr. Slezak. I’m a huge fan of his and he does a tremendous job covering Idol. But if readers went to YouTube for Tommy Roe’s “Sweet Pea” they would be surprised to find an upbeat, bubble-gummy song with lyrics like “Oh, Sweet Pea, come on and dance with me, come on come on come on and dance with me-e-e. Oh, Sweet Pea, won’t you be my girl. Won’t you won’t you won’t you be my gir-ir-irl”. :-)

30. darcy's evil twin says:

There was absolutely no suspense this season and I missed it. There was no contestant that was previously pretty much unseen coming out of nowhere. Unless it’s my imagination this season was more predictable than any other season, although I was a bit surprised Emily Brook didn’t make the Top 24.
    I think they have a fairly strong Top 24, assuming the decent ones make it and the lesser performers like Shi are sent packing. Hopefully we won’t see travesties like previous seasons where good contestants don’t make the final cut (Katelyn Epperle, Lilly Scott, Lauren Turner, Todrick Hall, Breanna Steer, Kendra Chantelle, and Mr. Slezak’s favorite, Mishavonna Henson).

31. Jill Moy says:

Why should it be even for males and females, 12 apiece! A lot of great talent is eliminated because of the stupid, ridiculous format!

32. Reb says:

So we got to keep Shi over Jelly?

33. Bohr says:

A- for Qaasim’s ‘Satisfaction’? Really? Mmmkay. :-| The annoying Loren & Shi’s spots should have gone to more deserving contenders like Emily, Jelly, Hunter, etc.

34. Bohr says:

My top 13:
    Riley, Savion, Clark, Quentin, Rayvon, Nick, Michael, Trevor
    Sarina, Joey, JAX, Tyanna, Katherine

35. zac says:

Slezak, you forgot to include Erika David in the Never Even Mentioned/Possible Subjects for 48 Hours: Mystery

• darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak was never crazy about Erika although Melinda liked her. Anyone that successfully sings Beyonce’s “Halo” should get pass through to whatever the next level is, even if it’s a guy (who was that one guy that just destroyed “Halo”, and not in a good way?)

36. Debbie Y. says:

All in all, I’m pretty happy with the top 24. Thrilled to death that Nick and Mark made the cut, as well as Clark, Rayvon, Savion, Tyanna and Trevor. I still think it’s unfair to have to have an equal number of guys and girls. If there are more talented artists of one sex than another, so be it. I would not put someone like Shi through just because we needed another girl (especially when Jess Lamb got cut in Hollywood week and Hunter got cut!). Shi is undeniably gorgeous, but I’m on the fence on her singing talent. She takes on the affectations of whoever’s song she’s covering. She does Winehouse, she mimics Winehouse. Duffy. Etta. I think we are going to find a complete lack of artistry and originality with her unfortunately. Jelly took her ouster with grace and class. She’s a gem. I really feel Daniel needed another year or two before he’s a serious competitor. He will probably go farther than he should because he is cute and the tween girls will vote for him like mad while Nick and Mark will become cannon fodder because of their ages. I can only hope that doesn’t happen.

37. Kiki says:

Jelly was so much better than Shi! Shi gets annoyingly self-conscious…I think she perpetuates that because maybe people have told her that quirky, coltish behavior is cute. I am DUMBFOUNDED at Harry for letting this decision go through. I know what it’s about, too. Jelly is a big woman. Shi is not. Shi is “the package.” Well, I call bull poop on that!!! We don’t care what singers look like if they are great! If they have charisma! If they move us!!! And I agree with whomever said they don’t mind having “older” men. But “older” women? No. They won’t do. IDOL, you are so showing your marketing colors, and I am disappointed, seriously disappointed, and America, we need to start showing these people with our pocketbooks that we will not put up with ageism and sexism. I’m sitting here, a conservative woman in some ways, and socially liberal in others. Let’s stop letting jacka**es run our entertainment industry. Let’s stand up for true talent like Jelly!!! I’ll say it again: Harry, how could you let this happen??????? I’ve lost some respect for him as a result.

• Shazza says:

Agreed 100%. I pretty much like the line-up that’s been selected so far, but to pick Shi & let Jelly go is just wrong & is so obviously a case of looks being picked over talent.
      Up until now had been enjoying the show, but c’mon Idol! – your viewers ain’t deaf!

• MC says:

I am not sure why it was all on Harry. I respect him very much, but the judges are pawns in this selection process. They have some input, but the producers make the final decisions imo. Okay, here’s the tough part. Jelly is a terrific natural talent, but she is very raw by her own admission. This was her first attempt at putting herself out there. It’s a national stage and you need confidence. I would have given Jelly a shot, but realize that nerves were an issue with her. Shi has a great reservoir of confidence and her training as a model helps her in subtle ways, such as poise and posture. I don’t think this should have been a Shi vs. Jelly decision because Joey imo was weaker than both of them.

• Jill Moy says:

How can Harry let it happen? This the same judge who put through BRISTON MARONEY to top 15 boys last year. This kid is the world’s worst singer! Check it out for yourself! Thanks.

38. JS says:

How did Shi make it over everyone of the other contestants? This just shows that the show is fixed. If this was a true talent competition, then the Shi would have never made it passed Hollywood week. I guess I will have to vote more frequently this season just to get her off as soon as possible.

39. Meg says:

NBC is making a big mistake with one hour shows. Vevo on YouTube has the full performances from House of Blues. Wow! What a difference to see the entire song. That would have been the way to get America excited about this top 24!

40. Kristin says:

You guys are hilarious and mostly RIGHT ON!

41. Me. says:

What happened to Ben then dad from last year? We saw him in the top 48 room. LOVED him.

42. Dan the critic says:

I thought Jaq Mackenzie got robbed. They didn’t show her sing and she should be top 8 along with Jax, Adanna, Loren, Shi, Shannon, Joey, and Tyanna. The top 12 guys are all solid.

43. The Other Leah says:

Hunter?

44. Meme says:

Joey’s unique vocal and style could get her far. I love the tone of Katherine’s voice. Savion definitely deserves his spot, and I think Riley is a new star just waiting to be discovered.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I have a problem with Joey’s voice (not to mention Shi and Jax. They all kind of strike me as similar). I also can’t stand the ukelele – I’m sure that’s something from my childhood that we can blame on Tiny Tm. :-)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Tiny Tim

• Kiki says:

I feel terrible for saying this, but for Joey’s sake, since she’ll have a lot of close-ups, I hope she got some dental work done between the taped show and the live ones.

• Puchinsmom says:

Dental work is really expensive. And plus didn’t you just comment about looks not mattering?

• kierankramer says:

Yes, looks shouldn’t matter, but people will not vote for Joey based on looks. That’s my point. It’s a darned shame for her to lose votes based on appearance.

I know how expensive dental work is. I have a friend who is a dentist who does it free twice a year with a big group of dentists in my town, and the lines are out the door. People literally wait all night to get seen.

• LeahKittyS says:

Bad teeth didn’t stop Elliot Yamin and Crystal Bowersox from going as far as they did on Idol.

• Timmah says:

Agree on Joey and Katherine, they are two of my favs. Riley to me just sounds like Blandy McBlanderson though.

45. Keith says:

I really would like to see what happened to Hunter. She was showing out early in the show, and then nothing. She must have really shown a weakness, because she seems to have the parts of the package.

46. Iakovos says:

Go go go, Nick Fradiani!

47. Qassim Middleton is a pro. How is he eligible for AI. The fix is in; he’s a ringer.

• Ben says:

At what point in the last ten years did you not realise that people of Qaasim’s level of “professional” have always made the top 24? There are always people complaining about it every year.

• BobL says:

Ringer? The guy is terrible. Watch his entire HOB performance on youtube: it’s truly awful. Unlistenable, really. And the worst thing is, the man is completely full of himself.

• XD says:

People who have had record deals and failed albums in the past, yes. People who have acted on mainstream TV, no.