Yaya DaCosta Cast as Chicago Med Nurse — and Fire Love Interest

Chicago Med Yaya DaCosta

Of course Severide’s next love interest will look like she just stepped off the cover of a magazine.

Chicago Fire has tapped former America’s Next Top Model contestant Yaya DaCosta — who recently starred as Whitney Houston in Lifetime’s biopic — to play Maggie Seaver, an old acquaintance of the firefighter and a nurse who’ll be a central character at potential spinoff Chicago Med, our sister site Deadline reports.

“Severide is going to reconnect with a girl he went to high school with,” executive producer Matt Olmstead tells TVLine. “It’s an interesting connection of someone that he wasn’t romantic with. She was the alt chick who sat next to him in homeroom, but they had a connection.”

RELATED NBC Renews Blacklist, Chicago Fire, Grimm and Two Other Dramas

Despite not running in the same social circle, it’s revealed that “there’s a debt that he owes her.”

The two “reassume their old dynamic, and there’s a real friendship there,” the EP continues. “They both went through a tough time together. So it’s gratifying for him to see her, meet her again and reconnect.”

DaCosta — whose TV credits include guest spots on Ugly Betty, Unforgettable and House — will appear in Episode 19 of Chicago Fire, which will serve as a planted pilot for the franchise’s medical offshoot.

Stoked about this bit of casting — and possible love connection? Sound off in the comments!

1. kn1231 says:

I started watching Chicago Fire, because I want to watch Chicago PD, because I am a Sophia Bush fan. I must say I was annoyed at having to watch Chicago Fire first so I would know everyone, I actually really enjoy the show. Now the same annoyance is coming back about this Chicago Med, but I assume it will be good as well and I will end up enjoying all three shows.

Wish they would have kept Dawson on the medical track, she would have been a great lead for Chicago Med. I don’t mind her FF storyline right now, but she also would make a great doctor, and her and Casey wouldn’t have to work in the same workplace.

• Cort says:

That would be pretty cool if they somehow managed a way to make this happen. And we’d still see her with Casey via mini crossovers.

• Nancy says:

That would have been great if Dawson could have been a dr on Chicago Med.

• Wow, I didn’t realize this could even be a possibility, that would be a great idea!

• bj says:

It’s not possible. Dawson’s an EMT. She’s taken a course at a community college. She needs a medical degree to be a doctor. Even if she’s taken a few courses she’s got a long way to go to be qualified.

• debbie says:

I really like Sophia Bush…I don’t think I have ever heard or seen her work prior to Chicago Fire. She is sooo good. I was brokenhearted when it seemed she was leaving the unit; so glad she was brought back to the Intelligence Family; she is a great fit.

2. Cort says:

Interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with Chicago Med…guess they’ll never run them all on the same night…would be complete overload. Love Yaya though so I’m definitely in.

3. Melody says:

She is stunningly beautiful and would be a awesome love interest for Severide!! I hope CHICAGO MED takes off with a bang!!!!

4. Cousin O'yaya says:

I hope the new cast has some LGBT representation especially since they killed off the one gay person in both shows, I find the show very realist except for the Lack of LGBT characters.

• Anna says:

Wasn’t Shay’s doctor friend, Kendra, gay? Hopefully she’s on Chicago Med – she’s an established character that already works at the hospital!

5. tebe says:

Interesting if we’ll see dylan baker and amanda righetti in spin-off. i really liked their characters during the explosion x-over and it would keep their universe wholly integrated.

6. Basically Severide will date all the female leads of every Chicago Fire spin off.

7. Ian says:

Love Yaya, so yeah, I’m watching.

8. lets-connect says:

This security isn’t only beneficial if you aare within the one place but while you are traveling around using various wifi
    hotspots. The new Micromax Q75 comes which has a full QWERTY keypad and has now
    the option for Dual SIM GSM cards with Dual sstandby option. Twitter
    – Yes, Access Twitter From Your Phone Or Via Text Message.

9. Tran says:

Hope NBC should picked up Chicago Med as a series and continue to build on the success of both Fire and PD.

10. Zu says:

i am such a fan of Yaya and I think this would be a great couple. I haven’t loved too many of Severide’s love interests for him particularly ( other than his mostly platonic relationship with Shay) I had really hoped Severide and Dawson would become better friends and have more scenes dealing with the loss of Shay but they’re rarely seen interacting on a personal level. Which is uber annoying. But either way Yaya & Taylor aesthetically make a great looking couple and i like the dynamic of her knowing him from highschool – I can’t wait to see them together!

11. Bwhit says:

I like the idea of their backround together but why link them romantically? If Chicago Med gets picked up it is just going to be like what happened with Lindsay. I get why they do this because there are only two female series regulars and I think if he and Dawson had a thing(just writing that feels wrong lol) the backlash would be huge and I don’t see anything happening with Brett. I guess Severide will always be the guy that has short relationships and quickie marriages :).

• kn1231 says:

I actually liked his wife. It was a horrible storyline, but after a few episodes I liked her. Wish they would have kept her around.

• Bwhit says:

That’s how I felt! I love Serinda Swan (his wife) from Graceland but I was kind of happy she left because although I’m mad at her character on Graceland, I love her on that show.

• Zu says:

Yeah – I feel you on Dawson and \Severide romantically ( Thought I can secretly hope – can’t I ? Lol) .But it still made sense for them to be better friends with the death of Shay bringing them closer – that would have been a better (fake) conflict for Casey/Dawson then this storyline of their job coming between them.. ( which to be honest i’m still really confused at the breakup & the melodrama…) Right now it seems unless either of them get new jobs, they’re going to stay broken up. I also feel like the longer they keep them separated the less people will buy them getting back together as legitimate.

I dunno. It may just be me.

As for severide only having short relationships and no real ships. I agree they might need more females in the regular cast – that’s the only way. They could add an office worker? Lol

12. Mary Ann says:

Maggie Seaver is, and always will be, Mike Seaver’s mom.

13. Yayme2015 says:

I would love a spin off. Chicago Med, yes please!

14. cyclone says:

Maggie Seaver? Seriously? As in the mother from Growing Pains that Joanna Kerns played? They gotta change that name somehow. And why is it that Severide always gets the love interests that crossover to the spinoff, it happened with him and Erin Lindsay from Chicago PD too.

15. liame says:

Good job. I love her!

16. Vicky says:

I always wanted Severide to end up with Erin Lindsey. No body really cares about them putting Mouch with the grumpy desk sergeant :(.

17. Cashona says:

Yaya rocks! She’s going to do an amazing job! So proud of her! Count me in!😄

18. debbie says:

I love Chicago Fire. Chicago PD and I am sure I will love Chicago Med. I like the cross-over between the two shows and the transition between the shows is excellent. I remember Ya Ya from Americas Next Top Model; she is taking advantage of every opportunity. I hope she stays humble and thankful for the doors which have opened for her. I remember Taylor from Trauma…don’t know why it wasn’t picked up after the first season…but we wouldn’t have him in Chicago Fire then.

19. sandy says:

there is no chemistry between yaya and severide.!!!!!!!!!!!!