Ratings: Fresh Off the Boat Starts Strong, Empire Rises, Stalker Hits Low

Fresh Off the Boat Ratings

ABC’s Fresh Off the Boat bowed well in its special Wednesday night, double-episode debut.

The first episode at 8:30 pm delivered 7.9 million total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating (per finals), up 10 percent and two tenths from what The Goldbergs most recently did in the time slot.

The second helping at 9:30 did 7.5 mil/2.3, improving 15 and 21 percent on the latest black-ish. TVLine readers gave the new comedy an average grade of “B+”; next week, it moves to its regular Tuesdays-at-8 time slot.

Opening ABC’s night, The Middle (8.2 mil/2.2) was steady. Modern Family (9.9 mil/3.4) rose 5 and 13 percent, and Nashville (5.1 mil/1.3) returned down 10 percent and two tenths, tying its season low.

Elsewhere….

FOX | American Idol (11.2 mil/3.1) ticked up two tenths week-to-week; Empire (11.5 mil/4.6) added a few eyeballs and surged three tenths in the demo. Chart? Chart!
Empire Ratings

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (6.3 mil/1.0) and SVU (6.2 mil/1.3) were steady, while Chicago PD (7.5 mil/1.6) ticked up a tenth to its best rating since the Nov. 12 crossover conclusion.

CBS | The Mentalist (8.9 mil/1.2) and Criminal Minds (10.3 mil/2.0) each dipped a tenth, while Stalker (7.3 mil/1.3) slipped 12 percent and two tenths (to a series low).

THE CW | Arrow (2.94 mil/1.2) rose a tenth, The 100 (1.51 mil/0.5) was flat.

1. Tran says:

Fresh Off the Boat looks promising but this doesn’t bode well now that it’s going to be on Tuesdays @ 8 going up against NCIS and The Flash.

2. schumi8 says:

Wow Arrow went up a tenth…nice!!! Divisive ending to last nights episode….

3. Jenna says:

Awesome for Empire.
    Network TV take note: hits are still possible. Settling for high 1’s to 2 in the demo is boring…and viewers notice.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Look at Empire go!!! I thought that was a stellar episode of Nashville last night. Kept my interest for the entire hour which usually doesn’t happen. That and The 100 were the only shows I watched live last night. The 100 was kinda meh for me. I’m just not buying Clarke as this powerful, fearless leader. Not sure why.

5. Joy Davidson says:

Damn it Stalker! Come on!

• Tran says:

Don’t want to be the bearer of bad news here but I feel like Stalker should be a goner soon on CBS as does The McCarthys. The network doesn’t promote these two as “breakout hits”.

6. love says:

more people should watch stalker really

7. DAG says:

Loving Wednesday nights! American Idol, Empire and Nashville!

8. Nicole says:

I love your nerding out over the charts.

9. dan says:

Anyone else disappointed with Modern Family this season? Just not funny. The acting is way over the top and the sight gags have gotten slap-sticky. We keep waiting for a funny episode as each week goes by, but so far nothing like the good old days (about two or three years ago when they actually deserved the Emmy).

• Ray says:

In a word, yes. From a creative standpoint, this season should be the last but we all know ABC will milk it until the ratings start declining drastically.

• Ron says:

I still think there’s *some* creativity left to be had with MF, the writers just aren’t quite realizing it yet. I’m still cautiously optimistic. And, in my opinion, given other things that are still on the air, it’s still not a horrible show. Also, it had the second highest demo rating of the night with a 3.4, and that’s a great demo rating. People are still clearly watching. No network in their right minds would cancel a show that is pulling in a 3.4 demo rating, especially a show that is pulling in that kind of rating in its 6th season.

• 169 sunset says:

yes! I was thinking the same thing. There hasn’t been an episode since the premiere that I thought was funny.

• Sara says:

It felt like home work so I stopped watching it in October. It hasn’t been funny in a while

• MiaB says:

Agreed. I keep recording it, and then thinking, “I have to watch Modern Family.” Well, no I don’t, and I’m about to stop.

• Boiler says:

I think about 10 million people disagree with you and ABC has got nothing, now or coming up, that can match what it does. I still think it is funny personally. The only problem I think they have is dealing with the kids getting older

10. LT says:

I loved all of The CW last night! ARROW was awesome and The 100 just keeps me on the edge of my seat.

11. Catherine Haenze says:

I just watched Fresh off the Boat. I thoroughly enjoyed it, laughing out loud several times…unusual since most humor nowadays depends on foul language and unnecessary scatological references,
    I spent my teen years in Taiwan, so there is definitely some identification going on here. I spent my 11th grade in the States. When I went to football games, I had NO idea what was happening. If the kids I was with stood up and cheered, so did I without one ounce of idea why.
    The comments on his lunch box were right on. The pecking order in school was right on. I missed Taiwan like Eddie misses D.C.
    Please, please, please keep it clean, relying on wit and circumstances to make it funny and enjoyable for the ENTIRE family.

12. Sydney says:

Fresh Off the Boat was funny. Definitely, keep watching.

13. kmw says:

Empire keeps on rising, this is amazing that it is doing this, and I hope the television execs take notice and try to find shows like this that can keep people tuned in. CBS was down last night, but I hope The Mentalist gets good numbers for their last episode. FOTB did pretty well, hope they do well on Tuesday night

14. Et Al says:

Looks like ABC has another hit that they’ll kill with bad scheduling choices.

15. IJS says:

Did Fresh Off the Boat deliver higher ratings than last week’s Black-ish’s repeat episodes or their last new episode, which was two weeks ago? Not clear in the article.

16. Tina says:

fresh off the boat was pure garbage. and usually i like garbage shows. but this one was abysmal

17. Netty says:

Just when you think Empire has stabilized..super impressed

18. David4 says:

Fresh Off the Boat is DOA. Watch the ratings drop 50%+ within a week or two.

19. Lizo says:

So, shows focusing on characters of colour did well. Suck it, racists.

20. Amy H says:

How was Nashville at season low? Such a great episode. I blame ABC in part — next to no publicity and a LONG hiatus. Do they want it to tank?

21. Kayla says:

I actually thought that fresh off the boat would be good but realized it wasn’t one I watched. I don’t much like the show. I do love stalker tho, I hope they give it at least one more season!!! At least one more shot cause it’s really good!!!

22. maud says:

really love Stalked. What does CBS expect when they have said it’s unlikely to be renewed. Please change your mind and give it more time. It has a lot of loyal fans.

23. maud says:

Sorry about typo I meant Stalker

• Joy Davidson says:

I’m really angry that CBS doesn’t promote the show properly. They should do that more. Do they want this show to die? Just like they are doing The McCarthys?! SMH!

24. Viv says:

Fresh off the boat is so cute! I love the mom. She is hilarious. They all are. I will definitely keep watching…

25. Jason says:

FOB wasn’t all that funny…it was boring.