Jane the Virgin Stars Preview Rafael vs. Xo Battle: 'There's Definitely Tension'

On Monday’s Jane the Virgin (The CW, 9/8c), the titular heroine preps her boyfriend/baby daddy Rafael for dinner with her family, but winning over her disapproving mom Xo will prove even harder than the couple fears.

“There’s definitely tension. Let’s put it that way,” Andrea Navedo previews.

For starters, Rafael rubs Xo the wrong way when he says Jane should do whatever she wants when it comes to her career, since he’ll take care of her and the baby financially.

“I just can’t get past the fact that he has a lot of money, and it makes me prejudiced toward him,” Navedo says of her character. “So it puts me on the defensive, because I feel like he’s of a different world. He’s not of Jane’s world, he’s not of my world. And what does he want? What’s he up to? Can’t trust him.”

Star Gina Rodriguez points out that the young heroine’s two suitors also serve as an allegory for her professional struggle.

RELATED PaleyFest 2015 Adds Glee, Jane the Virgin, Outlander, Homeland and More

“Jane has a dream of being a writer, but her safe plan is teaching,” Rodriguez says. “I feel like Michael [equals] teaching and Rafael is writing.” Given that Jane’s grandmother Alba is pro-stability and encourages her to take a teaching position, it’s no surprise that Rafael “doesn’t quite mesh right away” with the clan.

“I accept the meeting of the minds,” Ivonne Coll says of Alba’s outlook. “But when he starts to express himself in a way that Xo thinks [is] condescending to her, that’s it. The battle starts there.”

So will the less-than-successful meal cause the couple to split up?

“There’s a lot of breaking points, but what’s nice about it is that, at the end of the day, she’s having his baby, and he will do whatever he can to make sure that things are OK,” Justin Baldoni says.

Meanwhile, on another romantic front, Xo’s vow of chastity leads to an awkward-yet-hilarious embrace with Rogelio.

“When they hug, Xiomara [pulls] away, and Rogelio goes like, ‘Xiomara, what’s wrong? First, yesterday, and now today. Why are you so afraid to have your pelvis touch mine?'” Jaime Camil says, laughing.

1. dude says:

I don’t really agree with Gina’s allegory if she’s means that Michael = Stability and Rafael doesn’t seeing as Rafael is the more financially sound investment. It’s sad that they’re so set on ignoring Jane’s chemistry with Michael and forcing her with Rafael. He comes across very smarmy and has been written as such a Mary Sue he practically glows every time he comes on screen (and in one episode he did).

• brandydanforth81 says:

Well to me Micheal comes as immature,petty,jelous,vindictive and bonded by jealously that he’ll do ANYTHING to pin Rafael as Sin zeros toros ,even if he s not.

• Amanda says:

Actually, there hasn’t been proof that Rafael doesn’t know about Sin Whatever…..that’s just a bunch of people wishing he doesn’t. I think he does know what’s going on, I don’t believe he’s THAT stupid.

• brandydanforth81 says:

True.I think it’s Rafael’s dad & he knows but it’s not Rafeal.I was just saying Micheal is so blinded by his jelousy of Rafael that he’s soo sure he’s Din Rostros hell look like a fool if it turns out not to be Rafael.

• Carrie says:

Michael went behind her back to ensure that she wouldn’t keep the baby and started hooking up with his partner the moment she broke up with him. He’s no saint. I think Jane and Rafael have a lot of chemistry.

• Valerie says:

Exactly. I’m getting tired of the whole ‘Michael is such a good guy’ routine. Neither of them is all good or all bad. They come with shades of gray. My problem is that Michael for someone who has been for so long with Jane and knowing her the way he does has been extremely selfish (with for example asking her to give up the baby and her job)… I’m sorry but that’s something I’m not ready to forgive just yet.

2. Mark My Words says:

Is it just me or I am more invested with Jane and Michael, than Jane and Rafael? (Rafael’s probably my least fave character too!)

I loooove this show but I just didn’t like the fact that Jane just blew up her 2-year relationship with Michael just like that for a guy he met 5 years ago. That’s just rude and well, slutty. I wish they have delved in more with Michael and Jane before she got out of their relationship.

I find Rafael annoying. And I hope Petra ruins the hell out of him. There I said it.

• Ari says:

I’m not a big Rafael fan. He’s just so bland. He’s in love with the idea of having a family and Jane is the mother of his child. I really don’t think he’d be interested in her if the baby didn’t exist.

3. Will says:

While I do prefer Jane & Michael, I would actually like to see Jane choose: herself & her baby. I mean, why does she need a man to make her happy? Yes, I’d imagine it would be difficult raising that baby alone, but she wouldn’t be alone – she could still have Rafael in her life without the romantic aspect for now. I get it though, it’s a “soap” and while I love the series I just wish a show would finally have a woman pick herself instead of choosing between men.

4. Kim says:

Happy to see the focus is back on Jane and Raphael’s relationship. Found last Monday’s episode kind of boring. I think Xo is projecting her insecurities about Rogelio onto Rafael. She see’s them as the same kind of guy. It’s funny that Xo gave up her safe guy for the same reasons Jane let go of hers, the spark was missing.

I believe Gina was talking about emotional risk more than financial risk when comparing Michael and Rafael. Does she pick the man that she is pretty sure about or choose the man of her fantasy’s that can turn out to be just that. You will have some that scream you went to school for the last four years to become a teacher don’t throw that away…And some will say you have a chance to follow your dream don’t miss this opportunity. I am team dream because team safe was not built on who or what Jane is but on not being like her mother..who I think while not perfect is a great person.

5. Andrea says:

I don’t feel that it really matters if Xo approves of Raphael, because like it or not he is going to be a permanent fixture in the Villaneuva family. He is the father of of her grandchild, regardless of his relationship status with Jane. At the end of the day that is his power play, and not even Xo can find fault in the fact that he wants to be good parent. Unfortunately, it will take an uncomfortable dinner for her to realize that.

6. brandydanforth81 says:

Janes an adult,she dosent need her moms approval/permission to be with Rafeal.

7. aaj says:

Michael is making poor decisions, yes, but only because he put in two years with Jane only to have his ring returned a week before the wedding. Jane shouldn’t think that Michael’s going to share what he learns on an investigation right away – sure, he shouldn’t let her give the baby to a woman who probably doesn’t want to be a mother, but he also shouldn’t be expected to tell her everything about a pretty important case and potentially ruin the case. Jane was ready to marry Michael- she should also be ready to marry a detective and put some work into the relationship before just cutting it off so quickly.