The Originals Winter Premiere Recap: The Hunger Games

The Originals Klaus

What do you get when you take a swarm of super-hungry vampires and magically lock them into a compound with a pack of super-delicious werewolves? Why, instant chaos, of course!

And that’s exactly what Finn was hoping for when he cast his little spell in The Originals‘ winter premiere, all part of his plan to find out where Klaus had stashed their mother. He was more than a little taken aback when he discovered she’d been turned into a vampire, which might explain why he reserved her a spot on the floor next to Mikael. (Do I smell another body-swapping spell in the very near future?)

But Finn’s entrapment spell wasn’t all bad. It gave us some great moments between Josh and Aiden (the supernatural Romeo and Juliet), as well as some memorable scenes with Kol and Davina (the supernatural Dylan and Brenda). And come on, if you’re going to be trapped in a building all day, can you imagine a better-looking bunch of captives with whom to share a space?

I rest my case.

originals-rebekahNEW GIRL | Speaking of being trapped, Rebekah — in her shiny new witch body — woke up in an insane asylum, with only Cassie and a (presumed friendly) ghost to help her bust out. And while a daring escape wasn’t quite in the cards for Bex this week, the tail end of the episode did throw a pretty major curveball her way: The mysterious being who’d been communicating with her was none other than her sister, Freya! Rebekah doesn’t know that yet, but hey, dramatic irony has always been one of The Originals‘ strongest suits.

GETTING TO KNOW YOU | Just as executive producer Julie Plec foretold, the winter premiere brought a whole lot of “turmoil” for Hayley, as she decided whether or not to tell Jackson about her recent tryst with Elijah. Ultimately, she decided it was best to come clean — but she probably wasn’t expecting Jackson to ask if she’s in love with Elijah (and her silence spoke volumes.) She also probably wasn’t expecting Jackson to forgive her, nor did she expect him to follow that apology with a beautiful proposal. And how could she have said no to that?

BOOZE & BOARD GAMES | While all of the above was going down, Elijah and Cami — arguably the show’s most unlikely pair — were stuck at Klaus’ safe house, where they also passed the time by raiding the liquor cabinet. It was a smart move by Klaus to ask Cami to pick his brother’s brain, but I’m even more relieved that she finally knows Hope is alive. Talk about a massive weight off her shoulders.

Your thoughts on The Originals winter premiere? Are you glad Hayley and Jackson are going through with their engagement? And what fresh hell will Freya raise in the Big Easy? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Cort says:

My favorite part of this entire article…Kol and Davina are the supernatural Brenda and Dylan. My day is made. Thank you LOL

• J.B. says:

I agree with you 100%

• Ally Oop says:

I’m not sure how they are Brenda and Dylan (I was never a big 90210 fan) but I do really like Kol and Davina together. I hope the character of Kol stays on the show, no matter what actor plays him. It worries me that they upped the actor who plays Finn to regular status for next season but didn’t mention the actor who plays Kol. I hate the character of Finn. If Claire Holt never returns to the show as a series regular I will be very disappointed but if Kol remains at least that’s an okay consolation prize.

• J.B. says:

I said something similar earlier today. I agree that Finn is a terrible character and I’m not fond of the actor.

The Dylan/Brenda joke is that on 90210 Dylan was the “bad boy” type and Brenda was the “vulnerable good girl who falls for the wrong guy” type. So it is somewhat like Kol/Davina

2. Riana says:

As soon as you know who’s playing Freya you need to post an article about it.

3. Dennis says:

I want the real Rebecca back!

4. FatherOctavian says:

I did care much for Natalie Dreyfuss as Esther-in-Cassie, Sonja Sohn having done a whole lot more with the role, but I was pleasantly surprised that Ms. Dreyfuss gave an entirely different performance as the vacated Cassie.

Maisie Sellers-Richardson isn’t Claire Holt, and her proper English accent is a touch different than Holt’s affected English accent, but there were a few moments, like when she sneered “I’m Rebekah bloody Mikaelson” where I could have sworn it was Holt’s voice coming out of her mouth.

Obviously, we’d all rather have Claire Holt in the role full time. But since that is not a possibility at the moment, I’m happy we’ve at least got Rebekah back as a character. Her presence has been badly missed on this show.

• FatherOctavian says:

I didn’t* care much…

• Lucius says:

It was a little creepy but in a good way. It’s like Maisie was channelling Claire.

• J.B. says:

I think what makes “Rebekha’s” accent so unique is that Claire Holt is an Australian doing an English accent. It’s not a bad one but a very distinct one which is so identifiable with the character. It was a bit jarring to hear “Rebekha’s” voice sound so different.

• I agree. She was terrible and stiff as Ester but I didn’t have the same problem last night, which is good. What is the deal though with the accents? Did Natalie have an accent when she played Ester? And why doesn’t Sonja have a British accent? Rebekkah and Kol kept the accent when they switched bodies but Ester and the other brother did not. I find it a bit annoying.

• J.B. says:

I think it has to do with the bodies Esther chose for them and herself, especially Esther cause she had to jump around a lot. That’s the best guess I can come up with.

• Ally Oop says:

It annoys me a lot to.

• possibly…but there seems to be indication that the bodies are just empty vessels for the Originals to inhabit. If such is the case, it wouldn’t matter to whom the body belonged and the accents should thus remain. Perhaps Sonja impressed them so much that they wanted her to play Ester despite the fact that she couldn’t pull off a Brit accent.

5. Michelle says:

Every week at the end of this show I say “Damn”, cause they just blew me away. This show is SO good!

6. smartsun says:

this show gets better and better !

7. Liza says:

So, Elijah and Cami were babysitting Hope? Are Michael and Esther dead?

8. Rook says:

Josh and Aiden are you favorite. However since this is The Originals, the likelihood that one of them will die always makes me nervous.

• J.B. says:

Sadly this is true. I really like their romance but given that fact that Julie Plec said that one or BOTH might not survive this season I’m waiting for that shoe to drop. I know this is The Originals and nobody is ever happy for more than a short time but maybe actually so the opposite. That would definitely be a surprise but alas.
      Same with Kol and Davina. I know people don’t like Daniel Sharman as Kol and want the original actor back. I really don’t.
      I like this Kol but I knew that Sharman wouldn’t last long in the role especially when they made the guy who plays new Finn (who’s acting personally irritates me) a series regular and not Sharman too.

9. B says:

I love this show!!! It just gets getting better and better!!!

10. B says:

The Originals is like Angel a spin off that is as good as it’s parent series but The Originals has one upped Angel by becoming better than TVD!!!

11. onelastemperor says:

Why Yusuf Gatewood was credited as “guest star”? I thought he was promoted to main cast……..

• J.B. says:

He was but I think he hasn’t been credited yet because of how many episodes he filmed before that happened and contractual Mumbo-Jumbo.

12. Ally Oop says:

I like the direction the writers are going with things. While I do want Klaus and Hayley together, I do like her with Jackson too. I’m guessing eventually Jackson will be killed off or something but I’m glad Hayley didn’t go right from Elijah to Klaus. And speaking of Elijah, I never considered it before but an Elijah/Camille pairing could be good. I think one of the biggest problems I have with her character right now is that the writers are trying to pair with Klaus.

• TO_Klayley says:

Totally agree!! Elijah/Camille could work, I liked their recent scenes (unexpectedly); I would love Klaus and Hayley together, but I’m fine with a slow pace, in fact that might actually be one of the reasons I like this pairing. Elijah/Hayley and Klaus/Camille just seem forced to me, I hope both will be dropped soon. Since I don’t think Hayley/Jackson will be endgame, but just a means to move along the plot, I’m fine with it too.

13. Cait says:

i really want daniel sharman to stay on the show because hes amazing and i need abit of sharman every week, but i really want Nate Buzolic coming back as Kol, because well hes the original. (pun intended). i really hope theres a way to keep both actors on the show, apart from flashbacks

• J.B. says:

I too need a little Sharman every week! LOL
      But I agree with that part though I was never fond of the original actor who played Kol.

• Ally Oop says:

I like both actors. I think because of the accents I believe Daniel as Kol. I don’t want this to get into a discussion about race but I do think the fact that they picked a white actor to play Kol made the transference more believable while the actors they picked to play Esther, Finn and Rebecca, as they are African-American, makes it harder to accept the different bodies.

14. Liza says:

Don’t think that they would get rid of Kol again, he has a huge fanbase and if we speak about a true villain it’s Kol, they need an evil joker on the show, klaus has hope back now he, will never be as evil as he was before. So they need to keep kol, would like it more if Nate plays him but Daniel is really great as well, but i would love it more if he gets his own character on the show, and he can always return to teen wolf he has a huge fanbase there as well.

• J.B. says:

From what Julie Plec said in an interview before Monday’s episode she pretty much confirmed that Klaus will kill Kol or something along those lines. Then they can bring Nate back. Plus Sharman had been backpacking through Southeast Asia for almost all of December and parts of January. Filming resumed a while ago so I doubt he’ll be on much longer. I figured that when they announced he was going to be on the show.

• Ally Oop says:

That will be disappointing to hear if they get rid of Kol. All the other returning Original family is starting to annoy me, especially Esther and Finn. I’m ready for that particular storyline to vamoose.

15. Trish Lewis says:

Me too

16. Trish Lewis says:

Me too put Elijah and Hayley together the sexual tension between them is fantastic and Klaus with the bartender there is a spark there