Zachary Levi to Lead Heroes Reborn Miniseries on NBC

Zachary Levi Abraham Lincoln

NBC is calling upon a very familiar face to relaunch an equally familiar franchise.

In his first major post-Chuck TV gig, Zachary Levi has signed on to headline Heroes Reborn — NBC’s 13-episode continuation of Heroes, which ran from 2006 to 2010 — TVLine has learned exclusively.

“There are a few franchises I’ve always wanted to be a part of, and Heroes is one of them,” Levi tells TVLine exclusively. “Chuck gave me the opportunity to wield some fun powers, but an entire world with superpowers is a world I’ve always wanted to explore.

“I’m so grateful for the opportunity to work with Tim [Kring], and the awesome team around him, in bringing this to life,” he adds. “Moreover, to be working with NBC again is such a reward in itself, as my bonds and relationships there are deep.”

No longer a stranger to superheroes, Levi co-starred opposite Chris Hemsworth in 2013’s Thor: The Dark World.

As of now, the miniseries’ only other confirmed cast member is Jack Coleman, who will reprise the role of Heroes‘ Noah Bennett (aka HRG), but others could appear.

“Jack’s the way in, but I think – and I’m not trying to be coy because we just don’t know – you will see several of the old cast popping in to episodes,” NBC president Robert Greenblatt said Friday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

He also noted that more castings will be announced over the next few weeks.

The following 30-second teaser for Heroes Reborn first ran on NBC during the Winter Olympics in Feb. 2014:

Your thoughts on Levi’s casting, and your hopes for Heroes RebornDrop ’em all in the comments section below.

1. mc says:

Nerd explosion ahead!

2. “Details about his character are being kept tightly under wraps, but we’re told Levi will be playing a “key” role in the reboot.”

3. Sarah says:

Yes, yes, yes. I approve.

4. I’m curious and eager to find out how the world of Heroes has changed following Claire’s jump in the last episode of the series. And hopefully this revival will result in a continuing series after the 13th episode airs and that it’s not designed to wrap things up.

• Rook says:

I think if the show does become a series, I hope they’ll keep it 13 episodes each season. So they can keep it nice and tight, and not have it turn into a mess like before.

• The show became too popular in its first season, which prompted them to change their initial plans to rotate cast members each year, that’s why the plot lines became diluted. They had no plan beyond “save the cheerleader, save the world”. In a different context, with different characters, maybe those plots that followed could have worked better than they did, who knows.

5. Michelle says:

Love Zach, hated Heroes. What’s a girl to do?

6. steven says:

It’s been a while since I’ve heard any casting news about Heroes Reborn since Jack Coleman announced his return last summer. What took them so long?

7. Jenny says:

This is kind of funny considering Chuck and Heroes used to air back to back on NBC.

8. Brandy says:

Okay, NBC, you got me. Can’t wait!

9. KEVIN says:

the girl he married was part of the original show. Funny.

10. Rachel says:

YES! I will watch ANYTHING with Zachary Levi in it. I’m glad to see him get a substantial role in something.

11. Chris says:

I love Zach. I was very cautious about getting excited about Heroes Reborn, but now I definitely am.

12. runnernda says:

I’m excited about it! I love Zachary Levi, and I’m glad Heroes is getting a second chance. It was a series that had great promise, but I feel like they tried to do too much. I feel like they have probably learned from their mistakes by now, and I have high hopes for the reboot!

13. Tran says:

He was so amazing on CHUCK. Great to see Zachary Levi back at NBC this time for his new stint in the HEROES reboot. Hope they should bring back the likes of Greg Grunberg, Milo Ventimiglia and a few others.

14. Steph says:

15. i don’t even care about the show (that’s a lie, i am really excited) i am just so happy zac has a new job on my TV!!!!

16. MelindaB says:

I missed most of the last season because I had stopped caring enough to keep up. If NBC wants old and new viewers of the series to tune in, they should put the whole series online so we can catch up or refresh our memories. I will probably tune in to see Zac Levi, but will tune out again if I feel that I’m missing too much back story.

• Cap says:

There’s this thing called netflix…

• MelindaB says:

I don’t subscribe to Netflix. And I can’t see what they have to determine if I want to subscribe without subscribing. I currently pay for Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime, and need a compelling reason to pay for another service.

• dman6015 says:

Easy. Drop Amazon Prime and pick up Netflix. You’ll be much happier.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto. Amazon Prime ropes you in by giving the series’ first seasons for free, THEN they make you pay. Plus, hulu has all of the current broadcast shows so you don’t have to watch live.,

• canadian ninja says:

Amazon Prime, like the eighth best way to watch television – FG

17. crabapplerum says:

I now have to go binge-watch Heroes so I can watch this…

18. Dmac says:

And now I have to watch it…. Well played NBC , well played.

19. lechatnoir says:

Who is this Cat . I thought I’d read Zachary Quinto .

20. Mehvash says:

best news ever!! My husband and I just finished watching chuck on Netflix and Zachary Levi is so charming. Looking forward to seeing him on my tv soon.

21. Rachel says:

So glad NBC made this smart move to bring Zach back… He has a huge following in the key demographics for this show. Will he be a good guy… Or will he be bad?? Ooooh…now I’m intrigued. Either way…now I have a reason to DVR a show again since Chuck went off the air…WELCOME BACK ZACH!

22. jdavidweiss says:

Just as excited as can be. Bring it on!!!

23. Terry says:

24. Gerri says:

Love Zac, I will watch for sure.
    I loved Season 1. Season 2 and 3 were okay I never watched season 4 so I hope I can follow where the story is going and coming from. I just hope there is no Sylar and No Robert Knepper character. They need a good new bad guy to fight.
    Fingers crossed Milo and Masi are back.

25. mike says:

One of the (many) reasons the original failed is because he was kept around for WAAYY to long. And the confusion with whatshernames characters. Nikki. How many different characters or personalities or w/e did she have anyway??

Hayden was the best thing from that show. Waking up on the morgue table, even the explosion thing was awesome.

• jake says:

I agree totally. However I liked Tracy when Ali Larter started playing her. The whole garage freeze thing was cool IMO and probably one of my favorite scenes from the show. I however got tired of Hero.

26. Teresa says:

If Zackarey Levi is in it I will watch it 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄👍

27. Luis says:

All I want, and I will pay money for this, is for his character to be named Charles Carmichael

28. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see Zachary Levi in Hero and I will save my money to buy the DVD when it become available.

29. Avery says:

Hadn’t even thought of watching the reboot until I read this. Now I will have to watch. My next question, though, is about whom we should call to get him cast as Harold Hill if NBC does produce The Music Man!

30. Drew says:

And just like that, this got interesting.

31. mc says:

Is this airing around the same season as The Astronaut Wives Club? Because I wouldn’t mind seeing Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski back on TV ;)

32. Joan Olsen says:

Can’t wait! I have never been so excited about a new show.

33. Jesse says:

I’m not sure if Levi will be good in a serious role for Heroes. Chuck was always a comedy series that played serious to me. I don’t know but I do know that a Heroes reboot NEEDS Peter and Hiro back at least or don’t bother!!

34. Susan says:

Zachary Levi is so talented. I am really looking forward to seeing him in a weekly series.

35. Sylar's Bae says:

Flynn Rider in Heroes? This is going to be AWESOME! :)

36. Lysh says:

I was just talking about this show yesterday and wondering why the lack of any new info. This is good news! I love Zach. I played a carnie on and off during the last season, which got me back into the show since s1. I always wondered what happened after Claire jumped; it had potential.

37. Anna says:

Okay, that’s it then, I’ll definitely be watching this show. I just NEED to see Zach on my TV again!

38. canadian ninja says:

Has Tim Kring cracked open a comic-book yet or is he still going to not have a firm grasp of how to do viable super-hero stories?

39. Jackie says:

YAY!!!! Miss Heroes….loved that show. We loved Chuck even more……so we are excited to see Zachary Levi in another show. NOW GET GOING ON MAKING A CHUCK MOVIE!!!!!!!

40. Thanh says:

Heroes’ season one was awesome. The rest…was not. I think the primary reason the show plummeted so fast was the overuse of Sylar. I thought Sylar should have died after the events of season one’s finale.

• Thanh says:

Forgot to add…I hope Heroes Reborn goes back to the storytelling of original Heroes’ season one, and that they learned from, and won’t repeat, the mistakes from the later seasons.

• Maryann says:

I stopped watching because Sylar didn’t stay dead. I will watch as long as he is not back.

41. Jooshua says:

I just had a ‘Shiva Blast’ and this exciting news isn’t even related to ‘The League’.

42. murley says:

It’s funny, I just started rewatching chuck on netflix and I feel like since the. Zachary Levi casting news keeps popping up. Not that I am complaining. I had forgotten how much fun to watch that show is.

43. De'Vaughn Payne says:

Idk about every one else in the world but im over here [frakkin] the [fudge] out right now!! But in a good way- Lol. Loved Chuck &Loved Heroes, I was a die hard fan! Not the crazy stalker type cuz..ain’t nobody got time for that! But more so the- What tf u mean u cancelled Heroes?! But but whyyy, why you wanna hurt me like this? What did I ever do to you- type of fan! Lol. Seriously tho, it was a good show, great actors, brilliant producers, fx out this world! Levi’s gonna be a sick addition to the show! Can’t wait!! #Nbc dont play with my emotions now..if u cancel my *ish* again I swear fo Godd im a boycott you [censored]!! Lol #HaydenComeBack #AndBringEveryoneWithYou #WeHaveWorkToDo :-)

44. Joey Padron says:

Happy Zachary is coming back to TV in a big project. Can’t wait to find out which character he’ll play.

45. wydok says:

Wait… This is a reboot? That’s not how I understood it.

46. Stegs says:

In the words of burton guster “THIS IS EXCITING!!!!”

47. Mark says:

I actually wasn’t planning to watch, but with Chuck on the show, I’ll have to tune in. Well played, NBC. Well played.

48. Jim says:

Considering Chuck and Heroes are both NBC, maybe cameos from his Chuck co-stars might be interesting. With hints to Chuck thrown in for a good laugh. Heroes was pretty good, up until the carnival, I need one of those Nebulizers?? from Men in Black to forget the Carnival plot line, if you could call it a plot line.