Prison Break Stars on Reuniting to Crush The Flash: 'It's Like Ghostbusters'

The Flash Season 1 Spoilers Captain Cold Heat Wave

It’s a cold and rainy mid-October night on the streets of Vancouver, Canada, and TVLine is on hand to watch The Flash face off against two worthy opponents: Prison Break‘s Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows!

PHOTOS Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 27 Returning Favorites

Well, sort of.

On next Tuesday’s episode of the hit CW series (airing at 8/7c), Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell team up as the Rogue villains Captain Cold and Heat Wave. It’s a Prison Break reunion that has been in the works since Miller filmed his first episode of the comic book show, during which he was approached by executive producer/DC Comics CCO Geoff Johns with a character description of Heat Wave.

Asked who he would like to play his partner-in-crime, “The first and only name that emerged was [former Prison Break co-star] Dominic Purcell,” Miller says while taking a break from filming the hour, titled ‘Revenge of the Rogues.’ “Never in a million years did I think that they would be able to pull that together, but I’m so excited that they did.”

Purcell recalls getting a phone call from his agent that he had been offered a role on The Flash, followed by some coaxing from his former costar. “[Wentworth] actually sent me an email saying, ‘Come on board, it’ll be fun!’ And I said, ‘Absolutely!’” the actor shares. “Wentworth’s a very dear friend of mine, a very close friend, so it’s always a pleasure.”

The casting coup made for a “happy” reunion between the former “brothers,” who’ve only been able to stay in contact via email since Prison Break ended in 2009 thanks to conflicting schedules and geography, Miller explains. But despite how much time had passed since the actors last saw each other, they were able to pick up right where they left off when they met up again in Vancouver.

“It’s a little strange calling each other by different names, but we have a kind of natural rhythm at this point, a certain rapport,” Miller describes. “We played brothers for four years, so there’s just something that builds up over time. I know his style and he knows mine, and it’s brought an extra layer to these two characters and their relationship. Because they do have a history, Cold and Heat Wave, and it was nice that we already had that bubbling on the stove.”

But first came the work of developing the infamous comic-book foes, with whom both actors admit they weren’t very familiar when they landed the roles.

“What I responded to was this very powerful guy, who has been at the top of his game for a long time and maybe he’s gotten a little bored, a little complacent,” Miller says. “Then this extremely worthy adversary shows up and suddenly the game’s interesting again. While he has it out for The Flash, on some level, there’s also an appreciation and a certain degree of respect.”

As for Heat Wave, he “invokes a hot head,’ Purcell describes. “I’m bringing an animalistic kind of [growl] to him, and Wentworth’s playing it ice cold.” Underneath all that fire is also “a human side. There’s tragedy. He was burnt, severely. His whole body is burnt. So there are certainly metaphors of tragedy within him.”

With such an unpredictable partner, Captain Cold takes charge and his “responsibility is to rein in Heat Wave and develop a bit of a moral code, if you will,” Purcell says.

The Flash Season 1 SpoilersAdds Miller about the dynamic: “Everyone is potentially a pawn as far as Cold is concerned. Much like myself, Cold is a solitary, lone-wolf kind of character and may occasionally enjoy having some company. So there is a push-pull between the two. They aren’t friends, but they do have a kind of intimacy.”

But to defeat The Flash, they’ll definitely need to band together, especially since the speedster isn’t one to back down. After filming the aforementioned big, fiery fight sequence with star Grant Gustin, Purcell describes the movie-like production as “ambitious.”

“Cold and Heat Wave are working together to bring down the Flash,” he says of the scene. “We’ve got our guns – I’m firing a heat wave, and Wentworth’s firing a cold gun. It’s all about crossing streams. It’s like Ghostbusters!”

1. Journey_95 says:

already looking forward to this episode
    and damm I miss Prison Break gonna have to start a rewatch loved these two together

2. It’s not like the Flash can put these two in prison, they’ll just get out.

• Sammi_D says:

Haha I see what you did there. I’m very excited about this reunion! I loved their relationship on Prison Break so much, and it will be interesting to see their new dynamic on here. Now all they need to do is have another arrow/flash crossover with all the Prison Break bad guys, Captain Cold, Heat Wave, Clock King, and the second Count Vertigo. That would be amazing, but I’m sure it will never happen. It might be a little too much Prison Break for one episode.

• WELL, never say never. There was a report recently that due to the success of the first crossover, The CW may do one every year. So hopefully next year we’ll see such a crossover, and by then other members of the Prison Break cast (mainly the Fox River Eight) can join either show as more rogues. Those eight should be the rogues, frankly.

• Chris says:

I remember reading on here that Robert knepper was bring his arrow role to flash to so maybe we’ll get them all in one episode at one point, that would be amazing but I’m so excited to see these two on screen together again !

• Ak says:

Robert Knepper already brought his Clock King to the Flash, Episode 6 I think. When he hold’s the police office as hostages. But regardless Bring them all back. Clock King, Vertigo(new) Captain Cold and Heatwave, and hell they must bring back sucre and the fan favorite haywire!!! haha

• Who could Mitchell, Garrison, Nolasco, and Dunbar play?

• Sammi_D says:

Yeah you never know. I mean clearly the Arrow/Flash producers are Prison Break fans, with bringing all these guys on their shows. So, they may want to see all those guys back together as much as we do. The only difference is they actually have the power to make that happen haha. I did read that there was going to be a big crossover every year, which is what I was hoping for. Personally, I wish they would do more than one each year, but I’m sure that schedule would be very difficult. So, I’ll take what they give us!

3. Bwhit says:

I think this will be the first time I will be rooting for the villians. I am so excited about these two reuniting and it is even better because it was Wentworth Miller’s idea! Can’t wait.

4. Luli says:

Am I the only one who thought Castle when they first read the word heat wave in tihs article??

And so excited for this episode, I can’t wait for Captain Cold and Heat wave! (PB reunion !!!!!!!)

5. Diz says:

I can’t wait. This is going to be awesome!

6. lizo says:

I really hope they stick around for a few episodes. It would be a shame to waste this on relatively one-off characters

7. sarah j says:

While I will not be rooting for Captain Cold and Heatwave to beat the Flash, I am super excited to see Dominic and Wentworth on screen together again.

• Graziana says:

I FRATELLI CONTINUANO A COMBATTERE!!! mitici :)
      che onore vedere i fratelli di nuovo sullo schermo!!
      Scofield, Burrows tifiamo per voi
      Scofield, Burrows tifiamo per voi!!
      gli attori che ci fanno sognare: Wentworth Miller Dominic Purcell !!

8. The innovation of a robotic vacuum cleaner has been an answer to this problem.
    The same as the classic plasma screen situation, when they first reach
    the market the technology is expensive due to the expense of research and development, and low production volume.
    Ever wondered what its like to not have to worry
    anymore about hurting your back as well as sneezing your brains out due
    to all those dust that has settled comfortably under all
    your furniture.

9. NWatson88 says:

I loved this episode, mostly because of Wentworth Miller, but as a whole the flash is a great series. Miller’s character is great because he is recurring, I like the use of the cold gun!!