The Walking Dead Scoop: Newcomer Ross Marquand Joins Cast as... Pivotal Gay Comic Character?

Ross Marquand The Walking Dead Aaron

A relative unknown has (allegedly) landed one of The Walking Dead‘s most high-profile roles.

Ross Marquand, who channeled Paul Newman in a Season 6 episode of Mad Men, is joining the second half of the AMC smash’s fifth season as a series regular.

The network would not confirm the specifics of Marquand role, but TVLine hears that the actor will be playing Aaron, a prominent gay character from Robert Kirkman’s Walking Dead comic series.

Here’s the description of Aaron from Walking Dead Wiki:

Aaron is a character first encountered in Issue 67 of Image Comics’ The Walking Dead and is a resident of the Alexandria Safe-Zone community, formally working as a recruiter. He worked with Eric, who was his work partner and boyfriend.

Last November, Kirkman confirmed that a “prominent” gay character from the comic books will appear in the second half of Season 5.

Marquand’s casting comes on the heels of speculation about the sexuality of Norman Reedus’ Daryl — buzz Kirkman addressed in that same Talking Dead appearance.

“In the letter column of the comic book that I do, I mentioned that there was a possibility early on about making Daryl Dixon’s character gay,” he explained. “I just wanted to clarify that the possibility is there and that I would have been fine with it, the network would have been fine with it — but we ultimately didn’t do that. I can make it official: Daryl Dixon is straight.”

The Walking Dead resumes its current fifth season on Sunday, Feb. 8.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. lqza says:

Too late for me, this series should have been cancelled. Far too samey!

2. Sam says:

That was not what I expected. But hopefully he does good. It would be awesome to see Neil Patrick Harris for Aaron!

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, it would but from what I’ve been reading about him he is far to busy with other projects to commit to this. He is in very high demand and is not a cheap date, LOL.

3. Tea says:

Nice. Glad Aaron will be showing up at the right time. But as a series regular for the remainder of season 5? Or has an option as regular for season 6?

• 'A' Has Spoken says:

Nope, as a season regular. I know, its weird. They add characters to the show and make them regulars for like 3 episodes and then kill them off. (see Gareth) Or add them to the opening credits just to kill them off (Hershel, Beth, Bob, etc,.) But I guess he’ll be around pass season 5 so they just decided to make him a main character but in the “Also starring” category.

4. Kay says:

Why must the description almost always be “gay comic character”? This is as offensive as the early and still prevalent storyline of every predominantly minority show as a sitcom.
    I am a 62 year old white woman raised in Texas and Oklahoma. Throughout my lifetime I have been blessed by friendships with families of diverse ethnicities and lifestyles and I am disturbed by the stereotypes we are expected to endure.

• alistaircrane says:

It’s clarifying Aaron is a gay comic book character, not a gay comical/comedic character. He’s a character from the comic book being introduced to the tv series.

• Meredith says:

I don’t think that’s her point. I think she means why is he a “gay comic character” rather than just a “character,” like calling the President a/the “black President,” rather than the President or me a “woman with a disability” rather than a woman. That said, I don’t think it’s a great point, well-meaning though it may be. Describing me as a woman with a disability may be an important component of giving the most clear (but very) general description of me overall. As long as it’s not considered the most interesting or significant thing abut a character description, I’ll allow it. You’re welcome to your interpretation, though.

• alistaircrane says:

We still live in a world where gay people are extremely discriminated against. Having an out gay character on television’s most popular short is an important distinction that needs to be made.

• Meredith says:

I agree. I also think that downplaying it, or turning in into a, “Gasp, this character is GAY,” revelation on the show is more disrespectful to the gay community by portraying them as something rare, shocking, and potentially abhorrent.

• puck says:

Because the society we live has been doing this for 100’s of years. What makes you think they’re going to stop now just because more gay people are coming out. It doesn’t matter race, religion, creed, ethnicity or preference, it is what it is. Discrimination, Racism and Double Standards will always be a part of this hypocritical society.

5. Ian says:

He’s handsome though. Hope he’s a good actor.

6. Bill says:

I wouldn’t say he was prominent

7. Lee Ames says:

I thought Tara was the first gay character on TWD?

8. Kim D says:

Daryl belongs with Carol (especially now that Beth is gone).

9. Ian says:

They’ve got their work cut out for them though establishing his character and portraying him and his relationships well and creating stuff worth deeply investing in in a back 8 of a season.

10. Agent 86 says:

So … what about Eric? Or will Aaron be single so that fans don’t have to see two boys kiss?

11. Blake says:

Depending on how he is treated, this is good news.

I do not need “hardcore” assertions of his sexuality, because that has not been the case for the straight characters either, but it should actually be significantly acknowledged.
    He should not just be “gay in theory”.

• Ian says:

The straight couples have had a few sexy scenes though, to be fair.

If its organic to Aaron’s and Eric’s relationship on the show, then they shouldn’t shy away from it just because it might alienate some viewers. Because they’ll alienate a community either way.

Considering how respectful Kirkman handled these characters in the comic, and how important Eric is to Aaron as a character, I’d say Eric’s got to be on the show as well.

12. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

So if this Aaron character is coming on when is Eric going appear? After all they say that in S5 they’re going to follow a lot more of the storylines in the comics. Overall can’t wait for the show to come back and see the group but of course it’s gonna start out pretty sad.

13. Alice says:

The new actor is Jesus, He is a martial arts expert!
    Can’t wait!!!

14. David says:

Although i think its a good thing to have everybody represented on tv…exactly how does a gay character fit into the walking dead?

15. Abby says:

I would totally bet its Aaron, and that Noah is Eric.

• hud says:

Gay it up. That is what is needed. Make sure bi-racial somehow works into the mix as well.I would suggest at this point find some water, take a bath. Blood, guts, smell alone, sticky clothing. I’d cut my own head off.

16. amy says:

I hope you do NOT add GAY to this show, you are going to ruin it. I will be one that will leave it and I really do love this show. It is so good the way it is, what would be the benefit of adding GAYS… Just ridiculous. You don’t have to follow the comic book word for word. it is fine the way it is. Everything that is on TV today has to have a gay or lesbian plot to it. WHY???? So many good shows I used to watch, I do not anymore because of adding this… I can turn my channel and believe me I will…

• sandwormusmc says:

I don’t think the show is going to go full on “Grace Under Fire” by introducing Aaron. It wasn’t a big deal in the comics when they introduced him, and his sexuality wasn’t even addressed exterior for a panel or two in one episode. I think the media is making a bigger show of it than it needs to be. Don’t worry, you won’t see him kill walkers by shooting rainbows out of his butt, it’ll be more like “Oh, by the way, this guy likes dudes”, kind of like the way they did with Tara, and never mentioned again.

Now if they do a full on Glee-like fabulous music montage of walker killing and jazz hands, I’ll be the first to join you in turning off my favorite show for good…

• A Normal Person says:

Wow, Amy. I hope they do add GAY people just so people like you don’t spoil my favorite show. I’m sure gay people everywhere love that you used caps, just in case the ignorance of your comment didn’t stand out. Seriously, what’s wrong with you?

This is a show about the apocalypse. Whether you like it or not, different types of people found a way to survive the apocalypse, not just people like you… gripping your Bible in one hand and your AK47 in the other. Funny thing is, if this show proves anything, it’s that the living are often more dangerous than the zombies. Luckily for the rest of us, you’d drop like a fly.

Do the zombies have some gay-smelling-radar that I don’t know about? I assure you, based on your generalization of society and clear bubble of a world you live in, that you wouldn’t make it far.

I never comment on these kinds of articles, but either you’re a troll, or the zombie apocalypse is exactly what you need.

Why do so many shows have a gay or lesbian plot to it? Because in this world, PEOPLE ARE GAY AND LESBIAN. I have a feeling your favorite show was Duck Dynasty.

“So many shows I used to watch, I do not anymore because of adding this…” I am sure the directors are crying from the loss of one ignorant fan. It’s not the 1920’s anymore. Wake up.

• Irene M. says:

I’m with you, Amy, and I can hardly wait to see Aaron be killed off!

• Matt says:

If the show follows the comics, Aaron will be in the show for a long time to come. Homosexuality has been around as long as Homo Sapiens have, and your comment is unfortunate and disgusting. Do you feel the same way when you see a gay person in real life? Can’t wait for them to die? What if it was your son or nephew that turned out to be gay? I can’t imagine how some people are so out of touch…

17. “Hi my name is Steve” that’s what I think…. :)