Ratings: Friday Glee Improves on Finale; Five-0 and ABC Sitcoms Hit Highs

Glee Final Season Ratings

Fox’s Glee opened its final season/christened its new Friday home with 2.3 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating, down sharply and expectedly from its previous premiere (which did 5.1 mil/2.0 on a Thursday) but up 21 percent and a tenth from its May finale (which aired on a Tuesday).

TVLine readers have the two-hour opener an average grade of “B.”

Elsewhere….

CBS | Undercover Boss (8.5 mil/1.5) ticked up a tenth, while Hawaii Five-0 (11.3 mil/1.5) inched up 8 percent and a tenth to draw its biggest Friday audience ever and its best rating since January 31 of last year. Blue Bloods (12.6 mil/1.4) saw its largest audience in almost a year, while flat in the demo.

ABC | Last Man Standing (8.6 mil/1.6) grew 43 and 45 percent to its largest audience since January 2012 and a season-high rating. Cristela (6.7 mil/1.3) surged 49 and 63 percent to series highs. Shark Tank (7.7 mil/1.9) was up 10 and 26 percent, leading the night in the demo.

THE CW | Masters of Illusion returned to 660,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating, down 33 percent from its last original.

1. Neki says:

Glee numbers are ridiculous, hahah. It used to get 5.0 in its 2nd season, now, it can’t crack 1.0. Friday is not an ecuse.
    Good job, Cristela :)

• SL says:

Who cares? Hating on Glee is so out of style now! I came back after two years to see how it ends and I’m glad I did. What’s the sense in gloating over a dead show in its last season anyway?

• abz says:

Agreed. The show continues to have its many issues, but all the constant complaining and wishing for it to end is so stupid. It’s already on it’s FINAL season on a night where not much TV is watched anyways and it isn’t taking up a good timeslot that could be used for another show.

• greysfan says:

Exactly! Who cares. Enjoy the show while it lasts because at least with Glee we’re getting a proper ending, Covert Affairs on the otherhand we were NOT given that opportunity. Until a show you follow is gone people really don’t know what they’re missing so instead of bitching about it, enjoy it. Who cares if it got a 5.0 or a 1.0.

• Network says:

Mindy project gets that on a prime Tuesday spot. That show would get some Thats so Rachel numbers on a Friday

• Daniel says:

It could’ve have done a little better if they had a good promo team like Pretty Little Liars does. Whatever, it’s up from last season finale even thought it’s in a death slot.

2. Joe says:

Is that considered a good rating by Glee’s standards considering where the show is at right now: final season of a declining show and on Fridays? Was that number expected, better or worse than thought?

3. JR says:

Really dismal numbers but the headline is “Glee improves on final”…interesting spin.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Comparing Glee’s Friday premiere to one that aired on a Thursday, knowing that its numbers then dropped by more than half come finale-time, would be disingenuous. EW has a “Glee Crashes” headline, if that better sates you.

• john says:

Honestly i think improving 21% from the 5th season finale is good. Its the last season and I enjoyed both episodes. Some haters just gonna always hate.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It is noteworthy — especially given all the between-seasons grumbling/’I’m so done with this show!” mantras.

• Network says:

Hate watching is absolutely the dumbest life wasting idea ever.

• Kim says:

I think a lot of that was it didn’t feel the same after Corey died. I mean I mentally saw it as the series finale when they had the Finn death episode. I watched it last night (well I am on a weird schedule this week so I watched it at 2am today…) out of respect. It didn’t feel like “Glee” though.

• Angela says:

@Network: I agree. I don’t get the point of hate-watching at all. Why is it so hard for some people to just focus on watching things they actually like instead of stuff they know will get their blood pressure up?
            I also agree with all the people who are tired of the mocking comments about “Glee”. Wow, you don’t like the show anymore/never liked it at all, what a novel opinion that nobody else has ever expressed before!
            *General “you” in effect here in this post, not targeted at anyone specifically.

4. Network says:

What else is there to expect from glee? Fox got greedy and just wanted the songs and Ryan Murphy let it wither on the vine in favor of whatever the next project was (a rinse and repeat for him apparently). The biggest shame is these episodes are among the best since the earlier seasons. That’s what happens though when have 2-3 seasons of not so great ones (I stuck with it though).

5. Lynne says:

Caught Last Man Standing last night to see Tim and Patricia together again and I’m glad I did! And the little shot of JTT back as Randy was icing on a delicious cake! I’m betting though that the rating from January 2012 was when JTT first guest starred.

6. Larc says:

Shows that have been around a while tend to do better for their season kickoffs than they do later. Glee will probably be looking back at last night’s numbers as “the good old days” before this final season is over.

7. I.R.E. says:

Glee is getting weakened right now, but at least Rachel, not only continues her lead, but helping manage the returning of the glee club. At least nemesis Kitty is back, but I want Emma, Marley, Sugar, Unique and Joe characters returned ASAP. I might predict that Mike, Jake and Ryder characters are officially gone from this show. I am still disappointed that 13 is the wrong number for this show’s season episode order. It should be 12 or 14 instead.

8. Jenna says:

I wish Glee had done better; but, whatever, I thoroughly enjoyed the episodes. We know this is the final bow, so who cares? The performances were awesome. The talent is still there, and I’ll be watching.

9. DavidSask says:

Glee was actually good minus few songs and awful Matthew Morrison. Let Glee have its finale season, many shows don’t get it!

10. Fernanda says:

this episode proves that I’ve always been said, Blaine shouldn’t quit the Warblers, Blaine Warbler is the best Blaine on Glee, McKinley Blaine sucks, Cheater Blaine I hate the most, I’m in Love with my Hot Friend Blaine sucks so bad, NY Blaine was boring, this is the return of the original Blaine that I love from the beginnig, even if he has a rebound fling with Karofsky.

Rachel took the place that the writers originally put on Finn, as the new coach of ND. Also the producers finally get an interesting cast based in talent and comedy, maybe they learnt that when the realize that the former new cast were a lot of Katies and less Gagas.

I’m not gonna miss Marley, Jake, Ryder or Unique in the Glee Club (maybe they could graduate before Kitty) but I leart I want a final appereance and finally know what happened with them. Thank God Sugar is coming to Glee soon.

I hope FOX don’t take off the air these episodes. The few Gleeks remain we’re loyal.

11. gleek says:

Hey Matt Webb Mitovich can it get cancel in its final season? I want to see all the episodes i love glee i just want to see a good ending i guess fans let it go ryan and brad so did piss off those klainers i have a feeling they will be the second couple will be marry and the get the happy ending too.