Ratings: Agent Carter Bests S.H.I.E.L.D., CBS Dramas Surge, NBC Coms Down

Agent Carter Ratings Premiere

Marvel’s Agent Carter‘s double-episode premiere on Tuesday night averaged 6.9 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating, improving on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s most recent tallies (5.3 mil/1.7) and giving ABC its best rating in the two-hour time slot since November 2013.

TVLine readers gave the Hayley Atwell-starrer an average grade of “A-.”

Leading out of that, Forever returned to 4.9 mil and a 1.1, flat versus its previous outing.

Elsewhere….

CBS | NCIS returned to 19.5 mil and a 2.8, up 11 and 17 percent from its winter finale to deliver its largest audience since February and a best-since-premiere rating. NCIS: New Orleans (17.4 mil/2.5) surged 23 and 32 percent (tying its demo high), while Person of Interest (10 mil/1.7) grew 11 and 31 percent. (Got POI Qs? Email me at InsideLine@tvline.com!)

NBC | Leading out of a Parks and Rec rerun (2.5 mil/0.8) versus The Voice, Marry Me (2 mil/0.8) plunged 57 and 33 percent, while About a Boy (2.7 mil/0.8) slipped 27 percent and a tenth. Chicago Fire (6.7 mil/1.7) dipped 10 percent and a tenth.

FOX | MasterChef Junior (5.3 mil/1.8) matched its previous premiere, New Girl (3.2 mil/1.5) was flat and Mindy Project (2.2 mil/1.0) dipped a tenth.

1. John NYC says:

NCIS’ “a best-since-premiere rating.” for a show on this long and one having evolved as much as this one that’s a remarkable testament to the TPTB quality and the strength of the current cast and crew.

Nice to see a show I like get it’s quality acknowledged.

2. Zoila says:

I’m a bit interested in what the breakdown was with Agent Carter’s ratings.

3. vane says:

Loved it can wait for mor!

4. Tran says:

Think Agent Carter is going to be one of the breakout shows of mid-season 2015 in my opinion. Don’t know if anybody is willing to give up watching POI now that one of its major characters has bit the dust but you’ll be the “TV critic” of that.

• DL says:

Blargh, I know I can’t complain because this is a TV spoiler site, but still, POI spoiler… Nooooo! I don’t want to part with any of the cast. Now I’m afraid to watch. T_T

• Grey says:

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HASN’T SEEN LAST NIGHT’S EP OF “POI”
        Hey DL, you’re forgetting one of the first rules of TV; unless there’s a body (with DNA confirmation) the person may or *may not* actually be dead. Okay? Relax, let’s just see where the story goes and how the cast member in question feels about working after their medically necessary leave is over. (I’m trying to be as cryptic as possible so as not to totally spoil the episode for people who haven’t seen it yet. LOL)

• herman1959 says:

DL, when it comes to this site, you gotta watch before you read!

5. HeatherC says:

Good gracious Chicago Fire is the only light for NBC on Tuesdays when they don’t air The Voice! It’s holding its own without any sort of lead in which is pretty amazing. I wish the ratings were higher overall but they should be commended for being so rock solid in that timeslot.

6. Dave says:

I really hope that ABC will remove the Marvel stuff from competing angainst NCIS, those are great shows and they deserve so much more in live ratings (even if with the DVR they rise)
    If they’ll decide to cancel Agents’ of shield I hope Netflix will pick it up so that alle the MCU-TELEVISON DIVISION will be with Netflix, that would be an interesting twist

• eddie says:

its to late. ABC cant schedule these shows opposite NCIS, get crushed and THEN move them. they wont live that way. ABC needs to be smarter about scheduling. Shield should have been on sundays last fall and ABC really blew it. ABC sundays is “family night” and would have been a perfect place to place both shield and carter…..

7. N says:

I love Forever!

8. auntiemm says:

NCIS was awesome. I expected a one and done ep with the last of Gibbs’s wives but THAT death??!!

• anonymous says:

Agent Carter deserved better ratings. It’s debut was very strong and it seems to have a clear idea of what it is and where it is going. Hopefully ABC gives it a chance.

• Boiler says:

Nothing against the show but not everyone likes this genre whether show is good or not. But it is nice to see a new SCRIPTED show do well.

• Dean says:

Maybe, and I’m just guessing here, but maybe these comic shows are not as good as you and others think they are probably thats why other shows at 8pm do better?

• ScottJ says:

Agent Carter was a near perfect piece of television. It doesn’t fit neatly into any genre though, and its not really a comic show either. We could do with more short-run series like this. I’m getting really sick of the insistence on 13 and 22 episode shows when they don’t have sufficient story to go on that long, and both casting and quality suffer because of their length.

• Susan Reid says:

Absolutely stunned by NCIS last nite! I will truly miss x-wife number 3 soooooo much! Perfect balance of caustic humor and her scenes with Gibbs and Fornel were always the best! Such a great episode but soooooo sad this fantastic actress won’t be around anymore.

9. Ian Fleming says:

There isn’t a contest between Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. Agent Carter is only in competition with whatever is showing at the same time elsewhere. Please nip this nonsense firmly in the bud.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

AGENT CARTER improved on SHIELD’s most recent numbers. I’m good with the headline.

• Grey says:

Actually, that’s not entirely true. Ratings competition is “in house.”

A lot of people assume the main competition is against other shows on other networks but that’s not entirely true. How it does in its time slot is important *but* the greater weight is how it compares to the other shows on its own network.

There’s a pecking order (based on ratings, costs, syndication prospects, etc.) among a network’s own stable of shows. The ones not performing well in that stable are the shows that get canceled. That’s a simple way of putting it but it’s true. That’s why for example a show on the CW – a network with a smaller stable of shows and lessor share of the TV market – will renew a show with an average rating in the 0.9 to 1.0 range regardless of the higher rated shows airing against it. That 0.9 or 1.0 might be the highest rated show they have so naturally they’re going to renew it. But a show with those same ratings numbers on CBS would get cancelled in a heartbeat since CBS has a much larger list of shows averaging much higher ratings. The grading curve, if you will, is different from network to network based on it’s own shows – not just what’s airing against them. So yes, “Agent Carter” is competing against “Agents of SHIELD” for renewal.

10. mike says:

Got ncis and ncisno dvr’d from what the ratings look like they sound good. Thought there might be a. review on Gibbs wife.

11. Dean says:

NBC truly does have the worst luck with comedies. Seriously there is no shame in being an all drama major tv network. I mean look at HBO and FX

12. Elaine says:

This is the best show ever to empower little girls across America. Yes you can and you don’t have to make coffee for a man’,,,,,,,

13. ninamags says:

NCIS and POI had me so emotional yesterday!!!

Both were fantastic episodes.

14. K says:

Loved Agent Carter, even though I’m not a Marvel or AOS fan. Glad to see it did well.

15. Shannon says:

NCIS. How did CBS keep Diane’s death secret? I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t see it coming, did anyone else? And Gibbs, you should’ve shot him when you had the chance. I get the feeling this is not over.

16. SamCro says:

CBS NCIS 2.8/9 19.49
    ABC Marvel’s Agent Carter – Premiere (8-10PM) 1.9/6 6.86

Lets not get a feminist organism over this one week premiere. It will not last as men are not going to watch a girl action hero.

17. Kicks says:

So glad NCIS New Orleans is back.

18. JC1 says:

I’m a little disappointed in Agent Carter’s ratings. I really hoped it would do better. But hopefully it won’t drop too much going forward.