The Flash Winter Finale Recap: Yellow! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Flash Recap Wells Reverse Flash

With its first winter finale, The CW’s The Flash “went there” on multiple occasions, including a final wrinkle that certainly zagged when I thought they would zig.

Almost right off the bat, the episode introduced us (as well as a few unlucky guards) to “The Man in the Yellow Suit,” whom from here on we’ll simply dub Reverse-Flash. When Barry and Joe hear of the eyewitness’ account, they realize they’re dealing with the same man who killed Nora, as well as gave Joe a spook a few weeks back.

Barry gets an up-close look at Reverse-Flash himself when the lemony speedster lures him to a football field for a rough scrimmage. “I’m always one step ahead,” Reverse-Flash taunts, in a distorted voice. “Your destiny is to lose to me, just as your mother’s destiny was to die that night.” Rude.

While Dr. Wells and his team prepare a trap for Reverse-Flash — baiting him with tachyons aka superluminal particles aka I still have no idea what they are, to be procured from Mercury Labs’ Tina McGee (Amanda Pays, reprising her role from the 1990s’ Flash) — Barry tends to a bit of personal business. After gifting Iris with a replica of her mother’s wedding band, an irked Eddie suspected aloud to Iris that Barry has feelings for her. But after denying it once, and following an intense heart-to-heart with incarcerated Dad, Barry takes his heart and slaps it onto his sleeve, telling Iris that he has loved her since before he even knew what the word “love” meant. But after losing so much in his life, and no matter how many times he thought to tell her, he held back, for fear of losing her, too. “I couldn’t lie to you anymore,” he says, as Iris pumps out a few tears. “I’m sorry.”

Not to be left out of the winter finale drama, Caitlin catches glimpse of a straggly, grimy homeless man who might be her dead fiance, so she follows him into a dark corner of the parking garage, to no avail. Later, Cisco helps her track “the burning man” from Iris’ blog, but the metahuman insists he’s not Ronnie but “Firestorm.” After the unsettling and highly unexpected encounter, Caitlin laments that for so long she imagined what she would trade for one more minute with Ronnie; now, seeing him, she wishes he had just died that day.

Later, the trap is set at S.T.A.R. Labs, and with Eddie and his task force and Joe looking on, Dr. Wells catches himself a Reverse-Flash. When asked what he wants, Reverse-Flash tells Wells that his goals are beyond the good doc’s understanding. He then shrugs off any Flash comparisons, saying: “I’m not like him at all. In fact, you could say I’m the reverse.” When the force field begins to yield, Reverse-Flash yanks Wells into the cage and begins pummeling him. Joe disables the force field, freeing Reverse-Flash to KO Eddie’ tact team and go Joe. Signaled by Caitlin, The Flash races to the scene, saves Joe and brings his opposite out into the parking lot for a brawl. Reverse-Flash again easily gets the better of Barry, until Firestorm shows up and breaks things up with some fireballs. Reverse-Flash scrams, careful not slip in his own piddle, while Firestorm warns Caitlin never to look for him again.

In the aftermath, Joe reads in Eddie on the metahumans sitch (but only IDs The Flash as “the guy who saved both our lives tonight”), while Dr. Wells scolds Caitlin and Cisco for keeping Ronnie’s status a secret. (Is someone feeling…. burned, doc?) Later with Joe, a defeated Barry shares, “I’ve been afraid of the Man in Yellow my whole life, that’s why I lost.” Joe urges Barry not to lose the light that he brings to other people’s lives. As he puts it, through some tears, “The world may need The Flash, but I need my Barry Allen.” OK, it just got dusty in here.

The hour ends with a Christmas gathering at the Wests’, where Barry congrats Eddie and Iris on moving in together and Cisco notes to Joe that based on what he saw of the Flashes’ fight, there must have been two speedsters in the living room when Nora died. So who’s the other red Flash?

Well, it’s not Dr. Wells — though that was my theory for at least 7 seconds there. Instead, Wells uses a Flash-crested ring to access a secret closet inside his secret room, inside of which is… the Reverse-Flash costume. After attaching a tachyron to the suit, Wells wishes Berry a Merry Christmas — in Reverse-Flash’s telltale voice.

What did you think of The Flash‘s winter finale?

1. Guess says:

Firestorm had me geeking out so much :D

2. Drew says:

Those Amells love them some shaggy wigs.
    really solid episode. Firestorm was awesome. Reverse Flash was great. I still expect a twist there. Maybe it isn’t Wells. Maybe Wells is the speedster from the past and got the sunit after Barry’s mother was killed. Could he be Jay Garrick? I guess I am trying to predict a twist without any real theory.
    Iris was much better this week. Her interaction with Caitlin showed that she isn’t just a Flash fangirl. She could have real value, tracking and documenting meta humans. Plus she had some good scenes with Barry. I hope they give her more layered material like this to work with.
    For a second, I expected Reverse Flash to be Barry’s father, with Dr. McGee helping him. It would be a twist if he really was guilty.

• Lizzie says:

Yes Iris was good. I think she will get better now that she know about Barry’s feelings. I am on the same boat as you with there being a twist but I think this Reverse Flash is the Eddy version. IDk but there was to much parallels in him being upset about the meta-humans. His comment about Barry. Something is building there.

But holy-Firestorm! I wanted to cry when he flew away. Come on he flew away! This was just an insane episode. I can’t wait for January and tomorrows Arrow because that’s being coined as the best episode too

• Ram510 says:

For half a second I thought Barry’s father could have something to do with the whole Reverse Flash mystery. Perhaps under some sort of possession?
      I can’t wait to find out why the mother had to die in the first place, I hope that they’ll have a satisfying reason

• William Benson says:

Just spitballing here. What if…the guys who did this FLASH…decided to ‘tie it in’ with the original. Tachyon=Time Travel (Star Trek 101…) and that’s where they’ve said they’re going. Obviously the red flash is the probably BARRY Allen. BUT…what if…Barry’s father is REALLY the old Barry Allen who decided to take an alias or something. Marries and has a son whom he names Barry…and it was HE who was fighting the Reverse Flash.

I get this is probably the TRUEST form of fan fiction ever. Just seeing Amanda Pays as Tina McGee and now Mark Hamill as the old Trickster…just seems like it’d be a REALLY cool idea to tie it all into one universe A la Doctor Who.

Just a neat idea. It’s probably just a time travel story with (our) Barry going back in time and changing history/failing to where his mother died…and this whole history has been ‘the wrong one’ somehow.

• Alichat says:

I’ve had a time travel theory as well since we saw Dr Wells pop into his hidden room. I was thinking that Dr Wells was the yellow light Barry saw around his mother. And the reason for Barry’s disappearance in 20whatevernumberwasonthatfuturenewsarticle was that he followed Dr Wells, aka the yellow blur dude (what I called him before last night), back into time to try and prevent Wells from killing his mother…..or killing child-Barry.

• Shannon says:

I think that Dr. Wells travel to change the future to where The Flash is still around and didn’t disappear. I think he was the red flash in the room making sure the yellow flash didn’t harm Berry as a kid. I think the Reverse Flash is from the future two, and may be Eddy or a decadent of Eddy’s trying to kill Berry.

• Abby says:

I’m definitely buying into the time travel theory. Why else would Wells be watching some future newspaper article about The Flash? And trying to not only preserve but obtain that future? Like he is from it and trying to keep the storyline? I am not at all familiar with the comic universe so this is all conjecture.

I loved the episode!

• jj says:

I am actually thinking Eddie is Reverse-Flash. Because why else would Reverse-Flash not kill him when he had the chance?

• herman1959 says:

I also thought for a second that Barry’s father might be Reverse Flash and the killer, but it seemed too easy, plus the ending just blew my mind. I still don’t know what to think. The scene where Barry tells Iris he loves her was the BEST. The way he embraced her and held on for dear life, and her being shocked speechless…OMG. I’m watching this episode again (a first for me).

• Me says:

YES YES YES! I loved Iris’ reaction to Barry admitting his feelings. She was able to convey confusion, hurt, frustration, disappointment, regret and a wee bit of anger without saying a word. It was eloquent and real. Much more effective than babbling, “I didn’t know.” She didn’t know.We know that so there was no need to retread. Their interaction after he told her was great as well. I felt uncomfortable watching. I cried with her.

• J says:

DC loves its alternate universes. Maybe Wells is a version of the Reverse Flash who lost his powers after the Reverse Flash went back in time to kill Barry’s mother and altered the future. To regain his powers, Wells needed Barry to become the Flash. Now he seems interested in stealing Barry’s powers. The device he stole could be the way to infuse the suit with Barry’s powers. Both versions of Wells/Reverse Flash are probably working together.

• Rich Abey says:

Yes Iris is a character drawn from the Flash comics but by being Barry’s romantic interest, she is the weakest link in the show. Iris by herself is quite interesting: as Barry’s childhood bf, as a keen follower of the Flash and by being a couple with Eddie. But Barry just pining after her is so…CW? Meaning a character typical of almost every CW Network show. Afterall people turn up to watch The Flash, not Vampire Diaries or some other meaningless teenage themed relationship-heavy show.

• Briggs says:

Here we are, the first negative Iris comment of the thread. i’d say the fact that she still doesn’t know Barry’s ID is the weakest part of the show. They may be building up to that with Barry finally telling her how he feels. Though I agree with Drew, on tracking metas, it would be truly helpful once Iris knows Barry is The Flash. And if we’re going to talk about why she still doesn’t know… it’s not like she didn’t know there was something up with him. Really, it’s Joe’s fault she doesn’t know know at this point. This is one part of the overall plot I’ll be glad they resolve.

• Me says:

Pining is what Felicity did ALL of last year but no one complained about.

• amelia love says:

So it seems that u have read the comics…. Why did barrys mom get killed? Or…where do I find the original story I want to know everything now.

3. Skittles&Bits says:

Grant Gustin’s prison scenes always hit me where it hits. Stop making me cry! It’s only Tuesday! Between that and his confession, I was a blubbering mess. (Eddie needs to bounce so we can get some WestAllen lovin’ but that’s just me). I had a theory that Wells isn’t Reverse Flash but rather someone (from the future) funding Reverse Flash’s plans. I still think that theory is possible b/c I can’t think of anyway for him to be Reverse Flash now since he obviously got his rear handed to him by someone other than himself. So unless the group saw a collective hallucination of him getting roughed up, Wells isn’t RF. That being said, the ending bit where he says: “Merry Christmas” definitely creeped me out because for the life of me I can’t figure out his guy’s endgame. And that, IMO, is the mark of a compelling villain. He plays the considerate, caring boss with Cisco and Kaitlin, the concerned pseudo-father with Barry and then he’s this plotting sociopath who fakes being wheelchair beyond. And I’m left going: “Whuuuttt?” and wondering why I have to wait to January 20 to get me some moar. I honestly don’t know what I’ll do with myself till then…maybe knit?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Well…. 1) Could the suit operate unmanned? Or, 2) Is Wells fast enough to zip back and forth within that scene? Also explains how the trap oddly malfunctioned.

• B says:

He’s a time traveler. It’s Present-Wells and Future-Wells. Or, Future-Wells and Further-Future-Wells.

• Kim (@AD76) says:

I was wondering if the suit can operate unmanned as well. At this point, it’s the only explanation I can think of why Reverse Flash and Wells can be in the same scene. Not unless he’s so fast that he can some how project himself… but would that have anything to do with speed??

• redmommy25 says:

But he is a time traveler. Right? So if it IS Wells, wouldn’t it just be the Wells of the future coming back to fight present-day Barry, et. al? And, that also probably means that a future and/or alternate dimension version of Flash was the one chasing Reverse Flash and trying to prevent him from killing Nora, hence the reason there were streaks of red and yellow at the time of her death.

• Skittles&Bits says:

But how could he make the suit run that fast? Speedster’s tap into the speed force to run that fast. Unless the suit somehow taps into the speed force? Or the suit uses some crazy 25th century science/magic technology that allows it run that fast. This time travel bit is confusing…

• William Benson says:

Here’s what I think…I think Eddie is the “Malcolm Thawne” character from the books who learns to HATE Barry Allen. He passes the hatred down generations. I think Wells is probably ‘Zoom’ or Eobard Thawne. A refugee from the future…and Eddie’s descendent. I think a future version of him fought himself…(time Travel)…and that’s why he couldn’t kill Eddie. It’d cause a paradox that would result in him NOT being born.

• bj says:

I was also wondering if the suit could operate remotely.

• Briggs says:

My only issue with the idea it’s remotely controlled is that there are many instances in which Wells couldn’t have been controlling the suit, like when he was whisked from his chair for a beatdown or when Barry took the Reverse Flash outside. This is futuristic tech, and it probably could be programmed to interact with people without being manipulated, but it could just as easily be another Reverse Flash. There are at least 3 that I’m aware of.

• redmommy25 says:

I still think it’s Eddie from the future, and Dr. Wells is aiding him. Did you notice how he stopped and stared at Eddie, and then later Eddie says, Why didn’t he kill me? I think Dr. Wells is mostly definitely involved but I am still hoping for a twist, too.

• Skittles&Bits says:

Yes, I also think there’s something suspicious about Eddie. Mostly because in the comics Eddie is RF and I feel like the writers wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to do so much with his character besides make him Iris’ SO. Plus, the way Wells said: “Detective Thawne” really struck a chord with me. Everything comes back to Wells. Why does he have a speedster’s ring if he, himself, is not a speedster? Unless he stole it? Or is holding it for another speedster?

• Resa says:

At first I was thinking Wells was controlling an unmanned robot. But the theory that Eddie is Reverse-Flash and Wells is helping him makes a whole lot of sense.

• herman1959 says:

This theory fits the best with what we know so far, plus I have never trusted Eddie.

• cmmorgan32 says:

Wells can still be Reverse Flash. Since time travel is a part of the show, it’s certainly possible that Wells (from a different point in his timeline) came back to beat up 2014 Wells. After all, Wells does have a vested interest in keeping the future (as he knows it) intact. It’s also a possibility that the RF in question that attacked Wells was Eddie or a Thawne descendant. Unless I missed something, the RF from tonight didn’t explicitly say that he killed Nora Allen (when asked). That certainly leaves the possibility of multiple RF’s (Wells and a Thawne) in this time period. The writer’s certainly appear to be taking Eddie down a darker path based on the task force & his jealousy towards Barry. Plus, we really don’t know much about Eddie at this point. If he’s not RF yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes RF by season’s end (depending on how long it is until things go downhill with Iris).

• Shannon says:

I think you are right except I think Wells come back from the future to change it. I think he wants the Flash to live and not disappear. Every time he saw the paper from the future say the Flash had disappeared he got mad and when it show that flash didn’t exist at all then he was really mad. So he may have come back to make sure this Reverse Flash doesn’t do anything to Berry.

• Rich Abey says:

The prison scenes are indeed one of the strong points of the show. Why should Eddie leave to make way for some ‘WestAllen loving’? I still don’t see that happening as they just don’t have any chemistry that indicates any bond beyond best friends/siblings. Barry & Caitlin on the other hand do have a spark about them and given that Ronnie is no longer Ronnie they might just find comfort in each other as the season goes on.

• Briggs says:

If we’re going to start pairing Caitlin up with anyone, can we please wait until she’s out of mourning? That’s been my main problem with this pairing. Caitlin is still in mourning over Ronnie. In a way that is clearly obvious to the viewers. Besides which, Wells promised they’d help him, so Ronnie isn’t off the table at this point.
        I’ve also seen an interview on Afterbuzz TV where Danielle Panabaker, upon being asked about SnowBarry, said she saw them as friends. While this isn’t necessarily proof it’s not a thing, it doesn’t really add fuel to the ‘ship, either.

• Jason says:

Barry and Caitlin can never be, considering Caitlin is the alter-ego of Killer Frost. AKA Firestorm’s arch nemesis. Which means Caitlin is going to turn evil sometime in the show and try to kill her former fiance (along with the two people that fused with him).

• Kara says:

I dont see any aparks between barry and caitlin, whereas i do with him and iris, i feel like ppl just want to hate them because they r canon

4. Jennifer says:

This show is so heartfelt. Tears! So many tears tonight! Also, I totally thought the same thing about the shaggy wig!

5. Kim (@AD76) says:

If Wells is the man in the yellow suit, how did he hand his ass to himself? I’m not familiar with the comics, so I don’t know much about that universe, but I’m a wanna-be comic book geek. Loved Firestorm! I thought it was a great episode. The Joe/Barry convo had me almost wondering who was cutting onions in my apartment.

• redmommy25 says:

It would probably only work if it was the future version of Reverse Flash coming back to present day. If you go to Wikipedia to read about Reverse Flash, you’ll see how much time travel is involved. Warning, though: It might make your head hurt. The storyline gets convoluted and retconned, so read everything lightly as a source of background and then throw it all out the window because the TvmV show is obviously picking and choosing which elements they use!

6. Azerty says:

If last week was awesome, tonight was epic. Best episode so far! It is really good to se that if they want to be serious, they can pull it of. But now I am so confused, I think in the first 8 episodes I must have changed my mind one thousand times about Wells until this episode in which I took my decision: he is a good guy. Uuuuntil that last scene, super wrong! But I don’t understand if he is the Reverse Flash at some point why the man in the yellow suit, let’s call him Future Reverse Flash beat him? They hinted that Future Reverse Flash is Eddie’s descendant which would explained why he didn’t hurt him, but in that case why would Future RF beat Wells who would also be his past self just like Eddie? That makes no sense! Or Wells replicated himself somehow and had to beat himself by the duplicate to mislead everyone? Argh, so much questions!!! And I am glad I was right when I said there were 2 Speedsters the night Barry’s mum died. Is it Barry? Is it Future Barry? Is it Wells? Bart Allen? Wally West? Jay Garrick? Marty Mcfly? So many poossibilites! This serie has everything I love: powers, time travel, many twists and I even liked the scene between Barry and Iris, for once it was not too cheesy. And when Firestorm flew away, wow… January can’t come “fast” enough!

• redmommy25 says:

He would beat himself up so people didn’t think it was actually him!

• bceezy says:

I think you are right about Wells, replicating himself. He has had a chance to get DNA from all medihumans he’s came in contact with except firestorm. He could have come up with a way to copy himself like the guy from the previous episode and control him from in the force field because he would be able to control him mentally, like the other guy

• Donna MaMa says:

great writing – is is supposed to be that way, keeps everyone watching!!!!

• herman1959 says:

I always thought we were supposed to assume that there were two speedsters because there were two colors – that’s how clueless I am about this show, but I love it.

7. James D says:

Firestorm was Awesome :) I’m a little flabbergasted at Wells being Reverse Flash, his entire existence up to this point makes no sense now why would he be so concerned with protecting Barry? Why if he’s from the future and knew all about Barry would he be responsible for creating the Flash? not sure about this but i’ll continue to watch in ignorant bliss because its Flash! :)

• redmommy25 says:

In one of the comics, Reverse Flash becomes convinced that he only exists because The Flash exists. Therefore, he goes back in time and kills Barry’s mother, thus ensuring the creation of Barry as The Flash while securing his own existence.

• redmommy25 says:

Or something similar to that. There are like four Reverse Flashes and way too many storylines from which to choose! And there is no Harrison Wells in any of those, so who knows what the show will ultimately do!

• Tatharnio says:

In the comics, Professor Zoom, The Reverse Flash from the 25th century is Flash’s greatest fan. Which is why he gave himself speed powers (It was originally a formula that he doused himself in, which caused his suit to reverse colours). If we assume these parts of the RF’s history are still true, that would explain why he killed Barry’s mom. She HAS to die for the Flash to be created. Same goes for the reactor. Ronnie, Cisco and Caitlin had stopped the explosion, and he turned it back on. Because it had to go off to create Flash. I’m also pretty sure he’s not Wells, as Wells died with his wife in that crash (Possibly as created by Reverse Flash), at which point he took over his life.

As for how he was in two places at once? Time travel. If he can run fast enough to break the time barrier to come back from the 25th Century, it should be child’s play to run back a couple of hours and beat himself up in order to get the tachyon accelerator to add to his suit (Which likely augments the speed he already has).

8. Tsuki says:

Okay total theory but couldn’t Dr. Wells not be the Reverse-Flash at all but rather a guy capitalizing on Barry’s past to motivate him to strive further? He’s been all about motivating Barry to run faster, get better, while staring creepily at the future newspaper. He was worried when Barry was not in the newspaper.

Could Wells simply have created a “yellow suit” and using science, created the effect of the Man in Yellow to motivate Barry to become more?

Since that’s totally what is happening. Also clearly Barry will timetravel back to the night his mother died since the red blur was there. The showrunner already told us time travel would be introduced soonish.

9. Trenton says:

My theory is that Wells thinks he is Reverse Flash. That wheelchair he rocks isn’t just for show. He has some disease a la MS that periodically comes and goes or its deteriorating. His first scenes with Barry he talked about a treasure of medical discoveries that go with Barry’s abilities. So he made the yellow suit which can absorb Barry’s powers with the intention of wearing it to cure himself. But it isn’t him that ultimately wears it he just thinks he will be. Somehow it will be Eddie in that suit. Probably doing something heroic saving Barry or Iris but power corrupts and or he sees Iris and Barry Lanistering. Notice how RF pushed Eddie out of the way of on-coming bullets. That’s Eddie from the Future saving Eddie from the present. He tried to kill Barry as a child so he could have Iris or erase Barry from becoming the Flash. But Wells is so intent on helping Barry become the Flash because he needs Barry at full speed to make the suit work. How he knows the future is unclear but if that was something be had access to b4 the particle accelerator which makes sense since that was all to give Barry powers, bc he already knew Barry was going to get powers. He proved he had a knack for uncovering identities with Oliver. Anyways that’s my twisty theory.

• Trenton says:

Tacheons are about time travel. Its Eddie and Barry in that room as when Barry was a kid. Barry is going to try and save his mom but she will intuit its Barry and realize he needs to save himself. Total TV moment getting to see his mom one last time and mom gets to be the hero showing Barry being a hero has always been a part of him as it was a part of his mom.

• J says:

Lanistering…lol

10. M3rc Nate says:

My current theory: Future Eddie is the Reverse Flash. The Reverse Flash says “we’ve been going at this a long time” which makes me think hes from the future, and that they have a bad relationship (nemesis’ obviously). Interesting they establish that in the episode Barry tells Iris he loves her….and her reaction to both being told that by Barry and Eddie asking her has me suspecting she has feelings for him. She didn’t act in that scene with a “i don’t feel the same way” vibe like we have seen from Simmons to Fitz on Marvel’s AoS. My point is I think things continue to happen (partly because of The Flash, partly because of Barry) that makes Eddie’s life SUCK. Iris ends things with him or kinda cheats on him with Barry (maybe a kiss, maybe her just loving him and Eddie finding out and feeling betrayed/emotionally cheated on). Then add to it all that in this episode he was just made aware of 1) Metahuman’s and 2) A Metahuman killed Barry’s mother. Then add to that the fact that he is already the leader of a “Flash hunting task force”. The guy is setup and primed to feel betrayed by Barry, put that anger/hate into his job (hunting The Flash) and eventually find out they are the same and the only way to take him down is to become fast like him…he then becomes the Reverse Flash and eventually (in the future) travels back in time to kill Barry’s mom, and do certain things.

I bet that the fake out is that Well’s actually is a good guy, he actually is looking out for Barry and making sure he stays on his course to be the Flash ever since the Reverse Flash went back in time and started messing things up and trying to change things. Aka Well’s went back in time after the Reverse Flash did to protect Barry from the Reverse Flash.

Just my current theory.

• M3rc Nate says:

NVM lol. Just finished the last few minutes of the ep. Damn…so that has to be confirming he is the Reverse Flash…but how could he fight himself? Hmmm….and whats the thing he put on the suit? I know its the tech the RFlash wanted but…it makes him invulnerable? Then theres the question of the “other speedster”…i gotta assume thats Barry’s dad…dang-it! So many mysteries! lol

• lori says:

I think he actually is Barry from the future. They are built similarly and resemble each other, even downi to the slightly wavy hair.

11. Rell says:

The comment of it being Eddie from the future is true because in comics that was RF name but he was a professor not a cop. Wells definitely got something to do with it hints the future tech. This show is definitely awesome since smallville went off I’ve been waiting for something of this magnitude to come out and I’m happy that its the flash can’t wait til jan

12. Baby Gabz says:

I’ve solved the puzzle.

Professor x is from an alternate dimension in the future. He is coaching Barry to be faster than reverse flash, to change the bad future outbreak.

Remember, everyone caught in an explosion gets powers? Professor X’s powers are that he can see the future And control it.

Yep. That makes sense.

13. Baby Gabz says:

Also, as Barry ages he gets better, bounce the reason an older yellow flash kicked his cheeks.

Don’t argue with the logic, it’s SOLID

14. cpc321 says:

I believe it is eddie but from the future. That would be one of the only reasons he didnt kill Eddie then. Because if he did he would be killing himself thus ending him. But I still dont understand how Dr. Wells could make that voice if it was Eddie.

• Trenton says:

Its just a modulated voice. He intends to be RF, ergo made the suit but he can’t wear it yet as he hasn’t cracked all of Barry’s abilities. Still tinkering as he stole blood from the guy who drained Barry’s powers to reverse engineer it.

15. robinepowell says:

I called it!!!! After Joe and Dr. Wells talked a few weeks ago and all of sudden Reverse Flash showed up and took all of Joe’s files on Nora Allen’s murder.
    I knew Dr. Wells was Reverse ash and tonight I was proven right.
    Now, just how did he get in two places at once?

16. Sarah says:

I have to say I’m not totally convinced Reverse Flash is Wells. Obviously he knows something but I think some of the actors were quoted in interviews saying something about the fan theories being wrong – and obviously one of the major fan theories from the start was Wells. I don’t know what to think! Which I’m perfectly okay with. As long as the mystery keeps me guessing and interested I’m happy to let it play out. I am such a total geek for this show…

17. mirvin365 says:

I usually don’t comment but I had to say: this is single handedly the best recap title of all time. Thank you.

18. ndixit says:

Can everyone join me in a round of applause for Grant Gustin? He was fantastic in this episode. He really pulled at my heartstrings and made me cry, and I never cry when watching tv. He was really remarkable in the scene with his father at prison, his confession scene with Iris, and his scene with Joe towards the end. Great episode.

19. Ram510 says:

is it possible that Eddie Thawne is also one of the Flash’s?

20. BrittBrat says:

I have so many questions that my head might explode!!!!!

21. Ahsan says:

Read through all the comments and I think I have better explanation. Maybe. Wells IS Barry allen from the future and travelled back in time to save his mom. Due to an issue he looses his power and get stuck.

This can be seen from the fact that wells take on extra care in training Barry after all his future depends on it and also the fact that he monitors the future to see if there is a discovery that is made that will allow for his return. Hope it makes sense.

22. Gail says:

How about for the next crossover with Arrow it is discovered that the Red Flash that young Barry saw when his mother died was a time traveling Barry Allen and he succeeds in saving his mother. This, of course, changes history Everything in the present is much worse and it takes a team up with Arrow to set things right. Kind of a TV version of Flashpoint comic.

The have said there will be time travel soon. Can’t wait for the creation of the Cosmic Treadmill.

23. Rick Katze says:

AofS and Flash: both awesome shows. I give a slight edge to Flash because while they initiated as many unanswered questions, there seemed to be more questions answered in the Flash. And Flash returns in January, not ugh March for AofS which I suspect is designed around the premiere of Avengers 2.

24. I have two crazy theories.

1 – Dr Wells is Barry Allen of the future. He went back in time to stop his mother’s murder but failed. He ended up stuck in the past, where he used his knowledge of future tech to create this scientist persona for himself. Also his failure has lead him to go off the deep end so he is trying to mold Barry into a more bad ass, better, version of himself so that he will not fail the way he did.

2 – Reverse Flash is Barry’s father. In some meta-interconnecting-crazy thing. They have brought THREE actors from the original Flash TV series into this one. Pays and Hamill are both playing the same characters they played before. So isn’t it weird that they are continuing those two but Shipp isn’t? But what if he is? What if at some point he went rogue some point in the future and becomes Reverse Flash? He goes back in time, murders Iris and changes other things in a Flashpoint type storyline that leads to Barry becoming Flash instead of himself? Perhaps he doesn’t even know Barry is Flash yet.

25. Gail says:

Since the pilot we have known that Welles has knowledge of the future when they showed the headline that Flash was killed during a crisis. So is he trying to guide Barry to meet his fate which will save the world ie make sure he doesn’t get killed before the crisis? Is he trying to make Barry faster, stronger, and smarter so he will survive the crisis. Did Welles bring the information from the future, did someone from the future give it to him, or has he developed equipment which can forecast future outcomes based on present circumstances. Does the future change if Barry changes.

26. Briggs says:

Right off the bat, holy crap. Dr. Wells, who are you? Because, as was pointed out by someone on an after show I follow, only three people have that ring, and not one of them is a Reverse Flash. So first, he’s promising Caitlin they can help Ronnie. Then we see him getting beat up by a man in a yellow suit, then seemingly *recharging* a yellow suit. So that was a ‘what the crap’ moment for me.
    Speaking of Caitlin, I felt so bad for her in this ep. Obviously, that looks like Ronnie, but he isn’t acting like Ronnie, barely sounds like Ronnie… I don’t know who has it worse, him or her. But really, her scenes with Cisco were so sweet, he’s totally her brother/BFF.
    Cisco gets points for helping her with the search, btw, even if he thought it was fruitless. It shows that these two have a bond that goes beyond just working together. The accident really made them part of a family.
    The fun family scene, the tree trimming, was very funny. Barry first decorating the tree, then undecorating it, then getting berated by Iris for being ‘lazy’, it was fantastic. I felt so sad, though, after he finally told her out he felt. He’d obviously given up, and now Iris feels guilty, which is going to change the dynamics between them from now on. She’s still said nothing, but she’s going to. She wouldn’t be Iris if she didn’t. Remember the discussion between Felicity and Barry at the end of episode 4? It might not be a bad thing…
    Eddie, getting jealous again. I don’t know if he’s just insecure, or doesn’t trust either her or Barry, but he needs to get it together, or he’s not going to have to worry about Barry stealing her. He might just lose her outright. Though his stunned look when Joe told him about the Flash was priceless. Definitely heading somewhere interesting with him.
    Meanwhile, Joe? Still awesome. As always.
    Harry Allen’s pep talk definitely had more feels than expected. The emotional depth of that scene hit me so hard. Now I want him to get out of prison even *more*.
    The Reverse Flash. Oh, there are no words for this.
    A great ep, hope to see more of this (and better) when they come back Jan. 20.

• bj says:

Thanks, Briggs. I’ve been scrolling looking for a comment about what happened in this episode. You’ve definitely covered all the bases.

I felt bad for Caitlin in this one too but I must admit I loved Firestorm when he chased off the Reverse Flash and then flew away. Awesome scene.

Barry’s scenes with both of his “fathers” were great. I was sniffing away. Barry has so much guilt about not being able to help his father who’s in jail, but you can also see that he loves Joe who’s been an absolutely great dad to him over the years.

Eddie was definitely getting a little jealous. He’d better temper those feelings. Loved the look on his face when Joe said that the Flash was the one who just saved both our lifes. lol

And I’m wondering how the dynamic between Barry and Iris will change now.

That scene with Wells at the end definitely caught be off guard, especially the voice. Woow!! Can’t wait for more.

• Briggs says:

Very few shows get me excited enough to do a recap within a recap. LOL The Flash is one of them. Though I’m sure I annoy some people when I do it. :)

• bj says:

I love a good recap and a good reply to it. lol I love to hear what other people think about the episode, and whether or not my favorite parts were also theirs.

The only thing that annoys me is when the comic aficionados start telling us exactly what’s going to happen because it’s in the back story of the characters. If that’s a fact, then it’s a SPOILER. Those of us who haven’t read the comics are making guesses based on the show. We don’t have an answer sheet.

• Briggs says:

I haven’t thought we were going with canon since Arrow introduced us to Oliver’s sister, Thea, a char that never existed in the comics.

27. Wes says:

My guess, Wells is a descendent of Eddie’s, and there’s 2 Wells working together on this. R-F in the suit doesn’t kill Eddie because, well cancelling one’s existence much?

28. jj says:

Firestorm is awesome! Hope we see more of him in the future.

29. Anna says:

I just wanted to say that, Matt, if there was an award for the best headline of a TVLine recap, this one would deserve it. I now have that song stuck in my head, but still, awesome headline!

30. Joey Padron says:

Great episode. Robbie did great as Firestorm. sad for Caitlin. Surprised Wells is reverse Flash. Glad he uses the suits for super speed since he can’t do it as himself. Can’t wait for new episodes next month!

31. herman1959 says:

The finale was so awesome that I’m not even sure what the ending meant! Is Dr. Wells the Reverse Flash, and if he is doesn’t that mean he was fighting with himself, AND if so does that mean that he has enough energy to embody two “beings” at the same time and in same place?????? HELP!

• DonnaMaMa says:

Just keep watching and enjoy – thinking they are going to keep us guessing about Wells, a red herring – they are building Eddie’s back story about him Iris and Barry and it is a great ride, very exciting

32. Donna MaMa says:

OMG – how awesome is this show, I read all of the comments on this post and the theories you all have and the back and forth – ARE THE WRITERS DOING THEIR JOB OR WHAT!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait for Arrow tonight, and bare chested in the snow, fighting Ra’s, what the hay, how cool will this be??

33. KC says:

This show is great – one of the best this season. The entire Caitlin storyline needs to go though, not too interested in that one.

34. Rich Abey says:

1. So if Dr. Wells is Reverse-Flash (or else how does he have the same exact Reverse-Flash/RF costume in possession & that same deep/creepy voice as RF?), how was he at 2 places at once and got beaten up…is he fast enough for time travelling?
    2. Wells did not have the tachyons (the prototype from Mercury that was stolen by RF) with him in that final scene or did he? We did not see that Flash-crested ring before…so it is possible that Wells had it all along but could not activate it without the tachyons. Still the ring was used to activate the RF costume…but as a Reverse-Flash was running around already…so the ring/tachyons wasn’t required to activate that costume, meaning that there are 2 Reverse-Flash’s. The RF we have seen so far (including Barry’s moms killer) is a different one to Wells’ which is why he beat up Wells, but all Reverse-Flash’s have the same voice?

Biggest problem: If Wells is a Reverse-Flash (whether he was the one zipping around or not non-withstanding), why does he need Barry’s Flash?

35. Imperiects says:

If Wells is from the future he probably chose a new name to not bring suspicion. He could be Eobard Thawne. That would explain why he didn’t kill Eddie. Eddie dead would probably mean no RF

36. Imperiects says:

Another theory is Wells is BArry who vanished after Infinite Crisis. He always seems to be checking that article like he is hoping for it to change.

37. Heather W says:

I’m betting Dr. Wells and Barry both find a way to time travel. The yellow blur obviously is Dr. Wells but I bet the red one, the one that got young Barry out was the adult Barry. I’m gonna take a leap and say that Barry will find out about Dr. Wells and he’s going to tell Barry “It had to be done. If she didn’t get murdered that night, you (Barry) would not have gone on this vendetta that has lead you to become the Flash, the hero.” With most super hero’s (not all and even more so with villains) its usually a personal tragedy that defines them. Makes them who they are, a person trying to save others from such turmoil. Example being Oliver Queen, if he hadn’t gone on that boat trip (I may even go as far as to say if his mom had told him about his kid with an old flame) he would not had suffered through all those tragedies and become what he is today. Someone who wants to protect the city, a hero. Same goes with Bruce Wayne. I get the feeling, and even Joe mentions it at one point, if his mom had not died, he wouldn’t be the flash and Dr. Wells knew they needed a hero. No, its not justifiable by any means, but I bet that’s what Dr. Wells will try to get Barry to understand.

38. Heather W says:

I’m still confused as to why he didn’t attack Eddie…maybe Dr. Wells and Eddie merge into one meta human?

39. Jared says:

The past 2 episodes of The Flash have truly shown how strong of an actor Grant Gustin really is. When Barry was crying to his father in jail it literally broke my heart and made me look at Grant as an actor in a while new light. Great episode in general. Cant wait for the rest of the season!

40. No one has mentioned this but was anyone else surprised that Eddie and Iris had already been dating for a year? Nine episodes and more than year has already passed…I thought it would have been a few months at the most.

41. Mustafa mussa says:

The suspense is killing me.lol

42. Josh says:

Also, why did wells put that thing on the suit? And what was happening to the suit????? Nobody seems to be talking about this.

43. Gary Lakes says:

I’ve read some different speculations on the Dr. Wells, and I’ve kinda concluded that Dr. Wells is Barry Allen from the future and came back to keep the future intact because if he didn’t RF would’ve killed Barry. And the “Crisis” the newspaper talks about is probably him traveling back in time. RF is Eddie from the future coming back to kill Barry because he got in between him and Iris. And I think reason Dr. Wells had that suit was because somehow over the time that he was I the present day world he lost his powers. Ex. RF found his research on Farooq who could take the Flash power. And he can’t fix it because it would be too noticible to everyone. RF didn’t kill Eddie because it is him or his son. It could be his son mad at Barry for possibly killing Eddie because of an Iris thing and he kills Nora Allen to take what Barry took from him. That’s what I think because of other theory’s and the comic books

44. MattySi. says:

OK I’m confused. Is Wells the reverse flash? But then who was the red guy that was there when Barry’s mother died? Was it Barry from the future? Was it his unknown twin brother from the future?

It was a great episode but there are so many questions leaving me just completely lost

45. Gqfootballstar11 says:

I am sooooo confused how is dr.wells reverse flash but dr.wells got beat up by reverse flash they were in the same room at the same time

46. Brian says:

i thought it was great until they showed Wells with the suit and did the voice. It was the predictable choice. Rather hold of and give us a false sense or just don’t do it. Kind of a let down for me. I like Wells and wanted to see him be something more than just a bad guy.

47. Nick Lucier says:

Just an idea, when Cisco said there were two speedsters in the room that night, I thought it was pretty obvious it WAS the flash, fighting reverse flash, as they both came back in time, yellow possibly to kill Barry as a kid and future flash to stop him, which is why Dr Wells has the newspaper that says the flash disappeared in the future.

Currently I thought Wells might be the younger version of reverse Flash, his wounds do seem to be healing quite quickly there, but why would the yellow flash say nice to finally meet you, and then proceed to beat him to a pulp.

Tachyons are thought to be the particle that can move faster then light, and in theory allow time travel.

48. Jason says:

I love how they’re building up into the Flashpoint Paradox. Barry went back in time to save his mother and fought Reverse Flash. That’s LITERALLY how it happened in the comics. And considering Reverse Flash can tap into the ‘reverse speedforce’ which focuses more on time related things, it’s obvious how Wells beat himself up.

‘Specially considering his injuries started to heal in the scene where he attaches the tachyon generator.

49. Carlo A says:

I think we have a Kang-Immortus-Rama Tut-Nathan Richards-Iron Lad type of back-story for Harrison Wells.. Multiple iterations of the same person branching off into multiple parallel versions.. If Reverse Flash is Wells, then he beat himself up to avoid falling into that trap the next time Reverse Flash makes his way from the future to the present.. Wells is a mega-fan from the future, a la Eobard Thawne; but he wants to make a Better Flash out of Barry a la Hunter Zolomon..