Memories From the Set

Memories from the Set: Morena Baccarin Reflects on Firefly, Homeland, V, Mentalist, HIMYM and More

Morena Baccarin Red Tent

Sometimes associated with more “futuristic” fare — either as V‘s fierce alien queen or Firefly‘s outer-space Companion — Morena Baccarin with one of her latest roles traveled back in time, to the days of the Old Testament, for Lifetime’s The Red Tent miniseries.

Based on the best-seller by Anita Diamant and airing Sunday and Monday at 9/8c, The Red Tent spins a tale told through the eyes of Dinah (The White Queen‘s Rebecca Reguson), the daughter of Leah (Minnie Driver, About a Boy) and Jacob (Iain Glen, Game of Thrones). The mini opens with Dinah’s childhood spent inside the titular tent where the women of her tribe congregated to share the traditions — and turmoil — of womanhood. “It was a really safe, amazing environment,” Baccarin says of the gathering place.

As Rachel, one of Jacob’s four wives, Baccarin plays someone who “really operates from her heart, and who has faith in life in people,” the actress shares. “I love this character so much!”

Of course, Baccarin has played a wide variety of characters during her time on TV, including a Sunny transsexual and of course Homeland‘s stalwart Jessica Brody. In the slideshow below, she reflects on those roles and others, including her turns on The Good Wife, How I Met Your Mother and Gotham‘s upcoming winter run.

1. Tom says:

She is so magnificent.

2. Ella says:

She also had a great recurring role on the later seasons of Stargate SG-1! Such an awesome lady!

3. Mike says:

Her Firefly character’s name was Inara Serra not Irana Serra. Look forward to seeing her on Gotham!

4. Tran says:

Guess fans of Homeland won’t see the last of Jessica Brody.

• Azerty says:

Why? Is she supposed to come back in Homeland?

• Tran says:

Not 100% sure. Last season was a disappointment in my opinion.

• Azerty says:

As much as Iike this actress and specially her role in homeland, I am not sure her return would make sense. They moved on with the Brody family and even if Brody himself returned from the deads there is not much to tell about Jessica. Carrie could probably introduce Franny to Jessica and her kids but it would be a very cruel move.

5. Steve F. says:

Nice article – though I was hoping that Morena Baccarin would explain what Inara’s big secret was on Firefly/Serenity.

Also, I’ve always thought she’d make a good Wonder Woman. Maybe she could still be cast as Hippolyta (Diana’s mom)…?

• Georgia Madman says:

She was dying on Firefly. That’s why she left the Companion order. There was one scene (TV or movie I can’t remember) where she pulls out a vial in a case. I assume it was poison to be used in the pain got too bad

6. Shar says:

My husband has had a crush on her since Firefly and she is wonderful and a scene stealer. I look forward to seeing her in Gotham.. and now I guess hubby will start watching it with me :)

7. Babygate says:

I hope we see more of her on network TV. I thought she was underutilized in Homeland. Looking forward to seeing her on Gotham.

8. Mable says:

Looking forward to seeing her back as Erica Flynn on The Mentalist! She’s great with Simon Baker and I can’t wait to see if she gets away again.

9. wwwjoecastleit says:

vorrei un tuo autografo mia amata regina Anna

10. leahbh says:

So who dies she play? Rachel, or Leah’s daughter?

11. Krissi G says:

Don’t forget she played a pretty major role in the last couple of seasons of Stargate: SG1. She played Adria the leader of the Ori that had bodies since she was basically a highly evolved entity (Ori) put into a human body.