Sons of Anarchy Preview: Jimmy Smits Teases 'Grim' Series Finale

Jimmy Smits Sons of Anarchy

Sons of Anarchy fans, you have been warned: Nero Padilla’s idyllic life on the farm may not come to fruition after all.

In the last 12 episodes alone, the FX drama’s body count has neared 100, including three major deaths — Juice, Unser and Gemma — that punctuated this week’s installment.

That’s why Jimmy Smits wants Nero fans to be cautiously optimistic heading into Tuesday’s series finale.

“There was a little bit of trepidation on everyone’s part when that final script came in,” Smits told reporters during a conference call on Thursday, adding with a laugh, “Nero made it to the end, but maybe not the end end.”

Though Smits remained understandably tight-lipped about next week’s finale, he was able to hint that Nero will be left reeling in the wake of Gemma’s death — a death he could have prevented.

“You’ll see more than guilt,” Smits said. “It’s touching in a lot of ways. It’s sad. But it’s grim, too.”

Smits also echoed co-star Katey Sagal when asked if fans will be satisfied by the series ender. “I don’t think audiences will be disappointed at all,” he said. “The audience is going to be satisfied with the way it ends up, and that it continues to deliver a one-two punch. [Showrunner] Kurt [Sutter] ended it really beautifully.”

But was Smits himself satisfied with Nero’s ultimate end? That’s a different matter.

“I was a little surprised about the way Nero specifically ends up,” Smits hinted. “But I get it. I totally get it.”

Sons fans, what ending do you anticipate for Nero? Hit the comments with your theories!

1. disonba3 says:

Nero and Wendy retire to the farm, raise, her boy, Nero’s boy and Wendy has to raise Jax’s youngest son as he got killed; Nero and Wendy aren’t secually involved, just two friends who are trying to provide their children with a better, safer, more stable manner, facts that non of these keds had ever had! RIDE ON S.O.A.

2. Yoki says:

Either he is killed or becomes a member.

3. He becomes the new President.

4. christine says:

I hope Nero doesnt kill Jax in retribution

5. Den says:

And when Abel grows up, he decides to take up his middle name, Dexter.

6. Cas says:

I hope he lives and gets his wish. On a side note, I enjoyed Jax blowing Gemmas brains out more than I thought I would. And about time Unser died.

7. memaw says:

don’t think nero is going to make it !!

8. RGL says:

I think Nero is going to do drugs again. I’ d like for him to be the new President, but i don’t think is going to happen. After the last episode i’m pretty sure that Happy is the rat.

9. Nero and Wendy end up raising his son, her son and Thomas. They have to stay in Charming to take over Teller Morrow and Jax’s half of Diosa atleast until it is sold, then they eventually will make the move to the farm. Like Jax told Abel, ‘You will always have a Daddy and a Mommy who do their best for you’. Jax will die on his Dads old motorcycle. Nero stays clear of the MC.

10. Valley girl says:

I think Chibs is the rat! If you go back and watch the episodes there are times when he says or does things that are totally sketch! And I don’t think Gemma is jax’s real mom I think the lady from Belfast is, his half sisters mom.

11. JS says:

Chibs will kill Jax due to the mayhem vote and Nero becomes the new President! lol jk Who knows but Kurt did say Chibs would break our hearts. I hope Nero doesn’t die at least and somehow picks the pieces up of his life and finds peace on the farm maybe or something. Only time will tell.

12. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I hope Nero makes it I can’t picture him going after Jax when he finds out about Gemma. He just needs to forget about that and focus on getting his boy, Wendy, Abel and Thomas to that farm. Can’t wait to see how the FINAL RIDE plays out tomorrow night!!!!

13. ron says:

Prediction- Jax’s son has been reading and visualizing from the diary that his father has written throughout the entire series. The entire show has been what Jax wrote in the diary. The kid is now grown and the president of the club. All the members just attended the funeral of his father (Jax) as an old man. This would be the best way to close out the entire series because there would be too many people left at limbo if it ends in current time without everyone dying and it provides a happy-ish ending to The Sons Of Anarchy.

14. MARK CULP says:

I love the show SON’S OF ANARCHY I THINK KURT is making A Mis take by us who love to watch the show it is A great show and I have bought every single season since the first I hope he will reinvent the show and bring it back to life for us fans who love it so much.