Ratings: State of Affairs Bows Below Blacklist; Castle, NCIS: LA, 2BG Rise

State of Affairs Premiere Ratings

Katherine Heigl’s TV Comeback! (aka NBC’s State of Affairs) premiered on Monday to 8.7 million total viewers and a 2.2 demo rating (per finals).

Those numbers fall shy of The Blacklist‘s most recent performance in the time slot (9.8 mil/2.5) but stand as NBC’s No. 2-rated regularly scheduled drama premiere of the past two years (trailing far behind Blacklist‘s own bow).

TVLine readers gave the freshman drama an average grade of “C+.”

Opening the Peacock’s night, The Voice (11.1 mil/3.1) dipped a tenth week-to-week.

Elsewhere….

CBS | 2 Broke Girls (7.9 mil/2.1) ticked up from last week’s series low, lame duck The Millers (6.3 mil/1.5) was flat, Scorpion (10.2 mil/2.0) held steady and NCIS: LA (8.8 mil/1.7) was up 7 percent and two tenths, with Blacklist out of the mix.

ABC | With NFL preemptions now subtracted out, Dancing With the Stars (14.3 mil/2.3) was up three tenths in the demo, while Castle (9.4 mil/1.8) grew two tenths.

FOX | Gotham (6.5 mil/2.3) and Sleepy Hollow (4.7 mil/1.6) each ticked up a tenth.

THE CW | The Originals (1.4 mil/0.7) was steady, but Jane the Virgin (1.1 mil/0.4) dipped a tenth.

1. Joe says:

The amount of hype the gave State of Affairs ( which was a lot) should have opened better than this , next week is the big test to see how much it will drop

• Tran says:

State of Affairs may or may not have a big boost with a Voice lead-in in the coming weeks now that we won’t wait until The Blacklist returns February 1st with its post Super Bowl episode and then their big move to Thursdays @ 9 p.m. starting February 5th which should do just fine. Let’s hope State of Affairs is going to topped Castle and NCIS: LA in the 10 p.m. Monday night time slot in the weeks to come.

2. Riana says:

So State of Affairs isn’t DOA, but it probably won’t hold those ratings

3. Alana says:

Man how many preemptions is abc going to have. Hopefully castle won’t fall not much (I know). It was a pretty good episode last night

• tam says:

Probably down two tenths in finals.
      So sick of these football pre emptions uugh

• lupe says:

I think the same way. Castle was great last night!!!

• drhenning says:

The previous week, they delayed Castle in Charlotte till the middle of the night later in the week… The did move Dancing to a sister independent station in Charlotte for a night.. They didn’t do it for Castle since that station has a local news show at 10.. Thankfully for those of us in Charlotte, ABC On Demand had the episode the next morning..

4. Tran says:

Good start for State of Affairs but I don’t know if the series is going to survive in the coming weeks and NBC still has high hopes. If you like The Blacklist then you must watched State of Affairs (ignore the Heigl haters).

• trainwreck says:

Loved the show and so far excited about the twisty reveal at the end.. I can’t get what made people draw similarities between Homeland and State of Affairs except the premise that is set on a CIA agent’s life. Other than that, it has pretty different dynamic going on so far – just wish the wardrobe+accessories would be more professional. As far as Heigl is concerned, she is a good actress. People who hate her should take a good look that how can they hate someone whom they have just “heard” other people say things about… shows about one’s gullibility IMO.

5. Dean says:

Never judge a show by its premier. The next week or two is the deciding factor.

• John NYC says:

Indeed: while that’s the successful sales pitch the actual product is delivered over the following episodes. It did show promise so I hope it makes it.

6. Boiler says:

Maybe HoD will survive on CW?

7. auntiemm says:

I didn’t believe Heigl’s character in the promos but watched to be fair. My opinion did not change.

8. Rick Katze says:

Definitely had the feel of “The Blacklist” since it comes from the same team. Lots of questions. Few Answers. No grade yet but wait and see how it developes over the next couple of weeks.

• Tran says:

If you like The Blacklist than I do then people should like State of Affairs. Don’t know if Katherine Heigl can’t hold a candle with Claire Danes nor Kerry Washington. Think I like State of Affairs better than Madam Secretary (CBS) which I don’t watch it but I’ll give a shot to tune in On Demand.

• trainwreck says:

Claire Danes is trul phenomenal.. and I love Scandal .. but in my opinion Kerry Washington’s acting in Scandal particularly is pretty overrated (Bellamy outshines her by a mile) …. State of affairs shows promise to me and I am a fan of Heigl’s acting. Hoping show will keep up with the fast pace and twisted reveals as in the first episode

• Netty says:

I have nothing against Heigl but that show did nothing for me. I dont think I will keep watching

9. Helen says:

State of Affairs held my attention throughout the premiere. I’ve always liked Heigel so she was not an issue for me. The show seemed very unrealistic but it is fiction and I thought it entertaining. I’ll be sticking around to see how it progresses.

10. Moment says:

Gotham seems to have found its footing. I can’t see it dropping below a 2 this season.

11. dude says:

I just don’t think a soap operatic Homeland was the vehicle to mark Katherine Heigl’s “comeback.” She’s a good actress, if she wanted people to actually take notice of her she should have subvert expectations with a role people wouldn’t have expected from her. This just feels more like “this is what I can get”

12. WHY is more people not watching Jane the Virgin? Its fabulous fun!

• Sara says:

I know! Guess they don’t got it :)

• Moment says:

I think the name puts people off more than anything.

• Just couldn’t find myself invested in anyone in the show. It’s annoying really as while I am admittedly kind of biased towards CW (there’s very little I watch on that network) I was looking for something else to watch Mondays and we know that it’s got a full season at least.

Some others probably find the title annoying and I have to admit while that isn’t why I don’t watch it does feel off-putting, not sure why.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

SHOW TITLES CAN BE VERY VERY SCARY.

• K says:

Jane the Virgin is my new favorite show. It’s got so many good things going for it: mystery, suspense, comedy, romance, and just when you think you can predict what’s going to happen, the show throws you a curve ball. I really hope people give it a chance because it’s like nothing else out there right now.

13. Liz says:

Wasn’t the greatest episode of Scorpion last night. I’m not a huge kathrine McPhee fan unless she’s singing, but they need to give her something to do on the show. I’ve yet to really see her “interpret the world” for them.

14. Ron says:

I’m super happy about the slow but steady week-to-week upticks for Sleepy Hollow.

15. Lauren says:

Noooo Jane the Virgin!

16. Michelle says:

Should be interesting now with the voice ending in a few weeks, goes into holiday programming, then the Apprentice in January.