Mark-Paul Gosselaar Tackles CSI's Gig Harbor Case: 'I Think I Know Who Did It'

CSI Mark Paul Gosselaar

Mark-Paul Gosselaar‘s twisted twins Jared Briscoe and Paul Winthrop return to CSI on Sunday (CBS, 10/9c) as new evidence points to Jared as the Gig Harbor Killer.

RELATED CBS Trims CSI‘s Season 15 Order

Gosselaar tells TVLine he was drawn to this dual role for the complexity of the characters, adding that Jared is “easier” to play because Paul presents more of a challenge; he’s “darker” and Gosselaar hasn’t quite “figured him out yet.”

And speaking of a challenge, Gosselaar recently filmed a scene for his third episode which finds the brothers talking face to face, forcing him to act opposite, well, himself.

“Both twins are speaking to each other in close proximity for two pages of dialogue,” he says. “It was my first time working with a double who was playing me.”

RELATED Bella Thorne on Her Twisted CSI Role: ‘I Like Playing Mean’

Ted Danson CSISunday’s episode, as well as future episodes — Gosselaar is filming his fourth appearance in early 2015 — will delve “deeper into the brothers’ relationship with each other, as well as with Ted Danson’s character,” Gosselaar explains. Just don’t ask him to tell you how it all ends.

“When I showed up for the first episode, I went up to Christopher Barbour, who wrote all the scripts for these episodes, and I was just like, ‘Who did it?'” Gosselaar recalls. “He told me, ‘I don’t know, we’re writing it as we go.’ [Laughs] I think you’ll kind of figure out a little bit more by the third episode, but honestly, I still don’t know who committed the crimes. I think I know who’s behind them, but I’m not sure who committed them.”

In fact, for now, there’s really only one thing Gossellar knows for sure:

“My 10- and 8-year-old kids think it’s pretty cool that dad comes home with neck tattoos from work.”

1. Tran says:

Now that Franklin & Bash got canceled by TNT, can’t wait to see how the Saved by the Bell and NYPD Blue stud is going to fare in his guest starring work on CSI (fingers crossed for a “final season”).

• No need for it to be a final season. The show is constantly reinventing itself, which is good.

• Tran says:

What are you talking about? CBS gave CSI only 18 episodes this season and the move to Sundays was a very bad idea because of football overruns. Don’t even think about it if CSI goes beyond a 16th season.

• Trimming episode count is good. Most of the time, most of the 22 episodes a TV show gets each season are filler. With less episodes, the stories become more important.

• eye says:

Considering that you frequent these sites , surely you’ve noticed how things have been. Haven’t you noticed that when CBS moves shows to Sundays they at least get 2-3 years because 1) they take the football overruns into account and 2) lost ad money is made up for from syndication dollars?

• ChicagoDan says:

The episode order was trimmed partly because of CSI: Cyber which still has to debut. It was ironic that they cut two episodes because of scheduling a few days before CSI was unexpectedly kicked for football two straight weeks. CSI was still winning the Wed 10 p.m slot (and Stalker is down 20-30% from CSI’s average). It was a bad move just like shipping TAR to Friday. Oh, and if this was going to be final season, CBS would’ve announced it with episode trim. It’s not, Mooves has stated that when time comes, CSI will get a proper final season because it (along with Survivor) were integral to the networks success during the past 15 years.

• Jenna says:

Lol. ‘Reinventing’ itself into another generic crime procedural. Ba-bye CSI.

2. GuestHere says:

Sad for CSI–made millions for CBS and now in the dead zone…less is being made in syndication, so why spend money on filming more. And then the writers claim not to know who the latest serial killer is? Oh, that’s sad–really sad! For several years, it seems CSI has not had the leadership (showrunner?) it needs and this statement strengthens that thought.

• Sheila says:

Actually, I don’t think it’s necssary for the writers to have decided yet on which one is the killer. Authors often say that they write as they go and that the stories change.

• GuestHere says:

Probably the one who makes the highest salary–or who is ready to leave! I’ll bet its Finn! With help of the twin. Or maybe its the erased/disappeared brother that Sara once had!