Post Mortem: Covert Affairs EPs Talk Auggie's Dark Road Ahead, Annie and Eyal's (Romantic?) Bond

Covert Affairs - Season 5

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Thursday’s premiere of Covert Affairs.

Who wants to lend Auggie a shoulder to cry on?

On Thursday’s fall premiere of Covert Affairs, Auggie was devastated when he learned his friend and former colleague died of alcohol poisoning — or did he?!

Auggie, convinced that his pal was murdered, now will be pulled into a larger mystery that will connect him to Annie’s mission against Belenko.

Below, executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord reveal what that means for the former lovers and what’s next for Annie and Ryan now that he’s woken up. Plus: Did the episode put the final kibosh on a potential Annie/Eyal romance?

TVLINE | Auggie’s gotten pulled into this conspiracy. How is he going to be handling that going forward? Is he in a darker headspace this season?
CHRIS ORD | Yeah, I think that’s safe to say. You’ll see going forward, in Episode 12, he’s lost a number of members from his unit and that’s going to affect [him] in all sorts of ways. As we go through this back six [episodes], you’ll really see it all come to a head.

TVLINE | What is next on Auggie’s agenda now that he’s involved?
ORD | Well, he wants clarity. He’s wants to follow it down, and he’s going to need Annie’s help to do that. That’s really what the back six is all about: achieving that clarity and then, off of that, realizing all the questions and the new situations that that clarity’s going to create.

TVLINE | Is this the type of arc that’s going to bring Auggie into the field more?
MATT CORMAN | It’s possible. We’re always looking for ways to get him in the field, and I’d say there’s a strong possibility that might happen.
ORD | Not in the way you think.

RELATED White Collar Creator Reveals Scrapped ‘Broken Hearts’ Revenge Plot

Covert Affairs Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | It’s also something that intercepts with Annie’s storyline, so are they going to work together more?
CORMAN | Yes, they’re going to be working together more fully than you would have seen at the beginning of the season.

TVLINE | Is there a possibility that she could return to the CIA?
CORMAN | Look, they value her, so it’s possible. The CIA will always play a prominent role in her life. It’s not so easy to get that out of your system.

TVLINE | With Annie and Augie working together, does that bring up questions about their relationship again? Or is it strictly professional?
CORMAN | It’s more complicated than that. You’ll see. It’s hard to talk about without spoiling what’s going to happen after the premiere. It’s going to get much more complicated and much more emotional.

TVLINE | Ryan’s woken up. Is he going to be able to return straight to work, or will there be a recovery period?
CORMAN | There’s a bit of a recovery period. He was pretty badly injured, so it’s going to take a little bit of time for him to get back on his feet. He’s a dogged guy. He’s going to really try to push the envelope and get back in as quickly as a person could.

TVLINE | And how is the Ryan and Annie relationship going to develop?
CORMAN | It will develop and change and deepen and get more complicated, but I think that we’re definitely playing in that space.

Covert Affairs Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | Eyal told Annie that he reunited with his ex-wife. A lot of fans really love the chemistry between those two characters. Was this sort of your way of saying, “That’s not the trajectory we see for them”?
CORMAN | Not necessarily.
ORD | I would say that’s what we love about it: Annie and Eyal are on different trajectories, and those trajectories intercept and then they come apart and they intercept again and then they’ve moved on and come to different stages of their lives. But what we love about their relationship is, it is a continuum. So to try and put anything to bed or to rest seems false in the sense that, like in life, those things don’t just get put to bed. So why should that happen in their relationship?

TVLINE | Are we going to be seeing Eyal again this season?
CORMAN | No.

TVLINE | How is that dynamic with Calder and Sydney going to change this season, now that she’s an asset?
CORMAN | That’s actually a pretty prominent story for him, and she’s terrific. She’ll be in a few [episodes].
ORD | Yeah, it’s one of those things where they had a connection in the summer season, but… she becomes operational and, as always happens in the spy game, as soon as people start working together, their relationships become much more complicated and interesting.

1. tyranthraxus says:

I kinda wish they would do more with Eyal. A few seasons back (or was it last? Its hard to tell with this show) they had him on for a run of episodes.. and they were pretty great episodes.

His wife left him for a reason the first time, he also mentioned that he had left Mossad and that didnt last either. Its a shame this show never grabbed Eyal as a regular character but perhaps part of his appeal is the fact he isnt a regular.

2. Ames says:

TVLINE | Are we going to be seeing Eyal again this season?
    CORMAN | No.
    Well, this is disappointing. :(

3. Mark says:

Could they have announced any louder that Sydney/Stephanie is going to be dead by the end of the season. They set it up so well in the episode tonight it’s the only way her character can go.

4. LEP says:

One of my favorite shows. Just love Annie – reminds me of Sydney/Jennifer Garner and Alias. Strong, smart woman.

Got cracked up at the end when Annie is talking to Ryan. Seems like TV shows usually play post-surgical, reunion moments with big kisses/dramatic moments, but if you’ve ever woken up from surgery it is a struggle to stay awake. Ryan falling back asleep is how it really is, and for some reason that made me smile.

5. R says:

Sorry but I don’t like Annie and Ryan. I just don’t feel it between them. I’m always going to love Eyal so it breaks my heart a bit that we won’t see him again this season.

6. Andrea says:

I love Annie and Ryan so I’m interested to see what they end up doing with them. Not so sure about Sydney though, I think her future might be short lived.

7. okcarby says:

Annie and Eyal together when this series winds down. He is the one constant relationship for her. It’s a long road to get there but it is Kismet!

8. CBWBDK1 says:

Give Eyal his own show!!

9. Laye says:

Next–Eyal spinoff!!

10. M3rc Nate says:

I know some would be against it cause “why cant you just keep him how he is?!” and “we love that theres a blind character on TV, its unique and hes representing the blind!” but i cant help but feel i wish a episode would come that he goes back to the doctor (totally possible btw, his blindness seems to be something that could possibly be treated, compared to say being born blind or blindness for some genetic reason) and the doctor tell him theres a new experimental surgery/treatment (or w/e, nothing sci-fi, very realistic) and he gets his vision back.

Why do i want that? Cause what a game changer that would be…if you dont do that and finish this show with him still blind, you miss out on huge moments like him seeing Annie (and Joan) for the first time, him getting back in the field and basically becoming partners with Annie in the field, him being a badass using that Ranger training as a CIA agent and more. They could bring in a new awesome character (female maybe?) that takes over his old tech job and her add something to the show (like how they brought in Jaimie Alexander, and Amy Jo Johnson’s character was awesome lately…so they obviously know how to cast and create cool great new characters). I just think there is WAAAAY too much story and possibilities and moments to pass up not going that route. And a show this repetitive (basically a small handful of characters with one over-arcing CIA/Spy related plot a season) in its 5th season going to be going into its 6th? Having him get his vision back could be a huge boost getting them a whole-nother season.

11. Christina says:

Am I the only one that thought Eyal was lying to her, and was just trying to let her go?

• Kathryn says:

I thought the same thing, Christina! There seemed to be some wistfulness in his eyes…as if he has strong feelings for her that he wants to express, but he also wants her to be happy and he thought this was the kindest thing he could do for her. At least that what I’m hoping!

I second everyone else… I really wish Eyal was around more often…more of a regular character…and I’m so sad that he’s not going to be back. I would love for him and Annie to be the endgame. Auggie and Annie are wonderful friends…best friends…but I think they would both be better off with other partners.

12. CatInTheHat says:

Everything in this article was going so well until they were asked if we would see Eyal again this season…..sigh….soooo disappointed.

13. gizmolebrat says:

Great episode. Who was the initial target in Chicago…………..it appears it was Andy, now Tony is gone. Who was the target of the motorcade. I think Auggie is either the target or is behind it………..I keep going back to the Khalid telling Annie……………….You don’t know……………….It has to be someone that Annie knows. I think Belenko is targeting Auggie’s squad, that ties into the tremor. As to McQuaid, I think we will find out his father was Henry Wilcox. Joan and Belenko were once an item. Is she a double agent???

14. Nesha says:

Eyal telling Annie that he reunited with his ex-wife is like The Doctor telling Clara he found Gallifrey…

15. Attah Buhari says:

I appreciate this movie, it has broading my thought and interest over the activities of CIA, I found it quite educative