Arrow Stars Preview Malcolm's Surprise for Oliver, 'Time Bomb' Nyssa, Murder Mystery, Ra's al Ghul's 'Cool' Debut

Arrow Season 3 Spoilers

This Wednesday on Arrow (The CW, 8/7c), Oliver Queen is getting not one but two unexpected and unwelcome blasts from the past, who both have the power to destroy the hero.

RELATED Scoop on Castle, White Collar, Once, Haven, Supernatural, Arrow, Beast and More

For starters, Nyssa al Ghul (played by Katrina Law) arrives in Starling City in the wake of Sara’s death seeking answers, and the tension between her and Oliver escalates as they try to figure out how to avenge the masked Canary.

“There’s an opportunity for them to work in concert, but Oliver’s methods and Nyssa’s methods don’t match up,” Stephen Amell previewed during a recent set visit. “She’s the, ‘Shoot them all, figure it out afterwards [type],’ and Oliver’s like, ‘I used to be that way! I’m not anymore.’ So that creates the conflict for them.

“Oliver feels very much as though it’s his responsibility to bring whoever did this to justice,” Amell adds. “And I will say that of all of the convoluted, devious plans that we’ve ever had on the show, the ‘Who killed Canary?’ device is right at the top.”

The mystery will also bring fresh troubles. Nyssa can be volatile, not to mention violent, so she “leaves [Episode] 4 as a ticking time bomb, and Oliver leaves with a whole host of new enemies,” Amell teases.

Could one of those fresh foes be Nyssa’s father aka League of Assassins leader Ra’s al Ghul (to be played by Aussie actor Matt Nable)? Amell hints that the infamous villain will make his entrance soon – and in quite a memorable way.

“If you’re a fan of comics, you’re really going to enjoy the reveal of Ra’s al Ghul — like, the first frames of seeing him,” he says. “That’s going to be pretty cool and create a lot of chatter.”

Arrow Season 3 SpoilersMeanwhile, one of Oliver’s former (meaning: presumed dead!) enemies, Malcolm Merlyn, is back in Starling City this week, setting the stage for an epic face-to-face between the two.

“We had 200 extras there,” Amell says of the showdown. “It is a costume-less, weapon-less, fisticuffs-less exchange. Concurrently, it’s probably the most charged exchange that we’ve had in the show.”

For his part, John Barrowman feels like Malcolm “has always loved Ollie like a son,” a notion he “kind of tried to plant with these little nuances. So this time when we do meet, Malcolm has something to say to him, and it’s not about fighting. It’s very interesting what he has to say and how he says it. I think it’s also a bit of a surprise for Oliver.”

But perhaps Malcolm should be more worried about Ra’s al Ghul’s impending arrival than his relationship with Oliver. After all, he has his own troubled history with the League of Assassins leader.

“He’s concerned about Ra’s being here, but he’s not stupid,” Barrowman insists. “He will try to figure a way to protect himself and, hopefully, those around him.”

1. Joey Padron says:

Good preview about new episode. Can’t wait to see it tomorrow night!

2. Dean says:

I think Nyssa killed Sara under Ra’s orders. Possibly cuz he needs Oliver on his side for some plan.

3. Luis says:

Unless we first see Ra’s rising out of the Lazarus PIt, I ain’t going to be satisfied!

4. aura says:

I hope its Laurel that avenges her sisters death. She should be the one to, not Oliver.

• jeremy says:

exactly! loving laurel this season!

• Harvey says:

Really? I think she should save Arrow or do figure something out, not fight anyone off. I mean, everyone’s learning how to fight, Thea has too. Felicity is left, hopefully she will be left forever.

5. Lucas says:

Not excited about this episode, not gonna lie. Really not interested in watching them likely make Nyssa be the next one to prop up the Whiny Canary so she can get her mask as fast as possible. I could get into a good mystery story if it’s told well, but so far it’s not compelling. I also think them not telling Quentin about Sara’s death is silly. I will be interested in the furthering of Malcolm and Thea’s story and more Thea/Oliver and Thea/Roy interaction.

• Briggs says:

I’m guessing you’re referring to the pic of Laurel standing behind Nyssa at Sara’s grave. Seeing as Nyssa is supposed to leave Starling a ‘time bomb’, I doubt she’s being used to ‘prop up’ anyone. In fact, it sounds like she’s going to be a problem. A far cry from your accusation.

6. herman1959 says:

I’m a Flash viewer who started watching Arrow last week, just for John Barrowman (who I loved from Torchwood), and I have a question. The young guy who wears the red archer suit (Roy?) – does he or will he have his own superhero name from the comics?

7. A says:

TVLine you are the best! Thank you for the constant Arrow scoop! I truly appreciate it!

8. Jess says:

For the first time, I’m actually hoping for flashbacks on this show. I really want to know more about Sara’s time with the League.

9. Kae says:

‘Shoot them all, figure it out afterwards” that is the arrow i miss.

10. Briggs says:

If anyone has a more messed up family than Oliver… well, Game of Thrones, but other than that…
    I have been *aching* for more Nyssa. I have been wanting to see more Katrina Law, and I couldn’t be more excited.

11. lizo says:

woot! excited!! For me this season is all about watching Laurel and Thea grow into the badass heroes they are meant to be

12. Maryann says:

I am wondering if the plot anytime this season will revisit the fact that Oliver has an illegitimate child he doesn’t know about.

13. mac says: