Ratings: Constantine Does Sub-Dracula Numbers, Blue Bloods Hits Highs

Blue Bloods Ratings

NBC’s Grimm on Friday night returned to 5.3 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating opposite the World Series Game 3, down sharply from its year-ago opener (6.2 mil/1.8 vs. Simpsons reruns) but up from its May finale (5.3 mil/1.3).

Constantine‘s premiere retained 4.3 mil/1.4, well shy of Dracula‘s year-ago launch (5.3 mil/1.8) but up from what Hannibal last did in the time slot (2.4 mil/0.8). TVLine readers gave the pilot an average grade of “B.”

Elsewhere….

CBS | The Amazing Race (5.6 mil/1.0) fell 15 and 29 percent, while Hawaii Five-0 (8.8 mil/1.1) dipped 4 percent and a tenth. Blue Bloods however ticked up 5 percent and a tenth to season highs of 11.2 mil — currently outdrawing the World Series’ prelim audience — and 1.3.

ABC | Last Man Standing (6.3 mil/1.1) slipped 7 and 15 percent, Cristela (5.2 mil/1.0) was down 13 and 16 percent, and Shark Tank (6.9 mil/1.8) ticked down 5 percent and a tenth.

THE CW | Top Model (1.08 mil/0.3) was flat.

FOX | Based on fast nationals subject to increase, World Series coverage currently stands at 10 mil/2.5.

1. DL says:

I really enjoyed Constantine. Being that it still won its timeslot in the demo quite handily, I hope that if its numbers hold it’ll be a keeper for NBC.

2. Gilded Lady says:

Not sure how I feel about Constantine, given that we never see Lucy Griffiths again, but we’ll see. I’ll at least give it another chance.

Given the ratings started sub-Dracula, if they start dipping I’m not going to get too terribly attached.

• jag says:

Im getting the vibe that Constantine will be axed. Im still giving it another episode. It was just not compeling enough for me. The visual of the possessed lady on the erlier part of the pilot dangling on air was so below even compared to Supernatural. Quality wise it was not visualy superb. Dracula made far on that department. I just feel its cheap. The angel stoodout. Even the lead was not balancing tne mood. maybe its just me expecting it to be dark and brooding visualy. Expect it to do much better because of the following. But then again numbers dont lie.

• Gilded Lady says:

If if stays stable, it may make it. It’s definitely cheaper than Dracula (which was so lush) which could help. Key is whether it stabilizes at an acceptable level, which is iffy.

• Moment says:

I doubt it’s cheaper than Dracula. Also NBC doesn’t own Constantine, it’s a WB series, and if the ratings drop a little lower, it will be canceled.

• Gilded Lady says:

Good point. Even if it was NBC i still wouldn’t get attached. Grimm is an outlier in NBC genre success

• Moment says:

I agree, but I think if it was owned by NBC it would give it a bit more leeway with regards to its numbers. Certainly they’ve nurtured Grimm into the success it is today.

• Ray says:

Doubt all you want–the proof is in the pudding. Constantine looks and feels cheap. Dracula had much better production values because two companies were funding the project.

• Moment says:

Having multiple companies involved a shows production doesn’t automatically mean it’ll be more expensive. Infact Constantine, the show you said is cheap has 3, while Dracula has 2 :)

• Anonymous says:

The girl. it showed her at the end when they were showing scenes from upcoming episodes in the season

• Temperance says:

She was absolutely awful in the original ‘laked’ cut of the pilot, so no, you should be happy that she’s not a regular going forward.

3. Jesse says:

Wow, 1.1 for H5o is that accurate ? That’s really poor. Blue Bloods had a brilliant episode this week, the only other network show which I truly enjoyed this week is Person of Interest, the more critically acclaimed shows were just poor the entire week.

4. Moment says:

Sigh, I blame the World Series for that TAR drop, and Hawaii Five 0 fans should too for their show dropping too. Neither had a good night. Anyway its too early to celebrate Constantine, both Crossbones and Dracula had good debuts and dropped sharply. Its how it does for the rest of the season that matters. I watched the show last night and hope it lasts but this slot is dire for NBC.

5. ChicagoDan says:

Not surprised about BB uptick – NBC was strong with Dateline at 10 – seems like all the NBC 10 p.m. scripted show correspond with a BB increase. However, when NBC airs Dateline at 10, BB falls. Poor TAR, CBS really did the show a huge disservice.

6. Kay says:

“Blue Bloods Hits Highs” …….. and comes in third and last in its hour, behind ABC’s 20/20 and NBC’s Constantine. :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yet when it comes to renewal decisions, BB isn’t competing against other networks’ shows.

• Kay says:

It sure is not. But the 10 pm hour ratings for ALL networks give a more complete picture.

• Moment says:

Blue Bloods is still the lowest rated scripted series on CBS, it won’t be around for that much longer. Infact either Hawaii Five-O or Blue Bloods could be canceled this season, neither are performing that great, even by Friday standards.

• Badpenny says:

And had more viewers then 20/20 and Constantine combined. :)

7. 😃 says:

Cristela is so funny, I haven’t laughed so much in a long time. Come on people watch

• TV Gord says:

I don’t dislike it, but funny? It didn’t make me laugh once, but the characters are likable. It’s about as good as an average ABC Family sitcom. I’ll watch it as long as its on, hoping for laughs.

• ABC exec says:

Ok you guys. Tvgord, veteran Internet know it all doesn’t think Cristela is funny so that means no one else does either. We have to kick it up a notch so Gordo(typo and it stays) will give us the ok and then other people can have that opinion as well.

• TV Gord says:

Where did I say my opinion means no one else thinks it’s funny? Nice conclusion jumping. I assumed that I was allowed to offer my opinion, just as everyone else here is. Sorry that it hit one of your more sensitive nerves. (By the way, Gordo is not a typo. Plenty of people call me that.)

As I wrote earlier (which you may have missed since my opinion seems to have overwhelmed you) is that I plan to keep watching, because I hope to see it improve. Meanwhile, if you have an example of when this week’s episode made you actually laugh aloud, please tell me. I’ll go back and watch it with a fresh eye.

Unlike most of the people who natter and whine on the message boards, I am someone who likes to give new shows a fair chance. I love television and I always root for good shows to succeed. Cristela has all of the ingredients for a good show. I’m just waiting for that to happen. As always, I travel hopefully…

8. Ray says:

Serves NBC right for replacing a quality supernatural drama like Dracula with a very mediocre one like Constantine. NBC is responsible for its own ratings failure by constantly pre-empting Dracula last year and scheduling very long gaps between new airings.

• DL says:

Personally, I didn’t care for Dracula at all, while I enjoyed Constantine quite a bit. Just my opinion, however.

• tp says:

I loved Dracula. I wish it had gotten better ratings…and the JRM wasn’t an addict and needed a sober companion to make sure he didn’t mess up filming. Sigh…he plays a good smooth talking creepy guy.

9. ... says:

Cristela is running at about what The Neighbors was doing last season. And yet it’s gotten zero criticism from anybody in the TV media. Interesting.

10. Sarah says:

When are Jamie and Eddie (Blue Bloods) gonna hook-up? It’s been crickets since the kiss last season. This season we saw Jamie’s feelings when he was beating on the guy in the park. Last week we saw Eddie get jealous when Jamie was talking to the doctor. Last night’s episode with the whole Jamie marked for death/Eddie kidnapping.. I’m waiting

• Jesse says:

Just let them be, besides if they become a couple we will see less of Eddie because partners can’t be in a relationship and Blue Bloods doesn’t dwell much on the love interests/spouses of their characters.

11. I’m not surprised at where Constantine has started. Dracula has a lot more name-recognition to fans outside the genre. I bet there will be little to no dip next week. The pilot was solid and and showed the series has a lot of promise.

12. MarkC says:

Next day Ratings numbers r so 2001 n r growing more and more inaccurate in regards to the popularity of a show. So many people watch off DVR, on demand or on their phones/tablets. Some binge watch off DVR/netflix/hulu at seasons end.

13. Hipper says:

Any thoughts of ‘The Amazing Race’ renewal odds given these Friday numbers? Or will it be moved again seeing how CBS is short ordering CSI.

• Moment says:

If you hear nothing by the end of November, it’s dead. The race always begins by late November for its Spring cycle. So if you hear absolutely nothing come December 1, I would worry. I would ask questions even.

• Hipper says:

it’s actually renewed already for the spring cycle, i was talking more about next season. or will it be one of those things were awards caliber outweighs ratings?

• Moment says:

I don’t think anyone could honestly tell you what will happen after next season. I know the show is renewed for 2 cycles at a time by CBS, this of course included Seasons 25 and 26 but given how the numbers are I would hate to give people false hope.

14. I found it dull. And LG isnt back, so meh. Loved Dracula and was sad to see it axed.

15. MTB says:

I liked Constantine too. But what about Liv? IMDB shows that she is only in 1 episode. What is with that? Seems to me that see is a major character.

16. Ugh, Blue Bloods hit a high? That episode was awful!

17. Jake says:

Seems like nbc could be more competive if they moved Grimm and Constantine to thursdays

18. thebigloc says:

I did not like constantine, watched it online and I was disappointed. It pales well in comparison to Dracula it is replacing.
    I know a lot of upset Dracula fans are boycotting Constantine.
    NBC are advertising this show, they want it to do well and I think as weeks go on the ratings will fall but NBC will hold onto Constantine as they hate to be proved wrong which is the show would not perform as well as Dracula.
    Dracula was barely advertised, treated appallingly by NBC, not many interviews about it.
    Then bad rumours about JRM were leaked wonder who by. They basically comissioned Dracula no idea why as it seems from day one they did nothing to help it, seems if not from the start soon after they knew they would pull it off the air.
    It took just shy of a year for region1 dvd of Dracula to be released, no release of the soundtrack. Calendars were advertised official nbc dracula ones on amazon uk but as release date july 25th for them came amazon sent out emails that suppliers not supplied calendars and no date yet as to when they will. It is the end of October, no calendars yet.
    It even made rte news now channel in Ireland when Dracula was cancelled.
    Even without advertising it much (barely if any) Dracula for pilot still pulled more viewers than well advertised Constantine.
    Dracula fans were upset to find inside their region 1dvd cover an advert for Constantine and an ad on the dvd about it. It was rubbing salt in the wounds of Dracula fans.
    Dracula was a unique gem ahead of its time NBC put on but did not care much about which can be seen as it was advertised properly, put in a bad time slot. If it had been put on a good time it would have been a huge success.
    There are petitions for save dracula social network groups for trying to save dracula and these fans will not give up until some network picks up Dracula.
    Constantine will not have dedicated Dracula fans watching it as it is seen as a replacement by NBC of Dracula and one treated better.
    NBC had a gem in Dracula a huge winner and what did they do to make it shine, known to the public sweet little all and shoved it in a death slot.
    Each day I hear and see comments online about people finding dracula for the first time and loving it.
    Dracula fans will not give up the fight for it until some network takes it on and creates more seasons of it with the same actors, writer etc

19. Jen says:

Haven’t watched this yet, honestly haven’t heard a thing about it. But I beg the network please bring Dracula back! That was a good show! Glad to hear Blue Bloods is doing well. I watch that but would watch Dracula before it however

• Moment says:

Who told you Blue Bloods was doing well? It’s not. It’s the lowest rated series on CBS, pretty much neck and neck with Hawaii Five-O in the poor performing scripted show stakes.

20. Laura says:

How could any tv exec think that Constantine would do better than Dracula, which is a far better show, it’s beyond me. Dracula has better writing, better production values, better acting, better everything. This new show IMO won’t manage to keep half the ratings it made in its debut, I expect a .8 in demo key (average) by the end of the season, more or less the same as Hannibal.

• Moment says:

Dracula dropped as low as a .7 during its first season. I don’t think Constantine will go that low.

• Laura says:

Dracula dropped as low as .7 after the break in December, I remember I lost 2 episodes and had to chatch up online because I didn’t even know it has returned. The whole season had 1.05, and 3.3 million viewers, wich was also the live wiewership of the season finale.
        I think that Constantine will hit a low beyond Dracula if NBC does the same, putting the show in hiatus without advertisement when it returns. And I am certain that, anyway, when season is over its ratings will be beyond Dracula.
        I don’t know the budget of the two shows, though… but if producing Constantine costs more than half of producing Dracula, they shouldn’t have bothered, it’s a waste of money.

21. Renee says:

I’ve watched 3 episodes of Constantine, trying to give it a chance, but really? This is what they cancelled Dracula for? Bad choice. The story line is vague, the acting is terrible and the characters are neither endearing nor relatable. Very disappointed. Was a huge Dracula fan, after giving it the same chance of 3 episodes, as the pilot did not “grab” me, but got caught up in the characters and the story in the subsequent episodes. Constantine is subpar as a replacement. Will not continue to follow.