Ratings: World Series and S.H.I.E.L.D. Hit Lows, Selfie and NCIS: NO Rise

Selfie Ratings

ABC’s Selfie was looking good (all things being relative) this Tuesday, rising 12 percent and a tenth to draw 3.8 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating (per finals) opposite the World Series.

Manhattan Love Story, however, felt little love, sliding 7 and 22 percent to 2.7 mil/0.7.

Agents of SHIELD (4.4 mil/1.6) slipped 6 percent and a tenth, hitting an all-time demo low (yet earning an “A” grade from TVLine readers), while Forever (5 mil/1.2) ticked up a tenth.

Elsewhere, opposite professional baseball’s “autumnal classic”….

CBS | NCIS (17.1 mil/2.4) dropped a handful of eyeballs and a tenth in the demo, while NCIS: New Orleans (16.1 mil/2.4) rose two tenths to a best-since-premiere demo rating. Person of Interest (9.4 mil/1.5) shed some viewers but held onto last week’s demo low.

THE CW | The Flash (3.6 mil/1.5) slipped 16 and 12 percent, while Supernatural (2.1 mil/0.9) dipped a tenth.

NBC | The Voice (12 mil/3.3) ticked down a tenth, Marry Me (5.6 mil/1.8) and About a Boy (4.6 mil/1.4) respectively dropped 22 and 18 from their premieres, yet Chicago Fire (7.5 mil/1.9) was steady.

FOX | Coverage of the World Series opener drew 12.2 million total viewers — aka the least-watched Game 1 in modern history — and a 3.4 rating, down 15 and 19 percent year-over-year.

1. zac says:

Hoping that Forever’s rise continue.
    Don’t know the reason for SHIELD’s downward spiral. It’s getting better every episode. Maybe because of the World Series?

2. origo says:

wow world series slaughtered most tuesday’s shows ratings

• herman1959 says:

Yup, and it makes sense that more Flash viewers (younger and more male) would have made the switch than Selfie or Forever viewers.

3. justtobesane says:

Sad about SHIELD, last night’s episode was incredible!

4. wrstlgirl says:

Wow The Flash, is that normal or are people not liking it so much? I haven’t been paying much attention to the ratings world lately.

• Katie T says:

I think The Flash may have lost some viewers this week because of the world series. I think the Live+3’s would say more for it this week than the overnight’s to see if more people were catching up. It’ll be next week’s numbers that would say more at what it was now doing over night than this week

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I completely forgot about baseball. Honestly I didn’t think it started until Thursday :-) Big fan here, LOL!!

• Katie T says:

Lol. I’m in the UK so first I’d heard about baseball was from here. Same thing happens here though with football matches. Male skewing programmes always lose viewers to them

5. Kai says:

I don’t know much about the rating system but how worried do I need to be about SHIELD?? I doesn’t look good but I suppose there is a huge rise in DVR viewership and the deal with Marvel is probably lucrative. So, is SHIELD in any real danger of cancellation?

• MCO says:

Too soon to tell. For sophomore,and beyond shows that are in the bubble like Shield, we usually needs the numbers of midseason shows to try and guess which one will be renewed and which one will be cancelled.

• Realistically, Disney owns Marvel. Disney owns ABC. I imagine ratings would have a lot influence on it continuing then a regular show. It is going to be more “How does this show fit into our cinematic universe. Can we use it to introduce characters (IE Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird) so that we don’t have to spend as much film time on them.”

• Znachki says:

The fact that it’s an “in house” production (Robert Fertig noted – ABC-Marvel-Disney), works in its favor. All other things being equal, a network will keep something they made, as they get the back-end and auxiliary benefits they wouldn’t if it as made by another production company.

• herman1959 says:

Agreed. It’s easier and less expensive to hang on and try to make it work than to shelve it and make something else or buy something to replace it. ABC will wait awhile.

6. Christina says:

What the hell, why is no one watching SHIELD?? I know it grows significantly with DVR numbers factored in, but c’mon now.

7. JeffDJ says:

Yeah, I hope SHIELD’s drop was baseball-related, because it sure can’t be because of the show itself, which is better than ever. Glad to see the rise of FOREVER, my new fave show this fall.

8. Babybop says:

Happy about Selfie (I actually think it’s pretty cute) but sad for About a Boy. Baseball tends to lower things though, I have faith ratings will improve later on.

• Znachki says:

Much to my surprise, I’m actually enjoying Selfie. So I’m glad to see the bump. John Cho and Karen Gillian have been great, and David Tennant only wishes he could do an accent as well as she does

9. murley says:

Shield is so good this season. I really hope the ratings improve. It has hit it’s stride, the stakes are higher and it has much more of a Whedonesque feel this year. I hope people who gave up return or it finds new viewers or a least hangs on to everyone it has! I want this show to come back for season 3!

10. AK says:

Glad for any good news about the ratings for Selfie and Forever!

11. Brigid says:

I don’t understand the declining ratings for SHIELD. This show is fantastic and gets better every week. Please keep this show on the air, it’s become one of my favorites. Everyone should watch it!!!

• Eric7740 says:

SHIELD shot itself in the foot last season. It should not have waited till the end of the season, to get interesting. If the writer’s knew they were waiting for Captain America: Winters Soldier, to pick up its momentum, they should’ve have waited and premiered the show this season as opposed to last season. Granted thats just my opinion.

• puredieselbc says:

“SHIELD shot itself in the foot last season. It should not have waited till the end of the season, to get interesting.” This is the answer.

12. Coal says:

SHIELD could have done so well on CBS in place of Scorpion. That being said how brilliant was Person of Interest last night ?

13. Derek117 says:

I’m not surprised about SHIELD’s ratings. This show still hasn’t found its heart. There’s also no strong character or Star “draw”–though the addition of Mockingbird (Adrienne Paliciki) may help in the sex appeal department. May be too late, though.

14. C. says:

Happy for Selfie, it’s really cute and funny (particularly last night, I laughed so hard when I heard that kid cry…)

15. dan the critic says:

Marvel is great, people wake up and start watching. (Same thing goes for Gracepoint).

16. ek says:

Manhattan love story is my guilty pleasure this season. I hate getting invested in something that likely won’t get picked up but it’s so cute!

• Paula says:

I feel the same about MLS… it’s really cute and Analeigh Tipton’s voice is perfect for voice overs. I hope it gets one season.

• keylimepie78 says:

agree with both of you. this show has gotten better with every episode!

• danny says:

Same here. I wonder if the title scares people off. It’s a fun show about family and friends, not just the romance, which in itself is quite fun. I wish more people were tuning in.

• Asta says:

I think it is so cute also. I love the guy, and I so so so want to love the female lead. Seems just so monotone and beige. Very cute though. Or maybe that is what he sees in her since he is such a dynamo for both of them.

17. Tran says:

I’m rooting for the SF Giants (even though I live in the Bay Area) but I really don’t like the Kansas City Royals a lot.

18. Cideric Rhyes says:

So how much did Matt get paid not to say that The Flash hit a series low?

19. Eva says:

How is it possible, that the better SHIELD episodes are, the worse ratings they get? That was also true in season one, the few good eps performed the worst. Is there a curse or something? Is DC behind it?

20. Sad everyone is obsessed with shield (which i like and admit is actually good this year) but ignores Person of Interest which is the most underrated show on television (didn’t say best, said underrated).

21. suzyku says:

I hope they don’t cancel Shield! It’s consistently gotten better and more interesting.

22. MarkC says:

The majority of the folks who watch the Tues slate were watching the world series. I DVR everything n only watched Sons after the game was over. Check back after live +3. Also sheild is much better this year than the sat morning cartoon type episodes they had majority of last year

23. Viewer says:

Agents of Shield is very good so is Forever and Selfie. Hope they all last.

24. Sarah T. says:

Not a surprise the The Flash and Person of Interest lost some viewers to the World Series. I really wish people would give Selfie a chance. The leads have great chemistry and it’s funny. I laugh more watching it than I do TBBT. Also hope that About a Boy levels out. Love that show too.

25. Drewer says:

I just want to know if Adrianne Palicki was ever on screen on NBC and ABC at the same time last night. I mean how often does an actor simultaneously appear on two broadcast shows at the same time?

26. HAP says:

Glad to see Selfie holding its own. I would watch Karen Gillan read the phone book for 1/2 hour. She’s amazing.

27. Lizo says:

Oh no! Shield has been awesome this season and I love Forever. I hope they survive another season!! And I’m glad for the rise for Selfie – it’s delightful.

28. Diego says:

Shield is so awesome this season! I hope it doesnt get cancelled.

29. shields is terrible, stiff acting ( the kick men ass assiatic agent) and corny and sentimental plot plus anti hacktivism agenda, and almost nothing to do with the movieverse