The Flash Recap: The 'Chosen' One

Flash Recap Wells Targeted Barry

This week on The CW’s The Flash, the latest adversary was a real gas, flashbacks revealed how Caitlin’s fiance was felled on a stormy night, The Old Flash “met” the new one and we learned a shocking truth about how Barry landed on the fast track.

Whereas last week I took issue with the kiddie-centric flashbacks, this time around I couldn’t get enough of the particle accelerator backstory. In fact, it almost had me wishing the series had picked up with events a day or two prior, though I suspect the sum total of flashbacks still to come — Cisco for one has more to tell, about Ronnie Raymond’s sacrifice — will add up to as much.

‎As Barry battled with the best Villain of the Week thus far — a death row inmate who can transform into toxic gas, but was also properly colorful/intimidating in human form — we learned how on the night of the particle accelerator launch, Caitlin’s fiance/S.T.A.R. Labs engineer Ronnie ventured inside the belly of the malfunctioning beast to ensure that its blast would travel upward and not laterally. But in making that fix, Ronnie all but committed himself to death, while all Cisco could do was watch beyond the door of the sealed chamber.

‎These flashbacks brought to light what a solid cast The Flash has put together, as Danielle Panabaker delivered such depth of emotion to Caitlin’s despair, saying: “I didn’t want him to be a hero; I wanted him to be my husband.” Similarly, Carlos Valdes showed us that as much as he can be the giddy, villain-naming fanboy, he also can register somber loss.

Knowing what we know about Ronnie’s actual fate, coupled with the fact that Victor Garber doesn’t arrive until midseason, there is much more to be told here. Is that where Cisco was heading, before Caitlin cut him off? Did he witness more of Ronnie’s tragic experience?

And then there’s Jesse L. Martin, so moving when Joe paid an overdue visit to Barry’s incarcerated father, to acknowledge that he had been wrong, and for so long. But what’s important, Henry Allen noted, is that Joe always believed in Barry.

Speaking of Henry (played by TV’s original Flash, John Wesley Shipp), how fun to see him lay eyes on the “red streak” there in the visitation area. Loved how Barry vibrated his face to conceal his identity from Dad. (Henry’s anecdote about Barry’s first steps as a baby was a bit on the nose, however.)

Elsewhere in the hour, Iris came clean to her father about her romance with and Detective “Pretty Boy” Eddie Thawne, only to be reminded of just how good Joe’s detective skills are. Now, is it me or did Eddie seem easily irked in that one scene, where it appeared Iris was gonna give him the hook? Way to zoom to conclusions!

Of course, the night’s biggest reveal came with bonus tag, as Dr. Harrison Wells — whilst admiring Barry’s stowed supersuit — flashed back to the particle accelerator’s malfunction, and how he watched, via his secret room, surveillance camera footage of Barry getting zapped at home. “The bolt of lightning chose you,” indeed.

NOTABLE QUOTABLES AND OTHER FLASH-Y FUN
* The apparently time-travelling Wells saying, “I feel like I’ve waited for this day for centuries.”
* The movie theater marquee’s nods to Blue Devil and Rita Farr (aka Elasti-Girl)
* Caitlin (who is fated to be Killer Frost) saying of fiance Ronnie (who is fated to be Firestorm): “He used to say we were like fire and ice.”
* “Which one is the north wing?” “The one with the Big Belly Burger…. I eat.”
* “The Mist!”

What are your thoughts on The Flash to date? And anyone wanna join me in making Gotham comparisons?

1. Skittles&Bits says:

“I’ve waited for this day for centuries.” If that isn’t the biggest tip-off ever, I don’t know what is. I really don’t. Although this comment seems to suggests this H. (G) Wells is from the past and not the future if he’s waited centuries. That doesn’t explain his mystical future-seeing crystal ball however. Wells *knew* the particle accelerator wouldn’t work. He destroyed lives and for what? To make sure Barry gets his powers? Part of me thinks its something more than that. Strange as it may sound, I don’t think he’s here to hurt Barry but he definitely needs the Flash to play some role in his diabolical master plan; so basically he’s raising Barry/Flash into a weapon he can use later? Ooh this is getting good!

• Maybe Wells wants the world to have superpowers and have Barry act as a safeguard against the rogues while Wells safeguards against normals that would exploit metas.

• Tony says:

He fits the comic version of Eobard Thawne aka Professor Zoom the reverse Flash…Time traveller who had a hand in creating the flash and takes delight in shaping events to benefit himself. Eddie might just be a predecessor who becomes a Reverse Flash of sorts…I hope it’s the Black Flash! Bring on their version of death!

2. whyohwhy says:

Jesse L. Martin is one of the reasons I wanted to watch this show. He is always so good!

3. Flick says:

Wait, Caitlin is going to become.. evil then??

• *Spoiler* Yes, and what is even more tragic is that she becomes the arch enemy of one *spoiler* Ronnie Raymond. *Spoiler*

• reboot2099 says:

In the comics, yes, but the producers said that she and Cisco (who in the comics is a super-hero too) won’t necessarily evolve the same way they do in the comics. Like a lot of Arrow’s characters are named after comics characters, but they are not them, like Felicity Smoak (or however you spell that :) )

4. Briggs says:

Oh, tonight was *so* good. Sorry I got back too late after commercials to see Joe talk to Henry, but the recap helps me imagine it, easily. And, as much as I love Grant Gustin and how well he carries a show, Cisco continues to be my favorite member of Team Flash. He’s adorable, and the way he reacted in and out of the flashbacks to the disaster that was the particle accelerator broke my heart, especially when hew as with Caitlin. Is it my imagination, or does he have a thing for her? Maybe Caitlin is his Iris, and Ronnie knew it? Interesting idea.

5. I really enjoyed how much they developed the supporting cast, especially accurately lonely Caitlin, and Barry’s journey.

6. Seth says:

What about the “its not like i want a museum named after me” line?! Classic!

• reboot2099 says:

Yeah, I was about to say that (and most other lines that already are in the review). I like those little things. Too bad I only have a passing knowledge of Flash comics, as I read them when I was younger, but not that much.

• JC1 says:

Ha, yeah, I caught that too. :)

7. reboot2099 says:

The episode was good and I really like the fact that they aren’t holding back. There are mysteries but they will reveal most of them fairly soon! It’s a nice change of pace from the mystery series that aren’t revealed until years later.

A couple gripes about this episode though. I found the villain as forgettable and 1 dimensional as others before him. And with all the geniuses Flash has as an ally, they couldn’t figure out he might need a gas mask? Heck, he even had one as part of his costume in the first episode!

As for Henry’s line about Barry running, I figured he guessed Flash was his son and that was his way of saying he is proud of him. If not, that IS really too on the nose.

And whether or not he knew who the Flash is, why didn’t he freak out when he saw him? Sure, he was red and not yellow, but didn’t he see the similarities with the guy that killed his wife? I would have at least had a few questions about it!

• JC1 says:

I too had the feeling that the story meant that he had recognized Barry, because there was a second there before Barry thought to blur his face. It might have been enough for a father to recognize his son.

• So Happy says:

I was thinking Henry must have figured out that the guy who came out of nowhere to give Joe a shot to save him, was Barry. If he didn’t guess, I find it odd his NOT mentioning the crazy thing he just witnessed to Barry when he came to visit him.

8. iamsylar says:

invest in a gas mask people

9. Sheldon W. says:

For all the development going on with the show’s terrific ensemble of characters, it seems like we’re never going to get a properly developed villain – which is something the comic almost always did well.

That said, The Mist was rather brilliantly executed (sorry… no, not really) FX-wise.

• tsg says:

I think it’s ok for the villains to be more ‘disposable’ early on while we get to know the characters and the world of the show. It’s only 3 episodes – there’s plenty of time for larger arcs and more complex villains.

• Cheyenne says:

I think we’re going to start seeing the more developed villains next week when they bring in Captain Cold. He’s going to be more than just a one off and they brought in Wentworth Miller to do the job so it should be good.

10. DT says:

Gotham comparison?!…sure. They are both comic book based tv shows lol. That is about the best I can do because this show has been a million times better than Gotham so far. I was looking forward to Gotham alot more too but that show just hasn’t delivered for me the way The Flash has. I’ve found the acting to be far superior to date with the characters being portrayed more genuinely, while the story telling has been at a much better pace and has developed in such a way to keep things interesting every week. If these shows swapped networks, I believe they’d swap ratings numbers as well…they maybe skewed even further.

11. Mr. Sunshine says:

Can’t say when’s the last time I’ve enjoyed a show so much in the beginning. The cast is terrific and has such great chemistry together. I wish somehow they could get Jesse L. Martin to sing. He’s got such a beautiful voice. :-)

12. Jessie L. Martin is so damn sexy I still feel like I’m watching Law and Order with superheroes.

13. Liz says:

You forgot about the museum line! This episode was great, it really brought the emotion, I totally cried for Caitlyn and Ronnie. I can’t wait for the rest of the season!

14. Winter says:

So they are just going to have a makeshift prison below them? How going to you know feed the prisoners and where do they go to the bathroom? Are there going to be guards? I’m guessing no yard time. Seems like they are simplifying this whole we’ll just make our own prison thing.

• Mr. Sunshine says:

I’m glad I’m not the only that was thinking the same thing. When they closed the prison vault, I kept thinking, but he has to eat. :-)

15. Scott says:

I don’t watch Arrow, and I don’t read Flash Comics (I’m an X-Men person — well, really New Mutants from way back when). I’m really enjoying the acting and the storylines so far. Well done CW. So far it’s a very compelling story.

16. Emma says:

First, let me say that english is not my mother tongue, but I think I understand it pretty well.

That being said, I am the only one who noticed the “you come to finish what the gas chamber couldn’t” line ?
    Either I understood it in a wrong way (and any explanations are welcome) or I believe that the CW, the show’s writers and producers have some explaning to do.
    A remark like so is inappropriate, and it is my personal opinion that the channel and any involved parties in the show should have been more cautious; because, yes, there still are subject you can’t joke about.

Hoping to read a clarification soon.

• reboot2099 says:

English isn’t my first language either, so I understand you can sometimes miss some things said in a show. Happens to me too sometimes.

You misunderstood their intent. The “gas chamber” line isn’t a joke, and does not refer to what you think.

The villain was being executed in a gas chamber when the accident that gave Flash and other people their powers. So he didn’t die. Instead, he got powers and it is why he can now become gas. That is why he said the gas chamber couldn’t finish him.

I hope I was clear enough.

17. Leah says:

Well I don’t know if any of you have noticed but Wellls looks like an older version of Barry and he seems to know a lot about The Flash.I was watching the latest episode and finally noticed the two look a likes,I believe that he was going under a fake name so he could get close enough to Barry to help him be the man he is suppose to be and the only way that he could get back to his time and be able to help people is to protect Barry himself.Yes I realize this is a very strange way to think of things but it’s just an idea.