Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Nashville, Once, Five-0, Castle, Covert Affairs, Grimm, Arrow, Flash, Beast and More

Nashville Spoilers Rayna Luke

Will Nashville pit Rayna versus Luke? How will Five-0 mark the big 1-0-0? How does Once Upon a Time‘s Rumple know the Snow Queen? Is a Grimm romance doomed? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Nashville scoop, please! — Molly
I hear that Rayna and Luke are going to compete against each other at this year’s CMAs — that’ll make for some awkward pillow talk — and Teddy will find love in the wrong place. Follow-up: Has Teddy ever found love in the right place?

Hi Matt, can you please tell us something about Hawaii Five-0‘s 100th episode? –Mary
You mean in addition to alll this scoop I served up in August? Well, the milestone hour — this season’s seventh – is titled “Inā Paha,” and in it Five-0 must find McGarrett when he is kidnapped by Wo Fat. As the drama plays out, we will witness what might have happened to the team if they had taken very different path. Oh, and musician Gavin Rossdale guest-stars as “the nefarious Johnny Moreau.”

I was hoping you had some scoop on the rest of this season of Covert Affairs. If it could be about Eyal’s role, then all the better! –Michelle
Oded Fehr’s Eyal resurfaces in Episode 11 (titled “Trigger Cut” and airing Nov. 6), when Annie heads on a reconnaissance mission in Istanbul, while McQuaid’s health hangs in the balance. In that same midseason opener, Arthur takes the reins at McQuaid Security and Calder recruits a surprising new asset.

Things between Grimm’s Nick and Juliette ended very intensely last season. Any clue if they will be OK? — TheoGrimm Nick Juliette
“OK” is actually a very accurate of the Nick-Juliette relationship at the start of Season 4. The couple isn’t in a great place, what with Nick sleeping with Adalind and subsequently losing his powers, but Juliette is doing her best to be a supportive girlfriend. That said, she does make a trip to the Spice Shop at one point in the first few episodes to put a subtle, yet firm, kibosh on Monroe and Rosalee’s efforts to restore Nick’s Grimm-ness. Make of that what you will.

Trust me when I say that I am holding the Dark One’s dagger and command you to give us something on Once Upon a Time‘s Rumplestiltskin that isn’t Belle-related! –Christina
Right, as if the dagger would… OK, here you go! During our visit to the Once set this week, Robert Carlyle teased Rumple’s ties to Elizabeth Mitchell’s Snow Queen, saying, “A lot of these magical characters, Rumple has either trained or helped in some way. He hasn’t exactly trained her, but he’s helped her along the way. So there’s deep, deep history there, but it’s a really strange relationship. They’re very, very dangerous to each other [and] both slightly afraid of each other, I think.”

Will Once Upon a Time’s Elsa get out of that blue dress and into new clothes? –Lindsay
I’m betting on no. For one, Georgina Haig was in said costume when we saw her on set. And two, I could imagine Disney having an issue with Once drastically altering the appearance of a current movie franchise character/golden goose.

Anything new on Castle? – Sam
Episode 9, “titled “Role of a Lifetime,” revolves around the murder of a Stallone-like action-movie headliner, with the persons of interest including the vic’s onetime co-star, his Brigitte Nielsen-esque wife, and their club promoter son.

Are there any past characters coming back to Arrow in Season 3? Along the lines of Kelly Hu’s China White? –Alamin
As you may have heard, Katrina Law will soon return as Nyssa al-Ghul, and given what happened to her lover Sara, the LOA badass “absolutely” has some bones to pick, Katie Cassidy told me. “You will see [Nyssa go through] a wide range of emotions,” Cassidy previewed, “but ultimately, through the resentment and negativity, youll get a chance to see [her and Laurel] sort of come to understanding.”

I’ve heard conflicting reports — will Arrow’s Arrow_RayPalmerRay Palmer be turning into The Atom or not? –Bill
“Anything is possible,” showrunner Marc Guggenheim allows, before adding: “My instinct is if Ray Palmer is going to shrink he’ll probably shrink on another show. With The Flash in existence, there’s no compelling reason for us to do superpowers on Arrow.” That said, the EP teases, “We have plans for Ray that don’t involve shrinking but are actually really cool.”

Any Beauty and the Beast info you can reveal? Maybe who has been cast as Detective Harris? –Stephanie
Brandon Gill (of CBS’ Golden Boy) will debut in Episode 305 as – name change alert! — Detective Wesley Atchison, Cat’s new partner. Being his first day of the job and all, Wes is eager to work with an accomplished detective such as Ms. Chandler.

I’m not ashamed to admit this is a very shallow question, but: Is there any way that NCIS’ Jake could be from Oklahoma by way of London? I know that Jamie Bamber also plays characters who are not British, but that accent… sigh. –Andrea
Many a reader has echoed your sentiment/sigh/wish, Andrea, but I’ve confirmed that Bishop’s husband is American, so no accent for you.

Is William Petersen no longer an executive producer on CSI? I did not see his name in this week’s credits. –Lisa
1) Congrats on still looking at credits! A rare skill in today’s DVR-ified, FF-friendly world. And 2), I asked around and Petersen is in fact still an EP.

In the first episode of DirecTV’s Kingdom, 24 minutes in, a song starts — do you know name and artist? –Amy
That tune was titled “Heart,” by the band is OurLives.

What Dr. Wells said on The Flash has me wondering: Do we have any idea how far into the future it will be before Barry starts being called “The Flash”? –Susan
I reckon that, as with “The Hood”/Arrow, it’s a ways away. And Jesse L. Martin confirmed as much, telling us, “They stick with [‘The Red Streak’] for a while.” BONUS SCOOP: In Episode 12, we’ll meet Clay Parker, an Iron Heights escapee who leans on his girlfriend to use her metahuman skills in the name of “one last heist.”

Anything on either of my favorite A to Z - Season 1new comedies, Selfie or A to Z? –CLO
I choose Column B, if only because I have Ben Feldman and Cristin Milioti raving about next week’s episode AKA their mutual favorite-to-date. “There’s a moment where I meet Zelda’s family way too soon — at least in my opinion, way too soon — which is one of the most fun and coolest things that we’ve shot,” Feldman says. And along the way, Milioti notes, “You also find out so much about Zelda.” Mindy Sterling (Austin Powers) and Toby Huss (Halt and Catch Fire) guest as Zelda’s aunt and uncle.

I really enjoy Gotham, but I’m confused. What era is the show in? It’s about young Bruce Wayne, therefore, the cars should be older — which they seem to be most of the time. That being said, why are there cell phones? –James
This has been covered, but it’s worth repeating. As show boss Bruno Heller has said of the seemingly incongruous temporal cues, “It’s a mash-up, to use the modern phrase… a kind of timeless world. It’s yesterday, it’s today and it’s tomorrow all at the same time, because that’s the world that dreams live in.”

Do you have any scoop on either of these new Vampire Diaries and The Originals characters, Annie Nelson or Scarlett? –lilslim
I choose Door No. 1! A photography student whose life will be turned upside-down as she unravels the mystery of her true parentage, TVD’s Annie also seems headed for romance – with a fella who perhaps shares a name with yours truly.

After watching the pilot of The Affair, I’m very interested in this show. Do you have some scoop on it? –Ilona
If you’re wondering about those ominous flash-forwards at the cop shop, allow Joshua Jackson to make you wonder even more. “Act 1 of the affair will sort of come to its conclusion at the end of the first season,” he shared with us. “But the story that’s being told from the far future will play throughout the course of the series, if there is to be more seasons.” (And alas, that may be a big if.)

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email reporting by Vlada Gelman and Kim Roots)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Tran says:

Can’t wait for Hawaii Five-O’s 100th episode but are we still going to get…answers? Not to mention the whole McGarrett/Wo Fat story line that has been a “mystery” since Season One.

2. Erik says:

I would say “Nick sleeping with Adalind” isn’t exactly an accurate account of what happened. Will the show be dealing with the fact that she, in all honesty, raped him? I would say it was a mystical version of a ruffie.

• Kat says:

I doubt it. The way the show dealt with it in the season finale was terrible. No one acknowledged that Nick was basically violated and raped. Juliette was actually angry at Nick and blaming all of this on him being a Grimm attracting trouble.

Based on the way the show runners and actors have spoken about it in panels, I don’t think they even get what the situation actually meant.

3. Phillip says:

The Red Streak and The Blue Blur. This show makes me miss Smallville.

4. justtobesane says:

I’m really excited for the return of Nyssa on Arrow! I was excited before because Katrina Law but now given Sara’s death, it sounds like it will be intense.

5. Thanks for the #BATB scoop Matt, we appreciate it!

6. Jennifer says:

Thanks for the Rumple scoop. I’m loving Elizabeth Mitchell as the Snow Queen and that story is one of the few things I’m tuning in for anymore.

7. Ana says:

Very intrigued by the Rumple / Snow Queen connection. Especially what Robert said about Rumple being slightly afraid of her…The Dark One?
    I wonder…do you know Matt whether “the boy will be your undoing” storyline is done? Or will this come back? I hope so…I didn’t think Rumple temporarily “dying” was his undoing. Or was it?

8. Prish says:

Gotham is the world of low-cost, quality props. It’s working OK.

9. Molly says:

It’s been several months, and you still don’t get that Nick was RAPED by Adalind. Nope, not at all offensive. But worse yet, I’m sure the show thinks of it in the same terms. Nice.

10. Andrea says:

Thanks for answering my question, Matt. I’m still looking forward to Jake’s introduction—even without Jamie Bamber’s British accent.

11. Yoki says:

Ah, my question didn’t get answered!

12. Anthony says:

I think Marc Guggenheim is being a bit disingenuous with his response about Ray Palmer. There are dozens of super-scientist/businessmen in the DC Comics universe who have no super-powers (Ted Kord, for instance, who like Oliver fights crime without extra abilities) they could have chosen to buy Queen Consolidated. Instead, they chose a name associated with a unique ability. I think Ray will become The Atom (even if it means next season he joins the Flash cast, or more likely gets his own show), and they’re just trying to keep us in suspense.

• A says:

Ted Kord was Arrow’s first choice, but they couldn’t get him and instead settled for Ray Palmer. I’ve read multiple interviews with the EPs that say Arrow is going back to being grounded this season. So I suspect that Ray will be a mostly tech-powered superhero.

• Anthony says:

Ah, the world of “which characters can we use?” I’d think Ray/Atom would be the harder “get” of the two, but who knows how these licensing things really work. It sounds like Ray will end up being Ted in all but name. I’m all for a sci-tech hero making the scene (someone not pointy-weapon-based) to vary up Team Arrow as it ultimately expands.

And since I’m usually the one to say “the television shows are AU’s to the comics and don’t have to stick to Canon if it means telling a good story,” I really can’t complain too much if Ray doesn’t become the Atom. Unless I want to be a hypocrite, which I don’t.

Thanks for the response, A!

13. Metropolis is the city of Tomorrow, not Gotham (:P)

14. Bwhit says:

I liked the Affair, it really made me want to know more about why they are being interrogated. That being said, the people play Noah and Allison (did none of the creators read the notebook? Don’t ruin those names lol) have zero chemistry to me. I enjoyed the second half of the show because of Joshua Jackson, he was the most compelling character.

15. anna says:

yeah ! thanks for the batb scoop ! :)

16. wrstlgirl says:

I’m way beyond tired of the Wo Fat story arc on H50. It’s lingering on Red John status from The Mentalist. Time to wrap this up.

17. Drew says:

Does anyone else find it odd that every character on OUaT is a weird twist on a familiar character, but the Frozen people might as well be computer generated, they’re so identical to the movie versions?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Odd? No. Logical/practical from a business sense, as intimated above? Yes.

• Drew says:

I’m sure it makes business sense, but as someone who doesn’t give a rat’s butt about Disney’s business, it feels awkward to watch. It seems like an obvious and desperate attempt to make as much money as possible… Which is not what the viewers should be thinking about when watching a show.
        I thought Agents of SHIELD was a poorly done infomercial, but this show has taken the prize this year.

• Amie says:

I was kind of thinking that Disney could sell more Elsa outfits in their stores if they changed up her outfit on OUAT.

18. Andi says:

So we’re doing the Rumple has a history with the sexy evil witch plot (Regina, Cora, Zelena) for the fourth time? This show…

19. Abby says:

Based on that Nashville scoop, I’m even more convinced were going to be treated to all sorts of ‘Saddy’ drama in the coming months. which is pretty much just as awkward-awesome a couple name as Ruke :)

20. grandmal006 says:

Who does casting for Walking Dead? We need Lou Diamond Phillips on the show.

21. Letti says:

Thanks for Once scoop, it sounds nice :) However, I would be happier if you gave information about TO instead of TVD…couldn’t care any less about its current storyline and relationships. :P

22. Gloria says:

Never mind Elsa’s dress… when is Hook gonna shed the leathers as promised in scoop over the summer?

• JaneDoe says:

I take it you haven’t seen the preview for the next episode? Suffice to say, the answer to your question would appear to be: very soon :)

23. Audrey says:

In one of the OUAT behind-the-scenes videos, when they are in the costume department, they show that they’ve made Elsa’s Coronation outfit, along with other outfits for other characters, such as Hook’s coat and Robin’s outfit. Maybe she’ll wear it in a flashback?

24. Matthew Weber says:

Yay! A scoop on Castle! Love it when that happens!

25. Ilona says:

Thank you so much Matt for answering my question about The Affair! I hope rettings will pick up soon, cause it will be such a shame. The show has potential!

26. Daisy says:

I wonder how Rumpelstiltskin knows the
    Snow Queen.But, I would have preferred a Rumbell spoiler.
    And I would have liked to know other spoilers about my other favorite shows
    Bones and SPN, BUT OUAT is also my other favorite show. Rumbelle are my FAVORITE characters!! <3 :)

27. Daisy says:

<3 :) <3

28. James D says:

Having to watch Nick without his powers for anything more than an episode is already grating on the nerves. Please Grimm don’t do me like this give him his powers back sooner rather then later the whole mythology of the show and plot for that matter kind of hinges on it.

29. Okay, I don’t read comic books. Can some explain how shrinking is an effective superpower?

• Abby says:

There’s the ability to walk under locked doors, swim into a persons body and destroy a deadly virus (yeah I’m just guessing , I don’t know The Atom’s true benefit or if he can do/does these things) but you could also become like a flea on someone…

30. Thank you for the scoop on Beauty and the Beast…it is so appreciated

31. Svenska says:

Thrilled that Oded Fehr will be back as Eyal Lavin on “Covert Affairs” but please don’t say that it will only be for one episode. The episodes with Eyal & Annie are always the best. Eyal needs to be a regular.

32. Erin says:

Better if you say that u did it cause you wanted to instead of giving the cheesiest answer ever.

33. Briggs says:

The news about Castle tells me that we are going to be heading back into COTW territory, and I couldn’t be happier. Watching Castle and Beckett do business as usual is always amazing.
    Oh, I really want to see Nyssa and Laurel together. They haven’t had a scene together yet, and since Laurel has always had the best chemistry with her family (and Nyssa is all but family), I’m excited to see what happens when the meet.
    Ray doesn’t have to shrink. If you want to talk comic book canon, there has been at least one instance where he lost his powers and was still of *tremendous* help to the JLA. That being said, I’ve heard rumors that Brandon Routh was talking about an Atom suit, so maybe he winds up in Central City at some point (maybe chasing Felicity)? I’m really loving this shared universe concept, it opens up so many doors for both shows, and I can’t wait where it takes us next.

34. Amie says:

On Nashville, can Teddy please steal the blond chick with the limp hair and the nasty behavior so she’s nowhere near Deacon? Please?

35. Robin K. says:

I love the show Arrow but did I miss something about Sara? Did she die?