Ratings: Marry Me Samples Well, Flash Stays Strong, CBS Dramas Tick Down

Marry Me Premiere Ratings

The CW’s The Flash in Week 2 drew 4.3 million total viewers and a 1.7 demo rating (per finals), dipping just 10 percent from its very strong premiere.

Leading out of that, Supernatural (2.2 mil/1.0) was down 12 percent and one tenth.

Elsewhere….

CBS | NCIS (17.3 mil/2.5), NCIS: New Orleans (15.9 mil/2.2) and Person of Interest (9.7 mil/1.5) all ticked down a tenth in the demo.

NBC | The Voice (12.3 mil/3.4) was down from both Monday’s battle rounds (13.3 mil/4.0) and its year-ago Tuesday numbers (13 mil/4.0). Leading out of that, Marry Me debuted to 7.5 mil/2.3 — broadcast TV’s highest rated Tuesday comedy since March — and a “B+” grade from TVLine readers. About a Boy returned to 5.8 mil/1.7, up from both its Season 1 finale (5.7 mil/1.5) and what Growing Up Fisher last did in the time slot (5.1 mil/1.2). Chicago Fire (7.1 mil/1.9) slipped 14 percent and two tenths, yet drew its best Voice lead-in-free numbers since Jan. 30, 2013.

ABC | Selfie (3.5 mil/1.0) slipped another 12 and 16 percent, yet Manhattan Love Story (3 mil/0.9) was steady. Agents of SHIELD (4.7 mil/1.7) matched last week’s numbers, while Forever (4.7 mil/1.1) was down 13 and 15 percent.

FOX | New Girl (2.3 mil/1.2) slipped 12 and 14 percent, but Mindy Project (2.2 mil/1.1) rose a tenth.

1. Eric7740 says:

Flash was amazing!!!
    Marry Me was hilarious!!!
    Finally something to watch on Tuesdays!!!

2. Julio says:

Flash was good but I feel like the acting is a bit over the top…even for the CW. AoS is good but those numbers don’t look that great.

• Simon says:

I was afraid to say that. Especially that professor guy, he was way too intense. The actor who plays the flash also had some inconsistencies in my opinion. that doesn’t take anything away from the show though. We’re only on episode two, everyone it’s trying to find its footing.

• Sarah says:

Personally I think the actor – whose name is Grant Gustin by the way, has been doing a phenomenal job with the character. If there’s a weak link in my opinion it’s the writing that brings the show down a notch – what actor can pull off “we were all struck by that lightning” without sounding corny? I love how Tom Cavanagh is playing Wells too.

• herman1959 says:

I agree that Grant is Gusting is very consistent. That said, I feel the show comes to a screeching halt when Starr Labs is shown. Maybe it’s just me.

• Lizo says:

I think the weak spot is Caitlin and Sisco. I don’t think the writers (or actors) know who they are. She’s always in a foul mood and he’s just silly, especially with that lollipop. I like the actors for the part (never say no to a Panabaker), but my goodness do they need to fix them. Make them more interesting…and realistic. Barry, Joe and Iris all feel like real people.

• Lizo says:

I was thinking something similar while watching the episode today. Gustin is actually doing an awesome job! I wasn’t even going to watch this show until he popped up on Arrow and won me over in like 4 seconds. He has this ability to make me care about Barry really quickly. Which is kinda gold for a TV show. And I like Cavanage too.

• herman1959 says:

Agreeing with your 12:15 post: I think Caitlin is the problem, but Cisco is ok because he lightens the mood. I think they are trying too hard to give the Caitlin character some gravitas because the actress who plays her is (or appears to be) a little too young. Maybe her role should be recast now while the series is really getting started.

3. Babybop says:

Happy for About a Boy but I’m beginning to worry about Mindy…

4. Katherine215 says:

Oh, come on, Forever! This is such a good show, and it keeps slipping even further. :( Shield was pretty good last night (Coulson being quippy is the best); I finally felt like May had some personality. I really like ABC’s Tuesday lineup but I’m sadly in the minority… The Flash was great, too.

• Liz says:

You’re not the only one! I love the Tuesday line up. Both of the comedies were better than I expected and I adore Forever. While I expect at least one of the Tuesday comedies to go I hope they invest some time in forever. Maybe a new night?

• Abby says:

Right???? I’m saying the same thing! THAT SHOW IS SO GOOD!

5. AK says:

Sucks to hear about Selfie and especially Forever. They should pair Forever with Castle – those shows would definitely complement each other well!

6. RedReddington says:

They really really need to find a better lead in for Agents of Shield and Forever, or move them to a new night. These shows are slowly dying. Last night’s AOS was the best of the season, yet no one is watching. Wake up ABC!

7. Roscoe says:

I was sort of forced to watch Manhattan Love Story last night. Not sure if it’s only because I had low expectations…but I liked it.

• Katherine215 says:

I love that show. It’s really cute, but sadly no one likes/is watching it.

• Velocisexual says:

It’s not your low expectations, it’s actually a pretty charming likable show. But people (and critics) already seem to have made up their mind about it :( (the weak pilot didn’t help probably, 2nd and 3rd episode were much stronger).

8. ... says:

ABC has to cut Selfie and Manhattan Love Story. They’re damaging SHIELD, which is damaging Forever, and it’s not as if they have any signs of life w/r/t DVR or 18-34 demo. Neither Selfie nor Manhattan fit in with the rest of ABC’s comedies and the hour is so low-rated that keeping one and premiering something along with it would be a suicide mission.

• Ray says:

The lead in argument is a silly one. People are not tuning into SHIELD because they’ve decided its not worth watching–not because the shows airing 30 min or 1 hour prior have low viewership.

• John NYC says:

Agreed (though I like both comedies), the concept people are unaware of how to use a channel tuner or dvr programmer is quite weak.

Maybe there’s some research out there?

• herman1959 says:

I don’t think that we need new research to know that it was a mistake to put two new half-hour comedies together. They should have put one new show with a more established one (old research=common sense). Now what?

9. Jared says:

Nice hold for The Flash. I expect a full season order by The CW any day now.

10. Maryann says:

I was so sorry to see Forever slipping in the demo. It is a fantastic show, the best of the new season. (And yes, I like Gotham and The Flash, too.). Forever should particularly appeal to fans of Castle and The Mentalist, and fans of these shows should check it out. Smart, attractive female cop is assisted by a non-cop ( in this case the Medical Examiner) who shows Sherlock-style reasoning skills, and mix in fantastic chemistry between the two of them. What’s not to like?

• MP says:

For me, it was a scheduling issue. I already watch Chicago Fire and Person of Interest, there was no room to watch a new show. My mom is really liking Forever. If it continues maybe I’ll catch up online at some point.

• Scott says:

You’re right about Forever. It should appeal to people who like Castle, The Mentalist, and even Elementary. And for that reason is why I won’t be terribly upset, if it does get canceled. Because, I’ll have Castle and Elementary to fall back on(I don’t watch The Mentalist).

• Abby says:

I agree about Forever. And I like Gotham, too.

11. Drewer says:

So glad to here about About a Boy!

12. Matthew Weber says:

Not sure I care for the woman who is supposedly going to be Tony’s new flame on NCIS. I will wait and see, and it shouldn’t be a big deal, unless they are making her more part of a show than I expect.

Also not surprising that NCIS NO is significantly lower than NCIS LA was last year in the same slot. LA is much better and shouldn’t have been moved at all.

13. I.R.E. says:

New Girl went down the landslide, Mindy was constant last night.

14. HeatherC says:

I was a bit worried about Chicago Fire this week with not having The Voice to lead into it but it held it’s own and did well overall. Nice to see them winning the 10 PM demo while having pretty solid overall numbers. =) On the other hand, I really wish AoS had better numbers because that show is really getting good this season and I’m not even a big Marvel fan. =(

15. Julia says:

NCIS kills everything else on Tuesdays. There are far too many comedies on Tuesdays for any of them to get good numbers! NBC, FOX and ABC all have comedy blocks that are similar…the demo is not going to watch all of them at the same time.

16. Fran says:

Ugh, I really enjoy Forever. That just sucks.

17. Drew says:

Those Flash numbers are not bad. I expect it to trickle down to Arrow levels once it settles. Maybe a little higher. But it does have broader appeal than Arrow, since it is lighter and more fun.

18. csr says:

too bad about Selfie, which is very wittie and has great actors. Couldn’t watch 5 minutes of Manhattan Love Story, though.

19. Jim Petsche says:

Some Tuesday promise. Happy for ABOUT A BOY to be back, and FOREVER could run that long IMHO. Sad to see disappointing numbers. I have a soft a spot for MANHATTAN LOVE STORY. Call me crazy!

SHIELD seems misplaced on the schedule. Should it lead off the Tuesday ABC slate and help the comedies at 9 PM?

20. Eric7740 says:

A to Z should follow Marry Me on Tuesdays and About a Boy should move to Tuesdays after Bad Judge, or the the lead-in for Bad Judge. Let me start doing NBC’s scheduling and show pick-ups please!!!

21. Jenna says:

I hope Marry Me improves, or at the very least, maintains its ratings. I thought the show was hilarious.
    Sad about Forever. I really like it. Mystery, intrigue, with a great cast, masquerading as a procedural.

22. Christina says:

As a pretty regular SHIELD viewer from the beginning, even I didn’t watch this episode. I really am not a fan of the current storyline, and I’m kind of curious to see if viewership will improve once they change it up.

23. Via Bona says:

I had meant to watch AoS, because the sneak peek was cute (May & Coulson are always a win), but I’m behind on the episodes and didn’t have time to catch up before the episode aired. Unfortunately, with shows that are serialized like this, you really need to know what’s going on ahead of time….
    Too bad about “Forever.” Looks like it has a great lead actor. I saw a promo for it the other day. I actually hadn’t heard of it until I saw commenters on here talking about how good it was. Unfortunately, its numbers aren’t doing so well. So, seeing as how shows are cancelled so frequently these days, I don’t want to get hooked on a show just to have it cancelled under me. If it makes it past this season, I might catch up with it and try it next year.
    Too bad about “New Girl.” It had a funny episode last night. But it’s had a weak start this season so, I can understand why the numbers may have dipped some. But it *was* a good episode—that and the one with Carl Reiner were the funny ones so far this season. I hope it improves because I like the characters a lot and the writers, et al, seem pretty cool.

24. N says:

Forever….. :-{

25. FREDO says:

Great numbers for The Flash for the 2nd episode, I think these numbers bode well for the rest of the season.Sorry to see the decline for Forever, I really enjoy the show and the direction of the story so far and I really like the 2 leads, hopefully more people will give it a 2nd go and tune back in.

26. Eric says:

When a CW show samples better in the demo than an ABC show. More importantly when a DC show rates better than a Marvel show – #Justice!

27. spignejr says:

The CW is drawing in better numbers than Fox. damn!!!

28. Abby says:

Forever needs a new night and a better lead-in. Come on, ABC! Move it!!!!!

29. ChannySC02 says:

I LOVE FOREVER!! I DVR both Forever and Chicago Fire. I would hate to lose Forever. This is one of the few new shows that I like. If its not doing well move it.

30. jane mark says:

Poi?

31. DavidSask says:

Damn at ABC, try try again!!!!