Once Upon a Time Recap: Dairy Queen

Once Upon a Time Season 4

This week on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, Marian found herself in a free cone daze, Robin Hood and Emma made romantic confessions, Hook got his hooks into Gold and, in flashback, Elsa made a cool connection.

RELATED Regina Frozen Out? Once Upon a Time EPs Urge Fans to ‘Wait and See’

IN STORYBROOKE…. | Robin and Marian are touring the town when they fall prey to li’l Roland’s “But Regina lets me” appeal for ice cream. Any Given Sundae’s proprietor welcomes Marian with a cone that’s on the house — and also drizzled with some hocus-pocus that begins freezing her during Mary Margaret’s first “fireside chat” as mayor. This twist only adds to the townsfolks’ suspicions about newcomer Elsa.

Meanwhile, Emma grills Gold about his connection to Elsa, seeing how she had been trapped in an urn inside his “secret vault of terror,” but the Dark One — even when “commanded” to tell the truth by Belle, beholding the (fake) dagger — claims he’d never seen nor heard of the ice queen or her sister Anna before.

Regina is on her own mission, wanting to track down the storybook’s author — and after not-so-deftly pumping Henry for theories, mother and son put down their Thor and S.H.I.E.L.D. comic books and agree to launch Operation Mongoose, to solve this mystery together. Regina then is summoned to the mayor’s office, to weigh in on Marian’s frozen state. Elsa suggests this might call for “true love’s kiss,” which Robin delivers (as Regina can barely look) — yet the smooch has no effect. Because, as Robin later professes Once Upon a Time Season 4to Regina in private, he’s in love with someone else. Regina beams at the thought, then does best she can to help Marian, by plucking out her rival’s ticker before it gets frozen over.

RELATED Once Upon a Time at New York Comic-Con: Is #Swanovich the Next Sexy ‘Ship?

Emma and David search the woods for the town’s new foe, but instead find ex-Merry Man Will Scarlett rifling through Robin Hood’s tent. Scarlett wants nothing to do with one sheriff, let alone two (“That’s not even fair, is it!”) but he does share that while breaking into the ice cream parlor during the blackout, he noticed nothing was melting. Following that tip, Emma confirms that something is not right at Any Given Sundae, but lets Will flee in the process. Emma then frets to her father that something Regina taunted her about earlier is right, that she’s become the anti-savior.

Hook, though ordered by Emma to hide Elsa in the sheriff’s station, instead agrees to help the queen find out who else in town has ice magic. Hook revives his inner pirate to compel the Crocodile to assist in their endeavor, else he’ll tell Belle about the bogus blade. Gold thusly turns a lock of Marian’s frosted hair into snowflakes, which lead Hook and Elsa into the woods — where they briefly touch upon Hook’s love life and ultimately find the ice cream lady, decked out in her own regal splendor. Hook tries to phone Emma on the “ridiculous” cell phone, to no avail. Instead, he finds himself frozen in his tracks, while the Snow Queen confronts Elsa with some familiarity: “We have so much catching up to do.” When Elsa insists they’ve never met, the Snow Queen explains that the rock trolls had a role in helping her forgot certain memories, including a tragic one: that Anna trapped her in the urn.

The Cleavage Snow Queen explains that she’s been trying to teach Elsa a lesson with the ice wall and such, proving that “ordinary” people will never accept her. And for good measure, she’s ready to impale Hook with a dozen icy stalactites. But just then, Emma shows up, distracts the “Dairy Queen” and busts out her own magic, launching Frosty onto her keister and whooshing Hook and David out of harm’s way. After the melee, Emma can’t help but wonder how the escaped Snow Queen seemed to know her…..Once Upon a Time Season 4

That night, Emma explains to Hook why she has been wary of his involvement with the deadly new threat: “Everyone I’ve been with is dead,” up to and including monkey boy Walsh, she explains. “I can’t lose you, too.” But as Hook notes, “If there’s one thing I’m good at, it’s surviving,” and the two come together for a steamy clinch. Meanwhile in the forest, Rumple sneaks up on the Snow Queen to say, “I’m sorry things didn’t work out the way you wanted,” and then hints at how bad it would be if Miss Swan remembered her. Is his assistance needed? “When I’m ready to make a deal,” the Snow Queen says, “I’ll come to you.”

IN ARENDELLE THAT WAS…. | Queen Elsa gets word that Hans is planning to attack Arendelle with an army. Kristoff does some recon and discovers that Hans is in search of an urn that can “trap” witches such as her. Kristoff and Elsa find the urn first, but don’t act fast enough and wind up captured by Hans and his sideburns. But when Hans goes to use the urn to “capture” Elsa, the glimmery goo inside instead evolves into a human form: the Snow Queen. After freezing Hans and scaring off his bros, Snow Queen gets a tour of Elsa’s castle, where — upon commenting on a portrait of Elsa and Anna’s mother — she reveals that she is the girls’ aunt, a sibling that Idun preferred to never speak of, being magical and all. Snow Queen then assures Elsa, “We’ll find Anna… together.”

NOTABLE QUOTABLES | “I didn’t try to kill her; I left her to die.”/”Important distinction”…. Archie urging supermom/supermayor Mary Margaret to “Let it go”…. “What do you think it says?”/”Dangerous Urn! Keep Away!”…. “Have you ever made a snowman come to life?” (Olaf reference!)

What did you think of “Rocky Road”? Slightly better character integration? Excited for Operation Mongoose? (Know why they chose that name?) And can we talk about how much Flashback Elsa looked like the animated one?

1. CA says:

Much improved episode over last week’s.

2. MS says:

I’ll say it again. Hook=Kristoff, Emma=Anna, Robin is the real Hook and Maid Marian is the real Emma. It was so obvious tonight it’s not even funny!!

• MS says:

P.S It’s got something to do with sharing/swapping hearts. Remember Anna’s mother in the film her name was Idun. Meaning forever young or rejuvenation. So I’m thinking when Anna died she came back as someone else or her heart came back in someone else. I.E Emma. Then something happened when Hook and Emma went back in time and came back. So right now basically Emma’s heart is on ice. And Regina saved her. Remember this WAS supposed to be Emma/Regina centric. We saw Regina but not with Emma, but with Maid Marian.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

This was not the Emma/Regina-centric episode.

• MS says:

I stand corrected. Regardless, my theory still stands. That is, that is not the real Hook and Emma we are seeing. I understand parallells but tonight was more than that. Hook and Emma’s characterization was spot on with Kristoff and Anna. Plus they bring in the antagonist The Knave in the same episode we see Hans! Please!! If the Emma we are seeing is not Anna she is definitely Zelena. Or she could be both!

• lillian says:

Anastasia

• Sara says:

I’ve read all of your comments and your theory seems pretty far fetched and actually quite confusing.

• Zelda says:

I’m… not following.

• MS says:

It’s got something to do with Time Travel, hearts and heart sharing and being reborn. And I mean Hook and Robin are basically the same person. They way they speak,(They both call Regina “Your Majesty” or “The Queen”” their love of a drink even down to the Tattoo on the same arm. I can’t believe people haven’t picked up on it.

• MS says:

It’s even in the dialogue. Robin in 4×01 ” I was once…long ago, quiet different. But I changed. And I left my past in the past where it belongs” If that’s not a hint at him being not who he seems then I don’t know what is.

• MS says:

And lets talk about the fact that Anna wears a red cape, so did Marian, so did Zelena and Emma wears a red jacket. There is a connection with all those people. And then last season we saw that in the past Robin fought Malificent and in season 2 Hook said ” Malificent we meet again” And remember when Tink used her pixie dust on Regina and we saw the first 3 letters of the persons name? “Hoo” Why didn’t the writers want the last letter of the name revealed? It’s not like we didn’t know that the guy was Robin Hood.

• Or… The set designers really like the contrast of the color red against the mounds of black and white and forest scenery. I mean, Red also wears Red. Mr. Gold wears burgundy….

• Andrew says:

And if there had been an episode where a heart had been transferred from one body to another and that led to a transfer of personality as well, then that bit of your theory would make sense. As was demonstrated in a previous episode, another heart simply confers the ability to give life, albeit a painful one, when Dr. Frankenstein/Whale used one of Regina’s stored hearts to bring back Daniel.

• Or perhaps it’s just a sign of bad writing and making multiple characters too similar… or perhaps they are easter eggs…

• Pati says:

I’m very confused by your coment. Anyway flashback Elsa looked just like the animated one

• Meghan says:

you’re funny.
      OUAT isn’t that complex. If the viewer wouldn’t be able to follow it, they wouldn’t do it. So your little theory is completely out of question.
      But keep believing it if you want to. Just don’t act too surprised if it’s proven that you’re wrong.

• Shazay says:

Can you articulate this theory so that its understandable? Because, HUH??

• kg says:

I agree.. that theory was so confusing and that person just kept rambling on… I’ll just watch and see what happens… instead of trying to guess…

• K says:

The biggest parallel Sunday was Hans stealing Hook’s (and Hook’s fans’) line: “I didn’t try to kill her, I just left her to die.” Sounds like Hanna is twu wuv.

3. Melanie says:

First, the “Dairy Queen” comment made by Emma was hilarious. Second, since Emma was a part of the foster care system, could the Snow Queen be her foster mom? I mean since we are going to see Emma in her teenage years this season. What do you think, Matt?

• Jennifer says:

OOHH!!!! Didn’t think of that … I’m liking that angle.

• Mel says:

OMG, Mel I thought the same thing too. When Rumple said you better hope she does not know who you are I thought Foster Mom or fellow cell mate???

• Chris says:

I wondered this too. But wouldn’t the Snow Queen be trapped in Storybrooke with everyone else while the curse was active?

• Davey Elmer says:

With the Snow Queen/Frostine and Emma, I’m thinking adoptive mother moreso than foster mother, at least right now.

We know we’re going to see more of Emma as a child, and given how central the fact that Emma was adopted and then later given away is to her characterization, I can’t think of anything more impactful than to have the Snow Queen/Frostine be Emma’s adoptive mother, and to have the reason she was given away be something bigger than just that the Swans had a child of their own and didn’t want her anymore.

If Emma doesn’t remember/recognize the Snow Queen, it might be simply because the woman looked much different and something might’ve been done to her memories subconsciously.

4. Zelda says:

I liked it. I’m really liking their Kristoff and the Snow Queen’s real introduction was intriguing. Although I’m on the fence about her already knowing Emma and Rumple. I’d hoped beyond hope they’d finally introduce a villain who has no fixed ties to one of the main characters already, maybe also to contrast what’s coming up in 4b. Making her Elsa’s aunt sounded good enough as a way of keeping the Snow Queen relevant to larger story of this half-season to me. But I’m gonna be patient and wait where they take this.
    Operation Mongoose – very clever, I dig that. The whole scene at Granny’s was a perfect reminder of why the Regina and Henry relationship adds so much to this show. I loved how Henry immediately picked up on Regina being “up to” something and the way she then honestly explained her thoughts about the book and that it could need some fixing to him. Regina’s reaction when Henry told her that he’d help her was heartwarming as was his enthusiasm about their new “secret mission”. I’m very, very excited about this story and I can’t wait to see more of it.
    Only thing that prevented the Regina and Henry scene from being my favorite in the episode? Regina, Robin, and his confession that he’s “in love with someone else”. It’s an odd thing to say maybe, but I’m so grateful they had to recast Robin Hood because Sean Maguire has made the character my favorite among the men on the show in no time and the chemistry between him and Lana Parrilla is a real gold mine. What a predicatment, though. Regina loves Robin, Robin loves Regina and yet… they just can’t be together. Almost makes you want to pull your own heart out to protect it from the pain and angst while watching those two torturing themselves. ;) I’m optimistic it’ll all work out in the end, though. I do wonder if the Snow Queen freezing Hans in the flashbacks will somehow come back to provide a clue about how Regina and the others might be able to save Marian from her freezing curse in the present.
    Snow as mayor… I don’t know, it felt kind of misplaced in this episode. I understand the purpose of those scenes, the impromptu therapy session with Archie spelled it out very clearly, but I’m just not really feeling it. But I imagine that’s a story that’ll continue too and maybe I’ll develop an emotional connection to it later. I doubt I’ll ever get used to Mayor Snow White, though. Especially if she keeps adding her “personal touch” to the office with colorful paintings and “fireside chats”. ;)

5. I got to see my Knave. I’m happy, that is all.

6. rachelle says:

The highlights for me were: 1) finally seeing the Knave! 2) Robin’s TLK failing to work on Marian and him admitting to Regina that it was because he was in love with someone else. I’m all smiles after all the Outlaw Queen heartache we’ve been subjected to. 😍😍😍

7. Kat says:

i’m mostly wondering how the snow queen knows emma. i can’t quite figure out how they would have crossed paths.

i think the snow queen is really elsa’s mom and elsa was adopted after they imprisoned the snow queen in the urn.

• Laura B says:

I also think that the snow queen is Elsa’s mom
      And I believe that she knows Emma from her years in the foster system, maybe she was her foster mom, or someone working at the orphanage that we saw last season
      Anyhow, I’m finding this story really interesting!

• Mel says:

Yes, I agree. I also wondered at first if she was Anna in disguise. Silly, not sure why I thought that. It makes more sense what you said.

8. laurelnev says:

So glad Frozen added to, rather than monopolizing the story this week. And we KNOW that SQ was lying about the trolls erasing Elsa’s memory. If Anna had trapped Elsa in the urn, wouldn’t she have had to be OUT of the urn for the trolls to have erased her memory? Somehow, I don’t think SQ will turn out to EVER have been an ally of Arendale.

9. karakk says:

I’ll admit that I was a little weary of another flashback to Arendelle (that makes 3/3 for Frozen-related flashbacks. no?), but I thought they used them better here, compared to the previous two episodes. All of the Storybrooke stuff I really enjoyed, it felt a little more balanced this week. Seeing Rumple & Hook interact was an especially nice treat, as I always love to see them verbally spar.

I’m curious to see what the deal is with Elizabeth Mitchell’s Snow Queen – I already like the feel of her character, and I’m intrigued to see a villain connected personally to Emma.

10. Joseph says:

I am disappointed with what happened to Hans. He suffered his Waterloo.

11. Z25 says:

Little Roland cracked me up, manipulating his parents into getting him icecream by mentioning Regina. Awkward! For the parents at least.
    How does Will/Knave know Maid Marian? Didn’t he leave the Merry Men either before she came into the picture or after everyone thought she was dead? She wasn’t with them in that Wonderland episode with Robin Hood.
    I think Robin Hood knew before he did it the TLK with Marian wouldn’t work. Or suspected at least. I hope Maid Marian can be saved and then she can find happiness with someone else. It’s not fair to her or to him if Robin Hood and Marian stay together when it’s so obvious his heart is with Regina now. And Robin and Regina belong together.

12. Tran says:

Great to see Elizabeth Mitchell on OUAT. Still disappointed on the demise of Revolution (NBC).

13. Fan says:

The Dairy Queen line killed me. I loved Emma this episode. Will and the Snow Queen were cool as well. Very interested to know the SQ connection with Emma.

14. Becky says:

Great scene with Elizabeth Mitchell and Robert Carlyle at the end. He and Lana Parrilla are the OuaT actors I want to see Liz work with the most. Maybe Giancarlo Esposito too if he’s still on this show? Mini Revolution reunion.

15. Matthew b Lawler says:

Regina chose operation Mongoose because mongooses kill cobras and Henry and Emma’s operation was operation cobra it was basically Regina’s way of saying that she was better than Emma

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ding-Ding!

• Jeri says:

Yup. The whole scene was pretty disgusting. If you kill multiple people, abuse your child, and rape someone–you were actually a villain, you weren’t just drawn that way. And for Henry to seal clap along and encourage that? Since when does Henry think she was never evil? It was awful.

• David C. says:

I think the writers are making the point that Regina WAS written that way, since that IS what happened in the stories. The stories aren’t just ABOUT what happened in another world. The stories CREATED the other world. The Author can give Regina the happy ending she craves. Sorry about all the capital letters, but I needed them for emphasis !!! LOL

• Jeri says:

I’m not sure about that–if the stories create the Enchanted Forest world, why did half the book disappear during the time travel adventure? Why did Regina continue to rape, maim, and pillage after being in Storybrooke? Those scenes weren’t written in the book, and Regina presumably had free will for those.

To me, it came across more like they were trying to say that representing past Regina as a villain was wrong and propaganda of some sort.

And if Regina wasn’t actually like that–had only done that because the book made her do it–wouldn’t she have a regret or two? (The person tied to the Regret Tree? No remorse there.)

• JC1 says:

I really hope you’re wrong and that’s not what’s going on here, because that strips away any concept of free will and independent thinking on the part of the characters. Regina did bad things because the book writer made her do it. Snow did good things because the book writer made her do it. While a very meta concept, it would totally destroy the show for me, because one of the central conceits of the show (for me) has been that these fairy tale characters are real people from another world. If they’re only someone else’s creations, with no ability to make right or wrong decisions for themselves, I think it kind of destroys the story that we’ve been watching for three seasons now.

16. Maroni says:

In my opinion they put too many stories into these episodes in s4. Just for today:
    – Frozen in present time + flashbacks
    – Emma having issues
    – Snow White as the new mayor + issues with new baby/Emma
    – Regina + Henry and the book
    – Regina/Robin
    – Snow Queen in Storybrooke
    – Rumple vs. Hook blackmailing
    – Will Scarlet in Storybrooke

It’s just too much. Slow down. No wonder some main characters (!!) get only 1-2 scenes in every episode this way.

• Name That Tune says:

+1000
      Too many stories and simply mundane writing and plot development. Who cares about Elsa, Anna, The Snow Queen and Arendale? it makes no sense.

17. Matthew b Lawler says:

What confuses me about this whole Regina wants to track down the author of the book is cause I thought it was a stab list previously the Pinocchio was the one that wrote the book he use the book to convince Neil to leave Emma so that she could fill her destiny as the savior he added to the book when he came to town i’m just waiting to see how they plan to Retcon the show history to erase the fact that it’s previously been established that Pinocchio wrote the book

• Becky says:

They didn’t establish that August wrote the book. We only saw him tinkering with the book by adding new pages to it in season 1, but they never implied that he wrote the whole thing. And August convinced Neal with a slip of paper that had Neal’s FTL land name, Baelfire, on it. Not the book.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Correct, this was reiterated at Friday’s NY Comic-Con panel — August only tinkered with the book.

• Matthew b Lawler says:

Is there any possibility that the Arthur of the book and the sorcerers hat that rumple discovered in the season premier are connected

• Matthew b Lawler says:

My question then is if our August a.k.a. Pinocchio is at the Arthur of the story but how did he even know about it since he like grew up outside of Storybrooke so how would he have known to show up in Storybrooke and add his story to the storybook and if he was able to add to the story but then why would they need the original Arthur is then it would appear that anybody could add to or take away from the storybook also I find it perplexing stating that the storybook is providing Regina from having a happy ending considering the thing that is going on in Storybrooke has any bearing on what happened in the past the storybook only tells about the enchanted Forest it is not describing anything in Storeybrook and another confusing thing it’s so easy to track down the source of magic like Ron Paul did with the evil snow queen by trance forming Marians frozen hair back into the source magic why couldn’t they just do that with the story book to track down the Writer

• Gloria says:

Please tell me ‘a stab list’ wasn’t an autocorrect fail. Because that would make me weep.

18. Matthew b Lawler says:

I agree with the person who posted that they think the snow queen will turn out to be connected to Emmas past in foster care because it has been previously established that there have been magical characters in the real world outside of Storybrooke

19. Matthew b Lawler says:

Did anyone else notice that the snow queen seem to be looking at some sort of magical blueprint of an ice castle or kingdom while she was out there in the woods

20. abz says:

The “Dairy Queen” comment just killed me. I was laughing too hard and can I just say how much I love seeing Hook and technology together. That cellphone scene cracked me up. Can’t wait to see more of it.
    LOVING Elizabeth Mitchell’s Snow Queen. Can’t wait to find out her connection to Emma. JMo did say that the upcoming Emma flashback revealed something that really surprised her so it could possibly be that she was her foster mother or something.

21. Matthew b Lawler says:

By the way I love the fact that when Emma was listing off her dad love interest that they remembered sheriff Graham a.k.a. the Huntsman and I bet the powers that be on one sec kicking themselves given that they fired the actor that would be Christian gray 😗

22. rachelle says:

What was with the Snow Queen being surprised to see Emma? I was under the impression that everyone knew who Emma was and that she was in Storybrooke. The Snow Queen came with either the first or second curse and had enough time t learn of Emma being in Storybrooke.

And can I just say that Rumple is shadier than a palm tree?? His only redeeming quality was his love for his son. He moved mountains and waited centuries to be reunited with Bae and I thought that was commendable. But his love for Belle is sooo tainted, I can’t even credit him for being capable of that love. He switched the fake dagger with the real one, then switched it back and now he’s up to his old tricks. He’ll never change and he can never be trusted. I love the character, though. Robert Carlyle plays him well.

23. analog says:

No Anastasia? Didn’t the Knave and her end up together on OUATW?

• Maureen says:

Right?! What the heck lol

• Davey Elmer says:

Be patient. We’ll be finding out why Will’s back and what happened with him and Ana.

• Letti says:

I still hope they’ll be together in the end, even if it makes Will a one-season-character. And I’d love to see Ana again…with Cinderella maybe?

• Sora says:

Can’t agree here. It’d be nice to learn more about what happened with Ana but, not if it sacrifices the Knave or makes him irrelevant to the story. I’d like him to be around for a while, thanks.

• Katherine215 says:

I will be so mad if they break up Will and Anastasia. The Wonderland characters got their happy ending! Leave them alone!

• I’m gonna go on limb and say that the second curse brought Wonderland with them, lice and the genius weren’t affected cause they stayed at old England, but Anastasia and Will were, and, by some reason we are yet to find out, it wiped their memories of wonderland, so all they remember is going to Wonderland, and nothing else.

24. Stormy says:

Just one question. Did the Snow Queen get her necklace [xmas ornament] in a 2 pack at the Dollar Store?

25. Maureen says:

Did anyone catchwhat was on the urn ?
    I wanna know what it said

26. V.B. says:

I watched part of tonight’s episode-the last 15 mins. or so. It was good. Lana Parilla is still awesome, I see-and RC. And I see why people like Robin and Regina. Whatever they do on the show, I hope Regina makes it out well and with a happy ending of her own. She’s pretty cool.

27. Viewer X says:

Elizabeth Mitchell can get it. WOW.

28. Jeff says:

Did anyone else notice the thing about Regina and Henry’s mission? Haha Regina named it Operation Mongoose (which kills snakes aka Operation Cobra). Im surprised Henry didnt notce lol

29. MattySi says:

OK. What I’m thinking is that the Snow Queen is Elsa’s birth mother. That would explain how she was born with her powers. What I’m questioning is how Emma and the Snow Queen know each other. It’s been reported that one is related during this arc so I’m interested how they tie the Snow Queen and Emma together.

• Davey Elmer says:

Adam and Eddy made some comments in which they were adamant that they weren’t going to make Elsa and Anna related to anyone in Storybrooke, and Elizabeth Mitchell just made some comments hinting that her character isn’t telling the truth about being related to Elsa and Anna, so I remain very skeptical that she’s actually their Aunt.

• Melanie says:

I thought she could be her mother too, but rewatching the episode he makes no sense for a King and Queen to give their castle to their hidden adoptive daughter. I mean, Elsa’s parents (at least, in Frozen) were scared of her and her powers. They would not have let her rule their kingdom thinking she was dangerous and not entirely theirs. Powers are not necessarily something that goes from parents to child.
      BTW, isn’t Elizabeth Mitchell AWESOME!? I mean, the way she said “Emma”‘s name you felt not only did the Snow Queen knew Emma, she loved her and cared for her. That was a very powerful instant. Can’t wait to see more

30. ninergrl6 says:

I LOVED THIS EPISODE! The flashbacks added to the Frozen/Snow Queen mythology, there was character development as well as plot development, and I can’t think of anything that felt like filler (which I don’t usually say). It’s crazy that the guy playing Hans looked EXACTLY like the cartoon. I liked the Elsa/Kristoff flashbacks, kind of felt like love triangle potential. I’m very intrigued by the Snow Queen’s connection to Emma — didn’t see that coming & have no idea where it’s going. I’m glad someone figured out Rumple is lying. I’m glad Regina had good moments with Robin & Henry. I’m glad Emma admitted why she’s being distant with Hook. And I’m SUPER EXCITED about next week’s episode! The hand, the new clothes, the date… I don’t think I can handle it!

31. lillian says:

Anastasia should be part of the show she was a princess too

• Davey Elmer says:

Which Anastasia are you talking about? The Red Queen Anastasia from OUaTiW, or the character of Anastasia from the animated movie of the same name? If it’s the latter, she’s not a Disney character, and if it’s the former, she was never a Princess since she had to marry into royalty in order to become royalty.

32. Kacem says:

I’m loving these episodes !
    And about the Snow Queen/Emma thing, i have this crazy theory where the Snow Queen is the same one from Narnia; and she knew Emma because she was one of the characters from the series to go through the closet to Narnia and something happened there, and that’s something we get to see and brings up the Emma in her young years episode =)

• Jennifer says:

YES!!! THIS ^^^^

• Letti says:

No Narnia please. I love the books, I love the movies, but I def don’t want to see Narnia in ouat. That would be too much. And if Emma were in Narnia, she wouldn’t have been so skeptical about Storybrooke.

• Maureen says:

Did you even read the books?
        It makes sense that she would have forgotten about Narnia as she got older…dismissing it as child’s play.
        It would be be nice but we’ll see.

• Letti says:

But in Narnia we knew all 7 people who went there, Susan was the only one who “didn’t” remember, and the events took place around the second world war, so Emma was definietly not there. Did YOU read the books? I did many times -.-

• Nick Baker says:

OUAT has changed countless details of all the worlds it has featured (the “crocodile” in Neverland actually being Rumpel Stiltskin, various characters being related, etc) so they could easily change the details of the Narnia world so that someone from OUAT travelled there.

• Katie says:

Did YOU ever read the books? All the kids are actually dead.

• That would be hilarious!!! I’d read a fanfiction about it!!!

33. Jess says:

I thought Kristoff was better (And funnier) in this episode than in Season 4 Episode 1 X) And I was right about Marian having her heart removed to give everyone more time to find a cure for her. I won’t mind if she dies, but I think it’s far too early in the season (Or this half of the season) to die now.

34. Pat says:

A very touching scene between Robin and Regina when he told her the reason why his kiss did not work on Marian. Now, the one critique that I have with this particular episode, was the awful outfit that they put Jennifer Goidwin in. Yes, I know that she had a baby in real life, but my goodness that did not compliment her at all for a women in her thirties. If anything, it made her look dowdy. What the heck were they thinking? Also, Archie standing there and watching Mary Margaret trying to hold a baby and close the stroller up, do you think he could have just helped her instead of lecturing her and he just completely walks away with no compassion for her.What a jerk and also not a gentlemen. I cannot wait to find out what connection the Snow Queen has to Emma.

• Katherine215 says:

Haha, I thought the same thing about Archie. Fold the stroller for her, for pete’s sake! You can lecture and fold at the same time, dude.
      I have hated how they dress Ginnifer basically since the show started. She always looks frumpy and dowdy. I think it must be intentional, because it has been consistently bad the entire time. Such a shame since she’s so pretty.

• gdv says:

Yes, Ginny’s so pretty—who the heck has been styling her lately? Her styling was lovely in S1. But every other season (and especially this season) her wardrobe has been totally off. Did they change the costume department at some point? She looks like she’s been wearing frumpy grandma clothes from Goodwill. If they want to hide her after-baby bump, then put her in some elegant coats for goodness sake!

On another note, someone needs to gift Snow a baby bjorn. Might be easier than a clunky blanket and giant stroller. Actually, I was expecting Snow and Regina to bond more over caring for the baby. Like, I was expecting an episode where Regina gives Snow some of Henry’s old baby clothes, etc. It’d make for some great scenes between them, right?

• Melanie says:

I believe it’s more than after-baby-bump, I think Ginny actually gained some weight, which is alway problematic when you’re on TV as they praised for homogenous “sexy” bodies

• Magnhild says:

OUAT/Goodwin Snow White is both a coquette princess and a tomboy archer. The preppy sensible look they choose for her in Storybrooke is quite nice I think.
        Mother and Daughter Emma are the same: they are very pretty and they do not need/want sophistication, and they want practical clothes and shoes.
        I think Snow always looks adorable.
        The only potential miss in the last episode was her shoes. But who cares, she’s still pretty.

• H.Houston says:

Archie couldn’t help her. Mary Margaret is stuck in her mind about how she must do everything and do it perfectly this time around. There were little things in this episode and others showing that she is a little obsessed with being in control because of the past. He needed her to hear what he was saying and if he tried to help she would have pushed off his help and not listened to the words.

• MLPR says:

Just an observation, but you can totally tell that men are in charge at OUAT. There is no way that the infant could fit in that stroller. He needed an infant carrier. A busy mother in 2014 would never carry her baby around in a blanket like that.

• MLPR says:

I totally agree with your comment that poor Ginnifer Goodwin’s wardrobe sucks.

35. d says:

You know Narnia was a Disney movie too….

• Davey Elmer says:

Just because Disney distributed the Narnia films doesn’t mean they have ownership over the Narnia property. In order for Narnia characters/settings/concepts to be used in Once, ABC would have to work out a deal with Douglas Gresham, C.S. Lewis’ step-son and the keeper of the Lewis estate and anything related to Narnia, and we would know about such a deal having been made.

36. d says:

And they never specify in frozen the actuality that Elsa is who the movie frozen is based on..the snow queen, so I think that’s exactly who she is..the snow queen we all wanted in the movie frozen.

37. KP says:

I came in 20 minutes late, so I missed all the scenes with the Knave. But the rest of the episode was like excruciatingly boring. Maybe it was a bigger episode for the people that watch Once for the ships, but they definitely don’t contribute to my watching experience. Like, I always liked the QUESTIONS about Once like in the pilot, when they talked about the writer and the Hat. But this week was not interesting at all in those regards. So the Snow Queen knew Emma. Like, so? And, frankly, it wasn’t surprising at all.

38. Lies says:

Loved the knave! Think it would be perfect to see him/hook and robin working together for something that must be awesome. Can’t wait for hook his clothing change next week really dying to see that!! And i know that the snow queen has nothing to do with Narnia but i wish it did, because that would make me even more excited! Once upon a time is doing one hell of a job this season you can already tell that by now.

• Kelly says:

I can see it with the Knave and Robin, but to be honest I hope they keep Robin at least away from Hook. I like Robin and Charming, but other than that I’m not a big fan of the men of OUAT and Hook is easily my least favorite among the bunch, sory.

39. TVSERIESADDICT says:

Wow. Season 4 is just outstanding!
    The actors and actresses couldn’t be better and the writing keeps on getting better and better.
    Not to mention the special effects.. still need more work but still better than the fake dragon in Season 1

40. The Knave! Yay!

Are we going down the ‘true love’ path for him and Marion? Since Robin already figured out why his kiss didn’t work on Marion, and the Knave came rushing to town at the thought of something being wrong with Marion…..it’s at least a possibility. I know Anastasia was his great love in Wonderland, but I don’t think its too far-fetched to think they’d like us to forget Wonderland even happened. And far-fetched is sort of what this show does really well.

• Davey Elmer says:

Adam and Eddy have repeatedly said that we’ll be finding out why Will’s in Storybrooke again and what happened with him and Ana since we last saw them.

• DD says:

The Knave was in town for the black-out last week already, so he did not come “rushing to town” because something was wrong with Marion…

• Melanie says:

Hum, what about not-at-all! Have not watched OUAT in Wonderland, but can I quote Elsa on the frozen curse that the only cure is “an act of true-love”. OUAT, and Frozen, have shown that true-love is not only between romantic partners, but can come out of siblings love, parent-child, etc. I mean, I would have recommend Roland before even thinking of Robin.

41. I’m still seriously bummed OUAT has claimed that a CGI Olaf would be too expensive. (1) Apparently it wasn’t too expensive for a Pappi cameo and (2) couldn’t he just come to find Elsa in Storybrooke as a real person [just like Pinocchio, Jimmney Cricket, the Blue Fairy, Tink, and everyone else?]?? That snowman reference just drove the dagger in my heart a little deeper.

That aside, I loved this episode. The thing I’ve always liked best about OUAT is the complexity of the characters. No one is just “good” or “bad” like the fairy tales. I’m intrigued to see how the Snow Queen fits in, since she was most certainly portrayed as initially “bad,” but now seems that, much like our beloved “Evil Queen,” she may not be so.

And, man, I am shipping hard for Emma and Killian. Emmalian? Kilma? Don’t care. Love them. Love him.

42. Alex says:

All those Frozen flashbacks are killing me. I haven’t seen the movie and don’t want to, and i don’t care about the characters. I can stand Elsa when she’s in Storybrooke, but the flashbacks are dreadfully boring. That annoying guy and the reindeer are the worst!

43. Ana says:

Loved that Hook was the only one perceptive enough to realize that Rumple would never give Belle the actual dagger. Admittedly he’s known him the longest, but it was still impressive. After all his shrewd mind is part of why he’s so excellent at surviving.
    It moved me deeply that Emma found the strength to be vulnerable with Killian, the man she deeply cares for, after having experiences so much loss in her life. It was so beautiful to see the glimmer of realization dawn on Killian’s face and the surprise he felt for a moment hearing that the woman he loves reciprocates. This is a man who hasn’t been loved for hundreds of years and if anyone deserves Emma’s love (romantic) it’s this man who’s sacrificed and fought for and next to Emma and who loves her so well. And knows her well too. For he found the words that qualmed Emma’a fears and brought a smile to her face.
    Him initiating their kiss was so fitting and beautiful…
    I can’t quite believe Adam and Eddy are writing their story this well.

Very excited to find out how the snow queen knows Emma. Very intrigued.

44. Liz says:

I’m going to bet that the Snow Queen put Elsa in the urn. Not even sure if she’s really their aunt. I’m intrigued. Also, the actor they cast as Hans was spot on!

45. Mia says:

Loving the show right now. The Frozen storyline and characters are great. They’re refreshing, and the Frozen characters interact well with the regular Once characters. Elsa’s awesome – as beautiful, and good, as I thought her character would be. Kristoff’s just as fun and adorable as in the movie. Anna’s the same naive, sweet, spunky, loving, fearless, etc. as the movie version. Great casting! I know it’s only 3 episodes in, but I am already wishing there’s a limited series run for the Frozen characters, like they did for Wonderland, except better, and put in the timeslot for the winter hiatus for Once Upon a Time. How’s “Once Upon a Frozen Time”, or “Once Upon a Time in Arendelle”? ;)

46. Kinia says:

I think that maybe the Snow Queen helped delivering Henry or was at least there when he was born and took him to storybrooke; it makes sense because Gold knows her and he probably knew Henry would be the way to lure Emma into storybrooke and thus lift the curse. So yeah, thats my theory.

47. ashley says:

Does anyone here enjoy the idea of an Emma/Regina pairing or does that..not work for you guys?

• MrElephant says:

wha…Remember this is a kids show kinda. Besides Regina hate Emma right now with a passion, so even if they were that way it wouldnt make sense.

48. JC1 says:

Well, with the exception of….pretty much anything to do with Regina, I really enjoyed that episode. Loved the Frozen stuff, the Captain Swan stuff, the Emma/David scenes, the Hook/Elsa scenes, seeing the Knave again, and even Gold being back to his scheming self. This is why Rumbelle will never work for me, because Gold/Rumple is at his best when being his scheming underhanded self, and he’s completely boring when he’s trying to be good for Belle. When they first started Rumbelle, I thought it was a clever twist. Now I think it’s destroying both characters, and I wish they’d never done it.
    As far as Regina goes….*sigh*. I know I’m coming across as a huge Regina hater, but I’m not. I love Regina, I think Lana Parilla is fantastic. I just canNOT get behind this particular storyline. And it just seems like they keep making it worse. The scene with Henry, and Henry saying she wasn’t really evil? That was disturbing. I’m all for her getting redemption, but let’s not pretend what happened didn’t happen. And Robin confessing his love for Regina over his wife’s frozen body? Yuck. I’m sorry, but I can’t find that to be even a tiny bit romantic. I could have supported Regina/Robin before Marian came back (and did, a little bit), even as contrived as it was, but I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to now.
    But where is Ruby?!?

49. Eve says:

Love The way EM delivers get lines. So calm and collected at all times. Wish I had that duet power.

50. Magnhild says:

Hello Swannovich ;-) Did you notice and understand what the Snow Queen silently said at the very end of this episode??
    Anyone?

• kris says:

I noticed but thought it was an editing error

• Magnhild says:

Ah ha….Thanks for this input Kris! It would be quite a fail though… I doubt it’s that.
        But it could be the explanation. After all they rely messed up the filming of one of the scene between Regina and Sydney Glass in episode 4.01…
        Serie still awesome though!