Fall TV Preview

American Horror Story: Matt Bomer's 'Disturbing' Debut, a Hellish Halloween and More Freak Show Scoops

Episode 2

The premiere of American Horror Story: Freak Show is still 12 hours away — 15 for you west-coasters — but TVLine has some early scoop, including what co-creator Ryan Murphy calls “one of the most disturbing things we’ve ever done.”

RELATED Jessica Lange’s AHS Exit: Co-Creator Ryan Murphy Tempts Her With a Plan B

Read on for five major teases from the brains behind the new season, including what you can expect from this year’s Halloween special. (Spoiler alert: It involves two faces and a potential gate to hell. You know, the usual.)

* Episode 4 will reveal everything you need to know (for now) about Freak Show‘s big bad, Twisty the Clown. “There’s a big story that explains … why he’s doing what he’s doing,” Murphy says. The episode is “somewhat based on an urban myth.”

* This year’s two-part Halloween episode revolves around Wes Bentley as Edward Mordrake, a real-life figure who was supposedly born with a face on the back of his head (one which whispered evil commands, no less). Per carnie lore, you’re not supposed to work on Halloween night for fear that your songs will summon Edward, who will come and drag one of you down to hell. “That’s also the episode where Jessica [Lange] sings Lana Del Rey,” Murphy adds,” which is quite something to behold.”

* Expect more conflict between Emma Roberts and Sarah Paulson’s characters this season! Roberts plays Jimmy’s (Evan Peters) love interest, and Dot — one of Paulson’s conjoined-twin personas — “has it out for [her] right away,” per Murphy.

* You might want to re-watch that title sequence, as Murphy notes it’s full of clues about what’s to come this season. (He even says the “intersex” character, the one with the leg where its gennies should be, “could appear.”)

* Murphy says Matt Bomer’s appearance in Episode 5 is two-fold: a seven-page encounter with Michael Chiklis, which Murphy describes as “a true horror scene,” followed by another part opposite Finn Wittrock. Murphy says he presented the character to Bomer as being “really f—ed up,” which sealed the deal for the White Collar star. One last clue? While on set, Bomer apparently said the whole experience had a “demented Tennessee Williams” feel. Go on, place your best guess.

American Horror Story: Freak Show premieres Wednesday at 10/9c on FX.

Your thoughts on the upcoming season? What are you most excited to see? Browse new Freak Show photos, then drop your hopes and fears in the comments section below.

1. Jen says:

Last season could have been great but instead ended up disappointing. I am cautiously optimistic for this season…it looks great! Plus, I’ve always been scared of clowns so I know at least one part of this show will creep me out.

• Tee says:

I must be th only person on earth who liked the last season. Season one was okay, but I started to wonder who many damn ghosts were I that house. Season two was too intense, and I wanted to say wtf with the aliens and the scared out of her mind wife and the hippy pro-alien sister wife. I enjoyed season three, because there was a humor to it, and I felt the acting was great, despite the comical intersecting storylines. This season sees to be a blend of the first two seasons, and that clown scares me. And I’m sorry but Evan Peters as a smarmy lobster man does nothing for me. I prefer him as the heroic alien abducted, instead of the ghostly teen school shooter, Frankenfratboy, or guy with his digits fused together.

2. Tai says:

I always fall into the trap of being really excited for this show in the beginning but disappointed by the end. I’m on the fence about whether I want to invest in this season. I’ll probably give it one more go just because Matt Bomer and Wes Bentley. Maybe it’ll be better this season. Maybe…

• Jen says:

Excited in the beginning and then disappointed by the end is Ryan Murphy in a nutshell. Just ask any Glee fan (or former fan).

3. abz says:

Not that I mind seeing Jessica Lange sing, but why would she be singing Lana Del Rey? Isn’t the season supposed to be based in the 1950s or something?
    Aside from that I’m so excited. I hope the writers actually thought out and planned this season well. Last season had a great start, but kinda fell way off track toward the end. I still enjoyed it for the most part, but it definitely could have been better with more planning ahead. Looking forward to the new season. Can’t wait to see Sarah Paulson with the two heads and Matt Bomer as well.

4. John Vos says:

Does this make Emma Roberts the supreme? now that she can talk to the dead

5. Isabel says:

I really hpoe this season actually lives up to the hype and my own expectaions. Last season had promise but I became really bored with it by the end. I did like that it was said that people will actually stay dead when they die this season. I’ve high hopes for this year!

6. Dana says:

I don’t watch it, it doesn’t really appeal to me, however I will most definitely watch the episode with Matt Bomer!

7. Jared says:

Cant wait for tonights premiere!

8. Ouija watch online says:

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info approximately this subject for a long time
    and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far. However, what about
    the bottom line? Are you positive about the source?

9. jodee says:

Coven was by far the most boring season so far. They nearly lost me after that one but Freak Show is amazing so far. Can’t wait to see the rest of the season!