Fall TV Preview

Supernatural Boss on 'More Personal' Season 10, Sam & Cas' Search for Dean

Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers

It’s not the end of the world, but things are still pretty dire when Supernatural returns Tuesday (The CW, 9/8c).

With Dean now a demon, and Sam on a quest to find and save him through whatever means necessary, Season 10 features a sometimes dark, “much more personal road,” executive producer Jeremy Carver reveals. To that end, many of the characters — not just the Winchesters — will ask themselves, “Am I my own worst enemy?”

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites, Including Supernatural

Below, the EP previews the season’s “slower build,” the state of Dean and Sam’s brotherly bond and Cas’ own search for his friend.

TVLINE | In the trailer, it looks like Jensen Ackles is having such a ball playing demon Dean. What’s it been like for you in the writers’ room, taking this really well-established character and showing off a different side of him?
It’s been a lot of fun. It’s actually more careful than it seems… Some of the darker things that demon Dean does [are] fun to write but a little bit wince-inducing, because demon Dean is certainly darker than regular Dean… There’s always this worry of, “Oh, my goodness, is Dean really doing this?” But of course, it’s demon Dean. It’s liberating in one sense, and a little bit nerve-inducing in the other.

TVLINE | You also have Sam doing some dark stuff, including torturing a demon for answers. How dark is Sam going to go to save Dean – or to find him, should I say?
It’s actually a little bit of both. He goes even darker than [that scene].

TVLINE | Dean and Sam are both doing questionable things. Are they their own Big Bad this season?
That’s an excellent question. It’s certainly a big part of the beginning of the season. In many ways, not just Sam and Dean, but some of our other bigger characters as well, are all having to come to terms with their badness, as it were – or frankly, their lack of. All of our major characters this year are taking very personal journeys [about] what they need to really come to terms with, who they are, and that’s going to force certain decisions to be made that maybe they don’t want to make or certain moves or certain bad things that they have do, or frankly, good things. The question, “Am I my own worst enemy?” is certainly a possible theme you could put to the season. You just cracked it!

VIDEO Supernatural Premiere Sneak Peek: Dean Gets Frisky… In Whose Bed?!

Supernatural Season 10 SpoilersTVLINE | In terms of the arc of the season, is there also an external, new enemy that they have to face? Or will all of their problems stem from themselves?
It’s a little bit of both. I will say that this season does not have the end-of-the-world mythology that we’ve had in seasons past, in terms of the Big Bad who’s going to destroy the Earth or whatever. It’s a much more personal road everyone is going on. As a result, it’s a bit of a slower build. I’m not saying it’s an uninteresting build; it’s actually really interesting. We’ll be introducing, over the course of the season, characters that are very, very, very personal to our main characters, and that’s all going to start to snowball into, “You are who you are,” and having to deal with all this and drawing some lines. Of course, there’ll be Bigger Bads that emerge, but the central focus of the season is really on these personal arcs.

TVLINE | Are those new characters monsters and demons or human characters?
A little of everything.

TVLINE | What will Dean and Sam’s personal journey as brothers be like? Things are downright violent between them in the trailer.
Right. What do you do when you discover your brother has become a demon? The first decision Sam makes, which we’ve already teased, is, “I’m going to save him from this.” That leads Sam to do questionable things, which leads each brother to question who the bigger monster is. And then what do you do once you get your brother back? What is the aftereffect of such an experience? That pretty much sends them into the rest of the season: How do we deal with this now? It’s a topsy-turvy road that the brothers are on in terms of, what do you do in the wake of having become something pretty awful? We’ve dealt with that before in very different ways. I think we’re dealing with it in different ways this year.

RELATED Supernatural’s Jensen Ackles Previews Demon Dean’s Wild Ways

TVLINE | Both you and Jensen have talked about how it’s still Dean in there, just with a twisted soul. When Dean says and does the things that he does as a demon, how does that affect Sam, emotionally and mentally? Does he take it personally?
There’s no question he does. It’s a question of what he chooses to do with that. What do you do when your brother or family member is clearly not in their right mind and they say things? And of course, the things that are more true hurt the most. How you choose to react to it, that’s the question. That is a question we have Sam asking himself.

Supernatural Season 10 SpoilersTVLINE | What about Cas’ reaction to Dean’s new state? Are we going to get to see him interacting with demon Dean?
Yes, we will. Sam and Cas are both on the search for Dean when the season opens. They’re doing it in very different ways, for reasons that are explained in the opener. Cas has a very heavy investment in Dean’s welfare, as always.

TVLINE | Is there still a strong bond between Dean and Castiel? Or is it tested?
The bond is strong between Cas and Dean.

1. alistaircrane says:

I certainly hope they have toned down the angel mythology for Season 10 (or better yet, eliminated it). It was tough to get through Season 9 because the angels hijacked the show. I miss the good old days when the boys travelled the country hunting monsters from folklore and legends.

• Thanks, allstaircrane. Now I know I’m not the only one out here who feels this way. Dean’s Mark of Cain storyline was the only reason I watched S9. I miss the good old days too.

• Charles says:

See, I totally disagree. I love seeing the angel mythology alongside the human storyline. The “monster of the week” format got old and redundant very quickly, and we definitely would not be reaching ten seasons if the show hadn’t expanded and evolved. Jeremy Carver has even said that next to the brothers, Cas is the biggest reason for the show’s success. I have to say I agree with him. He’s added such a depth to the show and I love seeing him interact with Dean and Sam. He’ll be around for the long haul, even if the angel storyline is wrapped up, because he’s family now.

Of course, I’ve seen you comment all over the place and you seem to say the same three negative things over and over, but I’m pleased to know that the majority of viewers don’t feel the same.

• alistaircrane says:

I’m sorry that’s how you feel. And actually, most viewers do prefer the Monster of the Week format. That’s what made the show a hit in the first place. Not sure why you feel the need to bash and berate people who disagree with you, Charles.

• maria says:

“And actually, most viewers do prefer the Monster of the Week format.”

You have no solid proof of that.

• Charles says:

Sorry, Alistair, but I don’t know a single viewer (in my personal or fandom life) who prefers Monster of the Week. If the show hadn’t evolved, it would have ended years ago – or been cancelled, sadly. I wasn’t bashing, either, just offering my opinion.

• Luciano Coppini says:

I kind of agree with both of you. I love monster of the week episodes but my favorite episodes are the storydriven ones. I know “filler” episodes are important as it is what made and keeps on making SPN an amazing show. I do agree that they should slow down (NOT ELIMINATE), the angel demon storyline and focus abit more on the brothers. I strongly believe this season is going to rock!

• Tracy says:

I didn’t hear Charles bash or berate anyone! I also think you may be incorrect about people preferring the monster of the week format…I loved seasons 1- 3 but I wouldn’t return to them. I prefer the overall mythology and the way the show has evolved and that includes the angels!

• Robbin Dilger says:

Thank You Charles. I agree. For with the monsters it did get old…yet when you mix an Angel and Demon…well there is gonna be a good fight. I love and am faithful fan.

• Rick says:

The angels didn’t hijack the show – there is plenty of room on the show for multiple characters, and honestly, I’m getting a little tired of endless bro angst. I really like the ensemble feel with Dean, Sam, Cas, and Crowley. It feels a lot more fresh than if they just gave us season 1-3 on repeat. Those seasons were great, but no thanks – I couldn’t imagine 10 seasons on MOTW.

• alistaircrane says:

Hey buddy, go back and rewatch Season 9 and then try to tell me the angels didn’t hijack the show. They were in almost every episode. There were hardly any Monster of the Week episodes, and they didn’t introduce any new monsters from folklore or urban legend (and believe me, there are still plenty of creatures and supernatural phenomenon to explore). Seasons 1-3 were the greatest and I want the show to go back to what made it so good in the first place.

• maria says:

“Seasons 1-3 were the greatest ”
          You bruddas-only fans are all about the opinion as fact, LOL.

• Katie says:

allstaircrane, the show you want to watch ended six years ago. Might be time to move on.

• Rick says:

From a storytelling perspective, seasons 1-3 were not that strong. They definitely weren’t the greatest, either – it’s just gotten better with each season, and a lot of that is thanks to the angel/demon plotlines and big myth arcs. I’m glad they didn’t have a lot of MOTW episodes – those are never very satisfying, they usually feel like filler to me.

• Uschi Zobel says:

So please rewatch seasons 1-3 over and over and forget the following seasons, but don’t imply everyone thinking like you.
          MOTW were great but they don’t do for more than 200 episodes! I love them as fillers, but everyone I speak to about the show loves the extended storyline and the interaction between the brothers and Cas.

• Tracy says:

I own all nine seasons and just watched them all again to get ready for season ten and I don’t think the angels hijacked the show. Yes, we saw the angels and they helped drive the storyline but the show was still about Sam and Dean. The only thing I really ddn’t like about season 9 was the killing of Kevin Tran and that is just because I liked the character…I understood why they did it. Maybe you should try to enjoy the show as it is….

• I’m in total agreement about the bro angst. In a real family there might be the same sort of tensions, but they aren’t endlessly talking about it. After a few rounds of back and forth, whatever gives gives and the rest just simmers beneath the surface and causes issues.

• Mo says:

One of these days I may read the comments on aTVLine article about Supernatural without seeing this same comment from alistaircrane. However, today is not that day.

Seriously, I’ve been seeing the same complaints from the same handful of people since before I even watched the show.

• Charles says:

Right, Mo? So tired of hearing alistaircrane complaining about the same thing over and over when the showrunners/producers/everyone else obviously enjoys the angel storyline. I love it – Cas has added so much to the show and he works so well with Sam and Dean.

• alistaircrane says:

No, not everyone else enjoys the angels storyline, and that is something you need to wrap your head around. It’s sad that you feel the need to bash me and anyone else who disagrees with you. The world does not revolve around you, Charles. Stop being so mean. And especially stop trying to tell people to “be quiet” just because you don’t like what we have to say.

• Charles says:

I’m not being mean, Alistair, I am allowed to express irritation that you post the same comment on every single SPN article and most of the responses are telling you that they disagree with you. That alone tells me that most people don’t feel like you do, that the show was “the best” in 1-3 and “no one likes the angels”. The show ratings alone disprove this, as well as countless other things. What I don’t like is the fact that you yourself argue with anyone else who has a different opinion, yet you try to point blame anywhere but yourself. Hm.

And I actually haven’t bashed anyone, thank you.

• alistaircrane says:

You have some nerve, Mo. You don’t like that I don’t share your opinion and you think I should just shut up about it. Here’s a thought: No way! I am well within my rights to voice my dissatisfaction with the show. If you can’t handle it, you need to get off the internet.

• lythea says:

You can certainly voice your dissatisfaction with the show, and we can certainly express our annoyance at your small-minded repetitiveness. It works both ways, my dear.

• alistaircrane says:

Absolutely. I never said you couldn’t. You’re the one trying to stop me from speaking.

• Mo says:

I never said you weren’t allowed to share your opinion and I never said you “should just shut up about it.” I was just stating my observation that as long as I’ve been reading the articles about this show on this site (which was probably about 2 years before I actually started watching it) the same opinions/complaints have been showing up from the same small group of people. Your user name has consistently been in that group. In fact, I don’t recall an article in recent memory in which this user name hasn’t made a post (or multiple posts) stating: 1) the angel storyline should just be over already, 2) the show should go back to its MOTW roots, and 3) the brothers are all we need. I am actually rather amused that any article about Supernatural (not just on this site) seems to eventually turn into some sort of comment war between bros-only and Team Free Will superfans. Also the Destiel fans, but I’m not as familiar with their user names, only their comments.

So please, comment away. Share your dissatisfaction. It doesn’t bother me & never has. As long as you’re not spreading hate (and having a differing opinion is not the same thing) you just go ahead exercising your right to freedom of speech. And I will do the same.

• Laura says:

Ugh! I am sick of the Demon stuff. I wish the show would go back to solving a new case each week. Don’t think I will even bother now…

• Mark says:

monster of the week is so repetitive, though – I don’t think I’d be nearly as emotionally invested if they went back to the old format. Might not even bother watching it live – that gets dull.

• Tracy says:

Allstaircrane, I disagree! The monster of the week shows were fun but they could not have carried the show for ten seasons nor could they have given us the kind of epic battles that Sam and Dean have fought – for the world and for each other! We needed to get beyond the monster of the week stuff for the show to really develop and I’m glad Kripke, Singer, Carver etc. were smart enough to see that and brave enough to risk it!

• RReg says:

Isn’t there room for everyone? How many monsters exist that could have this show on for 10 years given that the brothers usually kill them all? The angels are definitely a god sent :-). The only arc that I think was crap was the Leviathan arc.
      Without Cas to pull the bros out of a pickle time and time again, there would be no bros. So kindly leave Cas alone.

• blahblah says:

I liked how the first three seasons were written. I also enjoy a good story arc, but what I don’t like is the angel-centric of the show (I do like Cas and Crowley), at least the episodes I’ve been watching lately. I’ve never been a big fan of when a show reaches a point when I’m stuck saying “really? really?” or I’ve started predicting what will happen during the next season. (Summed it up to a friend today; Sam wants to have a normal life. Dean wants to hunt. Sam gets a superpower/mark/whatever so he’s the key to saving/destroying everything. Dean tries to protect Sam. Sam/Dean dies/sent to hell/etc at end.) I’d like to see a bit more of what the earlier ones had, or just something different to happen. Season 10 seems to be, based on what I’ve read so far.

2. I am so excited to see Bad Demon Dean.

3. Can’t wait to see more of Cas, Sam, and Dean’s journey whether it be as Team Free Will or having to face their own struggles. The concept of building your own family is such a great one, lets see more Charlie, Jody and find a way to bring Kevin back from the veil too! Family isn’t just about blood, just like Bobby said.

Love the Angels story line, can’t have demons without angels :)

• alistaircrane says:

Yes you can have demons without angels. Go back and watch Seasons 1-3!

• No the angels were still around we just didn’t see them until season 4. You can not have evil without good and vice versa.

• alistaircrane says:

LOL! Now you’re trying to retcon the angels into being around in the first few seasons? Honey, no. The angels weren’t on the show back then and that’s why the first three seasons are the best.

• Leona says:

Dude. We get it. You don’t like the angels. That’s cool. However, a lot of us are big fans of Cas and Misha’s not going anywhere. The showrunners love him, the writers love him, the execs know the sort of pull his fans have. So just do what us Casfans do when a MotW ep with no Cas shows up, either choose to tune out that week or just accept it and enjoy what you enjoy in the ep while ignoring what you don’t. :)

I think a mix of the myth arc heavy eps and MotW is balanced and works well, personally. I generally prefer the myth arc eps but some MotW is nice to give us a break from the angst/heavier stuff. And some of my fav eps are the meta/crack/humor eps which are more MotW. So yeah, mixed bag. Something for everyone. Let’s all just deal with the fact that the fanbase is varied and we all like, and get, different things from the show. :)

• Nope, never retconned anything just said that just because we didn’t see everything doesn’t mean things don’t happen “off screen” as it were. Plus in storytelling you cannot have only chaos there has to be something to push back against it. Sam and Dean always said that the demon’s were bigger then they were used to dealing with in the beginning. So basically, out of their league at the time. Something else had to push against the demons and the traditional thing that pushes against demons are angels.

The first 3 seasons were good – a good building block for something more complex and layered. I get that you don’t like that storyline, and that’s fine, but try only to speak for yourself when saying others don’t like it. Because, as you can see, more people like it then you think my dear,

• Charles says:

Definitely can’t wait to see what’s next for Team Free Will – they’re the heart of the show for me.

4. I am so looking forward to Demon Dean and the new twist where it’s Cas and Sam having to come to Dean’s aid, rather than the other way around. I just hope they don’t end this all after just a few episodes.

5. I’m both – excited and scared to death. This show is going to give me a heart attack this season, whatever. Can’t wait to see Dean, darker Sam and I’m interested in Castiel and Hannah story.

6. katie says:

Thank you much for the interview and addressing the question I sent to Ask Ausiello about Cas and Dean interacting. I’m so excited about season 10! (Even though I’m a little sad about Sam being darker because I really like prefer my Sammy a little lighter. But overall, no complaints.) I think this season is going to be great!

7. “The bond is strong between Cas and Dean.” and i swear…. at this moment, all the destiel shippers died
    cause of death: DESTIEL

• Charles says:

Even though I don’t really ship anything on the show, I really love the bond between Dean and Cas. Their dynamic is incredible and I hope they interact more this season. They do have a very profound bond.

• Mo says:

Same here. Not a shipper of anything (except my otp Dean/pie) but I love the dynamic between Dean & Cas, and I love the completely different dynamic between Sam & Cas. Looking forward to seeing more of both.

• Charles says:

Yeah, I love seeing Cas intereact with the Winchesters – he’s family now, after all, so I hope they explore that and let Cas work with the boys more this season. He cares about those two so much – it’s awesome.

• Leona says:

From both your mouths to Carver’s ears! I do ship it and would love to see a more romantic thing go canon (and no, it wouldn’t change the show to have that happen. I don’t want a schmoopy romance, I want SPN. It’d change very little about the show if done right, IMO. #inbeforewank) BUT even if that never happens, I love the platonic Profound Bond thing they’ve got.

They are both so lonely and lost so often… and have such a respect and understanding for one another. They’ve screwed up the same ways, for similar reasons, so they have this empathy there. This season really showed that in the few eps they had screen time together, I think. Dean did some growing, emotionally, and I feel like he’d gotten less apt to *really* blow up at Cas. And Cas is just… Cas. Dean is so important to him and he *gets* him.

They both desperately need that, I think. Someone who gets them and who is steadfast. Dean has Sam, but family can be rife with complications and angst (examples: all the show, ever) and it’s just a different dynamic. I hope Hannah can be a friend/sister to Cas and support him, too. He needs all the support he can get, IMO. Poor lonely Cas. :C But I don’t think anyone really hits him where he lives like Dean does.

My best friends supports me in a way my family doesn’t. We have a deep relationship that benefits from the lack of complications of family/blood ties and all that history that can twist you into knots. That sort of deep friendship is part of what I see (and love) in Dean/Cas.

And I agree, I loved the Sam and Cas interaction this past season. Glad I was finally able to forgive Sam for that Cas hug denial way back in Season 6. LOL. ;) I would love to see Sam also have some friendships outside of Dean. Sam is another lonely character, IMO, and he deserves more support, too. Especially now with Dean basically gone. :C I liked him and Kevin as buddies and I like him and Cas bonding. :)

Pardon my novel. I love all the boys (and the ladies! woooo more Charlie and Jody Mills, plz) and have strong feelings about having them have good, strong support and friendships while the whole dang world collapses around them. Again. :c

• Oh, my god, yes! So excited! Dean/Cas has been neglected for the past season. I hope it gets more of a chance to shine in season 10. Love subtext, but subtext isn’t enough. We need to actually see these characters together and not constantly kept apart.

8. rosa says:

I don’t belive you Carver.

9. Rick says:

I’m really glad to hear Carver say the bond is strong between Cas and Dean. Their friendship is pretty amazing .Team Free will is the reason why I’m still emotionally invested in this show, and as long as Dean, Sam, and Cas are around until the bitter end, I’m sticking with it.

10. whiterose says:

I can’t wait for the boys more personal journey together. This has always been the crux of the show. Keeping it more human based has always been the unique twist on the Supernatural story. Jensen and Jared always rock it when they deal with Sam and Deans personal journey together so I can’t wait for that. I’m so glad the angels has taken a back seat, I can’t even remember half of their storyline anyhow so its good its not a focus or atleast it doesn’t seem to be for Sam and Dean’s story arc. More Team Winchester please, more focus on the brothers as a team and family. The Winchester arc is such an interesting one with the MoL and John and Mary I hope we get to explore more of that personal journey with the boys. Bring on S10

• Charles says:

See, I love the angel arc and how it fits in with the story of the Winchesters. Even if the angel arc did end, Cas would obviously still be around, because is definitely a part of the family now. Dean even said so, and Dean does not take family lightly. Give me all the Team Free Will this season – those three are the heart of the show for me.

• alistaircrane says:

That’s great for you, but many of us hate the angels arc. Don’t be so selfish!

• wow201102 says:

Wait…I’m confused. How is it selfish for someone to state the obvious fact that Castiel, who is part of the main cast, is still going to be around on the show, even if they end the angel arc

• Tracy says:

If you read through the comments here you will see that most people like Cas and they are okay with the angels. If you hate them then fine but you shouldn’t act as though everyone agrees with you when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Also, maybe you should try posting something new instead of saying the same thing over and over…you repeating yourself won’t make people believe you or agree with you! It mostly just makes you sound young, spoiled and lacking a life!

• alistaircrane says:

I agree with you. I wish we’d get a “back to basics” season where the focus is JUST on Sam and Dean. Give Castiel his own spinoff or just get rid of him, I don’t care. Sam and Dean need to travel the US in the Impala killing monsters. The overall season arc could be the search for John and Mary’s souls. I am full Team Winchester as well and it’s sad how the angels, especially Cas, have ruined such a great show.

• Mo says:

Have you forgotten the mess that was Season 7? True, they didn’t have the Impala for most of that season, but Cas was MIA for nearly the entire season, and they stated in all the pre-season promos that they were “stripping away” everything to put the focus back on just Sam & Dean and “back to basics” and all that. They got rid of Bobby’s place so they didn’t have a home base/supernatural library to rely on any more. Unfortunately, they also got rid of Bobby (back to basics! he wasn’t around at the beginning anyway!) The leviathan stuff was promising at the beginning, and just silly at the end. And I found the season unnecessarily angsty, because once they got rid of everything but the brothers, they had nothing left to do with them but make them fight. I actually kind of like your idea about the boys searching for John & Mary’s souls, but I can’t see how that could sustain an entire season.

11. “The bond is strong between Cas and Dean.” AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Thank you Jeremy Carver for this wonderful quote. Literally the first and only thing we’ve heard all summer and I’m so happy because it comes from THE man. I hope you deliver, Carver. I really do. I want to see the profound bond stronger than ever! Don’t hold back on your story about love, heartbreak, and love. After the heartbreak, we need to feel the second kind of love! *winks*

12. nytraveller says:

Sam and Dean are the heart and soul of this show I can’t wait to see how they handle this new journey. This story is so unique, brothers that will do anything for each other and damn anything that is in their way. Jensen and Jared are going to win awards for this because they shine when the focus is on their respective characters and making it personal.

13. Rick says:

Can’t wait to see what’s next for Dean, Sam, and Cas – those three ARE the show for me. Can’t imagine SPN without Team Free Will!

• Rick says:

Uh, not really sure why you’re trying to convince me otherwise, seeing as I love the three of them. Seasons 1 through 3 were definitely not the best, IMHO. Season 4 was when I went from being a casual viewer to a fan, and I haven’t looked back since. You might not think he adds anything, but you definitely do not speak for me or anyone else I know. I don’t want just a Sam and Dean focus – give me an awesome ensemble any day.

• GIa says:

Just ignore him, Rick – he’s a troll and very small-minded when it comes to our show. There’s plenty of room for more than just 2 characters and thank god! I love Castiel just as much as Sam and Dean, like a lot of people.

14. Gia says:

Love the Winchesters, love the angels (ESPECIALLY Cas), love the friendship between TFW, love the thought of demon!Dean, can’t wait to see Cas and Sam help save Dean.. bring on Tuesday!

15. GlitteryGoldBastard says:

Blah blah blah, Carver said much the same stuff before season 9, and none of that panned out. He’s a carnival barker promising the most beautiful mermaids, but the only thing in the tent is a dead monkey sewn to a deader fish.

Said we were going to see angels less as a monolithic force, and more individuals and they were gonna ‘dig deeply’ into them, but the angels were literally never more like sheep than they were in S9.

He said we were going to get character-driven, multi-layered storytelling, and there were some episodes that didn’t even qualify as single-layer. And the characters were unrecognizable much of the time.

He promised to reveal new layers to the characters…well, Dean was retconned into a sexual predator in 9×08, that was a new layer, I guess. New layers would suggest building upon previous characterization, not slathering over them to cover what we already know, making characters unrecognizable.

They promised a big secret from Dean’s past would be revealed in 9×07, and we got nothing of import.

Carver said S9 was about choice, and characters choosing who they want to be, despite the fact that NONE of the characters (except Metatron and Abaddon) actually had any real choice for pretty much the whole season.

He promised a lot of ‘juicy options’ for ‘contenders for the throne’, but what we ended up with was a mostly ignored Abaddon, Crowley with a damn redemption arc, and Metatron being a douche. There was no real power struggle or threat.

He said Cas’s human arc lasted a long time and that he experienced the best of humanity, despite the fact that he spent his entire time as a human (all three episodes) being homeless, hungry, abused, exploited, rejected and tortured, not a damn nice thing happened to him as a human. His ‘humanity’ was spent on the desperate edge of survival, and all they did was make a lot of bathroom jokes about it. And objectify the woman he unwittingly raped.

They retconned the Reapers into angels just so they could bring back another female character and kill her (and they were all out of lady angels, so they had to make another species Actually Angels All Along). There was literally no other reason, it didn’t serve the plot in any way. They’ve also apparently decided on the Creation Myth/Eden being literal, despite the ‘Big plans for that fish’, wherein it was established that evolution happened, etc.

And he killed one of SPN’s few PoC characters just so a white boy could be slightly sadder than normal.

Dead monkey on a dead fish.

• alistaircrane says:

Carver wrote some of the best episodes of SPN during his first stint on the show. But he is a horrible showrunner! The same was true of Sera Gamble. Now that Revolution has been cancelled, Eric Kripke needs to take back his show.

• ninamags says:

Agree with most of your post, GGB.

• Symphany says:

Hey man, you talk so much! But Carver said that Season 9 would be all about “Consequences”, NOT Choices! If you recall Carver mentiones at the 2013 ComicCon that Season 9 would be about dealing with the consequences in result to the Season 8 Final! Just Enjoy the Ride in Season 10!

16. Ursula says:

The personal journey stuff sounds a lot better than a conventional supernatural big bad, to be honest. I’m really looking forward to it. Hey, show us different sides of characters like Sam and Dean, and Cas and Crowley, and I want them to grow.

LOVE the angel arc, too. “Cas has a very heavy investment in Dean’s welfare, as always.”

He always had Too Much Heart. <3

17. Jill says:

The bond is strong between Cas and Dean. Mhm, yeah, then PROVE IT, CARVER. Last season was a fricking tragedy. Season 8 was so great for them. WE WANT OUR PROFOUND, AWKWARD, TENSE, AND HEARTWARMING BOND BACK!!

18. alistaircrane says:

And just like clockwork, if there’s a Supernatural post where someone speaks negatively of the angels, the creepy Cas brigade comes out of the woodwork to bash their enemies.

• taran63 says:

And just like clockwork, if there’s a Supernatural post where someone speaks positively of the angels, alistaircrane comes out of the woodwork to bash his enemies.

• alistaircrane says:

Wrong. Scroll up: I was the first person to comment on this thread. The Cas/angel fans came here to bash me. I replied to their/your posts after you/they started attacking me.

• nigaki@op.pl says:

And you’re attacking them too with message like this: ‘You don’t need to imagine it. Go back Seasons 1-3, the best seasons. Castiel adds nothing to the show. In fact, just the opposite. He takes away from the Sam/Dean focus.’ You want people to leave your opinion. Well, leave their opinion too, especially if it’s not directed to you. You like first three season, fine but don’t bash peaople for liking angel’s story and TFW.

• GIa says:

You said it, Taran! I love how Alistair tries to act like he’s the victim when *gasp* someone dares to have a different favorite character than him. Cas is awesome, the angels are badass, and the show is not ever going back to 1-3. It’s just not, and I’m glad for that, because it’s just gotten better every year.

• Symphany says:

Relax ALLSTAIRCRANE! This site is open to anyone, and everyone to comment. Take It Easy Man! Don’t think of it too Much. By the Way, Don’t you Just Love The Cas/and Dean Bromance! And that Sexy Demon Dean! Look, Supernatural is a Sci-Fi. Therefore, the elements of adding Angels, Demons fits the plot! And if the show is running for 10 years, its for a reason! The whole killing Monsters, is Great. Don’t get me wrong! But inorder for the show to continue its success, After Season 3, things had to change! Which includes adding twists, and new characters! So let go of the past, and get ready To Enjoy that Sexy Demon Dean!

19. emilyhall898 says:

This article has me ridiculously excited. I love hearing that the major characters will go on a personal journey of sorts, and who knew the phrase “Their bond is strong” could reduce me to such an emotional mess?

I’m very curious about the demon Dean SL, and how that will play out. And, of course, any angel SL development is welcomed by me – definitely one of my favourite elements of the show, by far. So overall this interview has me pretty intrigued. I hope the show delivers on this.

20. Seeing how dark and broody Dean normally is, I think it would it be funny for there to be one entire episode where no one notices the change with Demon Dean .

• angelgirl803 says:

He’s dark & broodt because he feels guilty about everything. Demon Dean should be carefree, sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll, without the guilt. Can’t wait.

And ugh, why does everyone argue. Such small factions: monster of the week vs. Angels. I’d argue the majority actually enjoys both. Jesus Christ, quit your bitching, and let us enjoy our show. Bugger off if you don’t like it.

• Symphany says:

Hell Yeah! So Totally agree with You! Lets Enjoy Supernatural! I am ready to see Demon Dean In action! Let the Show Begin!

21. maria says:

The bond is strong. Oh Carver, we’re not falling for that BS after last season.

• nigaki@op.pl says:

I think their bond was pretty strong in season 9. I mean, Cas made Dean smile and know something was wrong with him the second he saw him. Not to mention the moment when Dean was telling Sam it’s dictator ship from now and the second he talked to Cas he became calm and suddenly wanted to team up. Sure, they were separated a lot but they don’t have to be in one room to show their bond.

• Louise says:

I do love that even when the mark was destroying Dean, Castiel was still able to make him smile. He also gave up an army for one man.

22. Dan says:

Can’t wait to real Dean come back!

YES, Sammy! Please, to whatever it takes! <3

23. norma says:

destieeeeel..? <3

24. Robbin Dilger says:

I couldn’t agree more. I will forever still love the show though.

25. Robbin Dilger says:

I am sssooo looking forward to this season. And Lord love Bobby. And all the past music. Wish the would make a CD.

• Tracy says:

Robbin, the show has a CD but it is the original instrumental used in the show rather than the classic rock. If you want the classic rock go to itunes….that’s where I’ve gotten the stuff I didn’t already own.

26. Robbin Dilger says:

ENOUGH WITH THE COMMERCIALS!!!!
    COME ON…….. I WANT MORE MOOSE AND DEAN …. NOT WHAT TO BUY.!!!!!

27. Christine says:

I just come to read the comments :) So much bickering.

• Mo says:

I know, right? Every article, every time. I should just make some popcorn & settle in.

The only other fandom I ever saw around here with anything close to this level of bickering was Gossip Girl. *sniffs nostalgically*

• Christine says:

I bet if this site existing back in the X-Files heyday, the Mulder/Scully shippers vs. nonshippers bickering would have made the site explode

28. Adrian says:

There are some characters i cant get tired of seeing…golden roles plus how they executed it all i’d definitely wanna see mo of them..the likes of crowley, cas..and garth too :)

29. Jean Carter says:

There is only a few shows i didnt like and that was when ghost facers where on except the obe in season 9 that one was better. I love the idea of heaven and hell tring to prove who is best to take over. Also i didnt care for meditron not at all i was so wishing dean took him out. Love the show i have bought all seasons on dvd and i have watched them about 7 times cant wait for season 10 to come out on dvd i hope there are plenty more after 10

30. Tracy says:

I love the bond and the friendship between Dean and Cas so I’m looking forward t seeing more of it! Loved the preview of Demon Dean and Crowley…Demon Dean is going to be amazing to watch! Can’t wait to see how we get protector Dean back!

31. spnsucks says:

Should we even count the number of times this has happened to Dean, having to suffer horrific consequences at the hands of loved ones not in their right minds? How many times he was physically beaten by a possessed/mind controlled family member? How he was lied to and manipulated and turned into a vampire by people wearing his loved ones’ faces, but was not allowed by the narrative or the fandom to react because it wasn’t really them? And NOW we are asking the questions, when it’s no longer about Dean, and therefore important.

32. KemoSabe says:

Except for the brothers relationship with Cas, the angels in general have become just a lazy plotline like the Leviathans. Lets be done with Metatron and move on. Perhaps all of the remaining angels can then depart the earth for good leaving Cas behind to defend us and keep Crawley in check. Time to evolve yet again!

33. Frankestein08 says:

I don’t know what y’all nagging about cos apparently if they had continued with demon of the week most of you will get bored & myt ve ditched watching supernatural long ago. it’s good that they expanded supernatural out of the box so that way it’s unpredictable & so far on my part, supernatural has been friggin awesome!!!

34. Henry says:

Personally I do not care much for MotW episodes nor angels vs demons plotlines. Angels have been a huge presence since season 4. Same for demons since season 1. By now we have seen them so much so often that I can’t help but find them boring and mundane. Who would guessed angels and demons could possibly reach that low of a point?

In my opinion, the best they could do (in the relatively unlikely case the show continues) is choose a fresh overarching storyline that involves creatures not related to Judeo-Christian mythology being the big bads. My vote is on fairies. Plenty of both traditional folklore and modern works prove they can be as scary and badass as the biggest, meanest demon (as well as more original and cooler).

If Supernatural plans to continue past this season, it needs a fresh new layer of paint.

35. xae says:

I think the show is awesome i like that its not just one realm or one side of the supernatural world i love how its all sides it adds depth n variety i the show dean sam cas and the IMPALA aka BABY shes the true star keep it up