Fall TV Preview

Originals' Joseph Morgan Talks Klaus and Hayley's 'Struggle,' Revenge Plans

The Originals Season 2 Spoilers

Everyone’s gunning for Klaus when The Originals returns for Season 2 on Monday (The CW, 8/7c), which really puts a damper on a hybrid’s love life.

Both of his parents have returned from the dead for revenge, Francesca and her clan have taken over the Quarter and who only knows what other troubles await the Original and his family.

With so many threats nipping at Klaus’ heels, it sounds like there’s not much time for romance, certainly not any that will end well for either party, star Joseph Morgan reveals below. (Sorry, ‘shippers of all kinds.)

The actor also previews Klaus’ “struggle” with Hayley, his plan for retribution and more.

RELATED Fall TV Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites, Including The Originals

TVLINE | You’ve got Guerra werewolves, the Originals coming back from the dead, a new hybrid in Hayley. How is Klaus juggling everything?
Not well. He’s dropping balls all over the place. [Laughs] It’s tough for him. He’s been in this self-imposed exile in the compound for about four months. He’s struggling with the idea of not taking revenge on those who forced his daughter out of New Orleans. When we find him at the beginning of Season 2, the time has come for them, with the help of some friends, to [put] the plan they have into action and to seek revenge on those people he believes are responsible. He spent the time semi-productive, formulating a plan. Also, a lot of painting, which as we know is his method of control.

TVLINE | Klaus seems to have a million enemies in Season 2. Which is the most threatening?
[His parents are] both threatening in different ways. I couldn’t say because his father was very physically imposing… And his mother is incredibly emotionally manipulative. So they each have their tools that they use to try and get what they want, which, in fact, is where Klaus has learned that. Seeing a little more of the parents and how they to intend to get what they want, we can learn a lot more about Klaus. But I’m not sure which one is the more threatening. It depends which day of the week you catch them on.

TVLINE | Considering how many Originals have been killed off or, in the case of Rebekah, fled town, did you think Klaus would be surrounded by so many of them again?
I always hoped that the show wouldn’t just become The Original, that we would have more family members involved. I think that the idea [is] that they come in and out of the show and affect the lives of the core group. I never know what to predict because the show has so many twists and turns. It’s really a roller coaster.

The Originals Season 2 SpoilersRELATED Vampire Diaries‘ Nina Dobrev Crossing Over to The Originals as [Spoiler]

TVLINE | Speaking of family, what kind of a presence will Rebekah have in the new season?
Klaus teased that she’ll be back at some point, so I’m hoping she’ll have a fairly decent presence. I know that the brothers, they’re balanced nicely by their sister. She’s definitely a presence that they miss. Their dynamic suffers for her absence. I hope she plays a part in their lives and in Season 2, as well.

TVLINE | For all these new enemies, will Klaus be gaining any new allies to balance the scales?
He’s not so good with allies, is he? He doesn’t play well with others. He’s good at temporary allies, like allies for an episode or two and then the old stab-in-the-back or whatever. He works with other people, but there’s no sort of fast ally that he has that’s solid there for him from the beginning to the end. He fluctuates. When it suits him, he allies himself with other people. When it doesn’t, he’s the first one to jump ship.

The Originals Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | How will his relationship with Hayley develop as she pulls away from Elijah?
The three of them are like strangers when we find them. They very much feel the absence of Hope since evacuating her with Rebekah. There’s definitely a frustration there for Klaus, being around her, because she reminds him of what he’s lost. These are two people who really shouldn’t be in each other’s lives, but they have to be because they have a child. Because of that, they’re family, whether they like it or not. They have to learn to find some sort of equilibrium. Elijah and Klaus and Hayley work best when they’re on the same team, but it’s just very hard to get them to that place where they all agree on what should be done. It’s a struggle for him and for her to deal with the shared responsibility of this new being.

TVLINE | Could Klaus and Hayley ever turn romantic? Or are Klaus and Elijah so over being in love with the same girl?
No, I don’t think that will ever happen.

TVLINE | Is there any romance in store for Klaus then? Perhaps with Cami?
I don’t think so. I don’t know. I hope not for Cami’s sake because he seems to destroy anyone that has any potential of getting close to him. He sabotages that relationship. They self-destructed in that way. So I don’t know of any love interests for him. But if there are, I’m sure it won’t end very well.

TVLINE | Klaus made a very memorable visit to Mystic Falls last season. Is Caroline on his mind at all?
Not that I know of.

1. Dennis says:

when’s Rebekah returning

2. Laura says:

LOL..Klayley will happen. It’s only a matter of time. Its ok Joseph, its ok. We understand you and Phoebe have to deny it to avoid hate, but Klayley will happen. Its all developing beautifully

• dan says:

You are 100% delusional, this show is about the family not a pathetic love story…. Joseph gave you the truth but you can’t accept it, Phobe also thinks they will never become romantic so the jokes on you when they never do get together….

3. Jenn says:

I want to believe that this show is going to get better. TVD was absolutely horrible last night and TO is my last hope of this “universe” retaining any appeal whatsoever. I’m glad that they’re not focusing on romance for Klaus, no matter who it’s with. I’m still irritated by this baby nonsense, but whatever. At least they listened to us enough to realize that “hey, this show should probably have more Originals in it”.

• veepster says:

YES at least one member of the cast/crew who is aware of how stupid it was to have a show about the originals and have 2 originals (even though both are completely OCC). And not sure how much i believe him about the romance thing it´s good they are not doing klayley because we have had 5 season of brothers in love with mary sue over at tvd and nobody wants to see that anymore.

4. poppy says:

hahaha…JM destroyed the hopes of those delusional KH shippers who’re thinking that they both are kindred spirits.well KH was nothing but ONS….lmao…i can’t stand you anymore JM but four for you :P

• Daenerys says:

Which hope has he destroyed ? We are doing really good don’t worry for us our hope will never end like that we know what we have in mind and we are confident , just because JM think that doesn’t mean klayley will never happen it’s not like he was the writer sorry to disappoint you ahaha #KlayleyIsEndgame 😗😗😗

• James says:

Delusional KH shippers? You kcers have been told many times that your ship is over and Joseph said Klaroline was just a fling and you made every excuse not to believe that

• Julia says:

Actually he never said Caroline was just a fling. He did say Hayley was just a one night stand though, but hey, whatever suits you. ;)

• youdontgetit says:

At least they’re on the same show and are in each others lives unlike some others..I’m not a shipper but when Klaroline shippers of all people try to get on their high horse it is just so ridiculous.

• zodo121 says:

that’s true, also klaus did say “He was your first love i intend to be the last, however long it takes” this shows that he has very strong feeling for caroline, unlike haley who was just a one night stand which he aslo confirmed.
          the reason i want caroline and klaus to be together is that they both bring out their feeling for each other, but they are scared to admit it. havent you ever noticed that caroline was the first person he cared about apart from his family :) caroline is very confused for her feelings to stefan, but if she ever! does go the the originals the klaroline relationship would be dynamic!!!!! btw if klaroline cant happen i would rather have enzo and caroline together instead of stefan!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ivy says:

I hope it’s better than the terrible TVD season premiere.

6. Hope says:

Elijah and Haley all the way! Klaus has way to many enemies. I like Klaus but not with Haley not a good ideal. And for them to try again that’s the most stupid thing I have heard (referring to the sneak peak) why would you want to put another child thu that. I believe that Elijah and Haley are end game. And I should not read these post because they make me upset. I am a little nervous about season 2 in regards to my couple. But I understand that angst needs to happen and they will tease Klaus and Haley. Why would you want them together. I know its in the past but they had a one night stand he tried to kill her and the baby, wanted to kill her family not to mention that Haley will always be in danger Klaus has to many enemies. Elijah is the one that has always been there for her and they belong together

7. Julia says:

“Klaus made a very memorable visit to Mystic Falls last season. Is Caroline on his mind at all?
    Not that I know of.”
    Well, he better know soon because if Caroline doesn’t cross over I’m gonna give up on this show.

• Camille says:

Amen!

• Yep says:

I might watch for a Caroline crossover, but not sure if even that would be enough to win me back.

• Dani says:

Caroline isn’t crossing over no matter how much sense it would make in order to get viewers to watch this show. The writers are clearly doing whatever they can to kill off Klaroline in order to make Klayley happen. They have always had Klayley in mind from the start. Camille was just a way to ease the transition.

The producers are desperate for a way to make Hayley relevant and they want her with Klaus eventually in order to have her officially leapfrog Rebekah as the main character. It has happened already.

The writers will roll out the ‘unfinished business’ or ‘maybe one day’ lines because they don’t want to lose those Klaroline fans who are still watching in hope that something will come of it. It won’t. They are hoping that those Klaroline fans will somehow see the magic of Klayley.

Klaroline will not happen, no matter what Julie Plec, Joseph Morgan and the rest say. They are desperate for people to forget that Caroline ever existed in his life. They hoped that the baby would do the trick but it just backfired and lost them viewers who didn’t ship and cared about credibility.

If you are watching in hope that you will see Caroline, you are wasting your time and even making that chance worse. Giving them viewers is just playing into their hands. They’ll pull out the Klaroline card when they lose too many viewers and they are desperate but trust that they will only go there when they feel like they have no other choice.

Always remember that actors, writers and producers will lie to the fans in order to get those viewing figures up.

8. Mary Kate says:

I enjoy the Klaus/Cami dynamic. Hope they explore that further, in whatever capacity.

9. Emily says:

I’m glad at least Joseph understands that throwing love interests at Klaus is just a bad idea. Even though I’d love to see Klaroline, it’s just not feasible with where they’ve got his character right now. I wouldn’t want to see them force a dynamic that the show isn’t ready for.

On the other hand…. everything else for this season just seems boring.

Like they’re taking the same exact plots and stories from S1 and telling them all over again.

JM came out and said that there should have been more Originals threaded through the story, and honestly, that’s what viewers were hoping/expecting last year when the show started. Instead, we got the pregnant werewolf diaries. As great as this “Battle For New Orleans” premise is, it got old fast and they need to move away from that. No one cares about a super smelly city block. Give these characters something more to do and put it on a grander scale. These are 1000-year-old monsters that have seen mountains and empires fall. Fighting over Mardi Gras Town seems kind of… silly at this point.

10. jen says:

well at least joseph morgan is self aware unlike the writers… sorry dude if only you didn’t sign a 6 season contract. but hey, there’s a possibility TO won’t last 6 seasons anyway judging by the rather terrible writing.

• more Klayley says:

hit shows last 6 plus seasons, after first season Originals will probably be a bubble show, the show is alright by cw standards so far, bias maybe? Originals rated 8.6 on imdb, extremely high now, majority like. sorry don’t like

11. zed says:

Klayley should happen!!!! They have something so organic! Can’t wait for Esther and Mikael coming to town!

12. more Klayley says:

Love Klayley

13. Molly 27 says:

Meh, wake me up when Caroline shows up!

14. camz says:

I will never give up in hoping for KLAROLINE to happen.. If not

What happened to
    “He was your first love i intend to be the last, however long it takes” ?

15. iris says:

klaus and Caroline make the best couple, he did say he intends to be her last love. They need to be together

16. valerie says:

17. valerie says:

I have not watched a single episode of the originals. the day i start watching this show is the day i hear caroline came to the show. caroline and klaus are great together.

18. B says:

The Originals is a dark show about family. The Originals is a spinoff of The Vampire Diaries. The Originals is darker in tone. It’s first season was excellent and the first season finale set up a promising second season. The second season kept it’s promise. The series has continued to deliver week after week. It’s a show that knows it’s strengths and it’s characters and continues to deliver. The Originals avoid the sophomore slump and is the best series about vampires since Joss Whedon’s BTVS and Angel.

19. The vampire diarys/couple opinion says:

I think that klaus and caroline would make the epic love and the same goes for Damon and Elena maybe even Elijah and Haley but the best I think should be Matt and rebecah she is a truly sweet girl who lost everything a a too young of age but anyway there’s my couple opinion

20. Seva Das says:

I want Caroline and Klaus together !!! >_<

21. relationship teller says:

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE THAT KLAROLINE HAPPENS AND THAT KLAUS GETS BE KIND OF A FATHER AND HAVE A NEUTRAL RELATIONSHIP WITH HAYLEY.BUT HEY THIS IS THE ORIGINALS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE THEIR LIVES ARE NEVER SIMPLE.GOOD LUCK KLAUS AND GOOD LUCK ELIJAH GOOD LUCK HAYLEY AND GOOD LUCK REBECCA ESPECIALLY WITH LEARNING HOW TO CARE OF HER BROTHER’S DAUGHTER.[HOPE]

22. relationship teller says:

LOL SORRY JUST REALISED THAT I SPELT REBEKAH WRONG SORRY PPL

23. fbgngn says:

Of course Caroline should be in his mind!She has to be!!!As for Haley and Elijah i wouldn’t recommend them as couple(there is not enough chemistry),i think that there must be found a way for Elijah to be with Tatia again!I have thoughts about Elena or Katherine too why not?Everyone can be with everyone in this show!!!

24. Acuna123 says:

klaus and caroline HAVE TO GET BACK TOGETHER, there’s no other way. the only reason im going to watch the originals is if they get back together, and it’s the only reason im still watching vampire diaries

25. Klaus&Caroline says:

I will not watch this show unless Caroline is in it.

26. kyra says:

I’m watching all the episodes right now! And I CAN’T WAIT FOR KLAUROLINE!!!!