Post Mortems

John Francis Daley Opens Up About Sweets' Shocking Bones Exit: 'I Feel Like I Lost a Part of Me'

Bones John Francis Daley

Bones pays its final respects to Dr. Lance Sweets in tonight’s episode (8/7c on Fox), and it seems likely that John Francis Daley will be among the millions of fans watching the character’s emotional farewell.

“I had a strong bond with Sweeets,” Daley tells TVLine one week after his alter ego’s onscreen death. “I really did feel like I was losing a part of me. I had so much compassion for him. He was such a good person… He had gone through so much, and to see him die in such a grim way was shocking.”

As TVLine reported, Daley’s burgeoning directing career — he’s currently helming a remake of National Lampoon’s Vacationled The Powers That Be at Bones to kill off Sweets. What did he think of that decision? The actor-auteur tackles that question in the following Q&A. He also opens up about his less-than-ideal last day of shooting, shares his thoughts on Sweets’ final baby wish and offers a critique of his sorta-replacement, Aubrey.

VIDEO Exclusive: Bones Cast Bids Farewell to John Francis Daley (and Sweets!)

TVLINE | In a perfect world, would you have liked to have been able to jump back into Bones after you finished shooting Vacation?
One hundred percent. I knew it would be tough, because I was asking for four months off. And I was so happy that they were able to accommodate that. But, yeah, in a perfect world, I would’ve loved to have [completed the movie] and then segue back to the Bones family. I had spoken to Stephen Nathan about it all, and he said it would be more satisfying for the fans to conclude Sweets in a dramatic way rather then for it to be up in the air and have him come back midway through the season.

TVLINE | Were you able to accept that decision, to be OK with it?
I pretty much had to be. [Laughs] The directing job was not something that I could walk away from. It was such a huge opportunity. It feels like a good next step in my career and my life; I always dreamed of being a director. So to be able to do something like this on such a huge scale —it’s a huge studio movie — it’s definitely not something I could turn my back on. It was a sacrifice for sure. But I’m three weeks into filming and having the time of my life. I couldn’t imagine it working out any other way.

TVLINE | What has this past week been like in terms of the reaction from fans? Sweets’ death pretty much blew up Twitter.
It was nice. People were saddened about the loss of Sweets, but understanding that I — as a person — wanted to fulfill a dream. It was actually surprising. I [expected] some people would be taking it out on my personally. And up to this point, no one has said anything [negative to me] in the Twitter-sphere. No one’s bashing me. It was also nice to know that there was such a loyal fan base of the show, and of Sweets in particular, who were devastated by the loss. It was bittersweet.

RELATED Bones EP Reveals Why Sweets Had to Die

TVLINE | I read that you broke down while filming your final scene, the one where Sweets’ body is brought into the Jeffersonian. What were you thinking about when you were overcome with emotion?
It was a funny day. If I were scheduling it, I would’ve scheduled it kind of differently. [Laughs] The very last thing we shot was me in the body bag being zipped up. I was covered in blood. No one really wanted to touch me because I was all messy. I couldn’t even give anyone a hug. We were shooting at midnight, so most of the primary crew were already gone for the day. The writers had all gone home. The producers were at Comic-Con, as were Emily [Deschanel] and David [Boreanaz]. So I walked out of a nearly empty stage and couldn’t say a proper goodbye to people. And as I was walking to my trailer I sort of realized, “Oh, s–t, this is weird.” And then the tears started coming. It was very cathartic.

TVLINE | Have you seen tonight’s episode with the wrap-up to the case and Sweets’ memorial?

TVLINE | Your body parts get a lot of play. We see your bones, your heart…
[Laughs] Good lord. That is pretty gruesome.

TVLINE | We also learn that Sweets wanted to name his unborn son Seeley, after Booth. Thoughts?
It seems right. It seems like the natural thing that he would want to do.

VIDEO Exclusive Bones Preview: Sweets Sends Daisy a Message From Beyond the Grave

TVLINE | Are you at all bummed that Sweets and Daisy reunited during the time jump? It kind of cheated you and Carla Gallo out of some potentially fun material.
Absolutely. I love Carla. She hails from the Judd Apatow family. She was the lead of Undeclared, I was in Freaks and Geeks… We’ve known each other for such a long time in passing, and then Bones brought us together as really good friends. She is such a funny, quirky, awesome person and I am so happy for her and her baby. She’s been baby crazy for a little while now. [Laughs] So it’s nice to finally see her as a mom. She’s going to be one of the best moms. That will be tough to not be able to work with her on the show and hang out.

TVLINE | Thoughts on your quasi-successor Aubrey? You guys have the same basic physical build and hair color. There are several moments in tonight’s episode where I thought he was you.
[Laughs] I’m sure that was intentional. It probably made the transition a little more seamless. I think [John Boyd] is a really cool guy from the couple of scenes that we did together. A really nice dude.

1. aa says:

tv characters die…life goes on…good luck with his future…he took the risk of his character getting killed off the moment he wanted to be a hot shot director…and decided it was what he wanted to do more than being on bones…thats the bottom line from me

• Badpenny says:

You sound oddly bitter, but keep in mind all the secondary cast lives as the whims of the primary cast and the studio. People cannot stop their lives waiting to see if Fox, Emily, and David all want to do a season 10. And it is not like movies are planned on Monday and start shooting on Friday. When he agreed to the directing project he was probably not expecting a season 10. Life goes on.

• aa says:

no i am not bitter just being realistic….this movie got pushed in 2013 and then got the greenlight again this summer out of the blue…Bones people accommodated JFD the first time which screwed up the storyline that they had planned for Sweets leaving the fbi and reworked the eps so he was able to come back in s9 and now in s10 he wanted to leave the 2nd ep in the season for 4mths and once again screwing up the plans they had for the S10 premier, which would have to be about Sweets leaving for prolly 10 plus eps instead of getting Booth out of jail…so I am fine that SN chose the storyline that he did when quite frankly he had very little opitions when looking at it from a production and shooting view of setting up the upcoming season and dealing with the s9 finale.

• CT says:

Yeah… Still sounds bitter to me. All in all, he’s having the time of his life and he’s doing a MOVIE. Hope the best for him, it was fun while it lasted.

• Donna says:

It would be nicew if you wrote in ENGLISH so we could understand all of what you are writing…Sweets was HARDLY ancillary to the story, and the idiot Stephen Nathan is neither a psychologist nor correct… WHY would we find it “more satisfying” to totally lose a character we had come to love, than to have him perhaps hospitalized for many months??? Giving John Daley a hiatus from the show would have been the right thing to do. Nobody who is normal finds an injustice like killing off someone who had gone thru SO MUCH, and finally begin to have a good life, satisfying. I would find hearing that Stephen Nathan being FIRED for gross stupidity and hubris “satisfying”.

• Michele Coakley says:

I agree completely.

• Kim says:

What a waste of a good character. In that convoluted conspiracy storyline, how about if Sweets was kidnapped for several months and the FBI tries to find him? They could have tied to kidnapping into the conspiracy.

• Sandy Moore says:

I also agree. He was part of the “Bones” family. I don’t think the show will be the same without him. Maybe time for me to move on to better things as well.

• Tracey says:

i agree, a hiatus from the show would have been better. Sweets’ character along with many previous episodes exhibiting closeness and caring with the other characters, made it a pleasure to watch. He added alot to the show. When you feel like you are there with them, sharing in the experiences they have, thats real entertainment. Killing Sweets does not allow for his ever returning to the show. Truly sad and disappointing.

• Sandra Bush says:

I agree with you completely…….

• Mysty says:

Totally agree!

• Philip Robinson says:

I totally agree, right on. Nathan must have his own problems.

• JL Stack says:

Absolutely!!

• dynasty says:

I agree 100%. And Kim, your kidnapping idea is very good! Wish they would have gone that way! Or simply that Sweets was severely injured so he had to have surgeries and recovery that last months, and then be back! Plus since Daisy is pregnant they came up with this Sweets is the father that is now going nowhere, it’s stupid, since Daisy is not a regular character couldn’t they just have waited till she had the baby and then bring her back without twisting the plot like that? They made all the wrong choices -.-

• kentuckywoman says:

Here! Here! I agree 100%! Killing off Sweets was, in my estimation, a fatal error – no pun intended. And it sounds like they didn’t even give him a going away party. That’s just obnoxious.

• valerie says:

Agree completely!

• Kathryn Stevenson says:

Bones just isn’t the same without Sweets! It was the biggest mistake ever of the producers/directors to not work with his schedule. Everyone misses Sweets. We had all came to love him so much.

• Marie says:

I’m so upset that he was killed off. I agree with you.

• B. Way says:

I never thought Sweets’ character made any sense anyway — why would a clinical psychologist be operating in the field with FBI agents amid violence and shooting; nor would he be interviewing suspects. The same problem for me occurs when the character of Bones enters the field — no way that would be allowed in any kind of reality for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is legal. I have always watched this show — David B. is a favorite TV actor and a very successful one (Buffy and Angel, etc.) — but in getting rid of this character and his ludicrous role, the series execs made a smart move.

• Ronnie says:

Kicking out Sweets instead of giving Daly a break was stupid and ridiculous,the wrong thing to do.What an idiotic decision and cruel as hell to the fans!

• DayNuh says:

I also agree whole-heartedly. Netflix watcher here, so chiming in late. While reading the article/interview to myself I actually said out loud (in a shocked tone) “more satisfying ??? what!!” – I can’t think of a single big fan of the show that would find that more “satisfying” in any way! It was just EASIER for the director/writers. Like the characters said in SO MANY episodes… Sweets was FAMILY.(!) JFD should not have been penalized for getting a great opportunity to follow a dream that would have only lasted four months. Yet still, he takes his ‘dismissal’ with such grace… I’ve loved JFD since Freaks and Geeks and I hope amazing things happen to him in life. Maybe this will be good for him – he’ll be less likely to be branded as just “Sweets from Bones” leading to a wider array of opportunities for him in the future. I miss him on Bones but I truly hope wonderful things happen with his career.
            p.s. they can re-write in three real-life pregnancies, which each take more than twice as long, but they couldn’t write in a kidnapping or a hospitalization? that’s just lazy.

• JL Stack says:

They pay big bucks to excellent writers who should love an opportunity be creative and keep a great team going so the future of the show would not suffer.

• Thomas says:

You do sound bitter, cuz, ya you are … Know thyself.

• jon says:

Man of emotionless you are.

• December 22, 2014

Dear Mr. Daley:

I was very surprised and saddened to see Sweets die when I watched that episode, especially after their engagement and Daisy’s pregnancy.

Mr. Daley, you will be greatly missed.

I wish you every success in your future endevours.

Merry Christmas and God Bless you and all your family.

C.W.
      B.C. Canada

• Sherman says:

“Hot shot” director? Animosity much?

• tryod1366 says:

Your bottom line makes you look like an !diot. ..

2. 1mars says:

I blame the producers, they could have written him out with a fluffy ending, he and Daisy go off to another city for a big promotion for him, but no, we have to get a sob story a waste of a young life. bah

• Cvance says:

Then 2 actors out of a job wouldn’t be fair to Daisy to be asked to leave the show because Sweets wanted to.

• Me says:

Well actually the actress for daisy Carla was actually pregnant so really it would of been fine for her to be off the shoe for a that time so she can have the baby and have her time with the baby afterwards

• Elizaberth says:

They could have just made that Lance has to take care of Daisy and help Daisy take care of the baby until she can take care of the baby herself. But no.. We had to get a really loved character killed off. He was my top fav character. They ruined my vibe! Can you imagine him not being in another episode agin?! Bones won’t be the same!

• rita says:

he could come back as a ghost and help raise his son and help with the investigations.

• Tanya says:

lol, but Bones wouldn’t believe he existed, even if she saw him herself. She’d say they were all suffering from mass hallucination because they all want Sweets back so bad. :)

• Mark Bunds says:

I know I’m a little behind, but O.M.G. you guys! Stop it! That was so funny, I can’t even breathe right now! Honestly, I just caught up with se10e01 and I feel like I’ve lost a friend. I suppose I’m not alone when I say that Sweets really brought something to the team; his part will be missed.

I do wonder if I’m the only one who found the resemblance between the young, new agent (can’t recall his name at the moment – the one Booth surprised in the parking garage) and Sweets rather eerie when I first saw him interacting with Booth, Sweets, and the director at the beginning of the show?

Since, I confess, I already knew Sweets was going to die (damn spoilers; thanks a lot, Wife!), though not the season or episode, I found it somewhat strange that the show implanted “Sweets’ replacement in such a bold, “in-your-face” sort of way. Maybe I would have felt differently if I hadn’t known what was coming.

• DayNuh says:

oh but!! the episode with Avalon and Christine’s imaginary friend Buddy :) even if she didn’t believe, at least she encouraged the interaction and didn’t tell her daughter she was hallucinating! hehe

• DayNuh says:

well technically in the episode with Avalon and Christine’s imaginary friend Buddy… and hey who knows if enough angry fans complain! haha :/ mehhh, I miss Sweets.
          (Netflix watcher, no cable. apologies for very late comment)

• Jud says:

ck Does have a point

3. Megs says:

“I had spoken to Stephen Nathan about it all, and he said it would be more satisfying for the fans to conclude Sweets in a dramatic way rather then for it to be up in the air and have him come back midway through the season.” – Honest question: were any fans actually satisfied by this?? If you were, please let me know. I definitely would have rather had Sweets’ storyline be “up in the air” and have him come back mid-season.

• Lauren says:

Lol you and I just posted practically the same thing.

• aa says:

JFD shooting of this movie has messed up Bones storylines for two seasons now….s9 it was suppose to get shot and they accommodated that by writing that Sweets wanted to leave the FBI but when that got pushed they wrote him back in….then now in s10 he wanted to take off in the 2nd ep of the season for 4 MONTHS and not be back until ep 12 or so and just jump back into the show …srly JFD was taking liberties….he wanted his cake and eat it….there was no way to start the season in the very first ep writing out Sweets in a decent way that would make sense for his character for like 10 eps and dealing with Booth getting out of jail….if JFD really cared that much about Sweets and BONES and the Bones fans he wouldnt of put Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan in that position in the first place making them deal with a character leaving the show in the first ep back when then were other stories that had to be dealt with first i.e. getting Booth out of jail and wrapping the conspiracy…fans want to be mad at the writers fair enough but JFD plays a part in how he got wrote out too.

• Patrick says:

This is it for me. He wanted everything to work out perfectly for him. Bones gave him a regular gig that probably paid very well. And, it is much easier to get into writing and directing when you are already a working actor. Your agency listens to you and tries to work with you so that they can keep a big earner happy. Bones gave him a steady job, which lead to the opportunity to do other things. Which is fine. But, while he was a regular, he wasn’t Booth or Bones. Meaning that, on such a large ensemble, he wasn’t on screen all that much.
        He used this show as a stepping stone, and I am sure that the Bones PTB did feel used somewhat. As such, they wrote him off, rather than giving him another closure. I would have seconded him to the DIA, CIA, or some other field office. And then brought him back for a 30 sec cameo in the series finale, but I get them wanting to end it. He wanted out to work on his own stuff and he got his wish. On a remake/reboot that I am not sure anyone actually wants to see. So, good luck with that, I guess. The bridge was burned.

• J says:

“He used this job as a stepping stone…”

Um…yeah. He is in a freelance profession. That’s what you do.

• Kathy A says:

That’s how it works in the entertainment industry.

• Tracey says:

Being on the series for Five plus years is hardly using it as a stepping stone. This man is showing himself to have tremendous talent in many areas. He also would have preferred to have a hiatus. Writers have always been able to write episodes in shows where a main character is not on every week. The writers could have figured it out but someone didn’t want them to. What a loss for them and for Bones’ fans.

• msladyjayne says:

I agree. Sweets was an integral part of the show and he was responsible for most of the more intimate moments shared between Booth and Bones. His sudden death was shocking and I have missed the character terribly. There should have been another way to deal with the situation. He deserved to stand along with the other characters when the series eventually comes to an end.

• JL Stack says:

Exactly! Well said.

• Felizita says:

So what if it messed up the storyline, so if you’re on this show or anything for that matter you can aspire to do anything else?

When Chris Pratt went to go do guardians of the galaxy Amy Poehler didn’t kill his character they wrote him the story line that allowed him to get in shape for that role and to do that movie and come back the following season on Parks and Recreation. She did this because she is a smart director, actor, and producer and Parks and Rec would eventually come to an end so who is she to stop anyone from pursuing Other roles or gigs?

I can give you several examples of actors or actresses 2 of them movies and film at the same time and or left TV to just focus on doing movies because that’s where the money is. However this is neither here or there, it is very clear to me that from the account by John That the producers seemed very bitter about him trying to do other projects.
        Just about every guy that was on Freaks and Geeks is now a huge movie star all these guys are his friends I probably urging him to take his career in another direction and is he wrong for that? It’s about his fault than anyone else on the show can get a gig. Its not his fault that he does not want to be stuck on TV or just known for TV roles. The fact that they so cheaply rode his character off and purposely schedule the shooting to where no one would be there on his final day what’s your shady and petty as hell I mean extremely petty! It’s not like he was some new side character that they just added he’s been on the show for Seven seasons, since season 3! His character was vital to the get together of the main characters!
        While sweets was a main character they also had several other characters, ie the interns, that they have consistently written in and out of episodes for years so clearly it’s not hard to write several episodes missing certain characters, I often wonder what the interns are doing when they aren’t on screen in this fantasy world.

How is it that the fans can write a better storyline for a character than the actual writer for the show who do this for a living?
        They could have easily written that in season 9 finale instead of Brennan running back to the house to warn booth it was actually sweets and he gets shot trying to help him and goes into a coma…. being that it was a conspiracy they try to charge booth with an attempted murder of sweets and the murders of the other so agents and then of course the season could have picked up where season 10 begin we’re both trying to clear his name and then eventually sweet would wake up and be like “oh booth wasn’t the one who shot me” and they’d be like “we already know we solved the case” Daisy then would reveal to Lance that she’s pregnant and then we get to see his reaction to being in a coma for 8 months or whatever and waking up to being a father soon to be.

They just wanted to be lazy and shady and just rude like you don’t treat somebody like that who you’ve been working with for 7 years. You just don’t write a character off like that is there in on his final day shooting you don’t even throw him a party because nobody’s there! So I completely understand if John is sad and or better by this experience because if he was like what are the entering character than it would be understandable cuz he’s not a main character but sweets was a main character and he’s been on the show for seven years he gave that shows 7 years of his life and when he decided that he wanted to do other things with his life things to further his career, All of everybody’s a hater. No shape to David but he’s only known for TV roles, most notably Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, which is fine for him but you know if somebody else wants to do more with their career yeah I don’t think anyone should stand in their way.

Hey you know the sad thing about this is would you look at other long running shows like the office and some actors leave because they know they can’t live off the success of just that show… Novak and Kaling weren’t as fortunate as JFD

• RS says:

Good question. I don’t even like the character, but that logic is beyond terrible.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Or it JFD gets another directing gig after this one, and Sweets never makes his return. And frankly, having to sift through all the “Bring back Zack” comments is annoying enough. I loved Sweets, but this was the right way to handle things

• Badpenny says:

Plus John is a busy person. He’s one of the writers of Burt Wonderstone, Horrible Bosses, Horrible Bosses 2, and he has a comedy pilot he’s trying to get off the ground with CBS; and on top of all that is the new Vacation movie he is directing. He is quite busy and is in some demand around Hollywood. Sweets was a big part of his life but his Hollywood-life has been going in other directions for a few years now.

• abz says:

I wasn’t as affected by it as many other people seemed to be, however, I really hate, in general, how showrunners think they know what fans want to see and then turn out to be absolutely wrong. It’s one thing if THEY wanted to take that direction because THEY wanted to tell that story or if they just wanted to try something (and either fail or succeed), but when they go in a direction they THINK fans will find “satisfying” a lot of the time they end up failing.

• Megs says:

Totally agree! If they want to do it for themselves, that’s fine and expected, but don’t go claiming and it’s “what the fans want.” They have every right as producers to say “yeah, we did it for the shock value” so why don’t they just say it? In my opinion Bones and it’s producers are some of the biggest offenders of either being really out of touch with fans or lying about it. Then again, we all still watch the show, so I guess they just don’t give a damn!

• Sally O'Malley says:

Stephen Nathan is all about doing things he thinks the fans will find satisfying and then failing. He’s completely delusional. There are a number of ways they could’ve let John and Sweets go without going this route. This was a slap in the face to both John and the fans who have been watching him since S3. It was not satisfying at all.

• Eran says:

Just to be clear, I do not in the slightest agree with the decision to kill Sweets off. That being said, calling Stephen Nathan “delusional” is a little outrageous too. The man has been running a show for 10 seasons now, 10! Whatever mistakes he may have made, at the heart of it all, keeping your show on the air for a whole decade now, means you know your job and you know how to do it well. My respect for him remains in tact.

• JL Stack says:

That is the biggest point of contention for me. Nathan should have simply stated the truth – that he would prefer not to try to accommodate John’s schedule. I’d have a bit of respect for him then. Love JFD – Wish him the best.

• JLK says:

I was. I think putting him in a never-ending coma and waking up months and months later would have been incredibly lame. This is a big time conspiracy. It makes sense there would be some casualties. And if Sweets got a promotion instead, he would have had to leave Booth in the lurch because his schedule apparently wouldn’t let him shoot Episode 2. I don’t think it would be believable for Sweets to leave last week with so much unresolved. Sweets would have wanted to help Booth see this thing through to the end…or die trying…and that’s what I did. I loved Sweets. I’ll miss him. I got all choked up watching last week and I’m sure I’ll be a mess this week. But, I think this was the best way to handle his absence. The only thing I found unsatisfying was the cloying way in which the writers’ handled his untimely demise. They used every cliche in the book. They only thing they left out was that Sweets was 2 days from his pension vesting/retirement. They were basically saying good-bye to him the whole episode. It got to be ridiculous.

• Tex Ritter says:

They can [still], at any time, write him back in! Just write it as if the wound was [in deed] not life threatening and he was put into protective custody, for his safety, until the case was/is broken! They suspected there was a leak in the agency! This [has] happened in shows in the past! (NCIS)

• liz says:

That would take creativity. They do after all decide what is best for us as viewers. The more I watch some shows the more I realize they have no clue about the fans and what the characters mean to us. To say that it is better to kill someone off than to creatively work it in is a cop out and disrespectful.

• petermac44 says:

oh come on it’s television for god sakes they can invented twin brother that was separated from him at birth and they never knew because it was adopted and he could become sweet too stranger stuff has happened in the world of television so come on they want to get back so I can bring them back how many times has a character died off and come back to life sweets is OK but let’s not kid ourselves daisy has to go she is horrible

• Actually, that’s a good plot, Tex. I’m still suspicious about Aubrey’s character being the leak, or even Sweets’ killer. He was after all, 1st at the scene, w/a weak explanation (hearing the call come in). Booth should be wiser than to trust him after that. Was Aubrey set up? On the other hand, I’d have to watch the episode again, when Sweets was “allegedly” brought in for autopsy. Otherwise, if JF Daley ever wanted to return in some fashion, Daisy could research the family roots of their child (Lance having been in foster care), and find a twin! O.K… wishful thinking the producers might take story lines from the fans.

• Vickie says:

I would have liked for him to be there once in a while. There are many different ways they could have gone with this but it is not a soap opera where they come back when the ratings go down. It will be intresting to see how the writers play this out.

• T.S. Wilson says:

Sweets death made me cry and those who know me… I’m not the crying type! Now that I’ve heard how he could have left and come back mid-season….. Well, that even makes me sadder!!!! I would have been fine with him going away for a bit and would have understood. Sweets leaving the show now for good with never a chance of return? Well I think it could worry us viewers as to who could be next? My heart is broken because he was the glue that kept everyone so close… If someone on the show doubted something or had an issue SWEETS helped them to see the issue thru his pyscolgy twist on things! No one will replace him! I wish he could come back! Like the writers could come up with that Sweets had a twin or something!!! Just to bring him back! If he ever reads this I want him to know he will be forever missed by me so very much and by some many others!!! Love you so much, John Francis Daley “Sweets”! I wish you all the best!

• Kathy A says:

Bad move on the producers’ part. No, guys, it’s NOT satisfying to have a character killed off — unless, of course, the viewers hate the character.

• AW says:

Not satisfying at all. Not sure where this Nathan fellow came up with that idea!!!

• jack says:

what happens to Zach Sweets is the only 1 to know he’s innocent,is zach just a foot note when hodges brings him up as his best friend an don’t even know he’s innocent

• pauline says:

I agree with you Megs I think they could have done it different it seems that all that thy can do is kill of he creator when they need time off to work on other things the way ncis did t this time was much better and I leaves rom for the creator to make gust shots

• karlasariana says:

Definitely not satisfied by the way they ended Sweets out of the show. But everything happens for a reason and I wish the best of luck to John and I believe that he made a good decision by following his dream. Bones producers will have to really come out with something good if they want to have S11 because Sweets was the glue that kept them all together and I believe a lot of fans would have prefer that he went away with Daisy or something rather than killing him.

• Agreed says:

I so agree would love for him to come back i was kind of hoping they just faked his death ugh , i still can not believe it….they should of had a poll or something i know fans would love to see him back

• I also believe sweets could of come back as a twin now really miss his character it saddened me that he won’t be back won’t be the same at all!!!!!!

• Katie says:

I was thinking the same thing, Sweets has a twin brother and some how they work his character back into the Storyline. He can be there for Daisy and the baby also.

• Stormer says:

Well, it did satisfy me. In fact, it satisfied me so much that I’ve dropped Bones completely from my viewing schedule. It’s off the TiVo and, funny thing, I don’t miss it.

• I hated it, this was stupid not the way to end. He was wrong wrong wrong!!!

• JL Stack says:

Absolutely!

• LaRessia Bishop says:

I Love Sweets, his character was great with Daisy!! It was very sad when he left the show I thought the writers could’ve created a different ending for his character. He is so part of the team.

• Bonnie Bennett says:

I dont think the show will be the same with out sweets and Daisy the baby its going to not be the same he should of been able to come back

• neffj74 says:

I agree with you there…

4. Lauren says:

I am 100% okay with John chasing his dreams of being a big time director – if that is what he wants, I wish him all the luck. I am slightly bothered by the fact that he sounds like did still want to be a part of Bones, but that Nathan thought it would be more “satisfying” to fans to have him killed off in a dramatic way. This fan would much rather have had him in a coma or on sabbatical or something other than that. I know I don’t speak for every fan, however, just offering my personal preference. I’m genuinely curious if any fans really did prefer Sweets die than have a storyline that just removed his character for a bit?

• Kwapple says:

Do you really want another Zack? Because that’s probably what would happen if Sweets was alive.

• Megs says:

No, we don’t want another Zach with a completely ridiculous storyline that doesn’t make any sense…we just didn’t want Sweets to die!

And I totally agree, Lauren! I read through the comments again and there are a few people who agreed it was the right thing to do…we’ll just have to disagree with them :-)

• Randi says:

Ok I hate to throw this option in but when I heard he was directing the Lampoon remake I figured he would take some sort of leave of absence so I started coming up with possible story lines, none of which were killing off his character. The one I kept coming back to was something happening to Daisy or the baby during childbirth, sad and disturbing I know but that was my idea. He could have taken some sort of sabbatical after the incident, coming back when Lampoon was finished. It would have worked. They didn’t have to kill him.

5. Desiree says:

The producers suck. It was a lame unsatisfying ending for a character that elevated the show. Maybe they were just jealous that he is a big writer/director and they’re stuck working on season 10. I mean, come on. I was a huuuuge bonehead, but now I think I’m done.

• anon says:

yes i am sure Hart and Stephen, with their 30 odd years of experience within the industry with multiple tv shows under their creative belt are so jealous of JFD’s last movie which he wrote the atrociousness that was “Burt Wonderstone” FLOP….yes, I can be mean and petty too.

• Desiree says:

His last movie was cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 which was a hit. And why are you being mean to john when he only had nice things to say about everyone in his interview?

• anon says:

an yet you have no problem being mean and petty about the producers who have said nothing but nice and wonderful things about jfd whilst explaining why his character got killed off.

6. um... says:

Stephen Nathan is an idiot.

7. Babybop says:

I’m happy for him – and personally hope he keeps writing, Horrible Bosses is amazing – but I wish he got a better ending on the show. I loved his character, as I did Vincent Nigel Murray. Sad.

8. tbnavarro says:

I wish JFD all the best with his directing pursuits. As for how Sweets was handled – As a fan, it would have been more satisfying for me for Sweets to be injured, or in a coma, then off screen recovery. They could have had lots of off screen conversation if needed….”Hey I talked to Sweets, and he said….” while JFD does his thing in RL and brought him back mid season like he was still there all along! Anything would have been better than killing Sweets off. I don’t believe they were true to the fans at all! I think Nathan cheated the fans. This belief that killing main characters for ‘extra drama’ is lazy writing to me. Same with all these putting main characters in peril for season cliffhangers. (cough Castle)

• anon says:

if you want to watch a character rot in a coma for half a year then i would suggest to you finding a daytime soap to watch :)…..srly tho, if they put Sweets in coma for MANY months it wouldn’t of got a positive reaction either…..characters get killed off all the time whether the actors want it to happen or not…..why some within the Bones fandom have a hard time understanding this and acting like hart/stephen killed their 1st born is just plain embarrassing to me now as a fan who has watched and been an online fan since day 1.

• John NYC says:

Well, they could have put him in Paris. Or any other foreign FBI post…

• anon says:

So in the very first ep of the season Sweets would go off, leave DC, when his friend, his work partner, his FAMILY member Booth is stuck in jail, wrongly, sin the middle of a FBI set up, suffering from PTSD ? sorry that would make NO sense to Sweets as character…the only way Sweets would leave Booth in that condition is through death…which is what happened.. If JFD wanted to leave BONES ep 5 or so I could see that happening but since he would only do the premier ep the writers had very little opition in how to deal with his character in ONE ep whilst dealing with wrapping the finale events and laying the groundwork for the upcoming season.

• JLK says:

Wow…I just wrote something similar above before I saw this. I think you explained it better too. Kudos to you. :)

9. MARTHA POUND says:

I cant believe he not going to be in the show no more it is so off fall He made the show also why could you not let him be hurt or something so he could come back to the show see I just lost my husband RUFUS in may 8 2014 and to watch him die made it hard on me I cried for him and my husband when I watch this one my husband like everyone on the show is there any way you can bring him back he reminds me of my brother I lost in 1963 it will be hard not to miss John in the show but I wish him the best in his life your fan in tucson,az MARTHA POUND

10. Jim Tom Pinch says:

Wow. What a bummer. I actually was hoping JFD really asked to be let go, because which That makes killing Sweets more palatable for me. But this sounds kinda sad. Sounds like he would have come back, if the producers would have been more creative. But no, they took the easy SHOCK! way out. And what a depressing last day. No one even there to say goodbye or take the guy for a drink after 7 years. No wonder he got emotional. Hope it wasn’t as much of an afterthought as it sounds like here.

Then again, I’m biased. Only started Bones on season 3 because I was curious about how Sam Weir grew up. Loved his character and stuck around. I’ll definitely watch tonight at least. Been a nice ride. Hope JFD isn’t totally giving up work in front of the camera, because he’s got a lot more in him!

11. mpound28 says:

I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE KILLING JFD OFF THE SHOW IT WAS HARD FOR ME TO WATCH SEE I LOST MY HUSBAND RUFUS ON MAY 8 2014 AND IT MADE ME CRY ABOUT BOTH NOW IT HARD TO WATCH SHOWS THAT HAS A PERSON IN A BODY BAG I SEEN MY HUSBAND IN ONE IT IS SO OFF FULL TO SEE THAT AGAIN THEN YOU CREMATE HIM JUST LIKE I DID MY HUSBAND LIKE THE SHOW TOO BUT IWISH JFD THE BEST IT SEEM THEY COULD OF HAD HIM GET REAL HURT AND HAD TO GO FORVA WHILE TO GET BETTER AND COME BACK TO THE SHOW HIS FAN IN TUCSON,AZ MARTHA

12. John Longo says:

I don’t think the way Sweets was written out was simply for shock value, though that is definitely apparent in the narrative. However, i do think the decision to kill Sweets is a genuinely surprising and emotional story beat that can and should bring about some interesting changes to a show that is know for traditional procedural narratives.

That said the one thing that completely upset me about the way Sweets was killed is that they give him this total off screen life with Daisy and baby on the way. I’m sorry but there is no way I can approve of a storyline in which a young man who is about to be father is murdered. Its a manipulative move on the writers part to make the story more tragic.

Its an already tragic and traumatic story as it is for the rest of the characters and to add this subplot on top of it is trite and manipulative.

John Francis Daley is going to direct movies and in an ideal world he would come back to the show afterwards and resume his role. However, there is not a single person in this world who should be upset with him for leaving a show in its 10th season to pursue a career directing a franchise movie. Nor should anyone be too aggravated about the writers deciding to kill him off.

Like I said if the decision was made simply on the core story value (Sweet’s death = poignant moments from main cast) then that’s smart surprising and engaging storytelling. And to have his death happen in the season opener is that much better. This is an element you almost never see on Network television. In fact the only place I can think of something like this happening is Persons of Interest and even in that case CBS and the hype machine basically told you for months someone is dying. In FOX and Bones’ case it came as real surprise (though by the end of the 5th Act break when Sweets says he’ll go off on his own you basically know something bad is coming).

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Carla was pregnant. She even gave birth while they were filming the episode

• Lulu says:

John the departure (killing) of Sweets character and having him hook up with Daisy off screen was last minute decision. Because JFD is in demand in Hollywood so the production contacted Carla to do an episode and that when they found out that she was actually 8 months pregnant that’s when the production incorporated the storyline. In a recent interview Carla said she actually didn’t know it was going to happen until she read the script. It was an interesting interview because she also said she gave birth right after she did the scene at their apartment where they told Booth he was the godfather. Also she came back 11 days later to do the last shots of the episode.

• Jim Tom Pinch says:

Interestingly for me, I’m more at peace with the baby thing than the death. The death still feels lazy, like they wanted to get some big buzz at the beginning of the season with a big shocking character death to shake things up. Frankly, it makes sense if the actor wanted to leave for good. Feels shortsighted to me though. If they’d shipped him off in witness protection or even written an injury that would put him off canvas for a while, try could have tried for a mid-season bump when they brought Sweets back. Instead, they just hired another 20-something dark-haired young guy for Booth to bicker with. Eh. Like I said. Feels like they took the easy way out, storywise. Death is the biggest, easiest way to shake up an aging show.

But as sad as the baby thing is – and I know Carla Gallo is going to break my heart; poor Daisy – I also kind of like that Sweets, a character with no blood family in the world, left Daisy this baby of his to love and left a part of himself in the world.

• neffj74 says:

Also Charmed there is a main character that they kill off. Which honestly I could see happening, but it is how they did it that really upsets me…

13. HAP says:

When he first joined the cast of Bones, I was incredulous for the idea that the little brother on Freaks and Geeks was a medical professional. Took me a while to wrap my head around it.

14. Pia says:

I’m fine with the ending of S10E01
    I’m so sick of “bring back Zack” This way there will be no ” bring back Sweets”
    You can’t bring back the dead.
    Let it go. Sit back and enjoy the ride, while we can. Let’s cry when the show itself is over. I know I will.

15. Chip Ramsey says:

Maybe they could bring back Gordon Gordon…

16. dj says:

I hated to see Sweet’s die. He was my favorite. I wish him the best of luck in the next chapter of his life.

17. Pat says:

I could have only wished for a better ending for Sweets departure from the show. I did not want to see his character killed off. They could have just let him depart by moving his career away from the FBI, to another job out west. That would have been a better ending for me. Yes, I would have been sadden by this but at least I would have spared myself the blubbering mess of crying my heart out with that final scene of his death!!!

18. Nicole says:

Lies. I would have rather had him leave and come back then die the way he did. He is my favorite character.

19. Diane says:

Aw, he wanted to stay. I would have accepted a coma or a sabbatical. Good for him, pursuing his dream of directing. Nothing wrong with that.

20. Iris says:

Well I am going to miss his character regardless of why he left the show. God I hate change.
    Good luck ! Hope your movie is a hit.

21. Lee says:

Sweets was one of our favorites on Bones. I for one would had loved to see him return to the show after filming. Not sure if we will continue to watch, his character added so much to the show.

22. Bernard D. bates III says:

I’m sorry he was a key part of the bones family , 4 months off then to bring him back wouldn’t and shouldn’t have been a problem. They seem to have lost more than they realize, loved the show still be watching to see where it goes from here

23. Pam says:

A part of me died when I watched Sweets die in that parking lot😢, but I do wish him all the best on his new adventure.

24. V says:

Even An important TV actor cannot moonlight . Aspirations for better things is not allowed.
    It’s big business after all. Bones producers are out of touch with the shows fans. I will watch the show tonight but the series has lost my support. I like football..

25. bridget says:

I am going to miss sweets s o very much. He was a favorite..I loved the way he was always trying to convince people of his age…so ooh cute….love you sweets

26. Diana says:

shock! i was shocked last week when you killed off Sweets. Bad move. You better find a way to resurrect him in four months. The show fans would understand his absence for awhile and been so happy when he entered back from where he had to go for awhile. your writers could have worked it out. You were wrong for this…….

27. missmsry98 says:

Have a great future. Life goes on. We’ll miss Sweets, but you are too talented not to go on to more wonderful roles and directing.

28. linda hartman says:

I was upset at first but after watching tonight’s episode they tied everything together so nicely that yes he will be missed but he helped catch the bad guys. Good luck to him for the future, he could always come back as a missing twin.

• kentuckywoman says:

No, the “missing twin” ploy is NEVER plausible. Besides, Sweets had no family. And even if there did happen to be a “missing twin”, he likely wouldn’t be a psychiatrist with the FBI. It was Sweets character as a psychiatrist that brought some warmth to an otherwise overload of characters who are emotionally detached. Except for Booth, who is a little on the overly emotional side. Sweets was the balance and the glue. Can’t replicate that, even with a twin. It would have no merit.

29. asl4me says:

One of the few people (characters) I authentically related to… His character will be missed!I was also extremely saddened when Nigel was killed on the show…

30. bring him back as Sweets Twin!!!!!

31. Sheila says:

Of all of the movies to remake, why Vacation? Are they just remaking everything?

• JEst says:

It’s technically nore of a sequel since it takes place after the other ones, then a remake. This time Rusty is the one taking his family on a vacation.

32. Darla says:

Sweets was my favorite character. I’ve completely lost interest in the show now that he’s gone – just as I did with Person of Interest when one of the main characters was killed. NP – there are lots of other shows to watch.

33. Kelley says:

It’s total BS that they wrote Sweets off the show,”To make it easier on the fans”. I am a loyal watcher and have been since the first show. I would rather they have given John the four months off and let him come back. If he truly had to be written out, at least make it a happy ending.

34. brian t. says:

35. i just love watching bones i also love sweets and everyone else in the show it just breaks my heart that they had kill you off. i am happy for you for wanting to do movies, but i would had you not kill off just that some thing came up and that you as seet had go to do some training on things for couple of months and if have to on your time off the movie you could do the phone calls that what the writers of bones show. This way you as sweets could come back and no one would be crying. i can not belive no one was there when you walked out on the stage i would been there for you john F Daley. i am going miss seeing you on the show and i do wish you the best in what you are doing in your life time you got to do whatis the best for you. take care can not wait till your movie comes out
    best wish
    dori maxwell

36. brian t. says:

I don’t like people changing the show. Change ( s°π%ks) well you get the picture. Don’t kill anyone else off!! It’s like losing family. I’ve lost three brothers and mi pa 2. So please stop taking mi family away from me,.

37. nytunnelnative says:

I think it sucks that they killed him. There are always ways to have a character be off a show
    and then brought back. It’s done all time. I think they made a gravy mistake.

38. Jeannie says:

I would have loved for Sweets to return mid season. It was not satisfying to me for this character to die! I will miss you “Sweets,”

39. f. napoli says:

Actors take time off all the time and resume previous commitments. I think those “in charge”
    made a serious mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweets added so much to the show. If you’re smart
    he’ll be back with some back from the dead scenario, like the soap operas do so wonderfully!!!!!!!

40. Danny says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if that john francis daley would return to the show but have a twin brother he never knew about? since he was in foster care he didn’t know much of his real family thewriters could write that sweets had a twin brother :D BRING JOHN BACK

• mpound28 says:

HAY YOU JUST HAD A GREAT IDEAL MAYBE THEY MIGHT JUST USE THAT TO BRING JFD BACK I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM BACK ON THE SHOW DOING A DIFFERENT CHARACTER THAT WOULD BE GREAT CAN YOU LET THE SHOW KNOW THIS PASS THIS ON TO THEM

• dorie maxwell says:

That would be a good idal that you have. just like jack didnt knew he had a brother till last year. i still think they shouldnt killed him off between him n zack was one of my favor beside bones n booth n the rest of them i fell that its not going be the same its just like you lost a love one but you know deep down that you going see him in shows he has made movies they all had. just that they still still and do their parts. i missed the beging last week just got in on the 1/2 of it. im still think the writes should ask us fans what they should had done before they killed sweet off. they sing his song it was the same one that one guy killed that was from somewhere else. and where was the rest of the cast that always helping out. it would been nice it him n Daylz could got married n moved away to be in the big top of fbi but no. im still going keep watching it cause i love the rest of the stars.

41. I will miss sweets terribly,but wish him luck

42. Vickie says:

I hate to see Sweets leave I am a die hard Bones fan though because of work and the fact that they moved from Tuesday to Thursday it has took me awhile to catch up. Love the show missed most of season Nine will not this season though.

43. Jannah Yasin says:

I loved the Sweets character and will miss him. They should have accommodated Mr. Daley, given him time to direct his movie and then welcomed him back to the show.

44. The Squatch says:

I just think on his last day he should have walked onto the set, dropped trou, showed them The Goat and said, “You know what, **** this, you all suck I quit!” then walked out. hehe

45. Tracy Ochmanek says:

So sad you killed off sweets it won’t be the same I might be through watching!!

46. Cee says:

Been a faithful viewer, but will not watch Bones any more. Franky, I am tired of the “powers that be” making these decisions with out regards for the faithful fans.

• ck says:

I think the loss of Zak was enough to make me stop watching. Now the loss of sweets makes me hate the show. It is said even bad talking is still good as long as you are talking about the show. Wrong. Tick me off twice and I am gone. I hope the writers like unemployment. People will remember how they make them mad and won’t watch the next project they write.

47. ellamae says:

I am really sad, I loved his role. Seeing Sweets die like this was terrible. I don’t think they should have killed him off, as a viewer and a fan I say let him has his time away, bring him back later or have him living happily with Daisy and just bring him in periodically, every now and then. Love you Sweets I am going to miss you.

48. Sheri Wands says:

I would of loved to see Sweets come back. I love the show and will miss him. Your writers better come up with something good. Thanks

49. svet says:

There are so many things wrong with how this was handled. I was pissed off that Sweets was killed off but now reading this interview and finding out that John wanted to come back and that there was no one there to even say a proper goodbye to just sucks and pisses me off even more.
    After 7 years no one could make an effort to be there for him, it’s like he never existed.
    And it’s what the fans would have wanted!? Really? Clearly, it’s not what the fans wanted and they “totally” made a “mega” mistake killing him off. “Indubitably” They better find a way to write him back in. Actors have time off all the time, they work around the pregnancies, why not this? I as a fan did not want to see Zach as a murderer’s apprentice, I didn’t want Nigel killed off, I didn’t want Wendell to have cancer and I definitely did not want sweets to be killed off! This sucks hard. I hope you find a way for John to come back as Sweets, if not I hope you get canceled. I’m sorry, I was a fan and have devoted 9 years to this show, but it seems that if any of the actors dare to try something else to earn money, they get killed off. So they should just sit around and wait to be called and be grateful for it. Wake up and get in touch with what the fans want, we clearly want John back. Without us fans, you have no show so start writing creatively and bring him back. I don’t want to watch any more, you have made too many assumptions as to what the fans want and so after 9 years, I’m out. Good night.
    Having said all that, I wish John all the best and hope he can return, though I don’t know why he would want to after how he was treated.

50. Bonnie says:

Another sad night and crying during Bones. He was part of the family and Will be missed. Good luck