Mistresses' Alyssa Milano: I Won't Be Returning for Season 3

Mistresses Alyssa Milano Quits

Mistresses may be sans Savi when it returns for its recently ordered Season 3 next summer.

RELATED Mistresses EP Talks Shocking Season 2 Finale: ‘Soap Operas Live and Die on Unforgivable Acts’

Hours after ABC announced that the summertime sudser had been renewed for another cycle, star Alyssa Milano shared on both Twitter and Facebook, “Sadly, I won’t be returning to #Mistresses,” followed by a link to her personal website, where she offered this explanation:

After two wonderful seasons in Los Angeles, the studio has decided to shoot Season 3 of Mistresses in Vancouver, Canada for financial reasons. It’s with a heavy heart that I have decided that I can’t relocate.

I have two babies under 4. Being a mother and wife comes first, and I just can not uproot my children and separate the family by moving away.

I will miss this job desperately and wish everyone the absolute best.

Milano’s publicist has confirmed the postings as legitimate, while multiple setside sources have confirmed for TVLine the actress’ decision to leave.

Mistresses Season 2 closed with Milano’s character on the verge of finding ex-husband Harry and her sister Joss in a passionate embrace. Teasing the fallout, exec producer K.J. Steinberg told TVLine, “If and when Savi finds out, it will destroy her. But that’s if and when.”

Can the show go on without Savi? How would you write her out, if Milano is in fact walking away?

1. MattArmando says:

Isn’t the show ABOUT her?

2. Erin says:

Hopefully she is trying to call their bluff. I don’t see how there can be a show without her.

3. Kevin says:

Oh nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. bobbi6484 says:

I will miss Alyssa, but how can Savi NOT find out? What? She falls down on her way to the beach and cracks her head and develops amnesia? How can she not complete that walk? I hope they fly her in to shoot a scene or two. Let her find them and leave……

5. T.W.123 says:

Isn’t she the lead character though? The show really is ABOUT Savi/ uses her as the center storyline that the rest of the Misstresses spin off of. I wonder how they will reformat the show without her. I wonder if it is going to work…

• Amy says:

It is an ensemble show so, no the show isn’t about Savi. It’s about all 4 of the women. For the majority of season 2, Savi’s storyline was usually the B or C story in the episodes.

• T.W.123 says:

I suppose I see your point. I was thinking of it more as like, say for instance, “Grey’s Anatomy”. “Grey’s” is technically a large ensemble show, but it is hard to imagine the show without Meredith Grey as the center piece. We’ve always come back to her as the grounding component or “star” of the show. I would think that would be even more awkward in Mistresses, which is about a group of 4 friends- all of whom seem to know each other through Savi.

But perhaps your right, her storyline was often the B/C plot this last season, and the show still worked fine.

• Barry says:

I agree… she did not have the best storyline and is not the strongest character in the show.

• Alyssa Milano was pregnant during the taping of Season 2. That is probably why she was the B or C story in the episodes. The sex scenes require some level of deshabille, which aren’t doable when the actress is sporting a pregnancy belly and a pregnancy is not in the story line.

6. J.B. says:

I’m surprised they even went ahead with a 3rd season without her. It’s completely feasible to continue without her character but I hope ABC is going to lower their expectations when it comes to the ratings.

• Steven says:

They could always kill her off and introduce a new half-sister mistress named Paige.

• Carlos says:

You win!

• Marco says:

Which they SHOULD have done in Charmed. Phoebe past season 4 was unsufferable, to put it mildly.

• BlueBelle says:

OMG, I thought I was the only one who thought the same thing. I like Alyssa Milano but Phoebe turned into a shell of her former self. She lost her spunk/independence streak she had in season 1 & 2. Season 4-8 felt it was all about the following, Alyssa cuts her hair, Alyssa lost the weight from season 3 so now lets show off her body, new boobs and put her in little clothing in every scene. Phoebe is a mermaid. Phoebe is Cinderella in a butt ugly dress. Phoebe is a genie. Phoebe is a mummy.

• Thanh says:

My sister and I both thought that Phoebe became insufferable in later seasons. I just thought we were the only ones, since everyone else seemed to love her character so much still, even near the end of the show’s run.

• Christian says:

Charmed was an insufferable show. Sorry, NOT sorry!

• always missed Prue and wished she had survived and Phoebe didn’t! My favorite was Piper!

• ann says:

I think the charmed show should do a rewind, have them wake up and everything before piper’s pregnancy be done over. phoebe should have been the one to get pregnant with coles baby and go from there with the baby starting off good then going evil

• Marcia Teer says:

Alyssa and Holly were the charm in Charmed and you need a spelling or grammar lesson the term would be insufferable not unsufferable so your wrong again.

• kwidoc71 says:

I’m neither agreeing nor disagreeing with your POV – however it would be advisable to check your own spelling/grammar before you flame someone else for errors: unfortunately YOU’RE wrong in this one!

• Eden says:

I was going to say the same thing! LOL..or better still bring in Pru since she seems to be out of work these days LOL

7. Amanda says:

I don’t see how there isn’t a way to work out some kind of limited involvement that doesn’t require her to move for a few months. I can’t imagine the show didn’t try to compromise somehow. Unless she just wouldn’t go to Canada at all. I’m a mom and understand her reason, but this is what her job entails. I don’t know that I will miss her personally, but I don’t like the idea of another time jump.

• Jasmine says:

She just had a baby though and her husband works as well. He probably can’t leave LA and that’s why she doesn’t want to split up the family. I totally get where she’s coming from and I’ll miss her on the show. Maybe she’ll do like two episodes just so Savi can have a proper exit.

• Dmac says:

No, the job she signed up for was shooting in LA, she did not sign up for filming in Canada.

8. Mary says:

This will be interesting to see what develops. I can understand her position, family comes first and the show probably needs to cut out some expenses since it really isn’t one of the top shows for the network. I can’t see them replaces her but they almost have to since the show does kind of center around her and the other girls.

9. WillburEllis says:

I am so cool with her dipping. Her stories always sucked the most.

10. Eliza says:

Huge loss to the show IMO. While I intensely dislike the Harry & Jos hookup (I love both characters but as friends/family rather than romantic) I wanted to see how the writers were going to deal with it once Savi found out. And see that
    story unfold. The Savi & Jos sister relationship was an important part of the show me.

11. Dani says:

Hopefully she’ll at least return in a guest appearance or two to give her character some closure. I’ll miss Alyssa Milano very much. She was the reason I started watching the show in the 1st place. Very, very sad news.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I love Alyssa and she contributes mightily to that show’s appeal IMO. But that’s a totally legit reason for leaving although I wish there was something that TPTB could do to work something out with her, maybe even Special Guest Star status or something.

• LoriAnn says:

Me too. Maybe they can put her in a mental hospital and Skype with her, just to keep her in the show a bit longer. Seeing my sister with my ex-husband would put me there and I’m not considering a reconciliation!

12. amanda says:

Aw man, I wanted more of hottie Zach … darnit!!

13. Eric7740 says:

Here’s a thought, howabout they simply re-cast the role???

• J.B. says:

I had that same thought for a second or two but it’s very hard to do a recast for a major character these days. They should, and might, just introduce a new character.

• Eran says:

What’s standard practice for daytime television is an epic sore thumb on prime time, imho. You can recast a lead mid-series, of course you can, but you just…don’t. I am interested though in seeing how she’ll be written out.

• J.B. says:

I agree.
        Betwitched, Rosanne and Fresh Prince of Bel Air (just to name a few) did successful recasts but that was a long time ago. I just don’t see it happening these days, though like you said, they could. Just hope they don’t.

• Eran says:

They should ask Shannen Doherty to step in ;)

• wisdom says:

That’s exactly what I said a few comments above. Lol

• absolutely! miss her and she would do great!

• kwidoc71 says:

Except that the reason Ms Doherty was written out of Charmed, and quite likely why she has been out of work, is that she was reputedly extremely difficult to work with; and this seems to have been a general consensus in other shows on which she has worked. Why would you hire someone you know to be difficult when your show is already having a major upheaval – losing actors, moving locations etc?

• Laura says:

That would be great! I don’t really think ABC can go wrong here, they can recast or introduce a whole other character or 2. I’m excited for the change. I love Mistresses but Savi had become annoying.

• cuius says:

Looking forward to a cosmetic surgery episode

• Karen says:

I totally agree

14. Joel says:

Personally, I didn’t like her character so I am really not bothered that she is leaving, what does bother me though is that the biggest storyline going into Season 3 will not get the justice it deserves. Its incredibly frustrating as a fan of the show to see the most exciting storyline of the show not be able to progress the way it could have if she stayed. Hopefully they will find a way to bring her in for atleast an episode or two, we need that and so does the show.

15. Lizo says:

I completely understand why she wouldn’t want to uproot her family. That said, her kids are under 4, they will barely notice the change. If they were older, uprooting them away from their school and friends would be a legit concern…but under 4, oh they’ll be fine. Plus there’s all that clean air in Canada lol.

• Emma says:

The problem is that her husband works in LA. That’s what she meant by separating the family. She probably took the job on in the first place because it allowed her to be at home.

16. Dorothy Lancaster (Dorjean) says:

I’d just have Savi find the two of them together on the beach and have her pick up roots and leave – going elsewhere – leaving her friends behind – I think the Savi story stopped being interesting this past season, anyway. I mean what could she do now? I love the show, am delighted it’s renewed, but I really wouldn’t miss her.

17. Abby says:

Well, the storylines all basically circle Savi, and the content of the season 2 finale was meaningless if she’s not in at least the first episode to follow through on all the drama the cliffhanger promised.

• Lerbert says:

Agree! What a huge cliffhanger to walk away from. Maybe she’s just over series television–she’s been working at it for a long time–but not even coming back to put a finale on her character in the season premiere? That’s a pretty big statement. Guess we’re getting a time jump and a lot of narrative our way.

18. SK says:

I’m disappointed that she won’t be coming back. I also watched the show because of Alyssa Milano. I don’t know how the show is going to be without her. I, personally, do not like the Joss and Harry hook-up. Joss has gone a long way to becoming more mature and responsible and now this. So I’ll see if I continue to watch next season. It’ll all depend on how they deal with the storyline.

19. M says:

WHAT? If she wasn’t going to return they shouldve just cancelled the show… The cliffhanger was about her and now shes not going to be around… Basically the same thing as cancelling the show with the cliffhanger… I will miss her dearly as I love Milano ever since Charmed… They better not recast her role

20. LaLa says:

I loved Alyssa Milano in this role, and I hate to see her leave the show. I understand her reasons. That being said . . .
    If the writers and producers are worth their salt, there’s no reason that Savi cannot be written out and another character written in. There are so many possibilities . . .

21. wrstlgirl says:

Well there goes the ex-husband drama arc. Now the Harry/Joss hook up is basically irrelevant IMO.

• Brendan says:

Which makes the final half of the season meaningless as well. Both cliffhangers have had Savi at the core, the show will be so off without her.

• I disagree. If Savi was so hurt that she packed things and move out from L.A. this casts a big dark cloud over the others. Joss will be dying with guilt, April won’t hve her best friend to help her with her daughter, so she’ll probably blame Joss, and our former psychologist will be doing double duty trying to mend the friendship of who stayed while dealing with whatever she has, which will probably be hidden from the other two and will be the ultimate cause of them rekindling, since it’ll be discovered that she has some serious problem that will require a transplant.In the meantime Joss will find solace in some new friend, who’ll, by the season 3 end, be the fourth mistress.

22. Ryan says:

I haven’t watched a minute of this show, but if I were ABC I would bite the financial bullet. From all the ads I’ve seen it’s a sunny beach filled show with Alyssa Milano in it. Now, ABC doesn’t have a lot of summer successes unless you count airing “Rookie Blue” which already aired in Canada.

If moving to Vancouver means losing her, I’d keep the show in L.A. and cut the budget another way. If they don’t, oh well. Their loss. Good for her on prioritizing her kids.

23. Jared says:

Alyssa Milano is Mistresses and was the only reason I started watching in the first place. I dont understand why ABC would renew an already low rated series without securing its main star. Doesnt make much sense.

24. Laura says:

I like Alyssa but I won’t miss her on Mistresses. In season one she was the glue of the show but not-so-much in season 2. April, Joss and Karen all stepped up this past season and had the better/meatier story lines.It was also great to see Harry finally have chemistry with someone. He and Alyssa never jelled for me.
    I wish Alyssa well – but on a different show.

• Karen Olsehemmer says:

I agree that the show can definitely move forward without her. I actually enjoy the roles of the other three characters much move than that of Savi. I’m sure there are many actresses who could play the part of Savi – no problem. I realize she was pregnant, but think her weight gain was a problem for the role she was supposed to be playing last season – this may be a good thing for all

• anontvxpert says:

I agree. Last season wasn’t good for Savi or Milano. I love her but there are a slew of “name” actresses in Hollywood who I’m sure have already contacted their agents saying “get me on that show!” I mean, who wouldn’t want to star in a red-hot solid summer series for only 13 episodes? (Plus I’m sure the show just saved a lot more money.)

• wisdom says:

I agree. I got bored with savi. Especially the way the obviously hid her pregnancy through pillows and hiding behind tables and chairs. It really took away from her artistry. Maybe they will recast her, maybe she even will see them on the beach and runaway (typical) maybe she will kill herself. Who knows. All I know the show will either fail or prosper with savi’s departure. We will see how prosperous it will be behind a season 4 happening.

25. Kim Oseira says:

God bless your beautiful soul Alyssa. I know the cast will miss you but you will be home caring for your beautiful family. May God shower you with many of his blessings.

26. Amy says:

I definitely agree with those saying that they’ll probably do some sort of time jump and have Savi move away. Savi has pretty much been my least favorite character on the show since it started so I’m actually looking forward to not having to see her fickle heart leading her this way and that and her bad choices.

Also, the Harry/Joss hook-up was not JUST about Savi so it doesn’t make it pointless. Savi was part of the fallout of it. With her leaving, the fallout will still be felt amongst the group and Joss will undoubtedly feel guilty about it so Joss/Harry will have to overcome that.

27. christine says:

Family first. I respect her choice

28. Regina says:

They should bring in Shannen Doherty to replace her! ….kidding. But that sucks that they’re relocating the show and Alyssa can’t go with her family. I think she made the right decision. Also I hated the Joss and Harry thing too so it’ll be kinda nice not to have to deal with all that drama.

29. ankga says:

who care!! its garbage show anyway,,

30. sarah j says:

This is really sad news. She is the lead of the show and I can not imagine it without her. For her I guess moving her kids to Vancouver for a few months is not what she wants to do. However tons of actors/actresses do that and they seem to be fine. Her kids are not in school yet and so now would be the time to do it. I am sure the show will just get this one final season and it would be nice if she could commit to it.

31. spindae2 says:

I understand Alyssa’s decision and really respect it. But they set up such a great story for season 3 and now they have to cut it together. I doubt they will recast the role.

32. Holly says:

Disappointing that she’s going to leave the show, but I can’t blame her. Having small kids myself, I understand where she’s coming from. Good luck Alyssa!

33. Kristen w says:

I love Alyssa Milano as Savi, but why not just get a new actress to play her. I cant imagine a show without Savi.

34. bj says:

I’m wondering if her character leaves, how is this going to affect Jason George’s status. After all, Dominic is there because of his connection to Savi.

35. Brendan says:

She seems to the core of the show. All the friends, her sister, her ex-husband. Without her the show seems to have lost it’s soul…. it also robs the third season of the fallout from the HUGE betrayal from Joss and Harry (who were not just embracing, they were on the ground about to have sex). I already was unhappy with the show’s decision to make that couple happen and happening during the wedding to Scott was just wrong and completely desperate. They wanted a shocking ending, they made it happen and now the person who I was most interested in seeing have a reaction won’t be coming back. Instead, they can just keep Joss and Harry a couple and write her sister off the show. Boo. Fail.

36. Tammy says:

Like anything else. You replace her. Look how well Two and a Half Men turned out. I don’t watch that show but it’s still airing. It’s possible. Just start looking now for someone just as cute as Milano is!

37. Donnelle says:

The show will not be the same without Alyssa Milano… She makes the show worth watching, she’s the reason why myself and a lot of people watch the show.. We love Alyssa to bits…. It will be very, very sad if she’s not in it 😐😦😧but her family comes first, that’s a very high understanding on her part, I will continue to watch the…. At the end of the day, she has to do what’s right and what’s best for her… Still love her☺😊

38. Hopefully she doesn’t pull a Christopher Meloni and not film an exit scene

39. Kalee says:

I’m not so as shocked that Milano is leaving, but that she’s leaving for a very good reason. Vancouver does not equal L.A. and it’s quite silly that they have to move and pass it off as so now.

Hope ABC (or California) overturns this because these are two ways to quickly kill off a show.

• Kiki says:

Yeah see Vancouver equals LA, Seattle and every little forsaken little town the Winchester boys ever visited to pretty much every “planet” visited in recent science fiction. Like The 100. Plus we’re now bringing you Storybrook, Vancouver is also the home of Arrow And the move the other way can be just as deadly, as happened with the XFiles. We’ve had people move here to film and do everything from start their families to stay and apply for citizenship. It used to be mainly Fox and smaller networks that migrated north, but now that ABC is doing it too maybe the issue is down there.

40. IMHO says:

I have always liked Alyssa Milano but frankly Savi was starting to get on my nerves.
    I can certainly understand her reasons for not wanting to relocate to Vancouver but it seems like some sort of comprimise could of been made between the Producers & Milano.
    A few guest episodes perhaps which wouldn’t require relocation . Usually just a week per episode out of town.

41. K says:

I’m heartbroken, I only watch the show for her. I love it’s soapy fun appeal and dramatic storylines but Alyssa was the glue that held it together. It seems selfish but I don’t think I’d want it to continue without her!

42. Kendal says:

Understandable from Milano’s standpoint. Maybe ABC should have considered whether it was worth bringing a show back that needed such an upheaval. Disappointed as I was particularly looking forward to there fallout from Harry/Jos.

43. Kesha says:

The show is too new for her to leave. I like the show but it’s not going to be the same without Savi. They should have a two hour series finale to show how it ends cause after season 3 it’s gonna end anyway. Why waste the time?? Sorry it came to this. I enjoyed my summer time tv.

44. Eli says:

Well I love Alyssa but Savi is a very boring confused character! So it is better she is written off and they inroduce another popular actor as part of the foursome. Let’s face it even when Alyssa was there the ratings of the show were pretty average. Also, when you are on a show like Mistresses you can’t afford to be pregnant so I think it is better this way. And no! she is not the main character…they are four main characters and that’s why the show is called Mistresses.

45. anontvxpert says:

I’m going to start a list of possible replacements for Milano (going in a few different directions cuz we all know the door is now wide open with possibilities):
    Eva LaRue
    Denise Richards
    Heather Locklear
    Vivica A Fox
    Jamie Luner
    Vanessa Marcil
    Tiffani Theissen
    Melinda Clarke……… and the list can go on and on and on!

Who do you all think is worthy of replacing Alyssa?

• Nia says:

I think they should cast Jenni Garth lol. Now if their doing a recasting they should atleast make sure the sisters look similar coz let’s face it Joss and Savi never looked like sisters lol so now is their chance to cast someone who actually has some similar features. I would love Jennifer Love Hewitt too but she is doing another show:(

• jo welch says:

Jennifer love Hewitt would be great as a recast. Since Justin Hartley left the show will he be recast??? JH is coming to y &R. Cant wait to see him

46. Wendy says:

The show won’t be the same .. So so sad!!

47. Karen says:

Yes the others can carry it on, she relocates due to Her Sis and Harry hooking up.

48. Karen says:

Replace her with another actress and carry on…I love her but everyone can be replace #TWOANDAHALFMEN

49. meftana says:

They Have to Re-Cast so the Shows Season ender can play out. I really hope they re-cast her character. I cant wait to see what happens wither her sister and her ex. LOL

50. Cas says:

I watched the show because of her in season one. And I do like her character although I thought she was an idiot for giving up Harry for Dom. I do love Joss and Harry though and was looking forward to seeing the fallout of that. I mean nobody else really had any good storylines going on so seems kind of like I may not need to watch next summer. I liked April but her storyline is low key these days and Karen bored me all season long. So they better spice it up somehow.