Yvonne Strahovski to Reteam With Chuck Creator on Astronaut Wives Club

Yvonne Strahovski Astronaut Wives Club Season 1 Cast

The Astronaut Wives Club just got a lot hotter — like, burning up upon re-entry hotter — thanks to the addition of Chuck alum Yvonne Strahovski.

The actress will join the upcoming ABC series’ cast, HitFix.com reports, giving her the chance to once more work with Chuck co-creator (and Astronaut co-executive producer) Josh Schwartz.

RELATED Fall TV Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites

The new drama is penned by Gossip Girl‘s Stephanie Savage, Schwartz’s co-EP,  and follows a group of women who support their star-bound husbands during the 1960s space race. The action follows Lily Koppel’s 2013 bestseller, which chronicles the lives of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo mission crews’ spouses.

Strahovski’s Rene Carpenter is the wife of Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter, a modern woman whose passion for issues like civil rights will cause conflict with some of the other wives.

RELATED ABC Renews Mistresses for Season 3

The cast includes JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Once Upon a Time), Odette Annable (House), Kenneth Mitchell (Jericho) and Strahovski’s Dexter co-star, Desmond Harrington.

Though the period drama originally was set to premiere in summer 2014, production was halted in April while the series’ concept was expanded. The network has now tentatively scheduled Astronaut Wives Club for midway through the current TV season.

Strahovski, who spent five seasons as Chuck‘s glam spy Sarah, most recently appeared as CIA field operative Kate Morgan in 24: Live Another Day.

1. Nick says:

I believe it’s “Garcia Swisher”, since it was Garcia but she married Nick Swisher…

Also, Yvonne Strahovski…better turn on the AC. HOT

2. Shaun says:

Meh….think this show will fail

3. bj says:

They just gave me a reason to give it a try. The script must be good if she said yes.

4. Drew says:

And now I will have to try this show out.

5. Elle says:

I want to see a show about women who are astronauts, not wives of astronauts. When will Hollywood get a clue?

• Eric says:

They did that. It was called Extant, and it failed. (Although Gravity was admittedly awesome)

• Connie says:

This show clearly shows the struggles of those women and others of their time to be recognized as equals, let alone as independent capable professionals, as was Trudy Cooper, a licensed pilot in her own right. So, in that light, this show is a look at WHY you can claim the right to see shows about female astronauts. Without these women and the generations of feminists that followed —well–I hope you’re starting to get the picture. Don’t think that’s ancient history: check out the Wikipedia entries for the original Mercury Seven. Most don’t even list their wives’ names.

6. James D says:

not sure about the show itself but anything with Yvonne and I will at least try it out.

7. yay my favourite actress is back on my tv she is a busy girl

8. Pat says:

Even she can’t get me to watch this, just sounds boring as can be. But I could be wrong.

9. Mack says:

I’ll be the first one to say this, get Zachery Levi to guest spot on the show, wishful thinking I know.

10. Lindsey says:

I like Yvonne Strahovski, Joanna Garcia-Swisher, Odette Annable, and Josh Schwartz. I will definitely have to tune in for this.

11. Katniss says:

They already had my attention with Desmond and Odette but now I will have to check this one out. Hopefully this will be more in the vein of Mad Men than the OC or even Chuck.