Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Twist: [Spoiler] Recast!

Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Recast

Prepare to do a double take during tonight’s Grey’s Anatomy premiere (8/7c, ABC).

As previously reported, Shonda Rhimes’ medical soap will kick off Season 11 with a series of flashbacks depicting the love affair between Ellis Grey and Richard Webber — a tryst that we now know produced Meredith’s half-sister, Maggie.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites, Including Grey’s Anatomy

But TVLine has learned exclusively that the role of Young Kate Burton — originated by American Horror Story vet Sarah Paulson in Season 6 — will now be played by Army WivesSally Pressman.

Sally pressman scandalI’m told Paulson’s AHS: Freak Show shooting schedule precluded her from returning, which led the show to reach out to Pressman. (The actress has ties to Shondaland, having played the daughter of Lisa Kudrow’s character on Scandal last season).

VIDEO Grey’s Anatomy Season 11: Mer Finds Comfort in [Spoiler]‘s Arms

Additionally, sources confirm that Burton — who shot several flashback sequences herself — will no longer appear in tonight’s opener. She is expected, however, to turn up later in the season.

As of now, Pressman — who just last week landed a top-secret stint on Once Upon a Time — is on board for two Grey’s episodes, the second of which is slated to air later this fall (that ep will also feature Young Richard Webber, once again played by Angel‘s J. August Richards).

1. cdhaskell says:

It is amazing that all the hospital in the world that Meredith’s half sister pop up in the same hospital that Meredith is working. I can’t wait to see what happened in future episode.

• Dominique says:

no it’s not. maggie told richard she came to seattle because her mom worked in seattle grace/ grey sloan memorial.

• cdhaskell says:

Thank you for the information. I still can’t wait to see the meeting between the two Grey sister.

• Josh says:

It’s still a big coincidence. A doctor doesn’t decide to just say, “I want to work THERE!” They have to be matched to a hospital. So the fact that all three Grey sisters were matched into the same hospital is far-fetched…But in the many far-fetched plots of Greys, it’s kind of a drop in the bucket.

• Liz says:

Actually, it is, although less far-fetched than Lexie being able to switch her residency from Mass Gen to SG. (That’s not even close to how the “match” works.)

What I want to know is, how come Maggie knew who her birth mother was? If Ellis went to such great lengths to keep anyone from finding out she was pregnant, wouldn’t you assume she had a closed adoption?

• cdhaskell says:

Maggie’s parent didn’t do a good job keeping her birth mother’s ID a secret.

• Nrthrnlghts says:

If it was a closed adoption then the adoptive parents do not know either. Because Ellis is passed now, the adoption records can be opened. My brothers were put up for closed adoption. Both Bio-mom and bio-kids have to request to meet. Once the agency has both requests, they will then give the bio-kid the contact info. Knowing Ellis Grey, it was definitely a closed adoption

• cdhaskell says:

I wanted to thank you for the information about how Meredith discover her birth parent. I can’t wait to learn how the Grey sister will settle their differ in future episode.

2. Serena says:

Wait really?! It sucks that her scheduling didn’t work out cause I thought she played an AMAZING young Ellis Grey! She fit that part perfectly. I’m also bummed that Kate Burton won’t be in it at all?! I was looking forward to that tonight. Dammnit.

3. Coal says:

I hope its revealed to Meredith as soon as possible.

4. Chaya says:

I wish Meredith had a brother so J. August Richards could play him as a clone of his dad. Love that guy, and he hasn’t been on the air enough since Angel went off.

5. Adam says:

Young Kate Burton? Shouldn’t thay say “young Ellis Grey”?

And why is Ellis being cut from tonight’s episode. I was looking forward to that.

6. I’m betting the half sisters butt heads early and often. Dr Grey is a seasoned doc, and board member. If newbie sis decides to throw her weight around, watch for sparks to fly! Of course, Mer is not a cardio doc, so they won’t have that between them. Should make for some fun!

7. And I LoveLoveLove that we get to see Roxie as Ellis…. I miss her now that Army Wives is gone.

8. herman1959 says:

This is not really my show (I’m a Scandaler), but I think Pressman looks more like Burton.

9. Lana says:

Boooooo! Sarah Paulson should be in everything! She’s that awesome!

10. Lola says:

The young Ellis seemed to have BROWN eyes?! So I could never get on board with her. Glad she’s been recast.

11. scb says:

That’s a shame. The flashbacks were the only thing I was looking forward to tonight. I’ll still watch it though.

12. lisa says:

Ugh what a disappointed. Love Sarah Paulson

13. mj says:

Is it just me or has the background music louder? sounded like they were getting more into music with a heavier bass sound than dialog.
    Maybe it’s their goal to sell more CD’s at the end of the show.

14. It will be interested to see if Archie’s news series will be a hit. How many secret will come out of Grey’s past.