The Good Wife Season 6 Premiere Recap: You've Got... Jail?

The Line

The Good Wife is “Hitting the Fan” all over again.

And by that, I mean that our core characters’ dubiously planted seeds are yielding poisonous fruit and that the Season 6 premiere is on par with the show’s seminal Season 5 Episode 5 masterpiece in terms of pure, delectable tension, riveting performances and sharktooth-sharp writing and direction.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites, Including The Good Wife

In other words, showrunners Robert and Michelle King are seeing last year’s law-firm mutiny and major-character kill-off and raising it with the most dread-inducing prison scenes since HBO’s Oz, the prospect of an epic and awesomely ugly political campaign and an intern who’s putting the ante in her panties (or lack thereof).

So, without further delay, let’s discuss the comings and goings (and manipulatings and cuttings) of “The Line”:

THE CARY DIARIES | Following the Season 5 finale’s bombshell of Diane expressing an interest to join Florrick-Agos, we see Cary heading to his car. Out of nowhere, a pair of cops arrest him and leave him to hang out for hours on a Chicago precinct’s bench (his arm hanging from a hook above his head, his one phone call left unmade), enduring a strip search (side note: dude is ripped) and being sent into a dark cell that definitely will make an appearance in my Sept. 21, 2014 nightmare highlight reel.

RELATED Who Is TVLine’s Performer of the Week?

But Cary’s not afraid of the dark — or not so afraid that his brain CTRL+ALT+DELs. He finds a patsy to declare himself a Lockhart-Gardner client who (after struggling to remember poor Cary’s name) tips off David Lee and (more importantly) Kalinda to his predicament. Alicia, of course, learns the charges involve Cary allegedly giving advice on how to evade arrest to soldiers of Florrick-Agos’ very lucrative, very dangerous dealer client Lemond Bishop, and she promptly realizes her No. 1 task is delivering the bad news. Her underlying message — “Cary will not turn on you, Mr. Bishop, believe me” — makes Will Gardner furiously clearing Alicia’s desk seem like a grade-school game of gin rummy. (A high-stakes game of gin-rummy, but still… )

The LineCary’s astronomical bail (more on that in a moment) — and the fact that Chicago doesn’t have bail bonds — leads to some tense meetings at Florrick-Agos where that rat Carey Zepps is more interested in his livelihood than his partner’s actual life. (#nevertrustedhim #wheresclarkehaydenandhismoralcompass) Alicia, though, looks into a second mortgage, while the delightful Robyn offers her entire $15,000 in savings (plus money from her parents) to help the cause. (Alicia and Cary had better be faithful to their perky blonde investigator when the time comes, I swear).

Cary’s wealthy dad, though, turns out to only be good for $8,000 — and so, our fella remains jail-bound much further into the episode than I’d anticipated. At this point, an imprisoned cohort of Bishop makes nice with Cary and tells him the drug kingpin wants Cary’s finger — as a sign that he understands the stakes of cooperating with the state. Somehow, they settle on a deep, self-inflicted flesh wound to the palm, but Cary’s grim protest to Alicia and Diane — “I just fell down; it’s nothing serious” — turns out to be one of the bone-chillingest moments in Good Wife history. (OK, he’s repping a druglord, but Cary’s ultimately too decent to get shanked in the shower, right? ROBERT AND MICHELLE KING, Y’ALL BETTER ANSWER IN THE AFFIRMATIVE!)

Thankfully, Cary’s willingness to bleed brings Bishop to Florrick-Agos HQ — to have “a general conversation about [his] business holdings” — while Dexter Roja, the frontman for Bishop’s legit businesses — simultaneously and totes coincidentally delivers $1.5 million in cash to spring Cary from the coop. Oh, would that it were all so simple! (Read on to find out how things go sideways.)

SHARK FINN? | Methinks we’ve found a hole in the hull of the Finn Polmar-Alicia Florrick ‘ship. (Speaking of which, does Nestor Carbonell have any openings in his schedule?) Yep, it’s Matthew Goode’s flirty DA who’s pushed to have Cary’s bail equal the street value of the heroin he’s been charged with protecting. He then goes and gets Alicia disqualified from representing Cary. “You should be honored. I didn’t want to go up against you,” he tells his onetime ally, as she casually (yet beautifully visciously) asks if his vigor regarding he case involves his late, drug-addicted sister. (OUCH!) It all ends in a handshake and a smile, and I’m not sure if it’s hot, cold or all of the above. (Please weigh in down in the comments.)

WWKD | Um, yes, of course I mean “What Would Kalinda Do?” Everyone should ask themselves that question at least 15 times a day, sheesh. When The Lady Sharma hears from married former flame (and law-enforcement agent) Sophia moments before Cary’s arrest, she does the basic math and realizes the booty call was an attempt to keep her out of police clutches. Kalinda turns the tables on her lady flame by demanding to know the identity of the confidential informant from Bishop’s crew, but then gets sidetracked by the friendliest-but-threateningest of warnings from Bishop himself: “I don’t want you to pursue this line of investigation. Do you understand?” Sophia, though, has a final word of advice to Kalinda — “Your friend Cary — he’s guilty” — that makes you wonder if Mr. Agos bent the law, or at least colored outside the lines of the law, to keep a lucrative client on the Florrick-Agos roster. I mean, it’s not as if Cary and Alicia don’t know who Bishop is, or how he makes his money. But once you’ve locked hands and started a waltz with the devil, you can’t exactly complain if you glide into the seventh circle of hell, can you?

RUN, ALICIA, RUN | Isn’t it funny that the big bombshell of the Season 5 finale — which is reiterated in the opening scene of the Season 6 premiere — seems so gosh-darn quaint now? Yep, there’s Eli Gold, insisting Alicia would make a great state’s attorney. “You’re a brand. You’re Saint Alicia,” he offers. Her response — “I’m never saying ‘yes'” — is not the same as saying ‘no,’ is it? This sends Eli, and his hilarious/unemployed daughter Marissa, on a path toward polling peeps about Alicia’s chances in an election. Turns out, she’d crush incumbent James Castro, and Eli manages to get Peter interested in those numbers by arranging a meeting with the Governor and his estranged cronie that ends with Peter and James screaming in anger. “Find out if Alicia wants to run,” sighs Peter, but perhaps Eli is less interested in Alicia’s civic possibilities than in keeping her on a leash in light of hers and Peter’s strained marriage. “I’m the only one trying to keep Alicia on board!” he tells his boss, who, for the record, keeps on flirting with that redheaded intern who doesn’t need an actual name — thanks to her reputation for going commando at work. (In the episode’s funniest scene, Marissa mimes to Eli a chat between the hottie and the Governor: “Really, I have to wear panties?” “For decorum’s sake, yes.”) But when Marissa finally asks if the chick isn’t letting anything come between her and her Calvin (Klein skirt), the latter lady lifts up her garment and cooly replies, “Does that answer your question?” Um, would she be this baldly confident if she wasn’t de-briefing (ahem) Governor Florrick?

good wife season 6 premiere recaoFLORRICK-AGOS-LOCKHART? | Finally, there’s the matter of Diane and her intent to join former mutineers Alicia and Cary in their new venture. She tells Alicia over a breakfast that Cary (it turns out for good reason) skips, that she Kalinda is better than Robyn, and her employment at the new firm is a dealbreaker. Oh, and she wants an equal vote with Cary and Alicia — since she’s bringing “prestige and $38 million.” (Fair enough.) Still, Diane’s parting words, that she and Alicia will own “the largest firm in the country run by women,” makes me wonder if she’s noticed Cary has a penis under his expensive suits. Diane, meanwhile, tells David Lee and Louis Canning that she’s — LOL! — retiring, and that she wants “a dignified exit” from the firm. When Alicia stops by LG HQ to ask her old boss to represent Cary, however, the jig is up, and David and Louis begin waging a campaign to win over Diane’s former clients. (Of course they do!)

What did you think of The Good Wife Season 6 premiere? Are you nervous for Cary’s life or just excited for Matt Czuchry’s ability to show his acting chops? And will Alicia ultimately run? Sound off in the comments!

1. JJ says:

Were we watching the same episode? In no way does this compare to Hitting the Fan. I think this went too far into jump the shark territory. Maybe if it was contained to one episode, but I don’t want to see multiple episodes of the show once again beating up on Cary.

• Kim R says:

I agree on all points. I hope they wrap this up soon. I thought it was a good opener as long as it doesn’t drag out but would not compare at all to Hitting the Fan.

• Jeff Scott says:

I don’t assume Cary is innocent. If he is, they jumped the shark, if he’s not, this is a brilliant storyline. I don’t think he’s innocent.

2. C says:

Too much Cary. He’s the weakest part of the show.

3. If they physically hurt Cary (anymore than they already have), or make him guilty (of the accusations) or (God Forbid!) write him off, I will be done. (Kill off MJF instead, the ‘comedy’ he brings is annoying). This show gets me soooo riled up!!! Fantastic!

4. CA says:

Loved this episode. It’s about time we saw more of Cary (and shirtless, no less!) since he has been pushed to the back far too much over the course of the series. Things did move extremely fast (maybe too fast?) but I am so excited to see what else is in store for us this season. Major compliments to everyone involved. Six seasons, and going strong!

5. Jeff says:

The Lemond Bishop storyline has consistently been my least favorite, so this season is looking iffy…but even this is better than most shows.

• Gail Logerquist says:

I agree completely. Am a little disappointed the Bishop storyline is so high profile. However, still enjoyed the episode, and Matt’s acting was amazing.

6. Kevin Dillon says:

Those who “angry” about seeing more of Cary or having more Cary in this show, are not watching the same show as the rest of us!

After season two Cary’s story seemed to evaporate, much like Kalinda, he was there and did things, but I wanted more. The genius chess players have found a way to fully realize Cary this season in all his glory, and if I know their work, which I think I do, these two have a great story arc ready to play out. I think this could be a great Emmy tape for Matt btw!

• Lucy says:

Cary haters. They never have a rest. It’s a 24 hours job.

• DW says:

I couldn’t have said it better. Matt Czuchry was absolutely great tonight. I am so glad to finally see him get some storytime. Cary has always been my favorite character because he shined even with the limited screen time. He rose above that obstacle. Tonight was great to see. Now, more than ever, I am on Cary’s side all the way. And that little rat, Carey Zepps, it’s time for him to be the first one out that door. Robyn and Kalinda were great. Zepps can GTH.

7. Jan G says:

Hate seeing Cary railroaded. I don’t want this to be drug out episode after episode. Tired of the show showing friends not standing up for each other. Entire episode had me upset. I’m wanting to see good things happen for Alicia and Carey and their newly formed firm.

• DW says:

I just thought of this and I don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it: last year the Kings said there was reason for adding “Carey” Zepps to the cast and it would be explained in the storyline. Now I’m thinking it was Zepps who gave the info to Bishop’s crew and they have mistakenly arrested the wrong Cary! That would also help explain a lot about that creep Zepps. What do you think?

• Katrina Scott says:

That’s a great theory.

BTW, I don’t understand all the bashing of Cary (Matt). He’s a good actor and I love his relationship with Alicia and Kalinda.

And I really don’t understand the “jumping the shark” comments in regards to this episode. While this episode was not “Hitting the Fan,” it was still a great season opener. It makes me wonder if people really know what “jumping the shark” means.

Ok, one more thing, I like Alicia and Finn. He can NEVER replace Will in her life. (I still can’t believe Will is dead!) But they’ve got chemistry. She can’t mourn forever.

• Pam says:

I think the “jumping the shark” comments and the bashing has to do with the fact that some fans are angry about Will’s death. It was Josh Charles’s decision but apparently their way to cope is to bash another character and actor. If that makes feel them better…but it’s not going to change the fact that was a great season premiere and that Matt Czuchry was excellent and Kings have pointed out that they want to give Cary and Matt Czuchry a more prominent role that season. I think they’ve to cope with this too. Or maybe they should just stop to watch the show.

8. nikki says:

More Marissa Gold!

• C says:

For REAL. Best TV daughter ever.

• jenna says:

agreed!! I loved the premiere, its nice to see cary get his own storyline and i’m intrigued how this will affect the reputation of florrick agos. My one hope for the season is that kalinda gets a makeover!! I can’t be the only one whose noticed that shes had the same hairstyle for the past 5 seasons (minus 1 episode in season 4)

• jj says:

haha agreed! I would be floored if she wore it down one day! Its weird seeing a characters style look so dated on a television show, I mean look at Alicia. She got her makeover in season 3 and looks about 10 years younger

9. Jaime says:

I really liked that the King’s decided to explore the consequences of them representing a drug dealer, it has been a long time coming. Great to see more Matt Czuchry, hopefully that continues and he isn’t sidelined being in jail. For too long he has been underused.

10. Mike R. says:

Whether you are happy about the turn of events or not, I think we can all easily agree we did not see this coming, not only was I convinced that Cary vs Diane joining the firm assumed to be the main conflict of the earlier part of the season, but Cary going to prison because of Bishop, it just came out of nowhere, but also made sense and I loved it. I mean poor Cary, he seems to always have a rough time, but this is much better than the alternative of him having nothing to do all season (again!), so I hope this is finally the chance for Matt to shine.

Also loved seeing Marisa again, of all the kids on the show she is by far my favorite, hopefully she sticks around for a little while.

I actually grew on the Alicia running for SA in this episode, I mean I always thought the show would come here at some point, and while I don’t want her to say yes quite yet, I’m confident the show will convince me it’s the right move when she actually caves.

Overall, excellent premiere to what looks like a very promising season 6, I just want Diane to hurry up and bail LG before Lee and Canning take anymore of her clients.

11. Steven says:

Love Cary and I love that they’re giving him more to do, but the poor guy can not seem to catch a break. And as much as I enjoy the idea of Diane joining Florrick Agos her words about it being the largest firm owned by women made me very nervous. Great to have the show back though. Still one of the best dramas on TV right now.

• DW says:

That comment by Diane made me nervous too. I would remind the writers that Cary formed his law firm before Alicia joined. It was be so wrong for Cary to be forced out of his firm by Diane & Alicia. It did help though when Diane agreed to help Cary. Maybe they’ll patch things up and go on from there.

12. abz says:

I just LOVE this show. I can’t even figure out if there was a part I disliked from the premiere.
    It just gets better and better.
    I loved seeing Eli’s daughter again. I hope she sticks around because here scenes were hilarious.
    I’m really hoping for Kalinda to have a nice story arc this season and hopefully Cary is released soon and they can finally form Florrick Agos & Lockhart and Alicia can maybe work with Kalinda again (but they better not let go of Robyn because she’s awesome too)

13. Dani says:

AMAZING. Once again.
    Okay, a couple of things… If Alicia does run for State’s Attorney (please, Alicia, please!) her representing Bishop (and Sweeney) is going to be a big deal for her campaign. I’m intrigued, I wanna know how Eli would handle that.
    UMMMMMMMM why didn’t they call Elsbeth to represent Cary? she would’ve gotten him out lol
    Also is Kelli Giddish no longer on SVU? (I haven’t been watching so idk) How did they manage to bring her on?

• Emma says:

Easy. Series regs are allowed three guest star appearances per cycle. That’s standard boilerplate language. Furthermore, when Giddish’s contracted was negotiated with SVU, her agents would have stipulated that she recurs on TGW and would have asked that if TGW wanted her, SVU would use “best efforts” to release her. Finally, she had two small scenes, easy to shoot out in a day, two days max.

14. Thanks for finally writing about >The Good
    Wife Season 6 Premiere Recap: Cary Agos Arrested on Drug Charge | TVLine <Loved it!

15. Hamza says:

I was also expecting Cary to be released after those intense prison scens (took chilling to the whole next level), but by the end of the episode I realized that this isn’t just another procedural. Will be interesting to see where the storyline goes from here. Brilliant episode once again.

16. T says:

I liked the show better when 50% of the show was actually about trying cases and the process of getting their clients acquitted. It’s too heavily focused on the character’s as individuals and the drama that surrounds them. Really not a fan of this Cary storyline.

• Tfor2 says:

Totally agree, T. The case-of-the-week portion is what I’ve enjoyed about the show as well. Like you, I would prefer to keep the soap opera elements to 50% or less.

• Jeff Scott says:

I hear you, but give them a little latitude. I think they’ll get back to cases, there was just A LOT of shuffling that has to be dealt with in the wake of Wills death. Things need to play out but I don’t think cases will be neglected once we reach a new stability.

• tvlover44 says:

wow, i totally disagree. i can’t stand procedurals. i don’t enjoy any show i could watch out of order, with stand-alone episodes; i’m much more engaged by character and ongoing narrative. and while i’ve always appreciated how TGW integrated the cases of the week into their characters’ storylines, they’ve often been the *least* compelling parts of the show for me (thought not at all to the same degree as ‘castle’ which basically sacrifices character development for a certain percentage of each episode being taken up by the case of the week – drove me crazy, before i gave up entirely on that show). if you’re so into cases of the week, then you can always watch one of the zillions of other procedurals on tv right now (too many to count on CBS itself, including the NCIS and CSI franchises).

i always felt from what i read after TGW began that the cases of the week were included so regularly early-on based on ‘notes’ from the network. i’ve so enjoyed the increasing emphasis on serialized stories on TGW and i’m hoping the showrunners continue in this vein.

and what a fantastic, engaging, emotional season premiere – loved it!

• Coal says:

I disagree with you, the characters are lawyers and giving the show a case of the week gives you an honest depiction that these characters have actual day jobs and if the show was to only revolve around serialized plots it would just resemble the late night soaps on ABC (Revenge, Nashville, Scandal) withdrawn out ungratifying story arcs. To me a great show has have a couple of central story lines a season which are resolved by the end of the season while still showcasing the characters daily lives (case of the week) or I might aswel be watching daytime tv.

• tvlover44 says:

you are reductively equating serialized tv drama with soap opera – there are plenty of television dramas which are not (‘sopranos’/’the wire’/’breaking bad’), though, as my examples reflect, they have been mostly on cable in recent years.
          furthermore, we can be shown both 1) lawyering (to put it colloquially) and 2) the characters’ daily lives (both work and home) *without* having the case-of-the-week formula. there can be some cases that last more than one episode, or some cases that are just a small portion of an episode, and some episodes that don’t have them at all. (this is not to mention that the world of politics is just as much a feature of this show as the world of law firms, another unique characteristic.)
          in other words, TGW can give characters’ work and home life plenty of dimension by *not* adhering to the typical procedural formula, which introduces a new case at the start of each episode, features it as the “A” story while any non-case character story/ies is shoehorned into the “B” or “C” story, and then wraps up that case in a neat little bow at the end of the episode. and yes, there are shows that do follow that formula and yet still have the occasional longer story arc, as you mention – and i suggest you go watch one of them and allow those of us who do not enjoy such formulas this brilliant drama which is a beacon amongst the (mostly) dreck of the rest of the broadcast network fare.

• DW says:

I agree with you. TGW shines because it doesn’t dwell only on the legal procedural parts.
        If it was all courtroom and legal proceedings it would be just another procedural of which there are far too many now. The increased serialized stories are a big breath of fresh air. Bravo to TGW and CBS.

17. Hayes says:

I wish The Good Wife would stay out of the Lemond Bishop well. There’s is nothing likeable about any storyline involving him. It sucks the life out of the show. There’s plenty of characters and storylines to play with.

18. saabgirlatx says:

Great episode, but a couple of call outs: the scene where Alicia told the clients that Diane was coming to F/A…hadn’t Diane just said she would talk to the clients herself? Scene seemed out of place and an obvious marker that Canning and Lee would find out Diane’s spin. I thought the darkness of the jail scenes illustrated the graveness of the situation. If he’d been let out immediately it would be no biggie. Also, totally saw electricity when Finn and Alicia”made up” after court. Liked it!!

19. 3dhouseofmagic says:

• Oops, didn’t know it posted!!!

• mismanagingeditor says:

Diane told Canning/Lee she wanted to tell the clients herself that she was “retiring,” to keep them at bay for the short term. Separately, Alicia met with clients and explained legally Diane can’t recruit them until she leaves the firm and no longer has a partner’s fiduciary responsibilities.

20. Emily says:

I wonder if Alicia will end up running to help Cary. Diane then could take over running the firm until Cary’s issues are sorted out. Amazing premiere episode.

21. Hi Hi. says:

I don’t think any episode can be compared to Hitting the Fan. This was a great episode. I’m not a huge Cary fan but this was good. His acting was incredible. I think it was the best season opener.

22. Tina says:

Would’ve loved to watch the whole season premiere but Directv only recorded 30 min of it then CSI LV aired for last 30 min!! I can’t even tell you how many times the very same thing happen last season!!! Super frustrating!!! Glad I got the scoop on this site!!!

23. Jeff Scott says:

Everyone seems to assume Cary is innocent. Don’t take that for granted. Finn is bringing the charges, and he has something no one else (not me, not you, none of the characters) has seen: the evidence. Finn is an honest guy. He wouldn’t request bail at 1.3 million without a really, really good reason.

• DW says:

Sorry, but you’ve got to be kidding here. The evidence Finn has here is from a CI and I’m sure Kalinda will find out that tape is bogus too. Finn was very dislikeable tonight. Too smug and not like he was last year. He was the weakest part of the episode. Cary has always been the most ethical of all the lawyers on this show and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

24. Somes rt says:

This just made me lol : #wheresclarkehaydenandhismoralcompass
    The episode was amazing. Everything fit. The actors, the plot, the guest stars , the music. God I missed this show.
    And to the people that didn’t like it: you’re entitled to your opinion. No matter how wrong it is .

25. Britt says:

Matt’s performance was utterly amazing (next Emmy nomination, please!!!).
    The only criticism was that the episode should have been 2hours. It seemed a little rushed – especially the parts where Diane gets ‘found out’ by her partners. While David Lee is certainly conniving, I’m not sure he would have realistically picked up on Diane’s plans that quickly. The little stuff between major plot twists are normally GOLDEN – but today seemed a little silver. Overall, great ep (especially since we all got to see Cary shirtless – YUM)

26. Topaz says:

Disagree so much with the comments above. Thought Matt Czuchry did a great job this episode and it’s really good to see him have something to sink his teeth into. His story is relatively unexplored and so that gives the writers lot of new directions to go in. Given how bad Cary is at showing vulnerability and opening up to other characters, the pressure he’s under now should offer a lot of interesting character development. His Dad only offered £8,000! He doesn’t really talk to his colleagues about his difficult relationship with his family. It’s going to be uncomfortable for all of them to learn things about Cary he’d rather have kept private.

It’s also not jumping the shark. You might find the story implausible, even sensationalist, but jumping the shark would be “Alicia and Cary decide to open a shopping mall!” This story is hardly out of left field. It’s entirely of a piece with existing plot threads that have developed over several seasons. They’ve represented Bishop going way back through Lockhart Gardner and it regularly lands them in ethical quandaries and causes issues for their other clients. The DA’s office regularly tries to insinuate that they might be up to something and hints at corruption, and there have been times previously where they’ve feared for their safety because of Bishop’s willingness to hurt anyone that might be a threat. All of the lawyers on the show dance the line of legality all the time, so that puts genuine doubt in our mind about whether Cary might have actually broken the law in this case. Cary’s not the first character who’s faced accusations of illegal or unethical behaviour – Will was suspended from practising for six months, and got off lightly at that. Cary’s arrest will also affect lots of other ongoing plot threads and dynamics, such as Diane’s transfer, the success of Florrick Agos, Alicia’s relationship with Finn, Cary’s relationship with Kalinda, and even Alicia’s chances of being SA if she decides to run – and that’s something the writers do all the time. Throw a spanner in the works so all the characters’ carefully laid plans are thrown in disarray. And that’s just good TV storytelling. It raises the stakes, yes, but there’s nothing jump the sharky about this storyline at all.

27. Lauren says:

Incredible. I’m really psyched that they’re giving Matt Czuchry the chance to show his acting chops, but God, I spent half the episode crying ‘Careeeeeeey’. So much tension! I also really love Finn, even though I feel as though I’m cheating on Will. Really excited for this season!

28. A-Mi says:

I’m never disappointed by The Good Wife.

29. RReg says:

I see nothing wrong with the Bishop storylines. He adds a cup of menace that I like.

30. iceturkee says:

what i love about the good wife is just when you think you have it figured out, you get hit by the curveball!

31. I so thought Kalinda would be sent to jail and Cary would defend her, even though she’s totally guilty, and not the other way around. And the thought of Marissa spending two years in the IDF is as unrealistic as it is unpleasant, she surely was slacking off in a kibbutz or in Tel Aviv juice bars, or something

32. ScorpionGlow says:

Excellent episode, but it disturbed me on many levels. I want Cary out of jail, period.

33. david says:

i got so much anxiety :)

34. ange says:

The best part of the show was the exchange between Eli and his daughter. She was awesome!

35. Christine says:

if cary (matt c.) had been more nekked, it would have been an A. at least in my book.

36. MADDIE CARROLL says:

JUST DID NOT LIKE THE JAIL SCENES, I AM NOT FOND OF RATS IN JAIL GETTING AWAY WITH HARRASSMENT AND POLICE WHO THROW THEIR WEIGHT AROUND JUST TOO UPSETTING, MICHAEL DID A GREAT JOB BUT HORRIBLE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT GET AWAY WITH THINGS THAT ARE JUST HORRIFIC TO ME . I WANT DECENCY TO BE UPHELD NOT BAD, NO WONDER THE WORLD IS A MESS I AM NOT WATCHING ANYMORE, EVEN THOUG I LIKE ALL THE ACTORS

37. JB says:

The episode was amazing. It made me so happy. This show is just so great. When you think the premiere is going to be about one thing it ends up being about something different that infuses all the plot lines from last season.

Matt Czuchry was underutilized last season. To people wondering if Cary is guilty, I think his comments on tape will lie in a total grey area, which is much more interesting that just being flat out guilty or innocent. The show loves moral ambiguity. I also loved that Alicia realized the most important thing was not getting Cary’s bail, but in convincing Bishop that Cary wouldn’t snitch.

38. Becky says:

This has been my favorite show since it began and it continues to be the one show I will not miss! I am always disappointed and surprised when the hour is already over!

39. I’m glad to see Cary getting more screen time and I adore Lemond Bishop so this was a good episode for me. I was also glad to see the return of Sophia. She’s the only girlfriend of Kalinda’s I’ve ever liked. Although I don’t know why anybody bothers with Kalinda anymore since she routinely manipulates everyone around her.

40. Luis says:

The Bishop storyline has been flitting around the edges of the show for years now; it was obviously going to come to fruition at some point, so now is as good a time as any. As a criminal defense attorney, I have been interested and impressed by the way the show has handled the professional and ethical questions that representing Bishop have raised, so I am interested in watching how the story develops. I only hope it means another appearance by Wallace Shawn!

41. JJ says:

I gotta say, this show is so good, that I have this big smile on my face every time I watch it! The writing is just so smart!

42. MandaJ says:

I felt sick watching Cary go through the incarceration process. Maybe too sick, I was wanting to fast forward through scenes. Too bad I was watching live!

43. D. says:

Best.Tv.Series.On.Air.
    Last night’s episode was simply amazing.

44. Michael says:

Speaking as a lawyer, the cool interaction between Alicia and Finn was brilliant. However, the parting handshake was absolutely typical of lawyers. I’ve stood in court screaming and complaining about this and that, had opposing counsel hit me with a barrage of comments, and once the hearing ends, it’s all like “so how are kids? You free for lunch?” Loved it. P.S. More shirtless Cary scenes please.

45. Antoinette says:

Absolutely loved the season premiere! So glad to see Cary gaining more exposure! As always this show never disappoints me!

46. delfiteblu says:

I can’t TELL you how much I do NOT want to spend the entire season with Cary in jail. He has never been one of my favorite characters – his eyes always look like he just smoked a joint – and I don’t want to have to concentrate on him for the next six months. I’m not crazy about Alicia as State’s Attorney and I hated what Finn did. So on your poll I’m voting that it was only okay and I’m not sure I really mean even THAT. Madam Secretary was really good; almost seemed like it could have been written by Aaron Sorkin.

47. Amie says:

I really, really hated this episode. If I wanted to watch OZ, I would’ve watched OZ. I didn’t. It’s just too grim and awful for this show. THE GOOD WIFE is not now and never has been a prison drama. We already went through Will’s client’s woes inside and how that manifested in Will’s death. That worked, but not because of the prison trauma.

• abz says:

People need to calm down about the prison scenes being so terrifying and brutal because they weren’t really. They were terrible yes but compared to other things on TV, they were actually pretty tame (see Sons of Anarchy for truly brutal prison scenes). And it’s not like TGW hasn’t shown prison in the past. We’ve seen Peter in prison and other clients in prison.

48. Anna says:

Can Marissa Gold be in every episode now, please? I love her dynamic with Eli and since Eli’s my favourite, that’s pretty damn enjoyable to watch!
    Also, FREE CARY!

49. Coal says:

The Globes or the Emmys should introduce a category for best ensemble guest stars, TGW would definitely take it.

50. Deion says:

Ok, Kings! I turned the corner long ago on Cary. He doesn’t need a redemption story or to be cast as a villain. However, Cary fans are out in force angry that their guy is now the CENTER of attention? Most of this episode was about the scramble to help Cary, but a story line with the potential to give Matt Czuchry a real chance to put his skill on display and we’re acting like the Kings are “beating up on Cary again”. Let the story be told!

• Pam says:

What fans? They only “fans” who are angry about that storyline are a bunch of haters who never liked the character (or the actor) and are livid because now he’s getting his own big storyarch. As Cary fan I’m all for that storyline to continue. Matt Czuchry was great and I hope Kings will keep doing those things with the character. He was wasted for too long.