Sons of Anarchy Recap: All Guns, No Roses

Sons of Anarchy Season 7 Episode 2

I think it’s safe to say the Sons of Anarchy went easy on us this week.

After last Tuesday’s super-sized, thoroughly brutal premiere, the final season’s second installment was much less of a roller coaster ride — y’know, as far as Sons of Anarchy episodes go.

But with this being the Sons’ final ride, even Tuesday’s tame (by comparison) hour wasn’t without its share of bloodshed.

Read on to learn what took place during “Toil and Till”:

RELATED  Ratings: Sons of Anarchy Begins Final Season With Series Highs

RUNNING OUT OF JUICE | At Wendy’s house, Juice finally frees a bound and gagged Unser from his uncomfortable spot in the bathtub. Then, it’s time for the two men to chat. Unser knows that Gemma is the one keeping Juice safe (after all, she and Unser are the only ones with keys to the place), and Juice reveals he’s hiding from the club on account of “old sins.” Sensing that Juice has no game plan or final destination, Unser pops the million-dollar question: “You want my help?”

Following what we can only assume was a resounding yes from Juice, Unser ventures to the sheriff’s office, where he meets newly instated Sheriff Jarry (The Bridge’s Annabeth Gish) and offers his police expertise, especially where Tara’s murder is concerned. Jarry agrees to bring Unser on as a consulting investigator, and hands over all the files related to Tara’s case — but not before Unser urges the new sheriff not to write off SAMCRO as white trash. “Jax Teller is formidable,” Unser warns. “As smart as he is dangerous.”

Later, Unser pays Gemma a visit to tell her that he knows of Juice’s whereabouts (but doesn’t plan to spill the beans to the club). It’s nice to see Gemma putting friendship over club rule, Unser says, while all of us at home practically scream, “If you only knew what she’s done!” (Or, uh, maybe I’m the only one screaming that?) When Unser goes to the trailer for a nap, Gemma brings him some tea, and subsequently sees the paperwork for his new investigative gig. She gets emotional when faced with the photos of Tara’s grisly death, but the guilt seems overshadowed by her concern that Unser will find out who the real culprit is. Gemma stops by Wendy’s place and gives Juice everything he needs to get the hell outta Dodge — including a burner phone, money and the keys to her dad’s house, where he can stay until things calm down. But when Juice hits the road and fails to muster enough courage to talk to Chibs on the phone, he ends up returning to Wendy’s, looking more distressed than ever.

RELATED  Sons of Anarchy Boss on Lea Michele’s ‘Frumpy, Makeup-Free’ Season 7 Guest Stint: ‘She Completely Went There’

GUNNED DOWN | Elsewhere in the episode, SAMCRO begins its dismantling of the Lin Triad, beginning with the Chinese gang’s next gun delivery. (“We’re going to unravel Lin. Take apart his business,” Bobby explains. “But for now, no one can know it’s us.”) Tig and Ratboy tail the Chinese to a private road where the delivery will go down, while Jax, Bobby and Chibs enlist back-up from Jury and the Indian Hills gang, including two “local muscle” associates that Jury says can be trusted. (Hi, Finn from Gilmore Girls!)

SAMCRO’s interception of the gun delivery goes mostly according to plan (in short: lots of casualties, both Triad members and their gun customers), save for one of Lin’s associates hopping into a truck and attempting escape. Jax and Chibs successfully chase him down, though, promptly shooting him after cracking open a briefcase full of heroin — Lin’s payment in exchange for the guns. It isn’t long before an angry Lin learns of the gun delivery shakedown, but Nero defends Jax (who set up the gun exchange in the first place), while Jax and Bobby similarly deny any involvement in the ordeal.

But there’s still some loose ends to tie up, and Jax, Bobby and Chibs are off to take care of it. They pay Indian Hills’ local muscle men a visit, under the guise of paying them for providing a truck at the gun delivery. Instead, they kill both of the men, then set up Lin’s heroin and the guns to make it look like the two associates infiltrated Lin’s gun delivery earlier that day. Moments later, Jury arrives at the house and upon entering, finds both of the men dead at the hand of Jury’s own gun. As he cradles one of the dead bodies — which seems to be that of Jury’s now-deceased son — Jax finally heads to Gemma’s and is reunited with his own boys, where he cradles a sleeping Abel in much the same way. Sob.

Other highlights of the hour:

* When Abel begins asking questions about his parents’ whereabouts — specifically, and heartbreakingly, why his mom has gone to heaven — Gemma gets surprisingly verklempt while trying to explain the situation to her grandson. “Because your mommy was an angel,” Gemma says, tearful. “And all angels go to heaven.”

* On their way to sign up Abel for pre-school, Nero and Wendy bond over their past struggles with drug abuse. When Nero accidentally makes a dig at his baby mama for using during her pregnancy, resulting in their son’s spina bifida, Wendy takes the negative comment in stride, admitting that the more messed up Jax’s family is, the more Wendy wants to be a part of it. It’s a backwards bonding moment for the pair, but something tells me we shouldn’t take these moments of levity for granted.

* Prior to SAMCRO’s takeover of the gun delivery, Jax encounters August Marks, who is sorry to hear that there’s no leads on Tara’s case. He urges Jax to think clearly and act rationally when they do find her killer. Jax solemnly swears, “When I find out who killed my wife, I won’t do a thing until the time is right.” I smell foreshadowing!

OK, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

This was an alright ep. Tig and Ratboy’s scene was hilarious oh tig you little freak……Gemma and her crocodile TEARS telling poor Abel about Tara made me rolling my eyes the guilt is now starting to catch up to her, now that ol’ hag Unser is on the case(Tara’s murder) sh*t can’t he ‘right away’ connect the dots? Tho. it seems like he will next ep. Overall I can’t wait for next Tuesday Juice and Chibs coming FACE TO FACE?….WTF!

2. Kait says:

I barely remember S6, but did Jury do something to wrong the club that those guys were killed? Or did they just need fall guys?
    I honestly thought it was gonna be a set-up the other way around when the guys showed up to pay them. As soon as Jax said he’d give them money when they were at the truck I was like noooo don’t trust them Jax!

• Jacob says:

Basically, Jax needed fall guys to take the blame for Lin losing his assets. Jax orchestrated the staged deaths of the “local muscle”, but it appears now that one of them was Jury’s son (although he never previously mentioned). Jury saw the shotgun he used and realized what happened. No doubt this will unravel.

• Kait says:

Thought so, I wasn’t sure if I was forgetting something from the past. And it was odd he didn’t recognize it as his son considering he used to call him “Uncle Jury” I believe. And yeah that specific gun is gonna bite them in the ass, that is if Jury doesn’t use it on himself like I thought he was gonna for a second

• confused about bbby says:

I am confused as to why bobby is just mowing people down. I thought he was moving the club out of this kind of work? I understand Lin’s men, thinking he was responsible for taras murder. However, cold blooded murder of club help? I need help to understand why his character is ok with killing whoever, for whatever.

• Kait says:

I think the whole Bobby thing last season we were meant to think it was him trying to get Nomads to join him on the road but then be bad a weird change of mind and said it was him trying to recruit members for the home charter (SAMCRO) since their numbers were dwindling

• Joe says:

He did mention it. He told Jax they were local muscle and that one of them was his boy.

• Kait says:

Yeah I’m re-watching now Jax asked Jury “where did you find em?” “One of my boys, we can trust em” but it was kind of ambiguous whether meaning word from one of his boys (club) vouched for them like I’m assuming Jax took it or Jury meaning “it’s one of MY boys” as in his son, which now it seems that way

• Fahq says:

As that other dude says. After pass 3.. I’m thinking it was a big mistake that will unravel big time

3. Bwhit says:

Unser knows, I don’t think he’s connecting the dots, there connected and he is going to be a catalyst for Jax finding out. It wasn’t a mistake that he left those pictures and his ID out. Wendy saying she likes the chaos that Jax and Gemma bring is exactly the reason why she shouldn’t get the boys. At this point no one is a good candidate. I hope there is redemption for Jax, because that last scene with Abel proved there is still a human in there.

4. Rdub says:

Juice didn’t return to Wendy’s. He was at Gemmas Dads house.

5. fastest growing bail agency in Orange County says:

The pain, stiffness and disomfort oof injuries that stemm from automobile accidents can stay along for the rest of the life.
    i – Post Bail Bonds, an organization that is reliable, honest,
    discreet and professional. The bipl signjng ceremonies followed hawaii Senate’s approval
    (bythe single vote) earlier in the month of nearly $8 billion in state and federal monery to develop the initial section with tthe line within the Central Valley
    and also to make a series of transportation infrastructure improvements iin LA annd
    also the Bay Area.

6. Fahq says:

Way I look at the uncer and Tara and the consulting situation is uncer is getting into it to help, he loved Tara and wants to get to the bottom of it, of course gemia will screw up things and not just ask him what’s up, wouldn’t be suprised if she gets him killed or almost killed or kills him.. Uncer loves gema don’t think even if he knew he’d turn her in- again he’s just trying to help by getting back into the law side to keep tabs on the new sherif and help with finding Tara’s killer ? Yeah whatver my thoughts

7. Fahq says:

Argh! Bottom line jax told jury his whole plan at the fruit stand, he asked about the muscle- jury doesn’t mention it’s his boy! Think it was a big mistake that gonna kick jax in the a$$

8. Sarah says:

Unser definitely fed Gemma the lie about what Juice said “putting friends first,” to see if Gemma would play along. He then pretended to be asleep and let her see the documents while he carefully observed her reaction. You can mark my words. I’m so in Kurt Sutter’s head right now

• Fahq says:

When did juice say that ? Watched it 3x but kinda buzzed. ):

• Amanda says:

He was a snitch, Jax found out 5th (or 4th) season and told him not to do it again, but at the end of season 6, he told club business to someone, I can’t remember….

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Jax found out in S5 by Roosevelt and in S6 Nero told jax what Juicy did to that girl the mother of the boy who had a samcro gun @ the school shooting.

• Bwhit says:

I think so too. Unser figured it out as soon as he saw Juice’s things at Wendy’s house and Juice tied him up. He kept trying to bait Juice but it didn’t work.

9. karen riffe says:

I really wasn’t impressed with episode. I suppose. I miss Tara with her mixing stuff up. I don’t like the road Jax is heading down. I hope Gemma does die a slow and very painful death and we the viewers get to watch. Then there will be justice, revenge, and closure. Just sounds good to me.

• Fahq says:

I like Jax being totally hard and a killer! Can’t be In the middle – Gemma will die , at the end when jax finds out the truth prob. Part from juice and the rest from Wayne

10. Xo says:

Jaxs is not going to kill his mother, it would kill Gemma more if jax’s just cut her off for good. Him and the boys just leave her.

She rather be shot dead then to lose what little family she has left.

Gemma will bring her death upon herself, it won’t be by the hands of her son ( jax’s ).

11. Penny says:

I’d love if the one to kill Gemma was Abel. Why? Because she loves him more than anything. It’d be such a justice if he killed her and told her: “you killed my mother, the only stable person in my life, the only one that truly cared and loved me. The last words you hear from me are I DON’T LOVE YOU.” That’d kill Gemma more than the stabs he would later give her. Oh, I already have chills just imagining that scene!

12. Amanda says:

I don’t think Gemma will die…why? Because we all expect it to happen. I think Jax will die at the end and Gemma will confess to him on his deathbed and then go off and raise the boys to repeat the cycle. Though killing Gemma is right, Sutter hasn’t been known to do the right things…js

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I hate the sound of that ”Gemma raising the boys to repeat the cycle” that makes my blood boil. Look she HAS to pay for ALL the things she has done plain and simple, but of course this storyline will drag out almost towards the end. Wendy to me is still a hot mess I agree w/one of the comments above about her is NOT a good choice to get Abel and Thomas!

13. I am finding it harder and harder to root for Jax as this season progresses. I realize his wife has just been murdered, but his willingness to blow everything up and start a war strictly on the word of Gemma (who he knows has lied to him before) seems out of character.

• amd says:

Jax is a murdering thug now, nothing more. But I can understand why he wouldn’t be thinking straight. His mum is all he has left and he is in total shock and grief. Even a murdering thug like Jax canot be thinking clearly after such a huge shock. I don’t fin it hard to believe he would trust the word of the only person left that he thinks loves him.

14. IMHO says:

I am finding it hard to watch Gemma this season she makes me sick. Jax is not much better.
    I’m hoping the kids make it out alive with Nero and Wendy to raise them.

• amd says:

Agreed. Also, Wendy and Nero looked like they had some chemistry. Plus the two of them are two of the few characters you could trust not to slit your throat (or stab you with a meat fork) if they decided they were upset with you. If Nero finds out what Gemma really is he will run a mile.

15. abby says:

maybe this is already an accepted theory, but am I the only one who is pretty certain that Gemma is not even Jax’s bio mom? It’s that blonde irish chick. I’d put money on that being a big reveal. The dead brother was hers but Jax wasn’t. Shadows of it with Tara and her boys.

16. Terry says:

I am wondering if somewhere down the line, there is going to be a time jump. Last week on the post talk show, Charlie mentioned something about Kurt bringing Abel in the mix and how that is affecting everything. It would rationally have to be an older Abel if that was the case!

17. Erin2 says:

All I know is that quick exchange between Tig and Happy at the end of the episode better make it to quotes of the week!

Tig: We’re running out of room for bodies out here

Happy: I know a thousand places to bury bodies

Tig: Of course you do!

18. amd says:

Give it a rest with the Hamlet sh**. Totally pretentious rubbish. Ophelia drowned herself because she was dumped by Hamlet and her father died, she wasn’t stabbed to death by Gertrude for daring to try to leave a violent, horrendous nightmare of a town and she didn’t have two little kids who were left orphaned. Gertrude was one of the fairly decent ones in Hamlet, she was by no means a psychopathic killer like Gemma. Hamlet was a decent, torn man trying to avenge the death of his father who went kind of mad. Jax is just a nutter who has lost almost all his humanity now.

This show never has been anything like Hamlet, that’s just pretentious twaddle for Sutter to pretend he’s not just a sadist who enjoys hurting women on screen.

• Suzanne Faherty says:

Thank god someone has finally addressed the pretentiousness of this show!! Sutter is trying to make himself out to be another Vince Gilligan and Sons another Breaking Bad. NO COMPARISON!!! The only reason I watch is to look at Jax. He is soooo gorgeous. But as far as the show goes, I think any high-school student with an imagination, who’d played too many violent video games, could have written this show. That said, the first few seasons were OK, but as soon as Jax started killing totally innocent people, the original plot died, and the show was really over for me.

19. Yvonne says:

Jackson is going to be devastated when he finds out that Gemma is the killer of his wife

20. Mara says:

Not impressed with the start of this final season. The direction it has been taking is not compelling. Nothing interesting about watching Gemma get away with ikilling Tara and Jax predictably seeking revenge on the wrong people which will also lead to his predictable demise. After such great storytelling during the run of this show this is very disappointing.

• Doris says:

Agree. Hard to watch Gemma getting away with killing Tara. There has always been violence in this series. Lots of it. But now it’s mindless.

• Ruth says:

So far season 7 has been a huge disappointment. Jax is on this killing rampage and no hints of doom for Gemma makes it uneventful to watch. Give us some hope!

21. Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this web site on a regular basis,
    this site is in fact good and the people are truly
    sharing nice thoughts.