Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Castle, Arrow, Once, Dixie, NCIS: LA, New Girl, Gotham, Beast and More

Csatle Season 7 Rick Dead Spoilers

Will a James Bond (or two) ride to Castle‘s rescue? Will New Girl revisit an old romance? Who on Once Upon a Time is having a ball? What new tricks does Arrow have up his sleeve? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites, Including Castle

Have any scoop on what will be happening with Ryan and Esposito in the beginning of Castle Season 7? –Dani
Well, if you want to talk about the very beginning, know that RySpo arrive at the car crash scene just moments after Beckett, and thus are still wearing their finest. “We’re not about to let her go by herself,” says Jon Huertas, ” so there we are, in our tuxes — like a Latino James Bond with his Caucasian James Bond sidekick.” And it just may take double the 007s to temper their explosive colleague. “It’s hard to control a person when they’re going through that sort of emotive state, so we let Beckett have her time,” says Huertas. “First and foremost, though, you want to make sure Castle either is or is not in the car — and we find out pretty quickly, as you can tell in the promo.”

You would make my week if you gave us some good Castle scoop! Pretty please with a Badass Beckett on top? –Ginger
Episode 7 will apparently saddle up Kate, Rick et al for a trip to the wild, wild west – or at least a modern-day dude ranch facsimile thereof. Thus, guest casting is underway for a sheriff and his wife, a rugged ranch hand, a “muscular, sexy gay cowboy” and other rootin’-tootin’ folk.

Is there any chance that New Girl‘s Nick and Jess will get back together? –Abi
We chatted up Jake Johnson just the other day, and his feeling is that the two shan’t reunite anytime soon, and possibly not even this season. “I think [showrunner] Liz Meriwether wants more fun between them. I think she doesn’t want it to feel heavy anymore, [with] them getting together and fighting,” he shared. “I think she wants to bring back the kind of fun of Season 1.” So, as Season 4unfurls, Nick’s new fixation will be… the apartment’s new land-line telephone? “He gets really excited about it,” previews the actor. “I start taking messages for Schmidt and Winston, kind of like a secretary.”

RELATED Fall Preview 2014: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Premieres

Please email me any and all info on Arrow, PLEASE. –Caroline
Sorry, my email is down. So hopefully you’re reading this, as I share that with a new season comes “new toys” for Oliver to play with. “In the season premiere, you’ll see a new kind of arrow,” showrunner Marc Guggenheim shares. “And in Episode 5, there’s another new kind of arrow we’ve never seen before. Season 3 is like a movie sequel, where he’s got new gadgets to play with!”

Does Gillian Anderson being a series regular on Hannibal have any impact for her filming The Fall? –TorontoGirl
I asked around and confirmed that the show’s different production schedules mean that Anderson’s presence on The Fall (which Stateside has moved to Netflix) will not be affected.

Do you know something about the second part of the season of Major Crimes? –Ilona
Do I! On the heels of meeting Ricky Raydor, it looks like Sharon’s daughter is due for a Christmastime visit. Episode 15 will introduce us to Emily, a “focused and driven ballerina,” age 29-33, who while home for the holidays must juggle the different temperaments of her family. (Sounds like they’ll keep the ballerina on her… toes.)

When will the third season of Beauty and the Beast start? –Chiara
Not until “midseason,” which could mean anywhere from January to spring to (to hear some tell it) maybe even summer 2015. But at least you have this to look forward to: In Season 3’s fourth episode, Cat and Vincent will meet with a marriage counselor, as they endeavor to balance their different careers with their relationship.

RELATED Who’s In? Who’s Out? Your Guide to 100+ Fall TV Casting Moves

Any news about Gotham will surely cause me to hyperventilate. Any spoilers at all? –Lindsay
Since you strike me as someone who has already seen the pilot, I can share this: Despite how the first episode ends, Oswald Cobblepot aka The Penguin will resurface in Gotham “pretty quickly,” Ben McKenzie tells us. “[Det. Jim Gordon] is going to live to regret that [decision], and very quickly.” McKenzie even goes so far as to say, “What’s lovely about what [showrunner] Bruno [Heller] has created here [in Jim Gordon] is a good guy doing the right thing, and by doing that, he’s creating one of the worst villains that’s ever existed.”

Just two more weeks until Once Upon a Time! Anything to tide us over? –Jo
Did you see how cocreator Adam Horowitz tweeted the title for Episode 7? Well, take that and add in the fact that for that episode they’re guest-casting the “strong, intelligent and beautiful” middle sister of three, a blue-eyed blonde in her late 20s/early 30s who “always puts her sisters first.” Oh, and the three of ’em are off to a fancy ball….

Do you have any Amy-related Brooklyn Nine-Nine spoilers? I haven’t heard anything about her character. – Brynley
Melissa Fumero tells us that as Jake returns from his undercover FBI gig, “There’s definitely the elephant in the room that needs to be addressed” – meaning, his season-ending profession of feels for Amy. “But I think fans will be surprised by how it all goes down, how Jake handles it.” His approach may be influenced by the fact that Amy is still with Teddy. “We definitely will hear his name a bunch throughout the first episodes, and I think we will see [Kyle Bornheimer] again,” the actress ventures. “Teddy and Amy are still really going strong.”

I read that American Horror Story: Asylum‘s Pepper (played by Naomi Grossman) will be appearing on the Freak Show season. I’m curious, won’t that mess with the show’s Emmy chances as a “miniseries”? –Craig
I can see how one might make that leap, seeing as AHS qualifies for the category by featuring a non-continuous storyline and new characters each cycle. But as I have been reminded, a precedent exists via the likes of Helen Mirren’s Prime Suspect sleuth and Luther’s titular DCI, both of whom migrated from miniseries to miniseries whilst earning Emmy nods.

Any Season 6 scoop on NCIS: LA’s Nell?—Paul
Anyone who enjoyed the Nell/Hetty moment in the season finale “is in for some surprises in the first and second episode, and the third, too,” showrunner Shane Brennan told me. “Nell comes to Hetty’s rescue in a very interesting way.”

Any Hart of Dixie scoop? —Julianna
Is BlueBell big enough for two Zoe Harts? The CW charmer is looking for a twentysomething actress to play “Zoe 2.0,” a very attractive, fashionable, quick-witted, New York attorney struggling to make sense of life in the quaint Alabama burg. The character’s actual name isn’t actually Zoe 2.0. That would be weird and confusing. It’s Olivia Green.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com(With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. torimelching says:

I might be in the minority but I really don’t care if Amy and Jake get together on B99. If they get together fine if they don’t that is fine as well. I do want Boyle and Diaz together but I don’t think that is going to happen anytime soon.

• rarefied says:

They said a couple of weeks ago that it’ll be a slow burn with those two. If they handle their relationships the way they do on P&R, I’m hoping for a slow, but satisfactory storyline ove the next few seasons.

• Sally says:

Totally agree. I’m much more interested in Boyle and Diaz.

• Nikunj Dixit says:

I don’t want Diaz in any sort of romantic relationship. She’s just so cool as a poker faced cop that I fear any romance with her might just ruin that. Anyways, I love Jake and Amy but I don’t think anybody should have expected that they would get together anytime soon. I believe Eva Longoria is coming on the show for an arc and as Jake’s love interest.

• torimelching says:

I just don’t really think they have must chemistry. But I think that of a lot of couples. LOL Yeah Eva is doing 3 episodes and looks to be Jake’s love interest.

• Nikunj Dixit says:

I think they do. I think their interactions in the date episode and in subsequent episodes, including the finale, were pretty sweet. Jake was at his most mature in some of these episodes. Anyways, its going to be a while until we get any major romantic development between the two. In the meantime, there’s plenty on the show to enjoy.

2. Sarah says:

Is there any word on how Hart of Dixie is going to deal with Bilson’s pregnancy?

3. laffers18 says:

Isn’t New Girl going into Season 4, and not 3?

(And I’ve become that person I hate. Sorry!)

I’m very much rooting for Amy and Jake…can’t wait for B99 to be back!

4. Michelle says:

Oh, I wonder if the casting for OUAT is Anna and Elsa’s mother (who is blonde and blue eyed in the movie, if memory serves), which would make Elizabeth Mitchell their auntie! I mean Elsa was born with her powers, it would make sense that she wasn’t the first in her family.

• Larry says:

I’m glad the show would finally give some info on Elsa’s magic. That was like literally not at all explained at all in the movie, how out of all people and why she gets ice magic that could destroy the world in an ice age lol.

• Larry says:

I wonder what they gonna do with the original snow queen, sounds interesting.

It was actually very smart and creative that the writers made elsa and snow queen two different people. Gives more breathing room, and won’t run at risk to some frozen fans that elsa is an antagonist.

• M says:

There mother was brown haired and blue eyed… But elizabeth mitchell theory definitely sounds possible

5. Katie T says:

Regarding the Gillian Anderson scoop, just to confirm that season 2 of the Fall actually finished filming about two months ago and is due on here in the UK in the next couple of months. If there’s a season 3 then I presume it’ll have no effect either. There’s clearly some gap between the filming schedules anyway as Gillian is currently doing a play I think

• torimelching says:

The trailer said the fall of 2014 so I am really hoping Oct-Nov it airs. The trailer was creepy good.

• Len84 says:

The Fall was filmed months ago. Just after Jamie finished on 50 shades. He came on a UK talk show Graham Norton show… saying he has a week or so left to grow his beard back to start on series 2 of the Fall. After being clean shaven for 50 shades. So yeah it was months back. Uk will get the series first then US it seems.

• TullaT says:

Wait, are we getting the Fall in the US? please? Everyone says it’s so good.

6. anna says:

batb – marriage councillor?? wth lol

7. Len84 says:

The Fall is a good show. Jamie Dornan and Gillian Anderson, im waiting for their scenes together in series 2 in the UK soon.
    3 sisters… could it be Elsa and Anna’s mum and her sisters?

8. grey says:

very long for the return of beauty and the beast .the only one i love with passion

9. ilona says:

Thank you so much for answering my question about Major Crimes! Do you know who will be cast as mini Raydor? I do hope you will do a special piece about it! :)
    Thank YAW, Thank YAW so much!

10. arial2 says:

Maybe Castle could borrow Longmire’s Robert Taylor to be the sheriff? But maybe he’ll be unavailable because he’s working on a fourth season of #Longmire which, hopefully, will have been picked up by a new and better network… :-D

11. Jared says:

It really sucks that Hart of Dixie is only getting 10 episodes this season. Its one of my faves on The CW.

• Rachel says:

I agree! It’s one of my favorite TV shows on right now. It’s just so much fun.

Am I the only one a little nervous about them trying to put in what sounds like is a copy of Zoe? Who wants to have another character come in and just replicate what’s special about the main character?

• Brandy says:

How being grateful it was renewed at all?It had bad ratings and the only reason it was renewed for syndication,.Itsnoones fault Rachel got pregnant so the episode order was reduced.How being grateful it got 10 episodes instead of 6 like Nikita?

• Fran says:

I don’t know if you meant to come across the way you did… But these posts weren’t complaining, just saying how they wished it could have more episodes. If you like a show its only natural to want to see more of it…. human nature and all. Who says they’re not grateful or happy to get what they get? That doesn’t mean you still can’t want more.

12. Really excited about the NCISLA scoop regarding Nell! Renee is a wonderful actress so I can’t wait to see what’s in store this season with Nell and Hetty! :-)

13. spindae2 says:

Thank U Matt! An other Inside line article in such a short time. Nicely done. Great scoop.

14. Matt says:

Wait, what fairy tale involves three sisters going to a ball?? Cinderella is the only one that comes to mind but they were step-sisters.

15. Ethel says:

Would love to see Castle get back to its roots as light hearted and fun characters. Love Ryan and Esposito and their bromance but Caskett needs to lighten up. They are no longer the fun couple we first met

16. Briggs says:

Ooo, Oliver has a new toy. :) Though I’m curious as to how it fits in, since that’s the ep with Felicity’s backstory, but I’m excited to see what he’s got. If there’s one thing they can bring in from the comics, it’s the trick arrows. LOL Attempting to put together all the little clues along the way has been so much fun.

17. Laura C says:

RySpo? Really? This STUPID practice of joining names has got to stop. Are people/writers really that LAZY that they can’t spell out names? I didn’t even bother reading the rest of the article because of that. I can’t take anyone seriously who has to write like a kindergartner.

• Fran says:

I find the joining of couples names to be annoying too, but I think the platonic ones are cute. Its almost like its making fun of it. It has nothing to do with laziness or not being able to write smart. Its a shame you missed the rest of the post because of that but to each their own.

18. Abi says:

Thanks so much for answering my question on New Girl! Totally makes me happy that you answered it!

19. CC says:

Someone seriously needs to clue Liz Meriwether into the fact that having a couple in a relationship does not automatically mean drama and fighting, and more importantly, that just because two characters are in a relationship it doesn’t mean the show (comedy or otherwise) has to be ABOUT the relationship.

20. Liz. B. says:

Thanks for the scoopage on “Castle.” Looking forward to the new season.
    Sorry to hear it seems like it’s going to be a wait for Nick and Jess fans. I do think season one was NG’s best season. Last season was my least favorite because it wasn’t as funny, tbh. But Nick and Jess together were actually a nice part about the show last season (and I’m not an active shipper of them. I do believe they will, and should, end up together from the way the show’s been written from the beginning).

I like the way the group is always there for each other-the friendship, that was my favorite part from the beginning-when they all showed up to the bar to cheer Jess up and how they did it. I also like the characters. I’m happy coach is back. Schmidt is my fave., tho. And actually, since season one, I’ve really liked CeCe and Schmidt’s relationship. I like that he calls her a “brown angel,” and the White Fang thing, and when he thought he knocked her up he knelt down and said they’d created a “carmel miracle.” He just is so great with her.

So, I hope in their quest to go back to season one they know what fans really loved about season one and are not just shooting in the dark. Yeah, “douche jar” Schmidt was funny, but he was also great with CeCe. I hope they don’t drop character growth in a quest for humor. “The Big Bang Theory,” probably the most watched show-in the key demo-on TV right now, actually has some of the best character development that I’ve seen around. Better than many dramas, (sadly). This has helped the show stay fresh and interesting and funny-to me, at least. They know how to develop their characters and stay true to who they really are but also let them grow and keep the show funny.
    Also, thanks for the scoop on B99. I tend to favor drama over comedies. But last year I came to the conclusion that I watch too much drama and needed more laughter in my life, so I decided to try out some comedies. Most of the stuff out there wasn’t right for me. But I kept BBT, “New Girl” (because I love the characters, even if it wasn’t as funny the past season), and tried out B99 and was pleasantly surprised. It actually has become my favorite comedy-period. I love the characters-every single one is likeable and funny and has their own little, quirky personality that meshes well with the others and brings something great to the show. It’s funny, and I love how they’re a little family and I actually ship Jake/Amy & Boyle/Rosa. It has it all, pretty much. Anyhoo, I’m glad to have news on it and am okay with waiting for Jake/Amy because, hey, it’s only season two-as long as there’s some sort of progress by season’s end, I’m okay.
    Matt, you always get good scoop on some of my fave shows. Also, you are just great: you ask the best questions and do great interviews and write-ups. Stay awesome, bud. Thanks, again!

21. betty says:

on major crimes will there be any more about fritz and how he copes or does not cope with his new position with the LAPD and and his health problem?

22. Luis says:

I want the Boxing Glove Arrow!!!

23. B says:

Besides which, this is probably an alternate version of Pepper. Otherwise one would have to wonder about Jessica Lange, Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson’s Freak Show characters existing in the same reality as their Asylum characters.

24. Adele says:

So excited for S3 of Beauty & The Beast!! Episode 4 is very intriguing, can’t wait!

25. Sheryl Dave says:

I know ” Taxi Brooklyn” was a summer show but do you have any info on it returning yet?

26. Alana D says:

RICHARD CASTLE ON A HORSE. Oh, my God, I am SO THERE.