Exclusive

Arrow First Look: Meet Ray Palmer (and the Team's New Dynamic Duo?)

Arrow Season 3

The babes come in all sizes as The CW’s Arrow let’s fly with its third season (starting Oct. 8), as seen in these exclusive photos spanning the first three episodes.

RELATED Fall TV Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites, Including Arrow

New to the Season 3 photo gallery below, you’ve got the first pics of Ray Palmer (played by Superman Returns‘ Brandon Routh). On the CW hit, “Ray is a businessman instead of a professor, more of an entrepreneur,” showrunner Marc Guggenheim told me. And as for his Atom-ic alter ego, “Part of the fun is seeing how, or even if, a character reaches the end of that trajectory,” the EP teases, “because as we’ve proven, we like to play around with it a bit.”

Now leading our gallery, meanwhile, are your first new photos of Diggle, who at season’s end learned from Lyla he was to be a father.‎ “Episode 3, titled ‘Corto Maltese.’ is a really big Dig episode,” showrunner Andrew Kreisberg told TVLine. As Oliver’s No. 1 helps Lyla track a rogue agent, “It’s really about the fact that he has a daughter now — how does that affect how he feels about the world and what he’s doing with Oliver?”

RELATED Arrow Scoop: Carrie Diaries Star Cast as Love Interest for [Spoiler]

As David Ramsey’s character confronts that new reality, “Where Diggle is going this season is going to be really great,” Kreisberg avows.

In the meantime, can we semi-officially declare Diggle and his baby girl the Arrowcave’s new Dynamic Duo?

1. Elin says:

Ow I’m losing my mind, can’t these 4 weeks just hurry up already…I think I’ve read more fanfiction then what could possibly be considered healthy..

2. Meg says:

Ray Palmer is hot. I know that wasn’t much of a contribution, but he is.

PS Diggle and his little girl the cutest.

3. Joey Padron says:

Good photos from season 3. Diggle’s Baby looks cute. Can’t wait for new season to start next month!

4. Trish says:

Should we wait and see if Matt would like to add additional remarks before we comment?
    So glad to see that Digg will have more than a baby storyline in season 3. He matters, and I hope the show continues to highlight his HIVE & Suicide Squad story.

5. JC1 says:

Awww Diggle and baby! :) I’m really excited to see what happens with Diggle this season. David Ramsey has talked about getting more into the H.I.V.E. storyline and what happened with his brother. I’m looking forward to it.

6. Evan says:

Awwww baby Diggle.
    Love seeing Team Arrow together in the Quiver (is that what we are calling it?) again.
    Ray Palmer can stay. He’s pretty.
    Season 3 is almost here, can’t wait!

7. Lysh says:

Aw, Diggle! I’m surprised the baby arrives so early on! I kept hearing it’s been five months, but it must’ve been more.
    Ray Palmer is the #1 new guy I’m looking forward to the most. Can’t wait to see more from him!

8. GildedRose says:

Thrilled to have Arrow back for another season. Love Oliver and Felicity and can’t wait to see the original trio Team Arrow (Oliver/Felicity/Diggle) get back into action, learn more about their characters, and see them explored more. This looks like a great season.

9. Jp says:

Can’t wait;)

10. daveabiola says:

Reblogged this on ALL CURIOUS and commented:
    Are you looking forward to catching this one?

11. Claire says:

Loving all of the photos! Baby Diggle included. Can’t wait to see more of Diggle’s story play out, he is such an integral part of Team Arrow that he can’t afford to be sidelined. No way, no how.
    One of those images is strictly Original Team Arrow — can never get enough of them <3 And of course Felicity ;)
    Thanks for the pics!!

12. Mena says:

Yeah, Arrow’s almost here! Pics look great. Glad that Diggle gets a story, just hoping it isn’t just about his baby. 4 weeks to go.

13. Caroline says:

What’s the lilttle girl’s name?And when do get to see Atom-ic in action?

14. Hodan says:

Loved it. I can’t wait for Arrow to come back!

15. Briggs says:

Baby Diggle! I will call her that until we get a name. How soon do we get her name, Matt?
    P.S., I totally spent a few moments cooing over the Daddy Diggle pic after going through all nine…

16. A says:

Thank you once again for completely spoiling us Arrow fans! You all are wonderful!

17. Crest says:

Let me say that the picture of David (diggle) and the baby is so cute and wonderful but its really disgusting what this show is doing. The sexism and racism behind their decisions is so repulsive. Its sad they are trying to use this child to detract on how they have whitewashed Oliver’s child, who was supposed to be of black and asian heritage like in the comics. And even if they say they are making changes because its an adaptation, would they make this Oliver’s child a (white) female, NO. Likely its going to be a white male kid, one who will get Oliver/Green Arrow’s legacy. Because a non white child or a female child is just not good enough to rise to such greatness, according to these people.

• Briggs says:

Hon, half the time in the comics, he was portrayed as white. True, the writer said that was *his* goof up, but stil. Don’t make this a race issue. I saw absolutely nothing about the Daddy Diggle pic that was in any way racist. You could easily have had any other race in that pic and it would have been just as cute. I thought it was sweet because we haven’t *seen* Diggle as a dad yet. The embarrassing amount of cooing that came from me had nothing to do with him and his child being black.
      Besides which, if this was really a race issue, why are the Wests black in the new show (created and cast by the same people), instead of white? It’s a real switch, a black father raising a white child (even in real life, it’s usually the opposite). Detective West took in Barry after his father was put in prison for his mother’s murder because he saw a scared, lonely kid. Does that seem like racism to you?
      Back to Connor, though. What on Earth makes you think they’re going to follow comic continuity with him when they haven’t *anywhere else* simply because he’s supposed to be multi-racial (asian, black, white)? Do you hear yourself? You’re looking for a reason to complain. I don’t think Diggle’s child has anything to do with Oliver’s. Except maybe to give Connor a cousin, if he ever appears on the show. They’d be about the right ages to be a second gen Oliver and Thea…

• Crest says:

Institutionalised racism and sexism, of course I dont expect many to get it here. It might also even be internalised. You are taught to accept it, to accept lesser of ethnic minorities and women. Just put them in sub serviant roles, tokenise them, and voila its great representation.

“Dont make this a race issue” Too late it is already a race issue, and I didn’t make it that way.

• Briggs says:

I’m not accepting anything, as this discussion clearly signifies. I think you’re taking this way too seriously. Honestly? If they *did* go canon and had his mother be a mix, actually finding a kid *all* fans would agree looks about right would be difficult. And again, if the comics couldn’t agree on how he looked, the show runners had a free pass on what to do with him. It has everything to do with creativity and nothing to do with ‘institutionalized racism’.
          That may sound lazy to you, but it’s called logistics. The show already has so many facets, it could be an expensively cut diamond. Connor is one such facet. And whether or not he shows up, the fact remains that Connor’s race has precious little to do with his existence as a facet of the story. He exists to illustrate how irresponsible Oliver used to be. The mother could have been any girl he was less-than-careful with. Oliver never made an issue of what race his son was. I don’t think he ever cared, so far as I could tell. What mattered was whether he could handle being a father, which clearly, his mother decided he couldn’t. I have my opinion on *that*, but it does not belong in this conversation.
          Here’s why I think they decided to make Diggle a father: to give Oliver something to think about should he find out that Sandra didn’t really miscarry. I realize you want to read more into it because, of course, *nothing* is this clear-cut. But in this case, I think it is. It’s purely a story point, and if you choose to bring racism into it (and you’re the only one who has), then you need to be able to back it up with more than just my ‘internalizing’ racism as acceptable, which is a blanket statement if I ever heard one, since you don’t know me well enough to say I have that propensity. I think the idea is ridiculous, and you’re just trying to pick a fight.

18. sladewilson says:

Some might not agree but the way I’ve seen Digg and Felicity for Team Arrow is Digg is the voice of reason and Felicity is the conscience of the crew. I’m already loving Baby Diggle aka Digglet (that’s hilarious, BTW) and the changes Digg will have to make because of his extended family. I also hope they still show the Big Brother/Little Sister dynamic between Digg and Felicity (and what exactly is Digg’s take on Olicity? Hmmmmmm…. Might not be what everyone hopes or thinks. Big bros are notoriously overprotective)… This show stays in my top five of must see shows and I don’t see that changing anytime soon….

• Briggs says:

Oh, I would love to see the training session if Diggle decides to punish Oliver should he decide she’s ‘safer’ not being with him… :)

19. Nicki says:

Can’t wait for S3. 3 weeks plus. Time does not fly when you want it to.

This is just my opinion but from the first moment I saw him—–I think Ray Palmer is handsome but he looks way too old for Felicity (just the actual look of both actors). I know he is actually 34 and Stephen is 33 but Stephen does not look too old for Emily. Before I get haters it has nothing to do with real life differences in ages and who fall in love with who. Just for this show, when you look at Felicity then compare her to Oliver and Ray—I just can’t picture her with Ray. He just has an older looking quality about him. That being said, I do think he will drive Oliver crazy. This season is going to be fun. All the bads coming on too–can’t wait and of course can’t wait for baby Digglet, so sweet—and Diggle being a father.

20. Luis says:

I am actually glad we begin the season with Diggle as a father, rather than playing out any drama over the mother and child being in any kind of danger. it will be nice seeing David Ramsey showing off the changes fatherhood brings to Dig’s life, and how the new perspective affects his relationship with Oliver.

21. cinthy says:

I can’t wait, I’m counting the days, I even have a calendar for this!! I’m crazy I know but I want to watch arrow!! diggle’s baby=cuteness overload