Jimmy Kimmel Mocks Friends Reunion Backlash: Aniston Was Not 'Pissed'

Jimmy Kimmel on Thursday night addressed — more, he marveled at — the online backlash elicited by the Jimmy Kimmel Live! sketch in which he invited Jennifer Aniston to participate in a “surprise” Friends reunion, on a recreation of the hit comedy’s set and opposite former costars Courteney Cox and Lisa Kudrow.

RELATED Friends‘ “Central Perk” to Open in NYC This Fall

Throughout the “fan fiction-inspired” bit, which revolved around Kimmel’s “Ross” wanting to make love with “Rachel,” Aniston appeared begrudging and even “pissed” (as well as “totes awky,” per one YouTube commenter Kimmel quotes) — even after Cox and Kudrow show up.

“It’s unbelievable to me,” Kimmel said of the responses the Wednesday-night segment (embedded below) spurred.  “She was acting — and apparently very well, too. She should probably get an Emmy.

“I’m puzzled by this,” he continued. “Ninety-nine percent of the time we put something on YouTube, everyone jumps in to say it’s fake. Then we put something that is, I thought obviously, fake on, and people think it’s real.”

(Me, I still maintain that it was an odd acting or directorial choice to maintain throughout the entire “reunion,” as it invited many of the Friends faithful who caught the video the next day and are not necessarily familiar with Kimmel’s “I irk guests” shtick to interpret Aniston’s body language as legit and in turn not enjoy the bit as much as they could or should have. Friends averaged 23 million viewers at the end, Kimmel draws about 2.2 million. There was the potential for a lot of people to not “get” the joke.)

1. Diogo says:

I surely don’t know. i thought the segment wasn’t funny at all, and jennifer aniston seemed upset or even irritated.

• M. Lance says:

“and jennifer aniston seemed upset or even irritated.”

We’re still doing this?

• Gary says:

Apparently. Sadly this kind of thing keeps a lot of people from letting loose and having fun with things because there are too many Amelia Bedelias in the world (people who take everything way too literally).

• Jack says:

Yes, she did seem upset and irritated. As has been established, she was ACTING upset and irritated.

• dax says:

OH MY GOD! (Read this in Chandler’s voice when he sees Janice!)

People, Jen is clearly acting annoyed. if it were such a surprise, she would have reacted WAY surprised when she saw Courtney and Lisa walk in. May be this will serve as an ode that how convincing of an actress she is :)

2. Dan says:

If the more gullible ones think she was pissed, then she proved herself a decent actor. It was all obviously scripted and she managed to convice you. I’m not a particular fan of hers, but yes, she did her job well.

3. GuessWhat says:

I was a huge FRIENDS fan and have yet to even watch this. WHO CARES is more like it!

4. MrMank says:

That was very clearly a gag and they were all very clearly in on it. People are stupid.

5. Rebecca says:

The folks who thought it was real need to get out of the house more often. Yikes.

6. ange says:

I would think most people are aware of how close she, Justin, Jimmy and his wife are and not make a big deal about it but then again unfortunately we live in a society full of people yearning for conflict in whatever way they can get it.

7. Yolanda says:

I thought it was all acting till they were bowing down in the end. She should be all smile but she still looked pissed.

8. Mary Ann says:

I don’t agree. I could tell she was in on the gag. She even had to stifle a smile when Lisa Kudrow walked in. I enjoyed the bit very much.

9. Derek Duncan says:

I genuinely cannot believe anybody actually thought she was really upset about this. Crazy to me.

10. Abe Froman says:

People should be more outraged that it was just a terrible bit, period.

• Danyelle says:

makes one wonder if Aniston had a hand in things, *wanting* people to come away with a sour taste and drop the Friends reunion topic once and for all! hmmm

11. Sasha says:

I hate to call people dumb you know but in this instance how dumb to you have to be to think she was really pissed off?

OMG

Its so irritating

12. jmble says:

I don’t know. He has pissed off his guests before. I hear Matt Damon really doesn’t like him. But who can blame Matt after being bumped from the show so many times.

13. Sarahliz says:

It was hysterical and perfect and people need to pull the stick out of their butts, Michael included.

14. GGK says:

Such ignorance..

15. jouiie says:

Ah cmon, this was obviously acted. She was “upset” he dragged Courtney and Lisa into the “sketch” just so he could act out all the ‘luv making’. It could not have been more outrageously obvious, with the ludicrous lines and all 3 women pretending to be awkward. It was literally hammered in by the incessant repeating of the ‘love making’.

The bow was also part of the sketch, since Kimmel made it like it was a live taping with the bows the cast would make.

Get a sense of irony people.

16. RunMommy says:

This is all getting old. Very little on TV isn’t scripted these days, even on talk shows. Between the Emmy’s and this, I tired of all the talk of the poor star getting fooled. They are in on the joke! The last person to surprise guests was Rosie O’Donnell (nice Rosie, not I’m pissed at the world and going to yell at anyone that disagrees with me!) and she would admit stars would freak out if she left her talking points during an interview.

17. JLK says:

I completely agree that this was a misfire because of the acting/directorial choices. I think a bigger reason for the confusion was that too many people love to hate Jennifer and this just gave them another excuse to say, “See…she’s always such a b—-! So much so that she ruined what could have been a fun sketch.” I think it would have played better if her annoyance were spread around a little more instead of laser-focused on Jimmy.

18. JVee says:

Not sure what the fuss is about. It was clear she was acting – thought it was funny!

19. Kim R says:

I can’t believe that this is going on! It was so obviously a joke. I mean just Jimmy’s skit being centered around his Ross making love to Rachel should have been enough to let people know it was fake and all meant to be funny. I really am stunned that this had any backlash. I thoroughly enjoyed it and as a Friends fan, appreciated Jimmy getting the girls together. And they were all acting annoyed. It was a joke, people!!! :D

20. Hege says:

I know Jennifer Aniston wasn’t pissed but I kinda was watching this. It was so incredible awful and it wasn’t even remotly funny.

21. Beckers0505@yahoo.com says:

This woman can do no right…She acts to good and everyone says she should have smiled more and chilled out. I think it’s safe to say now, that a Friends reunion will never happen now…

22. Tai says:

I am also surprised by the backlash. It was obvious that she was acting pissed. That added to the humor for me. Her being irritated even more when Courtney and Lisa showed up was clearly supposed to be part of it. I really don’t get why people are saying that it took away from the bit.

23. K says:

This “backlash” honestly makes me question the number of brain cells consumers of tv have. It was part of the skit for Jen to be pissed, it was obviously rehearsed. So many idiots in the world.

24. kim in Dallas says:

You know what did it? When she tossed the wig. Knowing that it has been reported that she hated that haircut, her reaction was just a tad too real.

• JLK says:

And, to me, that all seemed very staged. Jimmy was wooden in saying, “Oh…I almost forgot…” or whatever. And Jennifer didn’t just throw the wig in anger and pout. She tossed it and said, “Boundaries, Jimmy. I have to have some boundaries.” with a bit of a smirk. I thought that was the funniest thing she did in the sketch.

25. G. says:

LOL … I love how Jennifer takes a graceful bow or two at the end.
    Clearly what every pissed-off actress does who is “mad” about being involved in something.

26. Name That Tune says:

I guess most people don’t get that Aniston and Theroux are good friends with Kimmel.

It’s a joke. Maybe not the funniest joke, but it is a joke.

27. Bobby says:

People, it was a skit, a rehearsed skit that was fun watching.

28. joel f. says:

This KIMMEL segment blew. FRIENDS is two decades old. Jennifer should’ve gotten flak she’s dull as dishwater.

29. DogMom says:

It was obvious to me that she was acting, but it was also obvious to me that it WASN’T FUNNY.

30. MikeD says:

Instead of this, maybe Jimmy should have addressed the fact that his skit wasn’t funny. What a waste, you know, with the effort on the kitchen, and Courteney and Lisa being there…

31. adri says:

I knew it was acting, it just annoyed me. I knew she was playing a part, but really, we’ve been waiting 10 years for any sort of friends reunion and having her act all pissed, it just seemed stupid and it annoyed me.

32. Brandon says:

I should have known it was sarcasm but I mean gimme a break because of the nature of the article…I mean I wouldn’t be surprised if actual people thought the Matt Damon thing was real