It's Official: Bill Gedde Exits The View Ahead of Rosie O'Donnell’s Return; Rachel Maddow EP Taking Over

bill-gedde-fired-the-view-not-returning-rosie

The View‘s current remodeling job is going all the way to the foundation.

ABC confirmed today that executive producer Bill Gedde, who launched the daytime talker alongside Barbara Walters in 1997, is being replaced by Bill Wolff, executive producer for MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show as well as vice president of primetime programming for the network.

VIDEO Elisabeth Hasselbeck Is Not Happy Rosie Is Returning to The View

Gedde’s exit is hardly a shock. On the heels of Walters’ retirement last May, fellow co-hosts Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd announced their own exits in June, leaving Whoopi Goldberg as the sole panelist who will make the transition from Season 17 to 18.

In July, the network announced that Rosie O’Donnell, whose stormy View tenure alongside Gedde lasted only a season, would return to join Goldberg — along with two still-to-be-determined women.

PHOTOS The View: 13 Nightmare Replacement Hosts

“I am enormously proud of the show that Barbara Walters and I created more than 17 years ago,” Geddes said in a statement. “While I will no longer be involved in the day to day production, I will be providing transitional support to the show next season.”

ABC also announced two more additions to The View‘s behind-the-scenes team:

* Brian Balthazar, who launched the fourth hour of Today and also hosted AOL Spotlight, will be co-executive producer.
* British native Ashley S. Gorman (The Biggest Loser, I Wanna Marry Harry) has been tapped to direct.
* Kathleen Rajsp (Katie, Anderson, Dr. Phil) will be senior supervising producer.

The View returns with new episodes on Monday, Sept. 15 (11/10c on ABC).

1. Tran says:

Time for The View to end in a very bad way.

2. Stacie says:

Last year was excruciating to watch. I used to record the show everyday, but after the first couple weeks of the new season I just deleted them without watching and by the end of the season I stopped recording it all together. They did a terrible job with that panel. Gedde being gone is a good step. I am curious when we will find out about the other 2 or 3 people joining the show. This show is going for one more big push, if they can’t handle this year and make it a good show to watch then I can see it being its last season.

• Robby Horine says:

Let me help you. The show is going HARD LEFT. So left they’ll have to look right to see Obama.

• dan says:

What about the rumor that Whoopi and Rosie are already at odds? Allegedly Rosie wants her “moderator” seat back and Whoopi is ready to walk even though she recently signed a new contract. Maybe it isn’t true (I read it on the internet, after all), but it sounds like things are starting rough. I thought the news about Bill leaving was confirmed weeks ago. I guess ABC just got around to publishing his going away statement.

• Robby Horine says:

Best thing that could happen is having the show cancelled during it’s winter break. Then put in it’s place a revival of “Sale of the Century” with Chris Harrison and “Pyramid” with Jesse Tyler Fergerson.

• Shazay says:

I think Whoopi should leave Rosie to her own devices. Whoopi was the best thing to happen to the view, then Jenny arrived. She doesn’t need the money or the stress, she should quit and let it become The Rosie O’Donnell show. Do they not remember when she replaced Oprah at Harpo studios in Chicago and that show crashed and burned QUICKLY? I’d love to see reputable ladies like Ann Curry as the new Meredith, Whoopi is the comedian who fills the Joy/Sherri spot, maybe bring back Rachel Campos who was in the running for Lisas spot before being edged out by the other conservative, Elizabeth. They need an older view to replace Babs’ seat too. Oy, maybe they’ll just put the show out of its misery because The Talk has gotten better since canning Marissa, Leah and Holly.

• Marsha K says:

Couldn’t agree more.

• Bree says:

Couldn’t agree more with you!! lol

• Cindy Anne says:

Agree, hard left. First Rosie, then the producer for Rachel Maddow? Can’t get much more left. I hope they get some balance and that the new producer doesn’t get to dictate the “views” that are expressed.

• Penny Hubbard says:

I so agree with you…

3. Drew says:

So they bring in Rosie O’Donnell and an MSBC producer? Why not just add brussel sprouts and colonoscopies to the viewing experience? I mean, if they really don’t want people to watch this show, why not go for broke, right?

4. linda says:

gay takeover. bill didnot want none of that

5. Ana says:

This makes me smile only because I know it’ll make Hasselbeck go on another irrational laugh-inducing tirade.

6. Kris says:

Will not be watching The View any longer! What are they thinking!!!!!!! Rosie O’Donnell, you have got to be kidding! Ugh!!!!! Give it up!!!!!!!

7. HAP says:

I always get a chuckle out of the fact that before Bill Wolff was EP for Maddow, he was EP for Tucker Carlson! Enough to make one’s head spin.

8. Robby Horine says:

ABC is making the choice between “The View” and “The Price is Right” very easy.

9. Karyn says:

Do Bill and Barbara Walters still own a portion of the show?

10. mdbchud says:

Yeah, Yeah, I KNOW it’s too late, but could we PLEASE have One Life to Live back???!!!!

11. Brendan says:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Not Happy. Moan. Whine. Complain.

Seriously people, can we wait to see who the one two co-hosts are and watch a few episodes before we start the above mentioned and sarcastically mocked tirade.

12. Marykatherine says:

I will for sure be returning to watch The View. It was here and there I watched with Elizabeth, mostly there. With Jennie, I never watched. Whoopi and Rosie are both intelligent, and I love watching both. Thank you Abc for bringing back Rosie

13. Norma says:

They are making a big mistake for letting Rosie come back to the View, I will not watch anymore

14. S says:

So MSNBC, a left-wing news network is now sending their executive to produce this show. They are bringing back easily the most polarizing panelist………sorry, just getting confused as to why we should be watching.

• Diane says:

I don’t think you’d know a common sense thought or the truth. This show lost all it’s class when Merideth, Lisa, and Elizabeth left.

15. michael weiner says:

what’s the difference – the View is finished! Whoopi will go because there will inevitably be a blow-up with O’Donnel and who else are they going to get of any interest? bye, bye View!

16. Inge says:

Ha…ha…ha…This should be called the ‘LIBERAL VIEW’

• Patricia Wilson says:

I hope it will be liberal, we hear enough conservative craziness now let’s have something that makes sense.

17. GR says:

Yuck, is all I have to say about Rosie!

18. john mccann says:

The View or nails on a chalkboard? Not much difference.

19. john mccann says:

Rosie will need 2 seats. All that stress from her divorce leads to twinkie cravings.

20. Colene Ruggiero says:

this was probably all planned before Barbara retired. same answer stop the View now.

21. Tamara Dillman says:

I stopped watching when Elisabeth Hasselbeck left. As the only conservative on the show she was continually attacked for her point of view. The attacks were difficult to watch daily. After her departure I choose to not watch. With the new casting announcement there is no reason to watch now.

22. Jenny says:

Was so happy to see that Sherri is gone and excited to watch the view again but since Rose is coming back, no thank you. Sorry to see Bill Gedde left too.

23. Sandy W. says:

Let’s face it, The View is defunct. Now that Bill Gedde is leaving, at least put the View to rest.

24. Vivian says:

It will not be on in my home!!!!

25. mrsfoxxe says:

It will not be on in my home!!!

26. jean says:

Could be an awesome change.

27. Pat67 says:

I won’t be watching. Rosie O’Donnell’s mouth is too big for me.

28. Helga borge says:

Having watched the last debacle when Rosie was on the View, i will be finding something else to watch. One season with Rosie’s shrill, overbearing attitude was more than enough!

29. Shirley says:

Soon—RIP the ‘View”. Too bad.

30. Pat Carney says:

Whoever had the idea to bring Rosie back is an idiot. I have been a viewer for years but will NOT be tuning in once Rosie arrives! Bet it not easy to find replacements either with her on board !

31. Dee T. says:

It should be an interesting new VIEW.

32. newsdee says:

I’m looking forward to seeing this new VIEW!

33. mrsfaithsands@yahoo.com says:

This next season doesn’t sound like a good recipe. I will watch the first few episodes, mainly to see Whoopi, will see how it goes from there.

34. nina smith says:

Well it’s a wrap. I think I won’t tune in.

35. sherrell Frederick says:

Has Whoopi remains Queen of the moderators I am find, but if she leaves, I leave!!

36. Kathy says:

Nothing personal, I don’t want to watch Rosie O’Donnell on any show…. especially on The View.

37. Margaret says:

If there going to bring Rosie back then they should bring Roseanne on the show. Wouldn’t that be a hoot. Poor Whoopi. She would be the only reason I watch IF I watch. ABC what were u thinking.

38. Margaret J. says:

please cancel the show

39. MARIZA says:

Won’t be the same….might as well change the name to “ANOTHER VIEW”….LOL

40. I will not watch Rosie.

41. There will simply be no graceful way out of this show now. I find that thinly-veiled hostility and fake camaraderie (we’re strong women with differing opinions, but we’re also BFFs) very upsetting to watch–this is not entertainment in my book. I predict they’ll go down in flames.

42. I have been tuning out more than in since Barbara left The View and now that Rosie is definitely coming back, I’ll permanently tune out. With her there, it will become a daily fight fest and if I want to see that type of show I’ll just watch Jerry Springer.

43. John says:

Yank it!!!

44. girliegirl2012 says:

I don’t believe Rosie will be there long….

45. John says:

Yank It!!!!!!!!!!!

46. margifish says:

They should add the guy they’ve been having on as a guest co-host. A male pov on the panel would be refreshing.

47. CraigB says:

What a fiasco! I don’t regularly watch the show but do watch it enough to know how bad of an affect it will have on this institutional TV show. Whoopi is a much better moderator than Rosie ever hoped to be. And Rosie’s attitude will only come across as bossy, negative and disrespectful regardless of who she is communicating with. And, as far as I’m concerned, the Rosie from her show in the 90s – caring and funny – doesn’t exist anymore. I heard Meghan McCain’s name floated around. While young, I think she might be good and not the clucking hen Hasselback was. Joy needs to come back, as well. And, laugh if you must, I think Condoleeza Rice would be good, as well – providing political balance but long enough removed from the horrific Bush Administration. She is an intelligent woman even though she was a Bush pawn. Or, for a 5th, bring in Connie Chung for some credibility since that’s been lacking for a while.

48. Tommy from NYC says:

I am excited for the new season with Rosie!!!
    The only thing that would make it better is hiring Joy Behar back … and someone else funny (like Ali Wentworth) in order for “The View” to compete with the great show that “The Talk” has become … In my opinion, “The View” has a lot of work to do to get A LOT of viewers back.

49. MaryM says:

Leah Remini would fit well here. She was funny on The Talk.