Pretty Little Liars Post Mortem: Latest Victim Reveals Her Ghostly Return, Revenge Plans for Alison and More

Pretty Little Liars Mona Dies

Dry your tears, Pretty Little Liars fans, because the victim of Tuesday’s fatal finale tells TVLine that she’s not going anywhere. In fact, she’s “excited for this new twist” on her character.

RELATED Pretty Little Liars Summer Finale Recap: Death Becomes Her

“Basically, as Alison was the flashback girl for the past three seasons, it will now be [Mona],” Janel Parrish tells us. “I think it’s great! Even though Alison was ‘dead’ for the first three seasons, you found out everything about her through flashbacks, and now that’ll be happening through Mona.”

Read on for more scoop from Parrish, including what Mona will be up to in the Christmas special and what really happened during her fatal scuffle with that mysterious blonde.

TVLINE | I’m bummed about Mona’s death, but does the fact that was sort of redeemed make it easier?
It does, and I think that’s also what makes her death so devastating. She finally earned people’s trust, not only the girls’ but also the fans’. She finally came through for everyone … and then she died.

TVLINE | We didn’t see the attack itself. Was there a plan to show more?
Actually, more will be seen of the fight. Mona did not go out without a struggle, and I’m very proud of her for that. If I could have chosen the way she died, it would have been that way — her fighting till her last breath.

pretty-little-liars-alisonTVLINE | Alison seemed more than a little pleased. Can you say anything about her next move?
Mmhmm, that smug smile. It definitely looks like she killed Mona, and more will unfold as time goes on. But for now, yeah, it looks like Alison did it.

TVLINE | The scene with you in the trunk probably gave some viewers nightmares. What was it like playing dead?
That was really creepy, huh? Honestly, most of it was just me trying really hard not to blink. That’s what was going through my head the whole time: “Don’t blink! Don’t blink!”

TVLINE | Since we’re seeing her in flashbacks, what else is there to tell?
It’ll be satisfying for fans to get more information about Mona, since she’s been such a mystery. It’ll be good to see some backstory as far as she’s concerned.

TVLINE | So you’re still a series regular?
Yup! I’m still going to be a regular, just in a different way.

TVLINE | Will we see her in the Christmas episode?
Oh, yes, she’s going to have a fun part. She’s going to be the Ghost of Christmas Past, Present and Future. She gets to mess with Alison, and in a fabulous costume, I might add.

TVLINE | How is Mona’s death, in the present, going to affect the girls moving forward?
It’s going to be the biggest mystery moving forward in the second half of the season. It’s going to affect Hanna the most; she loved her at one time. They were really close at one point, and they’ve always had an intense relationship, whether it be good or bad.

PLL fans, are you glad Mona will be sticking around in ghost/flashback form? And who do you think killed her? Drop a comment with your theories below.

1. sarah j says:

I just started to like Mona and then she died!
    I am glad that we will see her in flashbacks.

• sarah j says:

To further add, I still think Ali is A. However did Ali kill Mona or was it someone in a blonde wig and a black hoodie making us think it was Ali?

• DL says:

Definitely wasn’t Ali. While still blonde, the hair was noticeably different, and I felt like the camera lingered on it long enough to basically say: “Check it! It’s not Ali!” That said, Ali could still be behind it (though I’d prefer something more complex and twisty).

• Shazay says:

It looked like Cece’s hair.

• Natalie says:

Yeses!!!!!

• shyann says:

yess!!! I was thinking that

• Will k says:

If you look closely, the person with the long hair going up stairs is different than the hair of the girl who killed Mona. That means there was 2 people in the house- only two blondes who wanted Mona out of the way? Cece and Ali.

BAM!

• 5654funny says:

Look there allison bethany young sarah harvey and jane doe bethany and jane are different people I am getting too many headaches I still don’t get who’s barried in allison or bethany grave bethany could still be out there somewhere and sarah harvey and jane doe are deceased and how on earth did the ploice indentify them as allison its like swing dancing and the song goes like oh why oh why are ploice doing this to allison when she disappeared out of nowhere with her boyfriend cyrus who is not a good person

• gerry says:

I AGREE THERE I ALSO NOTICE THE HAIR WAS DIFFERENT THE LENGHT WAS A LITTLE SHORTER 2 LOL I ALSO DONT THINK ITS ALI JUST THINK SHES PLEASED THAT MONA IS DEAD ONE LESS PROBLEM YOU KNOW ANYWAY I LOVED MONA FROM THE START AND I ALWAYS SAID SHE WASNT ALL BAD GLAD SHE NOT GONE YET

• Beth says:

At first I thought it was Ali ,but reading this made me wonder if it was Cici. Also remember that Ali gave Cici that passport and left… hmmmmm

• jody says:

i think ali and her twin might be working together .

• taheisha says:

you should have know that rom the begining youknow how pll is they always mess with head they let think one thing and its not so how could you even think that it was alison if you really knew pll that good then would have kow tthat wasnt alison because they did this alot with ezra toby mrsD melissa jenna shanna paige byron jason noel ian they let us think that ian killed alison it wasnt they let us think that spencer killed alison she didnt they always twist it up

• Kay says:

It was not Ali when the person walks up the stairs she has curly hair and then when she’s in moans room she has straight hair

• danielle says:

geez never thought about that but i think someone is still out there because ali is scared of someone

2. D. says:

I’m glad she’s still in the show because she’s a talented actress, but i’m bummed she’s dead. Flashbacks are not good enough.

3. Celesta says:

I’m annoyed she got killed off, she was just starting to get interesting and it finally added another character with a brain to the show other than spencer.

4. Tran says:

Mona did deserve to get killed off but at what cost?

• shyann says:

y did mona deserve to get killed? she was trying to make things right with the girls, and finally being honest. a person needs to be forgived.

• Zeina Abdallah says:

She didnt deserve to get killed. She was afraid of Ali just like everyone else, she didnt want Ali coming back and torturing her again or anyone else. She was the only one that was right from the start about Ali, thats why Ali hates her soooo much to the point where she wanted her DEAD. So idc what u pr anyone say, she did NOT deserve to die.

5. ronnie says:

I still think that “A” will eventually turn out to be Jason. It will be very amusing when it is finally revealed and we see him in the wig in a flashback. All the problems are rooted in Alison’s family

6. Brandie says:

I also became attached to Mona. She was the irritating in the first few seasons but then I really did begin to trust her and am completely sad that she went out just like that! Seeing her in the trunk like that is what haunts/bothers me the most. Still can’t believe it. Ugh! I just want to know who killed her!

7. JG says:

I’m really loving this season of PLL. Bringing Allison back and now killin off Mona in the finale is exactly the type of drama this season needed. Can’t wait for the Christmas episode!

8. sarata says:

OMG…. I dont think Allison personally killed Mona but I do think think she sent someone to kill her. It so sad i thought Ali was cool. I will never look at the letter A the same again. :(

• Alison says:

That’s awful. You don’t even know it was her yet lol.

• taheisha says:

you should have know that rom the begining you know how pll is they always mess with head they let think one thing and its not so how could you even think that it was alison if you really knew pll that good then would have kow tthat wasnt alison because they did this alot with ezra toby mrsD melissa jenna shanna paige byron jason noel ian they let us think that ian killed alison it wasnt they let us think that spencer killed alison she didnt they always twist it up

9. INA LOA says:

I knew they couldn’t kill off Mona!! She’s one of the main characters!! She’ll even have more fun playing a ghost!! Much Aloha to you Janell!! Mwahz! ;)

10. Jessie says:

I am glad that Mona will be back in flashbacks, I was just started to like her. I don’t think Ali killed Mona. Just like with Bethany she had someone else do it for her so Ali wouldn’t get blamed for it. She wouldn’t risk everything to kill Mona herself.
    Ali turned out to be such a pyshco…especially when Mona says she picked each girl for a certain characteristic and then showed Ali with another group of girls that looked alot like the liars…weird.

11. Liza says:

Really glad they’ll keep in her in flashbacks! I’m so sad she died!

12. I’m looking forward to see ghost Mona… she always was able to figure out so much, I wonder if she’ll have all the answers now that she is dead.

13. Brandy says:

She’s always been one of my favs. Really bummed they had to kill her off.

14. ScorpionGlow says:

This death was way too obvious the entire episode. That final scene of her in the trunk will definitely haunt me, it was creepy as hell. I am, however, glad that Janel isn’t gone from the show. I like her too much.

15. tiffany says:

should’ve been Toby.

16. AJ says:

Yes, I am so happy about this!!! I absolutely adore Janel Parrish and as sad as I was after she became the latest victim of “A”, the fact that she gets to literally haunt Allison during the Christmas episode makes up for it! I. Do. Not. Like. Allison. Point. Blank. Period. That being said, every show needs a character people love to hate and Allison most definitely that character. I don’t think Ali is “A” only because she was one of the first to be targeted by “A.” Although, knowing her, she could have found out who it was, killed that person and then taken over. The actress that portrays Allison (Sasha Pieterse) is very good with her portrayal so kudos to her for entertaining the masses and for eliciting such strong emotions from viewers. I was already looking forward to the Christmas episode, but now I am on pins and needles! Also I was psyched to hear that Janel Parrish will be on Dancing With the Stars! Way to keep it in the family, ABC! :) I don’t care as long as JP is still on TV, I am a happy girl!

17. Alison so knows who A is and is just stringing these girls along.I highly doubt she doesn’t. She knows way more than they think she does.She might have gotten herself out of being blamed for Bethany’s murder and put that on my poor Spencer but she is still scared of someone out there that wasn’t mona.

18. shannon says:

i believe that Ali is A because on the last episode Spencer looks at a old pic of all of them and it said kisses on it jus like -A. so thats why I think its Ali.

• Alison says:

A has always been known to copy Alisons speech and to talk like they were Alison, even when A was Mona. The whole Kisses thing is another example of that. Plus with the new promo we know for sure Ali isn’t A :)

19. Vineela says:

“Mona knows too much”.,thought A and killed her…..First time more revealing of A has been done in this episode and all hinting towards Hanna, the head tilt A made while she stairs up like Hanna did all the time. We all saw Alison in black hood, but her stature didn’t match with A’s in the last episode. Much excited to see the next half season.

• Britt says:

Hanna ???? When they showed A in Mona’s house , they showed A’s hair and Hanna’s hair is much shorter , so wrong ! And what possible motive would Hanna have to do all this ?

• 5654funny says:

well there’s Ce Ce Drake and i think she’s lying so she on the a team and a big a and another a The Black Widow unmasked in the Free Fall we dont know The Black Widow, with a a mask but the black thing on the top of the mask i think it’s a parent how hurt Bethany or possiblity sarah hardy and if that’s right then if both girls were gone i should’ve said parents of Bethany Young and Parens of Sarah Harvey

20. Nik says:

I have two screen shots of this show. The hair in front as girl walked into Mona’s room has straight as an arrow blonde hair. Look for yourselves. 3:47 seconds before ending. It’s not Alison’s hair.

21. Ada says:

I am extremely shocked Mona died I thought she would be the one to kill the person who snuck up on her which I believe is Ali..

• 5654funny says:

Ada

BETHANY IS ALIVE
      BETHANY IS SISTER ALISON (HALF SISTER)
      BETHANY KNEW ALISON
      bethany attacked alison that night she fled the radley,
      THEN mRS D SAW BETHANY AND SOON AFTER she PROTECTED BETHANY YOUNG
      Radley Sanaturium = Mary Jessica DiLaurentis.
      CeCe knew Bethany and knew of the case of Mrs D and Bethany father we dont know what the father real name is
      Bethany is Black Widow and -A.
      Ce Ce knew that Bethany is alive and brought her back from the and waited for Bethany to wake up but the only thing that kept Bethany alive was for ce ce to make a mask a black suite and gloves for her ce ce is a big a and Bethany is lady in black or as acting helper that hatches plans for A this is when i have go back to bed with a ice pack on my head because this is giving me a headache because they are 3 girls allison Bethany and Sarah Hardy and we dont know anything about Bethany and Sarah at all
      remember there is The Black Widow black swan Queen of Hearts And A with a black suite and a black widow curtain over the mask

22. Jennifer says:

Yes! Excited to know more about Mona. And what really happened in that house. But i dont think Allison kills people. She sends people to do her dirty work. If Allison reay killed Mona I dont think she would have shown up at the scene and smiled. I think Ali send one of her minons or CeCe to do the dirty work and she was confirming it was done.

23. Emma says:

i think who killed mona was someone in a blonde wig, if it was ali, mona’s reaction would have been totally different, she genuinely looked terrified, also, i dont think ali is A

24. Maya says:

I don’t know who a Is I just think it’s Mona or her army gang

25. Maya says:

It was CeCe Drake who Killed Mona and Bethany and other people too I think it’s CeCe Drake

26. shyann says:

I think Allison did it, but at the same time I don’t think shes capable of doing that. I also think that cece might’ve come back……..

27. Gabrielle says:

I am so glad she is not dead she was actually very pretty I’m just scared that the girls are going to be hunted after like mona said once ally goes for me she’s going for all of you

28. Robert says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! IM SOOOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! Mona was and always will be my favorite character and just seeing her dead blew my heart into a million pieces!!!! But now, knowing she will still be on the show via flashbacks makes her death kinda cool Lol. Plus Janel is an amazing actress and this show is just where she belongs!!

29. Amber Reynolds says:

Yay just bring Mona back please…..

30. 5654funny says:

No I am not happy that Mona is coming back first of all their I’s a picture of the a team and identity to a and Allison isn’t in the picture because shana Mona and the team will totally freak out if she was in the picture with all of them

• 5654funny says:

Oops I meant first of all there is a picture of the a team one is a the other one is a helper Allison may be helping a with something

Shana Mona and others are in the picture not allison

31. jamila says:

WE LOVE YOU MONA!!! :) SO SAD TO SEE YOU GO, BUT I`LL LOOK FORWARD TO THE GHOST APPEARANCES!

32. MissJossiiee says:

I actually always liked Mono, of course she was not the nicest of people but she made the show quite interesting. I’m actually horrified they killed her! But glad shell be in the show, even if only for flashbacks. Maybe we will finally see how terrible the poor girl was actually treated before she became evil. I don’t think Jason is A however, nor do i think it’s Ali, it be just to much of an “i Knew it” I was thinking it was Cici that might have done it, but after thinking while I’m not so sure now… did anyone read the actual books? doesn’t Ali have a biological twin in them…Maybe they are gonna throw that twist in there… just maybe… RIP Mona </3

33. Serena De La Rosaa says:

i can’t believe Alison killed her -.-
    i really liked Mona, I hate Alison or Cece

34. Taylor Moore says:

It would hav been better if A kidnaped Mona and hav put pigs blood/fake blood all over the house, that would hav made an intrusting story for part two (the girls finding Mona). I am glad that she’s coming back but to me if they are going to have flash backs with her it’s seems like it’s just gonna drag the show down more then give us answers. And I don’t understand, when the police found out that the body was that of Bethany Young and knew she went to Radly why didn’t they go their and look through the case files like Spencer and Mona did?

35. destiny says:

What about mike? I can’t keep thinking about him. The girl he learned to love is dead. He will b so crushed…

36. destiny says:

What about mike? The girl he learned to love is dead. He will be so crushed…

37. Bob says:

So awesome that your ‘re still on. Mona is my favorite character for the simple reason that she wasn’t what people thought she was and I feel a lot of people can connect with that. And if I may throw in my opinion I think it was Cece who killed Mona, thus the smugness on Ali’s face.

38. bitch says:

There was a scene in season 4 when Spencer tried to lure A out of hiding by wearinf a blonde wig at the zoo. But when the person comes to meet them there, theyre wearing a blonde wig to make them think it was hanna/alison. They left their wig behind. I wouldnt doubt this being a wig. For all we know it was Noel. Who seems to be working for alison for no reason. Im sad mona is dead. They should have killed off Toby or Jenna. Both are dead in the book series lol

39. Janie💗 says:

I think Ali is ‘A’ because they used a few clues in the latest episode like the pic in the book that spencer wad writing and what she said to emily something like well played? Im pretty sure ‘A’ sent the girls a text like that..

• Janie💗 says:

*i mean the book spencer was reading full of pictures

• 5654funny says:

there is no way that Allison is A well how can i put this there’s a Bethany Young and Sarah Hardy the one person who’s in Bethany casket is Sarah Hardy she went missing on the same day as allison disappeared on the labor day weekend the police didn’t to a great job on identifying the right person so whoever is A killed Sarah Hardy i am pretty sure that it’s Bethany or ce ce drake in the finale when A Killed Mona A Style is a homicide with blood every where of course that is not Allison style it’s Bethany or a Ce Ce Style

• 5654funny says:

BETHANY IS ALIVE
        BETHANY IS SISTER ALISON (HALF SISTER)
        BETHANY KNEW ALISON
        bethany attacked alison that night she fled the radley,
        THEN mRS D SAW BETHANY AND SOON AFTER she PROTECTED BETHANY YOUNG
        Radley Sanaturium = Mary Jessica DiLaurentis.
        Bethany is Black Widow and -A.

• 5654funny says:

Janie There is no way that Allison is A Carla Grunwald has a photo of the A Team and the only names are on the a list is Mona Shana Jenna Hanna Marin Spencer Hastings Emily Fields Caleb Rivers Anne Sullivan Garrett Reynolds Paige McCullers Jason DiLaurentis Mona Vanderwaal Lucas Gottesman Toby Cavanaugh Ezra Fitz Darren Wilden (Former – deceased) Melissa Hastings (Former, possibly) Allison is unknown but on the B Team someone who looks like her frame her for killing someone but we dont the other two girls 1 is Bethany she faked her death while someone hit her in the head the other girl is Sarah Hardy and we dont know her and she went missing on labor day weekend and to the prior of the events Sarah is in Bethany Casket but there is something going on with allison with red ink she but in the texted message sounds like that Bethany is ready to kill someone and Bethany is an evil twin and wants allison dead for unknown reasons even thou allison lure Bethany back to rosewood

40. I’m so site to see the Christmas special.

41. It’s either Ali or Cece.

42. i’ll miss Mona but it was not Alison who killed
    her i think it was CC’s twin Courtney,

43. Theresa says:

Personally, I don’t think Ali killed Mona. Yeah, she’s a b*tch and is certainly plotting something, but they’re making it seem oh too obvious that it was her. Blonde haired killer, Ali’s smug look on her face, etc. It’s pointing too much to Ali. Personally, I think it’s another blonde. One we haven’t seen in a while. Yeah, can you guess where I’m going with this? … Cece Drake. Think about it! It makes perfect sense. Cece mysteriously disappeared, which we know doesn’t happen on the show. The characters that leave always find their way back. And when we thought Ezra was A, all signs pointed to him, when it wasn’t him at all! They’re making it seem too obvious that Ali is the killer.
    I think Alison is pulling the strings, but she’s too cowardly to kill Mona herself. No, Cece is her hit man, and always has been. Anyone else feel the same way as me?

• Latoya says:

I think you may have a point. Now I’m even more eager for the christmas episode. I hate the breaks in between shows!!!

• Elizabeth says:

I think you have a point, it does seem too obvious but CeCe’s hair is more of a strawberry blonde and when we see the hair on Mona’s killer, its more like Alison’s colour but I’m still confused as heck, it does seem too obvious to be Ali.

44. illka says:

I am glad Mona will still be around.

45. Latoya says:

I was just starting to like Mona for helping the PLLs and then she got killed. I think Allison killed her and Allison should have been the one really killed off; she is devious and only thinks of herself and her friends had her back through it all. I’m glad that Mona will still be a regular on the show, I’m dying to see her fight. I was so sad when I saw Mona in the trunk and thought she might actually still be alive. But it’s good to know she will be still be part of the show, I can’t wait to see her torture and haunt Alison!!

46. Sara says:

i am glad mona will be sticking around because she was one of my faviortes and i think alison killed her

47. 5654funny says:

Sarah
    BETHANY IS ALIVE
    BETHANY IS SISTER ALISON (HALF SISTER)
    BETHANY KNEW ALISON
    bethany attacked alison that night she fled the radley,
    THEN mRS D SAW BETHANY AND SOON AFTER she PROTECTED BETHANY YOUNG
    Radley Sanaturium = Mary Jessica DiLaurentis.
    Bethany is Black Widow and -A.

48. zee says:

I just had liked her again felt bad for her in the end! But I am happy she will be a part of pll still!I think cece drake is A! She’s prob related to Bethany or something and is getting revenge!

49. zee says:

I was sad and felt bad for her in the end! But I’m happy that she will still be a part of the show ! :-) I think that Cece Drake is a , maybe she’s related to Bethany and is seeking revenge!

50. kristine vilaire says:

I think Mona being in a flashback will be interesting. It might give us viewers a hint to figure out who is A.