Report: Full House Revival In the Works With Original Cast Members Attached

Full House Revival

Wondering what the Full House gang is up to, 20 years after the ABC sitcom wrapped its eight-season run? You might be getting your answer sooner than you think.

RELATED John Stamos Guest-Starring on ABC’s Galavant as a Knight in Singing Armor

A revival of the classic comedy is currently in the works, according to a report from TVGuide.com, with several of the show’s original producers and cast members attached. John Stamos (Jesse), Candace Cameron Bure (D.J.), Jodie Sweetin (Stephanie) and Andrea Barber (Kimmy) are all reportedly game for the new series, while Bob Saget (Danny) and Dave Coulier (Joey) have also shown interest.

The project would be written for Warner Bros. Television by Full House creator Jeff Franklin, who would be joined by original executive producer Bob Boyett.

To be fair, this isn’t a complete surprise. Much of the cast — save for Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who have been busy running their fashion empire or solving mysteries or whatever — have staged televised reunions over the years, including a memorable 2014 Tonight Show skit in which Bob Saget, Dave Coulier and John Stamos reprised their Full House roles for a performance of “Teddy Bear”:

And who could forget when Lori Loughlin locked lips with former TV husband Stamos (in-character with Jesse and the Rippers) on Late Night in 2013?

OK, time to weigh in: Do you think a Full House reunion is a good idea? While some revivals have fared well in recent years — Girl Meets WorldHawaii Five-0Dallas and even 90210 — there have also been plenty of flops. (Bury my heart at Melrose Place.) Drop a comment with your thoughts on the Tanners’ potential comeback below.

1. torimelching says:

I didn’t know how much I wanted this until now. What about Saved by the Bell, did that ever go anywhere with Jimmy Fallon trying to get them all together?

2. Lizzie says:

I don’t think it is a full fledge show but a special. I’m a little torn in one way I want to see them get back together. In another they are always together. The Olsens seem to be tight with John Stamos and Saggot.

• Andy Swift says:

They might try a special and see whether or not the reaction merits a full series. Either way, I’m hesitant. One of the reasons I love watching FH reruns is because of how cheesy it is. Not sure if that tone would work today.

• LEP says:

Agree with you. The kid-friendly sit-coms today are also cheesy, but with a few exceptions, seem to miss a certain sparkle. Good Luck Charlie is a great exception. Funny cast – funny show. I don’t know. Maybe you can repeat history, but I think the show captured the 90’s. Not sure it would translate for now.

• Maria says:

Agreed. Good Luck Charlie was one show I never minded watching with my daughter. The cast was pretty talented and the writing was better than average.

3. Addie says:

AKA “No one is making any money at the moment, so let’s just hop on the nostalgia train!” Not the reunion anyone needed (unfortunately I have to sit through Girl Meets World for the one I want).

4. MattArmando says:

This could go VERY well, considering it has Jeff Franklin & Boyett attached. ABC needs another hit family comedy.

5. Kay says:

I’m with torimelching- I didn’t know I wanted this until right now!

6. Laurie says:

Without the Olsen twins, it really wouldn’t work. They were the stars of the original show, really.

7. Eric says:

This is absolutely perfect. As a kid who was born in the ’90s, the recent Boy Meets World continuation and now a potential Full House revival make me so incredibly happy. I hope this one comes to fruition.

8. Let us not forget that the premise of the show originates in tragedy with the death of the three girl’s mom. Would a sequel follow that idea and kill someone? Imagine that Steve dies and Stephanie has to move in with DJ to help with her kids the same way Jesse moved in with Danny.

9. Patti says:

With the original creator and executive producer involved? I absolutely would watch it. Would love to see Dave Coulier and John Stamos recreate their hilarious banter. This could be a lot of fun !!!

10. Diz says:

Yes, I would watch. Make it happen! If I see a rerun on late on night I find myself stopping the channel surfing and stick with it. I loved it then and still love it now.

11. vklapp says:

yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

12. Luis says:

We should have seen this coming as soon as “Girl Meets World” was announced. Please, please, please, stop now

13. Et al says:

I’m all for this if the go ‘The Bradys’ route: make DJ an alcoholic, put Michelle in a wheelchair, have Stephanie adopt a Korean baby.

14. Drew says:

I imagine that Michelle would be the one to die and leave her kids to her sisters.
    Either way, I guess it could possibly work. It would be nice if ABC brought back TGIF as a night of wholesome family-friendly entertainment. Maybe a couple of sitcoms and an hour-long family drama that isn’t sexy or super political or any of that. It sounds weird to say, but we could use more heartwarming, somewhat sugary sweet shows on the air. Society is way to depressing these days. Everyone is tearing everyone else down.

15. jo jo jo says:

No thanks

16. alistaircrane says:

Candace Cameron has turned into a religious freakshow, so no, I won’t watch it if she’s involved.

• Drew says:

What makes her a freakshow? She seems perfectly normal to me. Happy, healthy and with a solid family. Run for the hills!

• Tran says:

Candace Cameron Bure was so great on DWTS. I was rooting for her until the very end.

• JBC says:

Love Candace Cameron Bure. It was great to see her on DWTS and I really hope that they will make a new Full House. The ratings for the original show are still very good. This is a multi generational show.. Nice to see child stars like Candace grow up and have a good marriage and happy family.

17. Jaclyn says:

I would love this!! Own all seasons and watch re-runs every time they’re on! This show rocks.

18. Jenny says:

Cut. It. Out.

19. Ezzy Klein says:

What about a spinoff?

20. Tony Lang says:

Let sleeping sitcoms lie. Plenty of funny actors and starving writers out there, no need to Brady-up a 90s favorite.

21. Tran says:

As Joey Tanner would say: CUT IT OUT

22. Fran says:

I think I’m more shocked that its been 20 years since this show ended! I’m not ashamed to admit that I would watch though. I think its nice that most of the cast have remained so close.

23. arial2 says:

Just say NO! For a moment it sounds sweet, but when you think of the reality (even the youngest kids are now adults), is this really what the current “targeted demographic” would watch, week-to-week? Perhaps a tv movie would be a better direction to go. I’d probably check that out. I understand ABC’s desire to raise its ratings, but why go with a retread of a story that’s already been told? How about ABC asking its writers to use the creativity they’re hired for and imagine something new?

24. Tom says:

As long as this stops people from calling him “Uncle Joey.” It’s one of my biggest pet peeves. I know I should get a life but nobody EVER referred to him as Uncle Joey. It was Uncle Jesse and Joey. End of story.

25. Tom says:

The flagship series began with their mother dying. This series is to begin with another death. A major death of galactic proportions. Yes, the girls decide they need to help one another cope with the death of their dog Comet.

26. Fernanda says:

Maybe the main character could be CJ and her family with the special guest appearance of former cast members and the annoying Kimmy Gibler. Next shows in the works:
    “Saved by the Bell again” starred by the son of Zack and Kelly.
    “Growing Pains with Mike”.. starred by Kirk Cameron and his real life family
    “The Wonder Years: Kevin and Winnie Reunion” set in the 90s and based on HIMYM finale after Kevin’s wife dies and he reunites with his former girlfriend

• Pat says:

No Steve Urkel Gets New Suspenders? Family Ties Loosened A Bit? Step by Step by Step? Greener Acres? The Facts of Another Life? All in the Bigger Family? Now Who’s The Boss? More Beverly Hillbillies? MASH-ed? Be Bewitched? I dream of jeannie’s daughter? McHale’s Son’s Navy? Gilligan’s shrinking island?

umm I’m out

• herman1959 says:

I believe a remake of Bewitched was tried a few years ago and it crashed and burned very quickly. The same would happen with Full House – just say NO.

• Tony Lang says:

“Sabrina the Middle-Age Witch”, “No, Seriously Who’s The Boss, Damn Alzheimer”, “The Cosby Jello Puddin’ Pop Power Hour”, “Happy Days: Revenge of the shark”, “The Spoiling Prince of Bel Air”, “12 Steps by Steps”, and last but not least, “Doogie Howser: Legen…wait for it”.

27. Angel says:

Just don’t cast those ugly twins from Teen Wolf as Nicky and Alex.

28. Mai says:

YES! I would totally watch a Full House revival series with the original cast. After watching those YT vids, I want this series back even more. Grew up on Full House, and it was my family’s favorite show, when it was on air.

29. Katie C says:

I would love a full house reunion!!! But, without MK & Ashley, it just won’t be the same!!! They need to be on board! I mean, come on, they aren’t busy.

30. Phil says:

I still maintain that the CW didn’t give Melrose Place a fair chance…katie Cassidy rocked that show. I enjoyed the revival…not as much as the original, but a good enough show to watch weekly for me. Still wish they would do a Knots Landing revival. As for Full House, I’d give it a loom!

31. Gail says:

If Lori (Aunt Becky) isn’t involved, then I am out. I could totally do without the Olson twins

32. Christian says:

ugh.

33. westwingwolf says:

If Lori doesn’t get involved, what if they say that Aunt Becky died? Then Uncle Jesse remarries Kimmy Gibbler just like she always wanted.

34. Jake says:

No to anything with that no-talent Saget in it.

35. Cindy says:

Any reason to get John Stamos back on my tv regularly, count me in!

36. Celesta says:

Wouldn’t be the same without Michelle Tanner :(

37. Allie Padgett says:

I think would be terrific! I would definitely watch and buy it that’s for sure!

38. Shea Gunning says:

I think it’s an Awesome idea to bring the Tanner family back… I think that they should have stayed the Tanner family a lot longer than they did…