Chelsea Lately's Final Hour: Handler Says (and Sings) Goodbye to E!

Chelsea Handler Last Episode

Truly a vision in white, Chelsea Handler was met with a standing ovation at the top of Tuesday’s awkward, emotional — and, most dangerously, live — final episode of E!’s Chelsea Lately.

RELATED Chelsea Handler, Netflix to ‘Revolutionize’ the Talk Show Beginning in 2016

“Tonight, we’re wrapping up seven years of stupidity, and I am very impressed with myself,” the hostess began. “The only other time I spent seven years in one place was high school.”

And now, for a rundown of the final hour’s biggest — and surprisingly star-studded — moments:

* Ellen DeGeneres stopped by for the show’s final shower bit, in which Handler tried to convince her that she’s a lesbian. (Spoiler alert: It did not work.)

* Handler thanked her regular stable of guest comedians, whom she brought out one last time — categorized by race and mental stability, naturally.

* Mary McCormack, Jennifer Aniston and Sandra Bullock staged an intervention, explaining how each of their lives has nosedived since becoming friends with Handler. They also joked that “Netflix” was code for rehab, and that everyone supports her decision to go.

* Handler’s ex 50 Cent also dropped by, escorted by Bullock, which was a pretty ridiculous sight to see.

* Did anyone else get strangely choked up during that Chuy retrospective? The sight of a tiny man floating through outer space in a bikini really packs a punch.

* A performance by Miley Cyrus, singing Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over”? Sure, why not?

* Last, but certainly not least, was an A-list send-off with a dumbfounding collection of big names. The gang — which included Alanis Morissette, Gerard Butler, Gwen Stefani, Fergie, Avril Lavigne, Johnny Knoxville, LeAnn Rimes, Leah Remini, Tim Gunn and Kathy Griffin — sang a “We Are the World” spoof, bidding farewell to E! on Handler’s behalf.

What did you think of Handler’s last hurrah? Browse our gallery of memorable moments, then drop a comment with your review. (Plus, will you follow her to Netflix?)

1. TV Gord says:

It was a singular, unique event! It was a perfect ending for this show. The best train wreck ever! I despised her when she first hit our screens in Canada (when Shaw Media started a Canadian version of E!). I thought I would be glad when that channel folded, but I found myself missing her unfiltered and straight-forward view on Hollywood.

Some time later, E! returned to Canada with CTV’s phoenix-like revival of the E! brand, and having Chelsea back was like a salve to my black soul. Now, she’s gone again. She’ll be back, of course, forcing me to sign up with Netflix. I’m sure the cost will go up by then, and I thank you in advance for that, Chelsea, you insufferable asshole! ;-) :-D

2. LStewart says:

This is how do you a finale. It was so funny, heartfelt with some really great surprises. With the regular roundtable comedians live tweeting with the #ChelseaFinale hashtag, you could see backstage and some really cute ‘last show’ pictures. I really hope all of the round table comedians are able to participate in Chelsea’s Netflix show, they are all so talented and hilarious. I don’t know what I am supposed to do every night at 11 o’clock from now on…

3. CJ says:

I thought it was great. I was blown away by all the people who showed up for the song at the end – I mean Buzz freakin’ Aldrin?! That alone was amazing, but the whole group was truly impressive. I think that says a lot more about Chelsea Handler the person than Chelsea Handler the comedian. I’ve really grown to love this goofy show over the years and I will miss it a great deal. Looking forward to what Chelsea does next.

4. LeAnn Rimes. Seriously. A-list?

5. David Lee Ross Gellar says:

Good riddance. Let’s see if her ratings are even too low for Netflix standards in six months.

6. Bradster says:

The best finale EVER! Glad I got to go to a taping in a trip to LA and caught one of Chuy’s balls. Live In Infamy Chelsea Lately

7. Sandra Smith says:

I thought the finale show was great. It was so good to see Chelsea and her show say goodbye, and on her terms. She gave her fans a perfect closure. Kudos for that. I love that she called it quits and did not wait for the network to cancel her, everything was done on her terms.She was in control. She took a page from Oprah’s book.
    Congratulations and Good Luck on Netflix Chelsea..

Libraalone

8. Maxsmom says:

Sometimes I watched Chelsea nightly, sometimes I could go months without tuning in, I am glad I tuned in last night (Tuesday, August 26). It was one of the best series finale ever. I laughed, I got choked up and I was genuinely surprised by both the star power and the returns of what seemed to be every roundtable participant ever. In the past few days, I’ve watched the VMAs, the Emmys, and this finale, Chelsea Lately was the most satisfying by far and I am going to miss having Chelsea Handler to kick around.

9. Trashy Kardashians says:

LOVED IT–

10. James says:

Was Adele there too? I swear I saw her in the final song. Disappointed that Sofia Vergara wasn’t there as I loved that bit with her saying how she didn’t care if Chelsea didn’t understand her.

11. Jack says:

“A-list”? “big names”?

I dont think those words mean what you think they mean…

12. HAP says:

I’m fairly certain that outside of her Borderline Amazing employees, no one there got paid. Just goes to show how throwing parties can get you friends. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what they did after the show?

13. Ronnie says:

In the still for the first video posted here (with Chelsea talking to Ellen), it looks like she has a small lump on the side of her boob.

14. Dan says:

Good riddance. She’s a no talent, low class, drugged out, alcoholic, whore. All she did was sleep her way to the top. Great role model there, huh, ladies? All she did was promote filth every night. She will bomb on Netflix and fade off into Hollyweird’s land of the forgotten. Nothing more than a blink in the eye of the entirety of show business. So long.