Rookie Blue Recap: Out With a Bang

Rookie Blue Marlo Pregnant

Warning: The following recap contains major spoilers from Thursday’s season finale of Rookie Blue. If you have yet to watch, avert your eyes. Everyone else, read on…

Rookie Blue‘s Season 5 finale didn’t spare any punches, wrapping with a boom, a bun in the oven and a big dilemma.

RELATED Rookie Blue’s Missy Peregrym Talks Andy and Sam’s Step Forward, ‘Big’ Issues Ahead

With so many juicy twists and cliffhangers, let’s not waste any time getting down to business.

BABY BOOM | The angry neighbor (the always terrific Shawn Doyle, Big Love) from a few weeks ago returns to terrorize 15 Division, setting off bombs around the city as payback for his son’s death in an explosion. One such bomb goes off in the evidence room at the precinct as Andy is searching for something. Miraculously, she walks away unscathed, save for some ringing in her ears and some hurt ribs. But she sure did give Sam a scare. Will you accept his darn key to his home now, Andy? Because Chloe was right — if you don’t, you’re an idiot. And with Sam’s ex Marlo back at 15 as an Intelligence officer — and possibly carrying his baby! — now is the time to commit. (Does the timeline add up on Marlo’s pregnancy? How many months have passed since she and Sam broke up?)

Rookie Blue Marlo PregnantA NEW ROMANCE | Nick keeps running into the lady (Being Erica‘s Erin Karpluk) who paid for his toothbrushes. He tries to get her phone number after knocking her off her bike as a bemused Gail videotapes the awkward exchange. Eventually, Nick tracks down the mystery woman (aka Juliet) at her favorite café and tells her he can’t stop thinking about her. Cuteness ensues, followed by kissing, and I can’t stop grinning. Thank you, Rookie Blue, for combining two of my favorite things: Nick Collins and Being Erica. Unfortunately, the adorableness is cut off after Nick tells Julia that he’s a cop and she hightails it out of there. So what big secret do we think she’s hiding that she’s so afraid of the police? Did she kidnap her “son”? Is she on the lam? (Sorry, I’ve been watching a lot of Finding Carter on MTV.)

RELATED Rookie Blue Cops Supersized Season 5

Rookie Blue Marlo PregnantMOTHERLY INSTINCTS | Gail’s decided to start the adoption process with the girl whose mother died earlier this season. I love this storyline for Gail. After being stuck in a state of perpetual snark since her split with Holly, here’s a chance to see a different side of Gail. And bonus: Holly wants her back! But just after Gail tells her she’s ready to be a mother, Holly reveals that she accepted a job in San Francisco and she was going to ask Gail to move with her. Decisions, decisions!

KISS AND TELL | Dov breaks up with Chloe after he finds out that Wes kissed her and that she’s been lying to him. She shows up at the precinct in the pretty red dress she was going to wear to win him back. Dov is unmoved. He loves her, he admits to Marlo, but he doesn’t trust her.

AND EVERYONE ELSE… | Chris returns to work, and Sam hopes his vacation was “dry.” Chris may be back on vacay after failing to find a razor on the bomber, who ends up killing himself in the interrogation room. … Duncan almost gets himself blown up, of course. Nick ends up saving his life by insulating the bomb’s charge. Nick Collins is a superstar, and you can’t tell me otherwise.

Rookie Blue fans, what did you think of the finale’s baby cliffhanger? Will Dov, as Andy’s friend, spill the beans? What are you hoping happens with Gail and Holly? And was Fairytale Ruiner Guy totally hitting on Traci? Hit the comments with your thoughts and grade the episode via the poll below!

1. Katie says:

Great finale! Sam and Andy are just adorable!! I loved the case! If Sam is the daddy…. I’ll lose it. He can only have kids with Andy!

2. Delaina says:

Please, please,please let that baby be anyone’s else’s but Sam. There’s “ooohh” let’s throw a stickie wicket in their path” and then there is “oooh, let’s throw every shark from Shark Week at them”. For Pete’s sake, give the kids a week or 2 with no drama.

• dude says:

Jumping the shark doesn’t mean “bad plot twist.” It’s not great writing but it’s hardly derailed the entire series.

• ec says:

“Oh, and for the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy *literally* jumped over a shark. And it was the best one!”

• Delaina says:

If I tried hard enough I could most likely find a true “jump the shark” episode.
        My comment about the sharks came from binge watching shark week & only taking a break for RB. I genuinely love this show but Marlo having Sam’s baby…I just don’t know.

• Curly Girly says:

Ummmmm….I think that is where the term “jumped the shark” originated. Just FYI.

• Amanda says:

I agree!!! Sam ❤️ Andy !!! Sam ❤️ Andy !!! Sam ❤️ Andy

3. Leigh says:

Gail and Holly….AND Sophie better be endgame.

4. S says:

I love Nick Collins and I think everything Erin Karpluk is adorable……but you cannot combine these things and hope to make up for such a lackluster season. You broke up my favorite couples, we lost witty Gail/Holly and Andy/Nick banter, and…..Duncan, who is the worst character since Ellis from SMASH. Hopefully Season 6 is more like these final two episodes and the writers come up with better storylines.

5. Angie says:

Please let Price be pregnant and Dove is the father, Let Andy and Sam stay together they deserve it.

6. Betsy says:

I don’t think the baby can possibly be Sam’s – Sam got shot and recovered and is back at work. While I eventually realized that Dov was looking to Marlo for an explanation, I originally thought Chloe had left it for Dov!

My take on the razor is that Duncan’s step daddy is a baddie, and killed the bomber himself. (Being part of the corrupt system the bomber was trying to expose)

Duncan couldn’t be dumber, altho at least he realized it. I *may have yelled “blow him up!” At one point.

No idea on Juliet. Perhaps lost a previous love to violence. Nick is the bomb, no pun intended.

And I absolutely thought fairy tale killer was totally going to kiss Traci under the umbrella.

• Tiffany says:

hahaha I love your analysis .. I agree on all parts. MAYBE.. JUST MAYBE Price left it for Dove!?!? maybe we’re all mistaken!! I’d like that … For some reason …. I feel like Juliet could be the bombers ex wife……… but that’s stretching it considering she seems so young.. I also question why Marlo was so gun-ho on sending Andy to the evidence locker but I’m totally anti-Marlo .. so I feel like she’s evil on all ends.

• relieved says:

Yes! This explains why the look in Dove’s eyes was excitement, not the horror that was in mine! I wonder if he saw Price’s name on the sonogram.
      Also, I really love the idea of Traci and Bailey. He’s such a great character. Always saving the day.

• Amanda says:

Totally agree with all that!! Dov and Chloe (+baby) and Tracy and bomb dude !!
        Don’t want Marlo back! Love Sam ❤️ Andy

• martins says:

Thumps up….exacly what I want,tho I think d baby wil b sam’s but he’ll eventualy end up with andy after all d drama

• jbthomson2014 says:

Martin, could you elaborate your theory that Sam is the baby’s daddy? Wouldn’t Marlo be anxious to inform Sam of the news and yet she ignored phone calls from Sam about how she was doing when she was being investigated by SIU? Love Andy and Sam- no other couple on RB has such powerful love and trust!!
            Another triangle developing with Steve,Traci and ETF Bailey.Bring it on! It’ll be entertaining!

• kpaakpa says:

I don’t even want it to be my theory…I hate marlo.bt for them 2 kip it interesting, is for us SamAndy fans to rili wanna know wots happenin,so I tink they may either say its sams baby or kip us waitin 2 knw who d baby belongs 2

• jbthomson2014 says:

The writers can’t be that desperate to have dilemma of Marlo being pregnant by Sam. Surely they know that the fans would be able to figure out the time line of the pregnancy doesn’t add up! They can make things interesting for other characters and let Sam and Andy continue to learn more about themselves and live happily ever after including their wedding and playing with the kids on Sunday’s at the park!

• kpaakpa says:

Love that SamAndy happy for once idea

• Amanda says:

I think Duncan’s daddy is the one who placed bomb in evidence to get rid of “evidence” on hard drives that proves he is a bad dude. And I don’t think the timeline fits for Marlo to be pregnant with Sams baby. She isn’t even showing. I am hoping it is Chloe And Dov’s !!!!

• jbthomson2014 says:

My thought is that Marlo placed the bomb in the evidence room to get rid of Andy.How did she get her job back with all that she did with the Ford dilemma!-out of control with her mental illness and causing the shooting of Sam.She’s in on the police conspiracy with Santana and Jarvis is my theory.
        I agree with you about the timeline about being pregnant. Not showing after 4 months of being away???? Not possible

• winfield says:

I think Intelligence realized that Marlo is a brilliant analyst, capable of hyper-focus on a case, and took her gladly. It gets her off the streets, and takes away her gun, while taking full advantage of her instincts and talents. Don’t know why she sent Andy to evidence, unless she was just pulling rank on the woman who took the man she loves.
          And I’m on the Dov-Chloe pregnancy bandwagon. Cause that’s what it better be! Do NOT mess with Sam and Andy!

• jbthomson2014 says:

Marlo is a skilled cop but still don’t understand how she’s still working! Frank Best got fired for allowing the shooting, etc. in a secured building that she caused really.
            Dov/Chloe being parents is an interesting plot for season 6. They’re cute together but have a lot of issues to resolve with trust and honesty.
            Just saw some photos on ET Canada while filming the second half of season– Juliet is a cop herself and last name is Ward. Maybe she’s working out of 27 Division. Here’s hoping Nick and Juliet hook up and have a happy life together.
            The other photo I noted was Sam and Oliver talking in the station and Oliver wasn’t wearing a white shirt, wonder who is the staff sergeant now. It would be great to see Frank back and then Noelle would be back also. Sounds good to me.
            Hope they continue to have Oliver on screen cuz he’s great but prefers to be out on the streets instead of giving orders and dealing with the politics of the force.

• jbthomson2014 says:

If Marlo is pregnant with Sam’s baby,the time line is off, and she is irresponsible to Sam and herself, the unborn child for sure! she’s sly and evil, don’t like her being back. Never thought of Chloe and Dov being new parents, interesting thought tho.
      I suspect the inspector Jarvis as he was ordered by Santana to kill off Ted. They’re both corrupt.
      My thought on Juliet, she had a family member, maybe her father or fiancée got killed in the line of duty so doesn’t want to take a chance with Nick, her Romeo! they’re great together!
      Duncan may shed some light on his step daddy in Season 6 with regard to the Irish mob scenario and become a respected member of 15??? He was probably abused by his step dad.
      The RB triangle affect is once again brought in to play. Steve and ETF Bailey vying for Traci– her facial expression reflected to me that it’s a possibility!
      The scene with Sam and Andy was so touching, gentle and loving! McSwarek forever!

7. Kiks says:

So invested on this show!!! The chemistry between McNally and Swarek is fantastic. Great to have Erin Karpluk as well introduced ( I miss Being Erica!) ….really nice and enjoyable storytelling as a whole. Can’t believe it’s a whole year wait for the next season. Not fun at all!

8. Gina says:

Absolutely loved the finale. Sam and Andy are so cute. They are so in love. They are the most solid couple on the show. I loved how we saw their bond grow all season. Ben Bass was fantastic. The sheer terror in his eyes when he was searching for Andy was amazing.

I’ll be disappointed if the writers takes things down that Marlo/Sam path. There’s no need for that. Sam and Andy deserve all the happiness with out Marlo or her kid butting in.

9. Rockie says:

I know I just watched the season finale, I am really looking forward to the next season. Can’t wait to see sam’ reaction to his ex’s pregnancy if it is his but 5 months have past so it could be anyone’s right. Any how I really do hope in the next season dov gives chloe a second chance. People make mistakes all can be forgivin but not forgotten we’re only human we do learn from mistakes.

10. Julio says:

No new eps until 2015? I’m not gonna make it that far.

11. Amazing episode! I love Rookie Blue..and i’m loving the great development in Sam and Andy’s relationship. But a big HELL NO to that baby drama.

12. Ljt says:

I don’t think the bomber killed himself, I think he was murdered.

13. Amanda says:

I was really annoyed Andy dropped Nick like she did. I thought they were really good together and the Sam situation has always annoyed me. That being said I think he has really grown this season and now I am on board with them again. I think its been to long for Marlo to be preggers with Sams baby, I really hope they do not go down that path.
    Nick needs to meet someone. I think Juliet is somehow connected to the police maybe someones ex wife or daughter.
    I think the bomber was helped along by someone and it could have been step daddy. I hope Sam looks into this more and exposes any corruption. Maybe Duncan will prove himself a decent person and help with the investigation.

14. TinLV says:

Maybe Juliet’s ex was a cop and she just doesn’t want to go down that road again. I hope she gets over whatever the problem is because I really like her and Nick together.

How in the world does Andy escape a bomb in the room without even an injury bad enough to go to the hospital and get checked out ? There were people hurt outside of the room, and she was barely scratched. Not very realistic. And who went flying thru the window ?

Holly is the one who has to make a decision because Gail has already made up mind to adopt the little girl and I don’t think she’s going to abandon the idea.

My guess is the ultrasound isn’t Marlo’s… that’s a red herring.

Someone killed the bomber.. he didn’t commit suicide. Whoever did it also set the bomb to blow up the evidence on those hard drives; easy to blame the dead bomber for that one.

15. Amy Street says:

My thought: The bomber didn’t kill himself! The police chief (Duncan’s Step-Dad) did it!

16. Anne says:

Hooray for Saint Nick! He totally saved the day with that car bomb. My heart leapt when he told Andy to leave because he’d just be worried about her. Sigh.
    I have no idea about this baby drama other than the timeline doesn’t seem to match up. Probably not Sam’s.
    I can’t believe it took until the finale for this show to finally pick up!
    I’m glad to see Nick happy but I felt like things with this new girl were a bit rushed. Nick doesn’t seem like the type of guy to go around kissing girls he doesn’t know.
    I can’t believe the season is over!!

17. Maria says:

I’m totally sick of nick. I rolled my eyes the entire time at him. Andy’s happy. She doesn’t need you, nick. I’m just so over this character. They spent too much time on him this season. I don’t care about him and his new girl. He can’t stop thinking about her? LMFAO. I’m sure in hight school he was voted most likely to fall in love daily. Oh please, Nick, just stop.

Sam and Andy were wonder, as always. They’ve come so far. Marlo’s reappearance was annoying, but I don’t think Sam knocked her up. It would be so dumb. Hope the writers aren’t that dumb.

Dov and Chloe were heartbreaking. I hope Dov let’s her in again.

I can’t wait to see Sam go after the dirty cops. The commissioner is the top dog.

18. Jules says:

I loved the finale !!
    Nick is a fantastic character. Love Andy and Sam together…he better not be the father of Marlo’s baby! Sad Dov and Chloe broke up. Tracey and the fairly tale man could be interesting although I really did like her with Steve. And Gail adopting Sophie is her best storyline…ever!

19. Gerald says:

Still hate the Andy Sam relationship. Why does she like him again? And I hate that the writers make her a insecure mess when Marlo shows up. Andy is one of the best characters on TV she just is all wrong when she is with Sam.
    My only other issue with this episode was Andy surviving the bomb blast unscathed was a little far fetched, but what bothered me is that she said she was fine. GET HER TO A HOSPITAL!!! She was in a bomb blast!!!
    Loved everything else about the episode.
    I also think Chris is not at fault. The Commish gave the guy the razor.
    I am really looking forward to the second half of this season next summer.

20. Angus says:

I saw this 3 weeks ago. Must be a U.S. showing.

21. Ari says:

I hate the baby cliffhanger. I hate it so much.

Sam and Andy just need to deal with their personal crises and accept being happy together.

I’m actually really excited about Gail’s adoption decision. I think she’d make a great mom and watching her tackle motherhood should be a hoot.

Nick Collins is a superstar and that should totally be the title of his spinoff series that they need to make.

22. marcie says:

The commissioner does seem like an excellent suspect and he proved he wasn’t above violence when he slammed McDonald. Not an explosive expert but I thought the bomb didn’t really hurt anyone because it was only a diversion so Ted McD could “commit suicide”. Ted looked surprised when it went off so I don’t think he set it. I did think the actor did a good job although he obviously had issues, I did sympathize with him regarding the loss of his son and miscarriage of justice.

As for questions concerning Marlo, I am more curious about how she got a promotion after the crimes, injuries, and destruction she largely caused last year. Other officers were suspended or demoted for a lot less. Intelligence is an elite unit and going there is considered a reward. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense unless baby daddy is high up in the department and called in some favors..

• Amanda says:

Totally agree with a of that. In addition she is on major medication for her “mental” condition which would possibly be dangerous for baby plus she isn’t showing at all plus it just doesn’t add up that it could be SAMs. Not only that but I don’t see how she could keep her job after they found out she is bipolar or not mentally stable. I think the commissioner gave macdonald the razor blade when he slammed his head on the table ?

23. Alison says:

LOVE Sam and Andy. She’s worried about getting past the honeymoon phase and doesn’t want things to be boring; that’s why she said no to Sam’s key, but I think Andy needs something to push her forward to be more committed to Sam. They’re both still growing and the growth never stops; you stop growing, you die. The Marlo sonogram thing definitely has more to it than we’re seeing right now. I did enjoy seeing Rachael’s face again! Love the hints at corruption stuff…that will make for an interesting storyline in the back 11 episodes. I hope that Dov will be able to forgive Chloe and Chloe is honest with Dov…I thought that was their thing anyways. Gail wanting to adopt Sophie is great because we see how happy Gail is to be doing the process and giving Sophie unconditional love. I’m over Holly because she’s too flighty and doesn’t seem serious enough about Gail. But if Holly grows up, maybe I can back Gail being with her. Nick is not a saint…I don’t know why anyone would even want a character to be perfect…talk about the fairytale fantasy! However, I do like Nick a lot better this season and am curious about the Juliet thing. Duncan is not a good cop, but I feel bad for him with nearly getting blown up and it seems like his stepdad, the commissioner, pushes him around. Traci and Bailey were pretty flirty..though I still like her and Steve. I just want Traci to be happy. She deserves that. This finale sets up for the back 11 episode storylines very well!

24. Aleana says:

Love it all I’m saying Gail Holly and Sophie better be endgame Gail is my favorite character

25. Sarah Wade says:

I loved these two episodes I watched them twice!
    I really love the Andy/Sam relationship. I have been a fan of theirs all along and if you start from Season 1 you can see it develop into something beautiful. I could definitely tell when they were apart how miserable Sam and Andy both were. One of my favorite scenes is when he tells Andy that Marlo is not her.
    I hope the baby is not Marlo’s and after reading some of the comments below I am starting to wonder if that was her ultrasound or not.
    I really like Bailey and I do think he was telling Traci he was interested in her. I think she would be a fool to not go after him but then I liked her with Steve too.
    I also think that Ted didn’t commit suicide. I think he was either murdered or was given the razor blade and given the idea probably by the commish. I too noticed that he had a surprise look on his face when the bomb went off as if he didn’t know it was there so that makes me think either he was trying to act surprised or genuinely didn’t set it to go off.

26. tinah Denis says:

This episode was awesome…. and I hope that Chloe is the one that’s pregnant not Marlow

27. Jessica says:

I thought it was Julie’s nephew not son. Maybe she has issues with the police. But I’m pretty sure she said nephew not son.

28. Rose says:

I love nick and Andy together! Their chemistry was awesome so been disappointed in this season! Hope they get back together next season

29. Lorraine says:

Love Sam and andi, please leave them alone and focus on another couple on the show for drama…let them finally be happy and enjoy love, please!

30. Jason says:

Yeah Duncan’s step dad totally did everything. Placed the bomb so that the evidence against him would be blown up if anyone tried to access it, and used the distraction to kill the bomber. I thought it was pretty obvious, and surprised they didn’t go ahead and wrap it up in the finale. But I guess they’ll use the story next season as Sam leads the investigation to uncover the corruption. Also gotta wonder how this will affect Oliver’s role as staff sergeant. They fired Frank for letting someone infiltrate the precinct, why wouldn’t they do the same to Oliver? Can’t wait for next season.

31. Dante says:

I too feel that Duncan’s stepdad killed the guy and made it look like a suicide.

32. Amanda says:

Great finale !!! I absolutely love Sam and Andy!!! Please keep them together! Their love is my fav thing about the show! Love Oliver too

33. Anthony says:

I so glad I got into this show! It’s full of cliffhangers and great storylines! Totally suapenseful. Love it!

34. Sunflower says:

This was an awesome season finale – but I don’t get the time frame between Marlo leaving and now back again with oh no maybe pregnant (?) – I don’t understand Traci and her attitude with Steve – she’s the one that messed up and he could have had her job if he didn’t step in for her – what kind of detective is she really not thinking that her telling her ex that there was going to be a raid – oh please Tracie I thought better of you. Please start season 6 early I can’t wait

35. Lauren says:

I loved the finale! But I swear to god if Marlo’s baby is Sam’s I will lose it on ABC!!!!

36. bre says:

Of course they had to throw in the baby cliffhanger with Marlo after Andy asked Sam if Marlo being back was going to ‘ruin their honeymoon phase’. Ugh!

37. @JoPorat says:

Honestly, if Rookie Blue keeps up with this roller coaster ride with Sam and Andy with yet another bump in the road the show will not be worth watching and the synopsis getting old. Just let them be happy for one season and then some; so great to watch on screen. The show needs to explore other characters deeper, start peeling off the onion. I’d love to see a pregnant Chloe as Dov will be besides himself. Chris needs to either get his stuff together or…. I hope there is love in the air for Nick he truly is such a lovable character and needs some true love himself. As for Gail, let her negativity turn to positive; her girlfriend is cute and I completely like the avenue of her wanting to adopt as it demonstrates what we don’t see of the hard ass Gail from the outside.

38. Sb2130 says:

QI Don’t care for Andy she is to confuse when it comes to men. She doesn’t know what she wants.. I hope it works out for Duncan- or else he will always feel like he has to prove himself.

• Sb2130 says:

Some of the Duncan failure were Andy’s fault she was covering her own mistakes- which she makes plenty of them.

• jbthomson2014 says:

Andy did make mistakes, being too easy on Duncan and leaving out his numerous screw ups cuz she wanted to give a chance. Others who made mistakes were Sam, Oliver and Duncan. Sam suggested to Andy to train the new rookie, Oliver agreed to let Andy to take on the training task that he knew she wasn’t ready for..
        Duncan has no skills to be a cop but….. his reaction to the slaying of Ted M.in the interview room to me was he has inside info about this step father’s involvement with the police coverup. He has no respect for him as I suspect he forced him to be a cop like him and he abused him both physically and emotionally.
        Duncan eventually will disclose his info to McNally onlyThe detectives, Sam and Tracy will uncover the truth about Santana and Jarvis. Oh, Marlo might even be in it too! Oliver has suspicious feelings also about them as well.
        Duncan will then be accepted into the 15th division cop circle.

39. dt says:

although marlo’s baby will be sams, i do not want to see them break up with andy. he can take responsibility for the baby but still be with andy.. its been too many break ups for them and they have matured a lot since their first time together… it will be very soap- opera and lose my interest if another hurdle comes in the way and break them up. its about time they overcome it together

• jbthomson2014 says:

IF Marlo is indeed pregnant,,it is SO wrong on many levels! The time line of the writers of the show is off big time. It makes no sense to me that she would ignore the phone messages left by Sam while she was being investigated by SIU because of her irresponsible actions with Kevin Ford and causing Sam to be shot! She was also irresponsible by not using protection! I would expect that she would be keen on telling Sam her “exciting news”. In everlasting episode, she told Andy that she was back at 15 Division to do a job as an analyst and had no intentions of returning to 15. If that was true, why would she lie again.
      The mystery woman Juliet only has been introduced by her 1st name and is definitely paranoid of cops, maybe she’s Ted McDonalds ex. Maybe Ted kept the sonogram photo in his boxes and boxes of personal papers. Maybe the writers are testing Dov about keeping Marlo’s secret from Andy since they’re close friends and he can’t forgive Chloe since she lied to him for months.
      I do not like the character of Marlo and can’t imagine that the writers would create such havoc to disappoint so many loyal fans of the McSwarek fan club.
      I’m hoping that what Tassie Cameron has said so many times in the past that Andy and Sam’s happy ending will come to be!

40. jbthomson2014 says:

Does anyone understand the background music in the finale “say something, I’m giving up on you ” Sam is comforting Andy in the bedroom and then the shocking scene with Marlo encouraging Dov to forgive Chloe cuz she plans on forgiving Sam?? I just don’t get it.

41. martins says:

@Team Do not mess with Sam and Andy

42. Jill says:

Why make Marlo pregnant, this is turning from drama to a soapie, such a spoil!!!!!

• jbthomson2014 says:

I totally agree with you. There are enough soapie’s in day time hours, not needed to the evening drama schedule!