Emmys

Emmy Poll 2014: What Should Win Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series?

emmys-late-night-show

The streak is over!

After 10 consecutive Emmy wins for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart finally got upended in 2013 by its Comedy Central cohort The Colbert Report (which took home the statuette on its eighth attempt).

RELATED Emmys: Who Should Win Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie?

While 2014 could certainly provide Emmy obsessives with another Stewart-Vs.-Colbert showdown, there are two other veterans in the race hoping to break on through to the podium: Jimmy Kimmel Live (in the race for the third straight year) and Real Time with Bill Maher (now on its 10th consecutive nomination).

RELATED Emmys 2014: Scandal, OITNB and Masters of Sex Stars, True Detective, Bob’s Burgers Among Early Winners

Rounding out the field? Newcomer The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (whose host previously competed in the category in 2011-2013 as part of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon) and Saturday Night Live (a winner in the race in 1976 and 1993).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine programs when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

And stay tuned to TVLine all weekend through Monday night for the best Emmy coverage on the Internet!

1. KP26 says:

I think you have to give it to Fallon. He has been dominating this past year!

• andrew says:

anything but SNL that show should have been gone a long time ago

• Tran says:

Hope SNL ends in a very bad way after 40 years ever since the passing of Don Pardo. They can’t go beyond more 40 years and the late night execs at NBC doesn’t have the guts or brains to do so.

2. Angela says:

Considering this is Colbert’s farewell year for his show, I could see the Emmys honoring him again on that basis alone. But it would be nice for him to snag another Emmy in and of itself, too.
    I love Stewart, too, though, and wouldn’t complain about him winning, either. I’ll just go with my usual “I’ll root for both of them and be happy if one of them wins” mindset.

3. Anon says:

David Letterman.

4. Anne says:

Well I have a four in six chance of being happy with who the EMMY goes to so I just hope it’s Fallon, Kimmel, Colbert, or Stewart. SNL was uneven with the writing but you only need one good episode to submit so I guess I could accept them winning. Just no to Maher because I hate his guests talking over each other (pet peeve).

5. Voted for Colbert, although my heart is always with Conan, the Susan Lucci of the late night category. I’m kinda hoping there’s some way for Garfunkel & Oates to win this next year. But I’m certain that they’re more likely to give the award to their own Emmy telecast.

6. Tran says:

Colbert Report will win. Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon should win.

7. webly3 says:

Colbert and Stewart are great, but they have already been recognized. It’d be really great to see Jimmy Fallon get recognized for more than just Guest Acting on SNL. He always does such a great job on his show whether it’s Late Night or now Tonight Show. I hope he finally gets recognized for it this year. SNL/Bill Maher don’t deserve it this year. Kimmel is meh.

8. Victoria says:

I hope Fallon wins!

9. Johnny Roger says:

WOW! I don’t watch ANY of them. Used to watch Kimmel once in a while.

10. Dante says:

Jimmy all the way! Long overdue! Tired of Colbert & Stewart winning!

11. JR says:

Glee should have been nominated and won hands down! Every episode, they gave viewers exceptional production numbers.

12. Matthew Weber says:

Next year it’ll be Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

13. cltaylor12 says:

The Colbert Report because the bands this year have been better than Fallon. Plus, this is the last season of The Colbert Report, Fallon can have it next year.

14. Fido says:

Has the John Oliver “Last Week Tonight” show not been on long enough to be nominated ?

15. JessicaR says:

I’ve watched every show that’s been nominated before, but I make sure I watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report every night. These two shows are just above and beyond the rest of them comedy writing wise, in my opinion. I would give it to Colbert though, not because his show is ending, but because I find him more consistent on a night to night basis.

Obviously I am in the minority here based on the poll votes, but I don’t find Jimmy Fallon as funny as I used too. I loved him on SNL and even in the beginning of The Tonight Show, but lately I find his opening monologue jokes lame and unfunny.

• Angela says:

On the note of late night shows, I think it’s a shame that Craig Ferguson never got an Emmy for his show. If I recall rightly, he was only ever nominated once? Have to double check that. Even so, he should’ve gotten an award at some point, too. Or at least a few more nominations.

16. Faye says:

I used to watch Fallon on Late Night but don’t find the Tonight Show as good and now only watch when specific guests are on. Colbert is must watch tv for me and would happily give the award to him.

17. RJ says:

Jimmy Fallon. He’s no 1. this year, so he should win.