The Strain Renewed for Season 2 by FX

the-strain-season-2-renewal-fx

Apparently, a little Strain-ing is good for the bottom line.

FX has renewed its vampire-virus thriller The Strain, from executive producers Guillermo del Toro and Carlton Cuse, for a 13-episode second season that will debut in summer 2015.

RELATED Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The Strain, FX’s first original Sunday-night series, drew 12.7 million total viewers for its premiere, according to a network release.

“It is thrilling when you have a show that is a creative and commercial hit, which is a rare accomplishment in this increasingly crowded marketplace,” noted John Landgraf, CEO, FX Networks and FX Productions, in making the announement. “We look forward having [The Strain] on FX for as long as Carlton, Guillermo and Chuck Hogan need to tell this epic tale.”

RELATED The Strain Producers Talk Corey Stoll’s Wig, Changes From del Toro’s Novels

Back in July — and prior to the series premiere — Cuse told TVLine he envisioned Season 1 of The Strain following the books’ initial installment, and that all told, “The plan is that the show will run somewhere between three and five seasons.”

As with Cuse’s best-known series, Lost, “We’re writing to an endpoint,” he added, “following the path as established in the novels, but obviously there’s a lot that is going to be added. The television show is its own experience. The show and the book can each be separately enjoyed.”

Excited about this renewal news? Sound off in the comments!

1. Tran says:

Wonder if Tyrant is going to get renewed for a second season by FX.

• Bl says:

I like Tyrant but it looks really, really, really expensive. Combined with all of the geopolitical challanges that they’ve experienced, I would not be surprised is this got cut. Disappointed but not shocked.

2. Kris says:

I love this show. Not good to watch by yourself though.

3. That’s good, the ratings are low if compare them with other networks, but FX’s has a hit on it’s hands, and while the first 6 episodes have been kinda slow, the story that is developing it’s going to be freaking good!

4. Lyn12 says:

Kind of surprised at this, since the every other lame show in the world seems to get more media buzz than this one. I enjoy watching it with my son, who’s a horror show buff … even though we spend a lot of time lamenting about the dialogue and plot holes. Still, it’s good, gory fun.

5. IMHO says:

Love it when the network renews a show while episodes are still airing. Hate it when they make you wait for months to find out if your favorite show has been axed.
    I like that The Strain has made Vampires creepy and really fugly again.
    I don’t want to be spoilery but the whole genital thing was totally off the wall.

• Dean says:

I agree with you bro. Vampires on the strain are now portrayed as beings meant to be feared, not establish intimate relationships with.

6. Jake says:

What about the bridge?

7. Annie says:

I am utterly floored by this. What a waste of airspace.

8. Andrew says:

I’ve enjoyed the show so far, but hope that the plot starts building some momentum from here on out.

9. A Fan says:

Yea! Even with Corey Stoll’s wig!

10. Anonymous says:

This is an awesome show. So aappy they are renewing it.

11. fernando933 says:

Yay now I want Tyrant season 2

12. Diz says:

I guess I can start watching now. I have them all piled up on the DVR.

13. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

GOOD, Now waiting for Tyrant to get a season 2!

14. CK says:

I’m just completely on the fence about this show and I love the horror genre. It just feels like it doesn’t work, but I have the compulsion to keep watching it in the hopes that it will get better. There’s always just something off with the tone,pacing, editing, acting, and dialogue that puts me off and I’ve yet to find a character whose name I can even bother to remember. I don’t know.

15. Rich Abey says:

The more the merrier..or should I say grosser? Probably the best summer show in years, The Strain surely livened & energized up my boring summer.

16. amandria says:

I thought Extant had an excellent beginning I was hooked but now it wanes, luckily I decided to tape a show of the strain but I didn’t have high expectations. It just gets more interesting and more intense with each show. My favorite new show for sure I love it. I do watch American Horror story, and walking dead. This has the same intensity and I love it.

17. amandria says:

The bridge is another smart, intense characters I love to watch. So for summer thank goodness for the strain and the bridge

18. Mikael says:

Good news! I’m really loving the Strain! It’s really getting going now, after an AMAZING first episode and then some slow ones. I get that they were for character-building and showing the effects of the virus, but still, some parts were a little TOO slow.

19. grandmal006 says:

The Strain renewed! Great!

20. Lee Densmore says:

I like this story because it is a different and more realistic telling of the vampire style story. The end of the season really opens up the possibility of multiple stories and timeline flashbacks. I haven’t read the book so I can’t compare the tv series with it other. But I am looking forward to it returning and hopefully with a nice special FX budget!

21. Jennifer says:

I am addicted to the show, wish they had more episodes.