True Blood Recap: Beginning of the End

True Blood Recap

Sunday’s True Blood set the stage for an epic series finale stand-off, and as the great Pamela Swynford De Beaufort once said, “all roads lead to f—ing Sookie.”

RELATED True Blood Series Finale Spoilers: Sookie Faces Life ‘Without Bill,’ New Death Mystery Emerges and More

Picking up where last week’s episode left off — with Bill, noble as always, refusing to drink the Hep-V cure — Jessica asked her maker to release her. It was expectedly gut-wrenching, much like when Pam and Eric did the same dance back in Season 5, and certainly did nothing to make Bill’s future appear more hopeful.

Furious with Bill for putting Sookie through so much pain (d’aww!), Eric paid his old friend a visit, demanding he reconsider and drink the cure. Bill went on an insane — albeit super accurate — rant about how she’s light and they’re dark and he “almost raped her,” but not once did he offer an actual reason for not taking the cure.

After some much-needed self-reflection, Bill decided to pay Sookie a visit — but it might be too little too late, as the Yakuza are in the process of squeezing Sookie’s address out of Eric. With Pam at death’s door, courtesy of Mr. Gus’ handy stake trap, will he crack and send the Yakuza to interrupt Sookie and Bill’s reunion?

This… can’t end well.

‘THIS IS A GOODBYE’ | Ladies and gentlemen, Sam Merlotte might have just made the smartest decision in True Blood history. Packing up and moving to Chicago with Nicole was the right thing to do, and given his long history with Sookie, I’m not the least bit surprised he wasn’t able to say goodbye to her face. Sam may have been a peripheral character for the past few seasons, but if you’re a long-time Truebie, there’s no way you didn’t get all misty-eyed while Sookie read that letter. And for fans of Charlaine Harris’ novels, don’t even tell me you didn’t appreciate Sam’s “I love you.” (Color me curious, though: Sam supposedly makes a major “choice” on next Sunday’s series finale, and I have no idea what that could possibly be. A sudden return to Bon Temps, perhaps? A complicated labor during which he has to decide whether to save Nicole or the baby? … Sorry, that just took a sharp turn onto Morbid Avenue.)

True Blood RecapSQUARE DANCE | The Hoyt-Brigette-Jason-Jessica situation took an interesting turn this week, as Jessica went rogue and broke the No. 1 rule of glamouring someone: Don’t tell them everything you made them forget! After reminding Hoyt why he really ended up in Alaska — including that she cheated on him with Jason, which inspired a well-deserved punch in the money-maker — Jessica took her ex to bed for an appropriately over-the-top sex scene, complete with swelling music and a boisterous *ahem* climax.

Meanwhile, Jason and Brigette spent the night together without actually “spending the night together.” That’s right, folks, Jason finally made a non-physical connection with a real-live woman. (Side note: I loved when Jason told Brigette they weren’t going to have sex, and she responded with, “I just broke up with my boyfriend. Why would you even think I was going to have sex with you?” Sometimes it takes an outsider to point out how twisted the residents of Bon Temps truly are.)

True Blood RecapBACK IN BUSINESS | Keith must be one hell of a dancer, because I’ve never seen Arlene in brighter spirits. Not only did she officially re-open Bellefleur’s this week, but she invited everyone over for a party — which coincidentally ended up being only the named characters we’ve been watching all season.

Jessica even made amends with James, apologizing for not taking more of an interest in him. (But let’s be real for a second; she has nothing to apologize for after he had sex with Lafayette in the back of their car. Like, absolutely nothing.)

“AAAAT LAAAAST” | Of course, my favorite part about this episode (and potentially this season) was the long-awaited sex scene between Eric and the ever-thirsty Ginger. Finally immune to Hep-V, Eric was free to fulfill Ginger’s series-long wish of a romp with the vampire viking god. And while Eric and Ginger’s rendezvous was a major no-no from an HR standpoint — not only is he her boss, but they did it at work — it was a much needed break from the weight of this penultimate hour. It was also surprisingly short-lived; after all that build-up, I think she got about seven or eight thrusts before Ginger literally orgasmed herself unconscious. Did it go exactly as I anticipated? No. But was it an incredible experience only Ginger could provide? Hell yes.

OK, your turn to talk: Was Ginger and Eric’s “encounter” everything you hoped it would be? Could Pam really be a goner? And does Bill still have time to change his mind? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the episode below.

1. christine says:

This episode didnt suck. Nice. The Erik and Ginger part was weak but overall…..

• sororsalsa says:

It really was…I was hoping that Erik would just glamour Ginger and tell her that they did it.

• dottie says:

i almoust forgot about that scene. it was so freakin quick. all i know is i just hope that the last episode be a two hour.

• Marissa Magdalena says:

I think Ginger has waited so, so, so very, very long for it she just got off like a man having a premature ejaculation!!!!

• Teri says:

I don’t think he got his pants down. She is a moron and I have always hated her

• Zayne says:

Strongly disagree. This whole season has been a waste of time. Bill not taking the cure was moronic. He did it for, you know, reasons….and stuff. Bill was always narcissistic but his reasoning is just the epitome of how awful a character he is.
      They’re doing what HIMYM did, granted over the course of a season instead of over a 1 hour finale. They’re just resetting people back to the beginning. Hoyt and Jessica, who used to be my favorite part of the show, got ruined a couple seasons ago and having them back together didn’t feel good at all. Jessica apologizing to James and Lafayette was dumb. You did someone in the back of her car. Why is she apologizing to you?
      I’m just so tired of this show. I haven’t hate watched a show like this since the second half of Under the Dome Season 1. I just want it to end so I can be done with it.

• Ursula says:

you sound bitter..why do you even bother to watch sound like your another book reader looking for a duplication of the “sookie” books

• Tina says:

I really like how it has all come full circle. Pretty much everyone has found happiness, except Bill and sookie and I don’t expect Bill to die. They will end up together. I just don’t understand why you would continue to watch a show you hate? it’s weird. Save yourself the time and us the hassle of reading your whinging.

• Hbomb says:

I am watching it out of a misguided sense of loyalty (to books and show) more than anything. Every week, I’m like, “hmmm, how disappointing”.

Can you blame me? After Orphan Black and Game of Thrones, this is just . . .tepid.

2. Jimmy says:

I thought this was an utter waste of an episode. All that yammering. The only interesting part was in the last 5 minutes. I expected so much more from this season. Something a bit more epic, not a 9-episode meandering mish-mash.

3. S says:

So, that is it for Sam then? it sucks as much as Tara’s ending. I liked all the Jason, Hoyt, Jessica, and Brigette stuff. Pam and Eric were great of course and the Ginger scene was funny. I’m really going to miss seeing sexy Eric but other than that TB has been a let down SL wise.

4. Lauren says:

For me, the only reason to watch next week is to see what happens to Eric and Pam. And hopefully it is them flying off into the moonlight far away from Bon Temps.

5. Wtactualf says:

99% of that episode was so boring, but I’m glad Bill finally admitted to being an azzhole to Sookie… Lying to her and nearly raping her. He doesn’t love her. Can’t wait til he dies.

6. Nina says:

For a penultimate episode… Wow. This qas just bad.

7. dancmh says:

If you listen closely as Eric walks away, you can hear Ginger snoring. It kind of makes the whole scene.

8. Alrisha says:

Worst season ever. This show is supposed to end next week and this episode was boring and slow. Only characters really interesting are Eric and Pam. Sookie su.cks. I’m so happy is finally going to end. The writers destroyed this show for the last 3 or 4 seasons.

9. L says:

I’m surprised that they didnt have any real “big bad” to deal with this season… after the opening episodes with the Hep-V vampires, the whole thing has been just weird… just a bunch of resolutions for different characters, the Tara thing went on way too long as did Bill’s flashbacks and anything with the other peripheral characters… Would have preferred if they had some big foe that they all had to band together to fight one last time… and these silly yakuza guys just dont cut it.

10. Jenny says:

For the second to last episode to be this, what it was.. Ugh so disappointed. I did love the Jessica Hoyt stuff but my god, what exactly was accomplished here? Where’s the over the top drama? The cliffhanger that just gets us all excited for the SERIES finale… Come on now.

And I hate what they’re doing to Eric…. He’s a big understanding softie this season .. I miss badass Eric effing Northman back.

11. sara says:

why did the yakuza even bother asking eric where sookie lived? they clearly have access to a lot of resources and could have found her address pretty easily and were able to find sarah a little while back

• AnnieM says:

Excellent point!

• Ursula says:

OMG are you people serious its a show it was for the viewer to know they were going for her..how would we know if they went looking her up etc its only a small window of time with one episode
      left do we really have to watch them use their GI JOE skills smh

12. Ian says:

People should try turning the sound off and skipping through the episodes. It’s what I’ve been doing every week and I get through each one in about 2 minutes without any of the frustration about how bad the show’s become, lol.

Jessica and Hoyt were perfect. And the sex scene was a good pay-off. The only thing I’m annoyed about is that they would bring Hoyt back for Jessica’s perfect ending, while other characters have gotten the worst endings, like Sam and Tara. It’s not fair.

I was terrified of Eric and Ginger’s sex scene being anything graphic, but it wasn’t. It was just hilarious, which I appreciated.

13. Faerie_Queene3 says:

The Ginger-Eric sex scene was priceless. Don’t know which was funniest: Ginger’s mad enthusiasm or Eric’s shocked face throughout it all. Happy Hoyt & Jessica found each other again. Hoped that Sookie would end up with Eric but the ‘will it be true love or the true death’ promo for the next week episode suggest that won’t be happening. Bummer!

14. Yanez says:

Are the Yakuza vampires? I’m really confused about why they have so much power over the 1000 year old Eric Northman.

• Jimmy says:

Well, they do have several guns filled with wood bullets that could take him down and they had a big wooden spike over Pam; however, I see you point. The old Eric wouldn’t have put up with this crap.

15. morgaine says:

This episode was heart wrenching. Except I hate Bridgette and jasons fake selves… who really cares about this brand new characters melodrama. NO ONE. Bill and sookies love, erics love for pam and sooki and ginger.. pam showing jessica kindness with a hug (but staying true to her character by threatening her if she stains her coat) was a great little scene. Arlene proved to be a great friend to sook.The music was awesome at the end and during erix and gingers love scene. Who cares about bridgette. I am Gunna miss this witty clever show so much!!!:( dont want it to end!!! :*(

16. peggy says:

love this show and actors. hate to see it end

17. J says:

Can Bill just go ahead and die already? For the love of all that is unholy…

18. Mark says:

Why didn’t Eric just kill all the Yakuza thugs that were threatening Pam? He’s much stronger and faster.

19. Truefan says:

The scenes with Pam were priceless. She has the best lines. Just wish there could be a series with Pam and Eric as the main characters. Am puzzled as to what’s happening with Sara Newland . I liked having Hoyt and Jessica together, but why would she tell Hoyt all the down and dirty details of their relationship? That’s just stabbing him in the back,again. Also thought Hoyt and Jessica’s big love scene was spoiled by the constant talking and flashback to Jason.Eric and Ginger’s scenes were hilarious and fun. One of the highlights of this show. Sookie ending up with Eric? Please God, No! Let her end up alone. After 7 years of her petulance, she deserves it.

20. Oscar S says:

Most likely Bill will die in the finale. The episode is title “Thank You” most likely after the song by Dido of you her the lyrics to the song you’ll get why Bill will meet the True Death, this also most likely reflects what happens in the books.

• Ash says:

We reading the same books here? Bill gets silver poisoning in book 9 when the evil water fairy bites him with her silver tipped teeth. Almost dies but sookie saves him by bringing his makers other “child” to bills to feed him her blood. End of the book series he was with Eric’s “sister” for a while then becomes king of Louisiana…

21. Cowgirl Ginger says:

Seriously crushing on Eric Northman for seven long years, my heart skipped a beat or two tonight just hearing him tell Ginger they would finally %@&$. LOVED hearing him say my name!

22. If I could have picked one thing to happen in True Blood’s final season, it would have been to have Jessica and Hoyt back together. They’re so perfect together, I mean the man fell in love at first sight with the same girl twice, and Jess needs Hoyt, he’s her tether to her humanity. I almost don’t care what else happens because I got what I wanted.

• Kelly k says:

Don’t forget Jessica had sex with Jason and his girlfriend nearly killed everyone, why would you want Hoyt to have his leftovers and I mean leftovers that is sad for Hoyt..

• Mikael says:

Exactly! Jessica was with James, and immediately had revenge sex with Jason after catching James & Lafayette together, then she tells Jason that their relationship was never complicated and they have a moment like they’re going to end up together, and then suddenly Hoyt’s back and Jessica wants him back. The writers are just awful at this.

23. raven64 says:

Worst penultimate ep ever! I was bored! I feel True Blood is about to join Lost and Dexter in series finale failures!

24. pati says:

Another episode that was so bad. This has been the worst season. In the past there were a few episodes that were bad but this season is unbearable.Good thing there is only one more episode left. It’s disappointing I used to love the show and I love the characters. Tara’s story line was terrible. and Last night why are we spending so much time on this Jessica/Hoyt Jason and Hoyt’s girlfriend story line. Jessica is so selfish, she already let him go now she wants him back. Flip flopper. The only good thing was Ginger and Eric, that scene was hilarious. other than that it was a failure.

25. Hmm says:

This show sucks so hard.

26. Jake says:

Personally, I stayed on to watch some of my favorites. I love Jessica actually Deborah, she is amazing and I have loved how she has been able to grow up. Sad about Tara, I loved her as she was the main source that kept Sookie grounded and when they combined her with Pam, I was hooked. Pam is incredible and I will miss her. I have one question, does Sookie work anymore, I mean I know Merlots became Belfuers, but seriously…she must have a nice nest egg.

27. Izzie says:

Am maybe thinking Nicole dies in labour, Sam keeps the baby and returns to Bon Temps where it flashforwards to him and Sookie raising the kid together.

• zyggie says:

I hope not. Hope Sam leaves for good to start a new life somewhere else. He does NOT need to return & be with Sookie. Bil needs to take the cure or something happens in the end and he and Sookie stay together. What’s going to happen to Sarah Newlin???

• CinCin says:

Ginger having realized her fantasy runs off in search of her next one. Sarah becomes the new Ginger and lusts after Eric! lol

28. are you paid to seem excited about this show? So over it.

29. Maryann says:

I absolutely love this season with all its twists and turns and surprises! I just find it really hard to believe that almost no one else seems to be enjoying it. I can hardly wait from one week to the next! But I have no preconceived notions as to what should happen. Maybe that is part of the key to enjoying this final conclusion to the True Blood saga.

• Jake says:

I think people have a hard time separating the books from the show. I agree Maryann, I think coming in with no preconceived notions and just enjoying it for what it is, is the way to go. I mean seriously, it’s a fantasy show about Werewolves, Vampires and Fairies….

• zyggie says:

I enjoyed the season as well. Did not like the ending for Tara but, after all her hardships we got a chance to see what really happened in her Mom’s life to make her the way she was and the resolution between them was good. Did not want Tara to die. I would like for Eric to end up with Sookie and leave Bon Temp and see the world. Pam is going to make Sarah Newlin her partner in crime and they’ll be together. Loved the ending for Hoyt and Jessica they belong together. Jason got on my last nerve. He is a sex addict and to simply be with someone without that is so new to him he’ll end up with Hoyts ex girlfriend. That Jason segment was a waste to me. Ginger and Eric…oh no…that was a joke and Eric was surprised at that outcome. All in all, i enjoyed the way they are wrapping up the show. I have all seasons and will re-watch forever. True Blood FAN!!!!

• Ronnie says:

I agree, as well. I’ve really enjoyed and I read some of the books. I find something to laugh at and/or gasp at in each episode.

• Karin says:

I love this season as well. As do many of my friends. Ignore bitter posts. :)

30. DW says:

Ummm Pam is so not dead – she was in the coming attraction scenes….

31. DW says:

Pam is so not dead – she was in the coming attractions for next week’s final episode.

32. Barb says:

I thought the Erik/Ginger scene was hysterical! The look on his face was priceless. I really enjoyed this episode and hate to see True Blood come to an end.

33. CountryQueen says:

I was practically rolling on the floor with laughter over Ginger finally getting what she has always wanted, and then WHAM! I am freaking out that Pam is going to die. Well played True Blood, well played.

34. Et al says:

Since the writers clearly spent no time on the episodes, the least they could do is write a letter of apology to the fans.

35. LaBete says:

I actually liked this episode because it concentrated on the characters I’m interested in. I hope the finale just focuses on Eric, Pam, Sookie, Bill, Sarah, and killing off the Yakuza/Mr Gus Jr guys.

I’ve been wondering how the writers were going to “save” Bill, and now I think that he will take the cure to save Sookie from the Yakuza. I also had the dark thought that Eric is setting the whole Sookie-in-danger situation up for Bill’s own good, to make Bill realize he wants to live . I hope we don’t end up with the predictable Yakuza-make-Eric-choose-between-Pam-or-Sookie replay of the French flashback from earlier in the season. Or, if we do, I hope there is a fun twist. I want a good ending for everyone.

The Eric/Ginger scene was so awkward and funny! I kept thinking that they are now going to get a lot more money for The Throne when they are auction it off.

36. shari grand says:

I am so sad to see True Blood end I think and hope Bill will change his mind :-)

• charles says:

If Sookie gets killed then Bill can take the cure. What will probably happen is Sookie will be killed and Bill or Eric will feed her their blood and then turn her into a Vampire, like Warlow.

37. sarah says:

I’m seeing a lot of negativity about this season. I think it’s one of the best seasons since the beginning. A lot of heartbreak, and two of my favorite characters are dead, but it’s playing out nicely. And whoever the author of this article is didn’t pay very much attention to the episode: Bill did give a reason why he’s refusing the cure, he wants Sookie to be free from him and his “darkness”, he knows that as long as he’s around she’ll always go to him (and in turn he’ll always end up hurting her). And geez, it’s been showing how much he misses his family, I would think that’d be reason enough.

And dang-it, Pam better not be a goner…

38. amy says:

I’m in the camp that is really glad this show is coming to an end. This season has been really disappointing.

That being said – are they going to address how to cure the human carriers of Hep V? Or is that too much to hope for with only 1 episode left?

39. David G says:

I just want thank to good Lord that there is only 1 episode left of this show. I watched the first few seasons and was really into it but then I missed a couple of seasons due to moving around (I’m in the air force) and got caught up on the marathon of the prior season and started to watch this one and with every episode, I get more & more upset at how pointless this show seems to be. I can’t understand what Bill is thinking. I can’t stand Sookie. Tara died off camera. And there seems to be a party of some sorts every other week. WTF! Only decent part was Alcide dying and that’s about it. Good ridance, IMO

• charles says:

This must be one of the best shows ever made. Fans watch the show, and even the people that hate True Blood, tune in and watch the show. Wow… They must be doing something right when it’s so addicting of a show that once you see an episode you can’t stop watching no matter how much you hate it…

• Tom says:

People vested so much time into it, they are just watching till the end. Doesn’t mean the show is good. Dexter was the same way. No one watches all the seasons to not watch the last one.

40. GeeGee says:

I actually liked this episode…probably the best one out of a very slow season. I’m (surprisingly) ok with Bill dying. I think he’s right, Sookie will never move on as long as he is “alive.” Him dying fits in with all the flashbacks this season. The hands down best scene was Ginger and Eric. Eric’s expression was priceless LOL. And you can’t help to love that space cadet Ginger. That made it worth me sticking out this season. I’ve always loved Hoyt and hated that he got sent to Alaska. Not sure how I feel that he is back with Jessica…she was always confused about who she wanted but I get their chemistry. Pam has some of the best lines…loved when she said something about Nume’s c*nt lips when she was doing her hair LOL. Jason and the new girl, who cares. And like someone said, why introduce this new character so late in the season? I don’t think Sam is really gone…at least I hope not. I have no idea how this is going to end but I’m super excited about the finale. Bring it on True Blood!!!!

41. Brigid says:

Wow, I can’t believe that people hate this season, it’s the best since season 3. Why would you continue to watch a show that you hate? Why put yourself through such a tizzy? To constanly complain every week on this site just makes you a glutton for punishment and all that negativity is just so sad. Whatever, I’m digging it and can’t wait to see how it ends.

• Fran says:

I think most people figure they’ve stuck it out this long and they might as well see it all the way through. I thought seasons 5 and 6 were absolutely terrible but I hoped the final season would redeem it for me. It has in a way, but I still don’t think its anywhere as good as the first few seasons. The writing is still all over the place and I dont like how they’ve made some characters completely unlikeable (Sookie being the worst for me). That’s just my opinion. In glad you’re enjoying it though!

42. Vanessa says:

I’ve always been team sookie and bill. I am Hopeing that bill changes his mind. The sex scene with ginger was a bit lame, but hilarious. Pam can’t die. She’s badass!

43. Marissa Magdalena says:

Ya’ll know what the 1st thing every summer week I’m gonna miss the most besides for the show is the intro song and opening video and how much this show has contributed to my music library. I love Sookie’s (Gram’s) house, through and through, miss Gram and the sweet tea and all things romantically, gothically southern from a northern girls point of view. Yes they went off on crazy tangents and the writing could have been much better and to the point but I will still miss my summer indulgence of TRUE BLOOD

44. Melissa says:

I agree with you as well Maryann, I’ve enjoyed this season and I don’t get why so many people are complaining about it yet they still watch it each week. I hope Bill doesnt die and him and Sookie do end up together. No matter what’s happened that’d her true love and if she ends up with anyone it will be Bill. I hate that there’s only one episode left but I’m hoping for a happy ending :)

45. K says:

This season has been fantastic. I know some people have been disappointed however it has provided ever a twist at ever turn. More reasons that it will be missed.

46. Kelly k says:

I think this season was awful, just last week Jessica nearly caused Andy’s daughter to get get kill…because she had sex with Jaon and now she want Hoyt back, that just crazy I was very disappointed with this episode. Man I can’t believed I watch all this time for that.. and Sookie just can’t seem to keep her legs closed..man

47. Arya says:

My driving force to watch this season was the hope sookie would end up with eric, but it’s pretty evident it won’t be him. Eric’s too good for her anyways I guess. But the peek this season was probably episode 4, when they took back fangtasia. What a bummer for a closing season.

48. jmt says:

What is the song in the background when Eric and ginger had sex?