TVLine Mixtape Throwback Edition: Your Favorite Songs from Charmed, Greek, BSG, Chuck, Fringe and More

mixtape_charmed_dw

What we’re gonna do is go back — waaay back — for this week’s TVLine Mixtape.

What follows are some excellent songs from TV episodes past, complete with artist and album information in case you want to add them to your permanent collection.

We chose tunes that stuck in our memories, but we know you’ve got favorites, too. So check out our TVLine Mixtape playlist — Throwback Edition — and then hit the comments with your favorite TV jams from yesteryear! And remember: You can always submit questions or suggestions re: TV music on Twitter @NiveaSerrao

SERIES AND EPISODE | Greek, “Friday Night Frights” Mixtape_Greek_DW
TITLE | “Making a Memory”
ARTIST | Plain White Ts
ALBUM | Every Second Counts (2007)
WHY IT ROCKED | As the episode deftly deconstructs classic horror movie tropes into three blackout-inspired storylines, Greek reaffirms its underrated brilliance, while also reminding us that the Plain White T’s were Kappa Taus. (Go KT!)

SERIES AND EPISODE
| Chuck, “Chuck Versus the Colonel” Mixtape_Chuck_DW
TITLE | “Creature Fear”
ARTIST | Bon Iver
ALBUM | For Emma, Forever Ago (2008)
WHY IT ROCKED Who could forget the song that plays the first time Chuck and Sarah kiss without it being a required for a mission — or because they thought they were going to die? As the song begins to swell,  the couple finally abandons all restraint , giving themselves — and the audience — what they’ve wanted for so long.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Smallville, “Run” Mixtape_Smallville_DW
TITLE | “Feels Like Today”
ARTIST | Rascal Flatts
ALBUM | Feels Like Today (2004)
WHY IT ROCKED | While The CW’s Flash gets ready to debut this fall, it’s easy to forget that “Bart Allen” appeared on Smallville, first meeting Clark Kent long before he’d begin donning a red cape.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Charmed, “Sam I Am” Mixtape_Charmed_DW
TITLE | “Do You Realize”
ARTIST | Flaming Lips
ALBUM | Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)
WHY IT ROCKED | Piper discovers her unborn child can use magic, Paige gets her first charge as a whitelighter and meets her biological father and Cole finally gets the hint that he and Phoebe aren’t getting back together. It’s a big episode for the sisters, but it’s an even bigger night for P3 as Phoebe’s favorite “crew” performs.

SERIES AND EPISODE
| Fringe, “Black Blotter” Mixtape_Fringe_DW
TITLE | “The Happy Wanderer”
ARTIST | Frank Weir
ALBUM | Driving Down Memory Lane (2010)
WHY IT ROCKED Weir’s marching song not only captures Walter’s often dreamy disposition when on drugs and off, it also fits in perfectly with the feel of his Monty Python-inspired hallucination, offering us a glimpse into what goes on in the older Bishop’s mind.

SERIES AND EPISODE
| The O.C., “The Cliffhanger” Mixtape_TheOC_DW
TITLE | “For the Widows In Paradise, For the Fatherless In Ypsilanti”
ARTIST | Sufjan Stevens
ALBUM | Greetings From Michigan – The Great Lake State (2003)
WHY IT ROCKED As the soft strains of Sufjan’s banjo play over Johnny’s beachside funeral, it serves as a sad reminder that despite everything Ryan and Marissa did, they were unable to save their friend.

SERIES AND EPISODE
| The Middleman, “The Ectoplasmic Panhellenic Investigation” Mixtape_MiddleMan_DW
TITLE | “Sweetest Tooth”
ARTIST | Camphor
ALBUM | Drawn to Dust (2008)
WHY IT ROCKED As Tyler describes his quest to meet his “soulmate,” Wendy takes Lacey’s advice and goes after her man, filling in some of the missing details and making it quite evident that the mystery girl he was looking for was her all along.

SERIES AND EPISODEBattlestar Galactica, “Crossroads, Part II” Mixtape_Battlestar_DW
TITLE | “All Along the Watchtower” (Jimi Hendrix Cover)
ARTIST | BT4
ALBUM | Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Official Soundtrack  (2007)
WHY IT ROCKED | Starbuck appears beside Apollo in her viper and reassures him that not only is she alive but that she knows where Earth is. “There’s too much confusion” says the song, perfectly expressing our emotions in the moment as we collectively exclaimed “What the frak?!”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: TVLine Mixtape

1. Roger says:

Bear McCreary’s “All Along the Watchtower” FTW!

2. spindae2 says:

Charmed and The OC always had soooo great songs! Loved both shows!

3. Babybop says:

The Middleman! I miss that show!And Greek is still a favorite of mine. Ah, how ABC Family has changed…

4. Dean says:

I always think of Katee Sackhoff every time I hear ‘All Along the Watchtower’ the explanation here describes it perfectly.

5. Steven says:

Love that you included Charmed in this list, but I still think their best musical moment was Courage by Sarah Polley playing at the end of Long Live the Queen. Cole should have stayed dead that time.

6. Aris says:

I am a die-hard Smallville fan and it had always great songs! But some songs were so in perfect sync withe the scenes/situation that i have a hard time NOT to picture it when I listen to the respective song.
    Off the top of my head: “Where I Stood” by Missy Higgins and “Pioneer of the Falls” by Interpol in Season 7’s “Cure” and “Persona” respectively, “Don’t Take Your Love Away” by VAST was an unforgettable moment in Season 8’s “Bride” and I’m sorry but I can’t get over of how fitting the theme song “Save Me” by Remy Zero is. I was always pumped for the rest of the episode because of how energetic the opening credits were.

• Emily says:

Yes to this! “Don’t Take Your Love Away” by VAST is my #1 music moment from Smallville. I also loved “One More Day” by VAST in “Lazarus” and “Alas We Aspire” by Amy Stroup in “Fortune”.

• michael says:

Neah,the best song from Smallville was in season 6.when AAR performed at Lex’s costume party (AAR-It ends tonight).after all this years i still love that song.but yeah.Smallville’s soundrack was awesome

7. Marco says:

Ugh, season 5 Charmed. Why remember the second-worst season (the worst being season 6), where Phoebe became an unsufferable wench with no redeeming qualities whatsoever?

• Steven says:

I do have to agree with this. Though I think season 8 is actually the worst.

• Marco says:

8 was truly awful, but at least I can laugh at it. No such luck with season 6.

• Jake says:

The problem that Charmed had was they got to involved in the girls’ personal relationships instead of focusing on them fighting demons etc. When Charmed started that was the main focus and when you lose that focus and switch direction, it becomes weird.

8. Shouldn’t All along the Watchtower be listed as a Bob Dylan cover? I have heard, i think, that Dylan changed the way he played it after hearing Hendrix play it, but I think it’s still technically Dylan’s song.

Also, for my money, the best Chuck music moment (and I loved the soundtrack choices of that show) was when Chuck selected Nina Simone’s Feeling Good as her song.

9. Katie says:

Michael Ausiello changed my loife in the spring of 2009 when, immediately following the season 2 finale of Gossip Girl, he tweeted the name of the song that closed out the episode – Seasons of Love by Shiny Toy Guns. Still a favorite.

10. Guest says:

4 cylons, one heck of an identity crisis and the most amazing song ever: All Along the Watch Tower, BSG!

11. Mike (@Boofofmichaeld) says:

Oh how I miss BSG!

12. Maggie says:

These are awesome! My favorite show for music, though, is One Tree Hill! Talk about some quality songs omg

13. Mark Seeley says:

Missing too many good ones.
    (And All Along the Watchtower is technically a Bob Dylan cover, not Hendrix)

Need to add:

Goodbye to You – Michelle Branch (BtVS)
    The Man Comes Around – Johnny Cash (TtSCC)
    In the Air Tonight – Phil Collins (Miami Vice)
    The Way You Look Tonight – James Darren (ST:DS9)
    LA Song – Christian Kane (Angel)
    Samson & Delilah – Shirley Manson (TtSCC)
    Prayer of Saint Francis – Sarah McLachlan (BtVS)
    A Place Called Home – Kim Richey (Angel)

Just to name a few.

14. scott21 says:

Bring back charmed with the original castmembers :(

15. Adam says:

They’ve changed so much of the good music moments in Charmed on Netfilx and iTunes, its so sad to watch them like that when they’ve replaced most of the good songs with generic replacements. (it’s not just the theme song either)

16. shuayb says:

Yip Charmed had the best songs….
    Does anyone know the title of the piano song that played towards the end of the season 5 finale. After Leo ‘heals’ Piper and they show San Francisco???

17. Brigid says:

I tried listening to all of these songs and the only one I didn’t turn off immediately from the horror was “All Along the Watchtower” which was amazing when it aired on the most excellent BSG.

18. TQI says:

Over the years, the technology has advanced and PCB Manufacturers today use superior technology
    for Printed Circuit Boards’ production. The epoxy
    resin prepreg is used to laminate dielectric insulating layers.
    Imagine how it feels when all of you in the same state wear
    the Real Madrid football kit to represent your love and support for the
    team, while the team is playing its game.

19. The Advantages of Softwood Casement Home windows

There are numerous different Window Installation options available, whether
    you’re in the process of creating a new home or perhaps you need windows for your
    existing home. Besides variations, such as casement windows, double hung and sash,
    but there are also lots of materials from hard or soft wood to PVC, aluminium plus more.

20. What’s up to all, for the reason that I am in fact eager of reading this web site’s post to be updated daily.
    It consists of nice stuff.

21. With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or