True Blood's Tara Buck Talks That Sex Scene: 'I Was Sore the Next Day'

Eric Ginger Sex Scene

Sunday’s True Blood offered a surprise treat for longtime fans, serving up one of the most highly anticipated — and oddly hilarious — sex scenes in the HBO drama’s history.

RELATED True Blood Series Finale Spoilers: Sookie Faces Life ‘Without Bill,’ New Death Mystery Emerges and More

I’m talking about Ginger and Eric, who were finally free to fulfill their sexual destiny now that Eric is cured of — and immune to — Hep-V. Below, Tara Buck dissects the historic scene for TVLine, sparing no dirty detail (but feel free to close the window if you’re not interested in reading 500+ words about what it’s like to make sweet, sweet love with Alexander Skarsgard).

TVLINE | When you first read the script and saw that this was finally going to happen, what was your initial reaction?
I felt good! This is a victory for Team Ginger! There was some teasing along the way from the writers that [sex with Eric] might be in Ginger’s future, but I wasn’t really sure if or how it would actually happen. Before I actually saw the script, Alex [Skarsgard] said to me, “Have you read the script? They finally wrote it! We finally do it.” I was like, “We do?” And he was just laughing. I made him give me a play-by-play of what happens, so I had a little heads-up. The writers are so funny and so creative that nothing quite compares to actually reading the script. There were so many wonderful details; they really covered all the bases.

TVLINE | I also loved how quickly it ended, considering how much build-up there was.
[Laughs] Right?

TVLINE | But even with it being so short, I know those scenes always take longer than you’d think to film. How long did you two work on this?
We shot for a while. I feel like it was a full day, but I’d say we shot for … a good long while. I was physically exhausted by the time we were done. My dismount is extremely physical, as you witnessed. That was some core strength you saw there. I was sore the next day and exhausted that evening.

TVLINE | The whole thing felt authentic for Eric and Ginger. How much were you guided, and how much did you two just make up along the way?
It was actually a great combination. The writers wrote a wonderful scene, all the dialogue that leads up to it, but the actual act — the mounting and dismounting and whatnot — was not written, so we just figured it out right there. Alex is amazing to work with. He’s incredible and funny and has all these ideas. We did a rehearsal to block it out and get an idea of what was going to happen, and the director loved it and said, “Well, I think you should do it just like that.” I actually had a stunt double, but I didn’t want to use her. This was Ginger’s big moment, and wasn’t going to give one second away! So I had to figure out how to do all of it myself.

TVLINE | And figure it out, you did. Let’s talk about the sound she made. I don’t think I’ve heard anything like it.
[Laughs] There was one great line in the script that said “the sound is eerie.” So I thought, “Oh my goodness, that’s so wonderful and weird and not, of course, what anyone is going to expect.” I figured people would expect Ginger to have a big, climactic scream. It left it open to a lot of possibilities, like, you might wonder if she’s having a heart attack.

TVLINE | I honestly thought she died.
Good! And, hey, that would be the way Ginger would want to go out.

TVLINE | Speaking of which, is Ginger in the series finale, or was that our final taste of her?
Well, in sticking with the tradition of not giving away spoilers, I’m just going to say this was definitely Ginger’s climax — literally.

TVLINE | Looking back at your seven seasons on True Blood, do you have a favorite Ginger moment?
I have a few. I always loved Ginger riding the coffin, and I used to say that was my favorite — but now, I look back to the moment when we see Ginger’s house for the very first time; and Eric shows up and she realizes they’re not going to have sex, and she’s devastated. He makes her a promise, and I’m sure it was not conceived at the time that it would actually happen, but we all had so much fun with it. I think the fans really took up that rally cry and made it happen. I owe that scene 100 percent to the fans.

Truebies, was Ginger and Eric’s sex scene everything you dreamed it would be? Drop a comment with your thoughts on their *ahem* performances below.

1. jessica says:

It. Was. Perfect.

2. Cari Gerrits says:

That scene was hilariously perfect. WELL DONE!

3. DarkDefender says:

As it was happening, at that very moment.. I no longer wanted it to happen. But it was nice to see Ginger finally get what she wanted all these years.

4. L says:

Was this really “highly anticipated”? By whom?

5. WTActualF says:

I thought that scene was stupid.

6. katrina says:

Loved it! Husband and I were laughing the entire time! Reading this interview has me chuckling at the thought! What a scene stealer! :)

7. Paula says:

I’m Stoked that she got to live out the rest of her days with the Viking Vampire she’s always wanted on his Throne!

8. Truefan says:

The Ginger and Eric scene was hilarious and had me laughing out loud. It was sweet and generous of Eric and a fitting end to the relationship.

9. Jackie Frye says:

The scene was great, but if I had been fantasizing about sex with Eric as long as Ginger had . . . It would not have been a quickie in a chair.

• CountryQueen says:

But that’s what was great. How short it was. Just like the guy who can’t wait to be with the girl of his dreams, and then when he does, it’s over in 3 quick humps. LOL

10. Damieko says:

Haha that scene had me laughing so hard Ginger finally got what she wanted a little to fast lol! It was hilarious. I was also so happy to see Hoyt and Jessica together finally they found their way back to each other. As for Jason I think he’s gonna go to Alaska with Bridget or she’s gonna stay in Bon Temps with him. Oh man and my heart dropped when Pam almost got staked I had tears in my eyes I love Pam she’s got it all pizzaz, classy, sex appeal, sensitivity ( when she wants to be.) Eric in my opinion is nothing without her. I hope they stay together in the end but just as they are not romantically. As for Bill I hope he ends up with Sookie he will realize he does need and will heal himself I feel or he decide to meet his fate and join his family in the afterlife he’s been having quite a few flashbacks on that. We will see next week can’t wait for the finale so sad to see it end what a good show this was.

11. Perla says:

Jillions of years just to ride him for 2 seconds?!… Really Ginger!!!???… it was hilarious, LOVED IT SO MUCH
    You are GREAT, Ginger!!! <3

12. Lettie Mae says:

Should have been Jason and Tara but that is not happening.

• Sam says:

I agree! I always wanted Tara to get to consummate her unrequited love for Jason, and I think they would have been great together as endgame.

13. Brigid says:

That scene was hysterical and had me and the hubby laughing. All that waiting and it lasted 2.5 seconds!! LOL

14. nobody special says:

my husband is NOT a Trubie at all; in fact, 9 pm Sundays he usually rolls his eyes and leaves the room. Last night, for some reason, he wandered through just as Eric told Ginger it was “time.” He stayed, laughed like a loon, and told me that was the best TV sex he’d ever seen. couldn’t argue, it was just perfect. Yay, Ginger!

15. rcc68 says:

I couldn’t stop laughing. Sorry, but is true. For that moment to have been so looked foreword, to by, Ginger, and that it was so quick, and, Eric looked so funny. I’m surprised he didn’t laugh, instead of looking at her like she was crazy, which she was.

16. Nona S. says:

Hands down best ever sex scene in the full 10 seasons!!! His expression was priceless and her reaction to finally getting what she has wanted for Sooo very long was amazing acting on both their parts. She had earned that piece of heaven and on “the throne” of course!! I so envy her of this scene!!!!

17. If 5 seconds of sex with Eric makes an orgasm feel that damn good then damnit I’ll take a 5 second lay with Eric too!!!

• Nona S. says:

I’d have been naked before he could have finished the k sound when he told her what he was gonna do. Hit the big “O” 3-4 times on the way to the throne and probably blacked out just from “straddling” him too!!!! But dang she really deserved that !!!!

18. Alisa says:

It was AWESOME….STELLAR!!!!

19. tbf says:

What song played during this?

20. It was…awkward. Uncomfortable. Though I did like Eric’s facial expressions, wondering WTF just happened.

21. Angela Nelson says:

Absolutely perfect.

22. Hawklord says:

That was undoubtedly the best 30 seconds of TV I’ve seen in a long time. Eric’s facial expression just summed it up quite nicely. I’m still chuckling about it.

23. Valgalpalgal says:

I the only one who thought Eric looked almost disappointed? I laughed and laughed.

24. fudgefase says:

Funniest scene I’ve watched in yonks. Ginger was awesome and Eric’s face was just a picture. Absolutely brilliant.

25. ei says:

Perfectly acted- hilarious and the scene of the show. Glad Ginger finally got him- If I was Tara I would have rehearsed for days!!!!!! Any scene with Alex is great. Loved his expression when it was over.

26. It was my favorite scene in the whole 7 seasons!!!…it was hilarious….Good NIght Ginger…..hahaha

27. Max says:

What song is Eric and Ginger having sex too

28. Elizabeth says:

That was the greatest. I busted a gut laughing, until I was crying. Ginger finally got what she wanted,and that was the first time Eric didn’t know what had happened. I loved it!

29. Hollyberry says:

Ginger coffin surfing Eric’s coffin was the highlight of the season for me. Belly laughs doesn’t even begin to cover it…!

30. Ezme Green says:

It was excellent!!! Thankyou Tara Buck for playing such a fantastic character!!!