Hawaii Five-0 Boss Teases Episode 100, Clears the Air on Steve's New Romance

Hawaii Five-0 Season 5 Preview

As CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 brought Season 4 to a close, Wo Fat broke out of a supermax prison — but to what end?

That latest mystery surrounding McGarrett’s ongoing foil — plus many others — will be answered in the series’ 100th episode, titled “If, Perhaps,” executive producer Peter M. Lenkov told TVLine as part of our Fall Preview Q&A.

RELATED Fall Preview 2014: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Premieres

“I’ll tell you this: If there are any lingering questions for people who have been loyally watching the show from the beginning, they’re all going to be answered in the 100th episode” aka the seventh episode of Season 5, Lenkov assured. “There really will be no more questions, as to, ‘Are [Steve and Wo fat] related?’ and ‘What is Wo Fat’s relationship with Steve’s mother?’ … That’s all going to come to a head and be resolved.”

RELATED Hawaii Five-0 Adds a Crazy Person, Brings Back [Spoiler]

Also during our all-encompassing preview interview, Lenkov addressed reports that, with Catherine barely out of Steve’s life, a new, yet-to-be-cast love interest already is on the way for the Five-0 boss.

“Everybody’s selling it as a love interest, but really it’s a friendship,” Lenkov said. “McGarrett meets a woman on the anniversary of his father’s death, and they share the common trauma of both losing a parent very early on. And that’s going to play into an arc.”

Hawaii Five-0 opens Season 5 on Friday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c (where it now leads out of The Amazing Race).

Want more scoop on Hawaii Five-0, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. sarah j says:

Can not wait for the show to return! Okay Peter Lenkov you really have to hire me for the new possible love interest for Steve.

2. Dean says:

Just hope they don’t make this ‘new woman’ a member of Five 0 after Jenna, Lori and now Catherine a second girl on the team always doesn’t pan out. Probably why they went with Grover instead.

3. Tran says:

Can’t wait for H5O 100th episode. Really like the theme music.

4. Autumn says:

Can we cast Sophia Myles in the part? I’m okay with a ‘possible’ romance (doors open if it works and not if it doesn’t). I never really warmed to the Catherine/Steve relationship. It was kind of boring to be honest.

• MGL says:

I agree totally. I liked Catherine, but maybe how she became his full time love interest, with no real sparks, made it boring. He was so fantastic in Moonlight with Sophia Myles and the build up to the romance, that this one in 5’0, even in the background, was boring.

• Reah says:

No way ,Sophia Myles has moved to bigger things. Didn’t u hear she was in Transformers 4 ? Soon she will be in a BBC show . Hawaii 50 is not good enough for her , she is too talented to work in a procedural , and less in a low rated one that skews so old.

5. wrstlgirl says:

I really love this show but am sick to death of the Wo Fat story line. Get it over with already, it’s been drawn out waaaayyyyy to long.

6. TDXI says:

I wish they would drop all these Wo Fat, Steve’s mother storylines, as they aren’t the slightest bit interesting.

7. Here’s a new old idea. Let’s dispense with the idea of any relationship for Steve for awhile and allow him to deal with all his losses and focus on being good old H50/Navy SEAL Steve/Head of 5-0 McGarrett! I like some of the personal stuff, but not too much. Enough already with this for awhile. Let’s get back to the focus of the show – the action and bromance and banter and interplay among the characters we have, add in some guests that are interesting for a few stints, play with Jorge Garcia who’s a real talent and see where that goes with the 5 core and supporting cast they have now. Otherwise things just get muddled and lose focus and we’re back to another mediocre Season 3.

8. Joey Padron says:

Good scoop about new season. Can’t wait for new season to start next month!

9. Helen says:

It’s about time the WoFat storyline is put to rest. 4 years is just too long to drag out. I’m glad the new girl is just a friend. McGarrett and Rollins were a perfect match and I’m hoping Steve realizes that Catherine is his true love and brings her home.

10. tardisrepairman says:

I think the problem can best summed up by this– in the original Five O, Wo Fat was a nefarious Moriarty type always bringing tense emotional drama in the one or twio episodes he might be featured in per season. When you consider Wo Fat was not captured in the original series until the very last episode– it was a finale that took twelve or so episodes over a decade to accomplish.

11. Dawn D says:

I would prefer just bring Catherine back and they finally make a commitment to each other. Peter another woman has been done to many times. Sorry love the show but was very disappointed the end of last year.

• ally says:

i agree, no more love interest for steve, cath is perfect for him, if no cath then no woman for steve, but also lets not let the personal issues over fill the crime in the show

12. Lori jordan says:

I like the Steve and Catherine relationship. Please don’t change that. He doesn’t need another chick. Catherine is perfect for him. JMHO

13. 5-0 Fan says:

Personally I prefer Lori with Steve
    Hope they bring her back

14. Jim Fanning says:

Is there any way we can watch a show being filmed or be an extra? We will be there next week.

15. Diane says:

I feel like this guy never learns a lesson about what people want and/or don’t want on this show! I think it’s pretty clear that no one wants a new girl brought in, whatever her role is. Steve has had enough personal stories with his mom, his sister, his aunt, Catherine… let it rest for awhile. I’m also not crazy about adding Grover to the team. I think most people want it to remain the Core 4 – I don’t understand why they keep trying to force in a new member! Go back to the Season 1 format and leave it alone.

• BK Jackson says:

I agree. If it can’t be Catherine as the added member of the team, stick to the core 4. I liked Grover’s character, I just don’t necessarily see him effectively transitioning to the Five-0 task force.

16. BK Jackson says:

Catherine and Steve had a rock solid relationship over many years and Steve’s character has never presented himself as a dump ‘em and run to the next one kind of guy. Not to mention that Catherine the character, despite the actress’s departure from the show, was off on a humanitarian mission at season 4’s end. To foist Steve into some new relationship will make him look like the biggest cad ever and is totally uncharacteristic of the head of FIve-0 we’ve come to love over 4 seasons. Catherine can’t be replaced. She was too good. And please, for heaven’s sake, don’t foist another Lori Weston on us. There are enough storylines running throughout each show without desperately casting bimbo after bimbo as Steve’s love interest. YUCK!

17. Norma says:

I’m hoping this woman on tonight’s show will be Steve’s new love interest ! They were good together , and their careers can mesh too .