Emmys

Emmys 2014: What Should Win Outstanding TV Movie? Take Our Poll!

Emmys 2014 TV Movie

If history is any indicator, Emmy voters like a little, well, history in their Outstanding TV Movie winners.

The last four champs in the category — 2010’s Temple Grandin, 2009’s Grey Gardens and 2008’s Recount and 2007’s Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee — all had their roots in real-life characters and situations.

RELATED  Emmy Poll 2014: What Should Win Best Miniseries?

Heck, even in the last three years — when the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences merged Movies and Miniseries into one overarching division — two of the three victors (2012’s Game Change and 2013’s Behind the Candelabra) followed that trend.

That’s good news for several 2014 contenders: HBO’s Muhammad Ali’s Greatest Fight, NatGeo’s Killing Kennedy and HBO’s The Normal Heart (based on Larry Kramer’s largely autobiographical play of the same name).

Seeking to buck recent history? The pure fiction of PBS’ Sherlock: His Last Vow and Lifetime’s The Trip to Bountiful.

RELATED  Emmys 2014: ‘Meaningful’ Tribute to Robin Williams in the Works

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine programs when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Tomorrow and Friday, we’ll launch two more “Who Should Win” Emmy polls, so come back to TVLine.com to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. rod says:

This one is a no brainer.
    The Normal Heart should and will win.

2. matt says:

SHARKNADO 2!!!!

3. Ron says:

Love–LOVE–Sherlock, but The Normal Heart should, and will, win.

4. kd86953 says:

I baffled as to why Sherlock is in this category. It’s a mini-series!!!

• kd86953 says:

Aaaaand I just saw it combined mini-series/movie into one category. They really need to change the name then, it’s super misleading. While I LOVE Sherlock, The Normal Heart deserves this.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Actually, no, mini-series and TV movies are two separate categories. You were right the first time. However, they are combined for the acting categories. Sherlock chose to submit itself as a movie, and they only submitted the third episode for consideration for all categories. Which means the voters won’t see that fantastic scene where Watson discovers Sherlock is still alive in the first episode. What a shame.

5. webly3 says:

I’m still mad Sherlock is lying about being a TV movie. The Normal Heart should and will win.

• S. says:

Sherlock didn’t “lie.” It’s an Academy rules thing apparently. I don’t remember why, but last time they made them go tv movie for some reason. From what I remember it wasn’t exactly their idea. It’s not fair. Horatio Hornblower got to be a miniseries and had a few really long eps each time even though each was able to stand alone and make sense. Sherlock is textbook miniseries and would be getting a lot more Emmy support if people saw all 3 eps. The first two were really amazing and they don’t even get recognized under this system.

6. DarkDefender says:

I absolutely loved Sherlock’s “The Last Vow” and have seen it multiple times (and Cumberbatch is just brilliant), but The Normal Heart deserves the win because there were far more outstanding performances from a larger cast.

7. Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Taking a few minutes and
    actual effort to produce a superb article… but what can I
    say… I hesitate a lot and don’t seem to get anything done.

8. Joey Padron says:

The Normal Heart.

9. chaouad says:

is that Vanessa Williams ?

10. jm says:

i wish that Emmy voters are like TVline voters and a shocking winner appears. But Tv Academy is not the Oscars academy, so i wont expect a “Brokeback Mountain” scenario this time. Specially after Candelabra sweep last year.
    But i do want that Sherlock win something… they deserve it

11. jasonboegh says:

“The Normal Heart” is an astounding, moving, infuriating, fascinating and inspirational piece of art. It deservedly has this in the bag. No other movie even comes close. End of story.

12. Andrew says:

This pole is unnecessary. Just give “The Normal Heart” an award already.

13. S says:

Sherlock should win, but The Normal a Heart probably will win.

14. Britta Unfiltered says:

I just didn’t like The Normal Heart. I thought as far as movies about the AIDS crisis in the 80s go, Dallas Buyers Club was immensely better. Something about this movie really rubbed me the wrong way. And it’s not a homophobe thing, I loved Behind the Candelabra last year and thought that deserved its win. And it’s not that I hate The Normal Heart, I just wasn’t crazy about it. I thought it somehow managed to be both extremely depressing and uninteresting at the same time, which is quite a feat to pull off. I’m rooting for Sherlock. I know The Normal Heart will win though, because I’m pretty much the only person in the world that didn’t care for it. I’m just glad Sherlock kicked its ass at the Creative Arts Emmys. I’m hopeful Sherlock can pull off the directing win. Either that or Fargo. And I’m going to be really happy next week seeing Julia Roberts’ disappointed face when Allison Tolman gets her name called for best supporting actress.

15. Jeff Gilchrist says: