Pretty Little Liars Recap: Ridin' Solo

Pretty Little Liars Finale

“I am so done with you.” Emily’s words to Alison on Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars may have seemed harsh, but honestly, can you blame her?

RELATED Pretty Little Liars: 40+ Photos From the Summer Finale — But Where’s Alison?

These girls have risked everything — their reputations, their sanity, their lives — to help her over the past few years, and she finally went too far this week by falsely identifying Cyrus as her kidnapper. In fact, she “remembered” an entire scenario in which Cyrus mugged her and left her with that scar on her thigh. But did any of that even happen?

That was a rhetorical question; of course it didn’t happen. In fact, the final moments of the episode revealed that Ali was the one who paid Cyrus to take the fall in the first place. I just can’t with this girl anymore.

SISTER, SISTER | Of course, Emily wasn’t the only liar pushed to her limit this week. Tired of tip-toeing around their issues, Spencer and Melissa finally had an honest sister-to-sister talk, which took a crazy turn when Melissa suggested that Spencer run away with her. Like, out of the country. “It’s not safe for me here,” Melissa said. “Or you.” As for her involvement with Cyrus — she was caught giving a man money on Spencer’s surveillance video — Melissa opted not to comment, though she began making a confessional video at the end of the hour that I’m dying to see.

ASHLEY BENSON, TYLER BLACKBURNHANNA’S DUET | Hanna picked up a few interesting new hobbies this week, including jogging — which is probably smart, considering all the running these girls have to do — and singing, which seemed a little more unusual. It was all part of her attempt at living a “normal” life, but naturally, she couldn’t even make it through a simple choir solo audition without something going horribly wrong. After Mona fainted mid-audition, Hanna found a copy of Cyrus’ mugshot in her purse, which led to a surprising, albeit temporary, alliance to learn more about Ali’s “kidnapper.” The girls bonded over how Alison’s return, even more than her disappearance, has rattled them both. (Am I crazy, or are these two becoming friends again?)

SECOND CHANCES | And then there was Aria, who spent the hour wrestling with her feelings for Ezra. Sure, he lied to her and seduced her with seedy, underhanded intentions — she should have a chat with True Blood‘s Sookie at some point — but when he was in the hospital, she was super sad. It was strange seeing Ella try to talk Aria into giving him a second chance, though if she even knew half of what was really going on in her daughter’s life, there wouldn’t even be a show to watch.

OK, your turn to talk: Are the girls right to cut Alison loose? Is Melissa really as innocent as she seems? And should Aria give Ezra a second chance? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Liz says:

At least Emily finally woke up! I wonder how the Emison fans are going to justify Allison’s sociopathic behavior this time? I hope the alliance between Mona and Hannah continues. And am I the only one who thinks Melissa must be working with Ali somehow I mean Ali set Cyrus up, and Melissa gave him the tape so idk…

2. ggny says:

Allison joining full time really made the show worse

• Liz says:

I really hope she dies for real in the mid season finale…

• CC says:

My friends and I had a friend like Alison (but not as extreme lol) but she would always just throw us under the bus about everything and we finally just told her off. Anyway I think Alison is working with A to save her ass. And although i never really liked ezria i think aria should give ezra a second chance because they did love each other a lot. And i have absolutely no idea what to believe about Melissa

• Terry says:

Agreed!! I keep hoping she will disappear again.

3. david says:

Andy the fact that you still watch it could be a sign :)

4. Carrie Anne says:

Yes aria should give ezra another chance

• mitch says:

I hope you’re trolling. he’s a pedophile and a demonstrated creep, and promoting this couple gives the wrong message to teen girls.

• Kip Ladd says:

This show isn’t made to send messages to teen girls its made for entertainment. If it was made to send messages about doing the right thing %90 of the show would have been cut… Including A.

• Dmac says:

Agreed, I never understood the Aria/Ezra thing not only the whole student/teacher taboo, but the fact he lied the whole time they were together and I find him complety boring, when they are together it drags the story down. I had to laugh when the producer indicated that they were soul mates…come on really???

5. JJM says:

I can see this getting worse by Cyrus breaking out to get his money from Alison and she won’t have it so he’ll attempt to hurt her and she’ll kill him and she’ll play victim again.

6. Kai says:

I had to laugh out loud at the quip on Hanna’s jogging. Nice one, Andy!

And seriously, is anyone (aside from absurd emison fans) mad that Emily finally told Alison what we have all been thinking since she got back? I don’t think there’s anything much left that Alison won’t do to protect herself and herself ONLY.

• PLLfan says:

Kal I don’t think that’s true because if Alison only wanted to protect herself only, she wouldn’t have taken one step ahead of ‘A’ (who was Mona at the time) to save Spencer from the bell tower by pushing Ian, to pull Emily out of the barn and stop the chain saw at Ravenswood and to pull Hanna out of the fire at the lodge while she was hiding out from someone who tried to kill her all this time… So once again, people should think twice before you actually say something.

7. Jude Adjei-Kontoh says:

If we’re being honest, Alli is clearly working with A.

8. justme says:

So does this mean that Ali was on the other end of the phone call (with her stolen voice-recording) to Spencer and then sent the checkmate text from “A”…?

• Liz says:

I think that is an interesting theory considering they’ve always had an adversarial type friendship. Ali probably already suspected Spencer was planning to turn on her, the recordings and pictures from Noel could have been bait to see where spencer’s loyalties were.

9. viva says:

aria should think twice before giving ezra another chance!

10. J says:

Does anyone else think that Hannah and Caleb’s interactions in today’s episode were truly adorable. First Hannah clearing his home, then buying vegetables and putting it in his fridge, trying to get him to eat healthier and making him go for a run with her. It was like such a “wifey” thing to do!

11. KRM says:

I’m really liking Mona and Hannah interacting again. I really like them together and it’s good for Hannah to have a friend outside of the Liar clique. I believed Mona when she said that she went on the defensive when Ali returned because she’s afraid of Ali. After seeing how the episode ended, I don’t blame her.

12. Delena forever says:

I’ve had enough of Allison she is just the worst thing they could have done because she’s just…….
    And three cheers to Em for (finally) waking up

13. Erin2 says:

I really don’t like that fact that they are making Ali the bad guy when they had some many other opportunities with other characters but then have it be a red herring and it turns out they are doing the wrong thing for the right reasons (Mona,Toby,Melissa, Ezra)! At this point the only logical suspects for being “A” is one the original four liars! Also for the people saying Allison doesn’t care about her friends and she is a sociopath… you may be right but the difference between her and her friends is that she is doing what she’s doing to stay alive and what they are doing is trying to one up Allison!

14. lauri5567 says:

I was so glad Emily finally told Alison off, but did anyone notice that she listed things that happened to her, Spencer, and Hanna, but not Aria? (I don’t think this means Aria’s A, but I did find it interesting.)
    I wonder how Alison did get the scar. The one flashback was just inside her head, so why would she lie there? Unless she belongs in Radley as much as anyone…

• Dmac says:

Personally this is just me, but does Aria’s character bring anything to the show? What does Aria do except undermind the girls by reporting to Ezra even when she knows she shouldn’t, become all judgemental regarding Hannah and generally whines and pouts while doing nothing to help. She tried this season with her volunteer work at the psych ward but that is about it?

15. Leila J says:

I don’t even try to understand this show anymore. I have never liked Allison because she’s just an evil girl from headband to toe ring. I keep watching the show because it is entertaining and I can’t wait to see how more and more questions go unanswered. It is a frustrating show, but not a serious show. The girls are cute and stylish; the guys are hot and adorable. I like that Hanna has the attitude that she has concerning Allison. Enough is enough. It is about time the girls have decided to stop doing Allison’s bidding. I doubt if Allison ends up dead by the summer finale because of her polarizing popularity, but could someone at least hit her over the head with a shovel. Again. Pretty please? :)

16. Cate53 says:

Finally Emily sees Alison for the unrepentant liar she is!

17. JKR says:

Speculation / Possible **spoiler*** But are we sure that it was Ali? Yes, the girl who met Cyrus looked like her, but… well…. maybe it’s not? They’ve thrown so many red herrings that I’m wondering if we’re all supposed to distrust Alison by design?

I’m still very wary of Melissa. As far as “A,” it really can’t be as easy as “A”ria, can it?

• Erin2 says:

I’m starting to think so…. they have already disproved all of our suspects!! Unless they plan on making “A” someone we haven’t seen yet, the only logical choices would be Aria or Spencer!

18. ashley says:

Alright I see everyone’s point about Alison. But I don’t think she should die because then what is really the point in season 6 and Season 7 there wouldn’t be a show if Alison dies and I still think Emily finally does wake up to realize Alison’s bidding but I still think that they should still care because A is still out there, I still miss Emison because their cute together but I still think they should care about Alison and it wouldn’t be a show to kill the main character

• Liz says:

The show worked just fine when Alison was dead the first 4 seasons. And she’s far from the main character. I mean I doubt she’s had a quarter of the air time any of the other girls have.

• PLLfan says:

Liz that was only because they hadn’t found out who “murdered” alison and what really happened to her the night she went missing and what happened the summer she was at cape may, hilton head and all the secret rendevous that’s why it worked fine without her but now that they started to have some answers, it would be weird if she leaves the show and think again, she is the main character because the show is all about her, the show’s always been all about Alison DiLaurentis…. duh….

• Cate53 says:

I actually think killing off Alison could be the impetus for season 6 and 7. They can’t continue with the current dynamic for 2 more seasons. She’s been back for 10 episodes and has caused a real seismic shift for pretty much everyone this year. Are they really going to keep doing ‘we trust her/ we don’t trust her’ for much longer? Her death would give us a good mystery to follow through season 6 and 7. She’s only a main character in that her actions or what happened to her have been the driving force. Her actual presence as a real life character isn’t necessary. We had 5 years of her ghost, both in flashbacks and in the people affected by tornado Alison. I say kill her!!! ( cos if it’s any of the liars or their significant others who die, I’ll be very upset!)

19. Lauren says:

What was with the red and white striped dress they showed “A” folding at the end of the episode? I feel like I’ve seen someone wearing that before but I can’t remember.

• Kelsey says:

It’s the same one Ali wore in season 1 when she visited Hanna in the hospital?? I swear that’s where I’ve seen it. So that means that maybe Ali is A? Or the whole twin theory thing?

20. Melanie says:

Ali annoys me as hell, but she’s making the show better. I like the fact that isn’t there as much anymore, more like a shadow that still as an impact on the girl, but still they all are making in worse by adding up to the lies. I prefer seeing the enemy than just trying to guess who it is when the producers have not really decide who that is, and even if they have, that could change 10 times by the en of the serie. That’s what pisses me off the most. There is no actual A. Same way Mona wasn’t from the beginning the A we discovered few seasons ago. It’s not a team, it’s a melting pot a thoughts from a show that is not following a specific plotline, just going with the ratings.

21. Beatriz says:

They are trying so hard to make Ali the bad guy that I truly believe she isnt. I dont like Emison or anything. Also, I liked the show better with only the four liars, but I think the writers just want us to think Ali is bad. It has been always like that: Toby was bad and then he wasnt. Same with Ezra.

22. Brandy says:

Ali is totally Bethany, right? (And Bethany is Ali’s twin, locked up because she was crazy, then escaped and killed her sister, and has since been terrorizing the girls…)

23. Iheartpiper says:

Well no…if Ella knew about it all her alter ego would read up and have A vanquished in time to head to P3.