Chasing Life EP Talks [Spoiler]'s Fate, April's Christmas Surprise and More

Chasing Life Spoilers

Chasing Life‘s Italia Ricci wasn’t exaggerating when she told TVLine to brace for a “vicious” summer finale. (Warning: many spoilers ahead!)

RELATED TVLine’s Performer of the Week: Chasing Life‘s Italia Ricci

Between April checking into the hospital and getting dumped (!) by Dominic, Greer’s parents forbidding Brenna from dating their daughter, Sara and George hashing out the effects of their kiss, and Leo (possibly) taking his final breath, there isn’t a single aspect of the series left uncomplicated.

Below, executive producer Patrick Sean Smith answers TVLine’s burning post-finale questions (and we’ve got plenty of ‘em).

TVLINE | I’m kind of freaking out about Leo. How soon will we find out whether or not he’s OK?
Our Christmas episode, which I understand will air in December, will pick up right where we leave off from the finale.

TVLINE | OK, so the episode will air in December, even though it’s not “Christmas time” on the show?
No, our use of Christmas is something that helps April through the remainder of her treatment. We call it “Christmas in May.” When April realizes that she’s starting to lose her hair, the family decides to throw her a Christmas, which is her favorite holiday, while she’s still in the hospital and starting to struggle with this loss.

TVLINE | Works for me! Now, let’s talk about April and Dominic. What went into your decision to split them up?
We knew we wanted these first 10 [episodes] to end with her treatment, and we knew we wanted April to hold this secret of her illness from Dominic until the finale. The outcome is just what made sense throughout his journey. He’s this guy who had a string of superficial relationships, which made April really hesitant of trusting him with this side of her life. chasing-life-dominicIt would have been too easy for her to come clean and for him to say, “I understand and I accept it because you’re sick.” Now, what he has to deal with in the aftermath of this is that he dumped a girl who was sitting in her hospital bed. And it was heartbreaking for him, too; he made this grand, romantic gesture of traveling back to Boston to be with her, then realized she never really thought he could be there for her. It’s something that will inform his character in the next 10.

TVLINE | But it’s safe to say their story isn’t over yet?
That’s correct. They’ll still be working together, but now as exes. There’s plenty of [built-in drama] when people have to see each other every day after going through something messy and personal.

TVLINE | That there is. On a side note, thank you for not killing Saul. That gave me some hope.
I’m glad that’s how you took it, because that’s how we wanted to end the 10. When we talked about the fate of Saul, the assumption is that we’re killing people off left and right on this show. We’re not The Walking Dead. Saul survived.

TVLINE | Brenna also went through a change this week. She seemed genuinely remorseful for everything she’s done.
In looking at all of our characters and tying them to April’s struggle, we really wanted Brenna to start to own up to her sins of the past. She’s been this pain-in-the-ass kid, as we saw from the pilot, but now she’s really starting to take responsibility for herself. And it’s a journey; she’s not suddenly just going to become “the good girl.” Nobody changes that drastically overnight, but this is the beginning of a difficult turn for her.

TVLINE | Speaking of difficult, will she and Greer try to stay together in secret?
Greer will be back in the next 10, and they’ll have to deal with the realities and the new challenges of their relationship, which we’ve come to refer to as Juliet and Juliet.

TVLINE | And now, for the weirdness. Sara and George briefly discussed their kiss, but is that it for them? Or could that really become a thing?
We’ll carry it through into the next 10. We’ll continue to explore their relationship, but also the consequences of … or, rather, the impact their relationship could potentially have on the family, given how much this family has already suffered from secrets and relationships that weren’t always something everybody would necessarily support.

What did you think of the Chasing Life summer finale? Do you think Leo survived? Drop a comment with your take on the episode, and your hopes for the future, below.

1. amarien says:

Maybe I’m too optimistic (and too in love with Scott Michael Foster in general and as Leo), but I didn’t take the final scene to mean that Leo was about to die? I took it more along the lines that he was going to go ahead and have the surgery and that’s why he called April? Am I the only one who thought this?

• Andy Swift says:

Most people I’ve talked to took it to mean he could be dying, but your point is just as valid. I guess we’ll find out in December! :-X

• Sparky says:

Yeah I took it as him wanting to fight for his life and going ahead which the surgery. I didn’t get the impression from his parents body language that he was in a bad way more going through the steps involved in his surgery and the risks. There’s too much potential in their storyline to kill him off imho!!! Can’t wait to see what’s next

• Cassandra says:

You’re not alone. I’m fully invested in the belief that his parents are there talking to the doctors because they are getting details about his surgery. If he had died, I don’t think they’d be having a discussion about the details of it on the cancer ward floor.

• I think so too, maybe he decided to get the surgery and left a message for april saying he loved or something like that incase he died.

• danielw1 says:

That’s how I took it too but who knows. TV shows love to break my heart lol. I am rooting for April and Leo. :) As for George and Sara though – I find it too weird. lol I end up watching my CL shows on the DVR and I have found myself skipping thru some of the George / Sara scenes. Weirds me out. IDK why

• Abby says:

OMG I THOUGHT THE EXACT SAME THING. I hope so much that that’s what it is.

• Nancy says:

Sorry but that is too simple and frankly cheesy. The guy has been committed to dying and now suddenly changes his mind? Yeah that just seems a bit ridiculous. After telling her to go be with Leo and all of that he suddenly decides he wants to live? Sorry but that just don’t make sense.

• Talia says:

For one, this is a T.V show so anything can happen.

Also, he said that he definitely did not forget the night he and April had sex and its obvious he’s into her. And then he was talking about her will to live and all that. Maybe she inspired him and he changed his mind? It seems realistic to me. If you had cancer and were deciding how to live the rest of your life, considering possible consequences, you might change your mind a couple times too.

• Nancy says:

Just because he said that does not mean he suddenly wants to live. He also told her to go be with Dominic and that he was not the guy for her(Leo). Um not everyone changes their mind. He needs to do it for himself not for her. I know people like him and all but I think you are all jumping to conclusions.

• Talia says:

I am not saying he changed his mind I am just saying that it is definitely a possibility. Ik not everyone changes their mind but idt youve had cancer so you don’t know how hard decisions like that are.

And maybe he told her to be with dominic because he doesnt want to put her through the stress of seeing him struggle with cancer when she needs to take care of herself

• Talia says:

No your not the only one who thought that…I thought the same thing. I was being hopeful that April and her will to live inspired him to get the surgery and hopefully continue his life.

• Lisa says:

I totally agree. I think much like when April didn’t want to tell Dominic about her cancer to make him stay. Leo didn’t want to tell her about his decision to have the surgery well she was still deciding what she wanted with Dominic. I had a feeling he was going to go ahead with the surgery when he was talking to her in the Chapel. And the voicemail pretty much confirmed it for me. If he had died I don’t think he would have time to send her a voicemail. It’s not like he would know it was coming most likely.

• Terrie says:

My thoughts exactly.

• Stephany says:

I am definately scared to find out what it is. But I love your response and am goping youre very right!!!!!!!
      Thanks Amarien!!

Stephany!!!

• Sue says:

I also took the last scene as positive. I though Leo was checking into the hospital for chemo or surgery. I like Leo’s character. I will stop watching the show when his character leaves.

• I took it the same way you did, he didn’t sound sick on the phone he sounded normal. I think when they were in that hallway and she looked at him like I still need you when I get out he realized he still has someone to try and live for.

• I got the same impression!! If Leo died, how did he call and leave her a voicemail (and one that sounded genuinely optimistic!!)?? I’m really hoping this is the scenario and he decided to go through with the surgery and that he is *swoon* in love with April :)

• hiral says:

no me too

• Isabelle says:

My first thought straight after that final scene was also that he went along with the surgery, it just worked out in my head that way.
      First of all due to the fact of what April had been saying to him throughout the final few episodes and that April said to him earlier in the episode that she might not ever see him again after the treatment and that she didn’t want that.
      Also along with that is also that I truly don’t understand why his parents would be there at the hospital if he died, I really don’t know it just played out in my head more so having the surgery.
      Anyway just my opinion.
      Now for the dreaded wait till December until the answer is revealed!

• maria says:

Not at all, I thought the exact same thing, that he was not going to give up on life!

• Klara says:

I absolutely agree on this with you. This was exactly my was first thought. Can’t wait for December to find out tho :)

• Nancy says:

I get that people like Leo but think. WHY would he suddenly get the surgery after telling her that he does not want it and to go be with Dominic? Italia said his parents were CRYING. That is now the reaction I would expect from them if he were getting the surgery. It would just be too sudden for him to have that big of a change of heart. sorry.

2. Juan says:

I really don’t think (hope) Leo died, the parents being at the hospital and the voicemail if anything I think suggest him changing his mind on the surgery. Anyway good episode but I didn’t feel it was as impactful as it could have been, except for that scene between Leo and April.

• Sparky says:

Thought it was just me but the scene with Leo was the only one that seemed to have an impact. Either way I am still loving the show and can’t wait to see what happens next.

• Lisa London says:

I totally agree. These two actors have great chemistry and theirs were the only scenes that had true emotional impact. I have a suspicion that killing Leo may have been the original plan before the showrunners saw how well these two actors work together and how much the fans love Leo. I firmly believe he’ll be back next season.

3. Kelleigh says:

I totally think Leo is going through with the surgery because he wants to live for April!!! If not, and he dies I will cry :'( he is my favorite!

4. Melosm says:

I am loving this show! I hope ABC Family keeps it around. I can’t believe we have to wait until December!!

It was pretty obvious that Leo is there getting treatment.

I am having a hard time imagining both him and April with no hair.

• Shannon says:

AAHHH No hair. It will be weird but it will also show us the reality of what others go through. And watching her in the hospital with all the tubes really showed me. And as for December – it’s the same time frame to wait between network’s “normal” seasons (ex- season finales in May and then they premier four months later in September…) so I can suffer through the wait but when you say December – it just seems so long from now. I hate that ABC fam’s shows have split seasons. :(

• Nancy says:

Then why did we not see Leo? He’s the one who should be there with the doctors going over things. Not his parents. I know people want him to get the surgery but I just think it’s too cheesy for him to have this sudden change of heart.

5. Meghan says:

April and Leo need to be together for awhile! He really needs to go for the surgery and live at least a few more months. I dont think we are ready to let him go yet, he is way too cute to die this soon.

6. Diane says:

I hope Leo has the surgery and is going to around to be with April. I have been a fan of Scott Michael Foster’s since he played Cappie on Greek. I also hope that ABC Family lets the story play until it ends in a way that makes sense.

• amarien says:

I completely agree. SMF was great as Cappie, and I’m loving him as Leo. I hope the story plays out realistically, but on the other hand, I also want him around forever? So… We’ll see!

7. Caroline says:

Maybe I’m just being hopeful but I really think (and hope) that Leo is checking into the hospital to get treatment. He is clearly meant to be with April and I think that mixed with his popularity with the viewers will save him. The show will not kill him off (this soon anyway) if they know that he is part of what’s keeping the ratings. The people watching this show are teenage girls, and teenage girls love love stories. The dying girl and the dying boy is a story much more romantic than the one with the attractive co-worker…it just is.

Leo will live. He has to:)

• Kate says:

I agree with you about Leo. The viewers of this show are largely teenage girls. As most of them seem to prefer Leo/April over Dom/April, it would seem illogical to kill him off this soon. Especially because they are likely trying to get renewal for a second season. (I hope that they keep him around anyway.) That said, I’m still kinda mildly concerned that they will try to be bold and edgy, and kill him off. I actually really like the Leo/April relationship and I selfishly hope they will all live and make it out together.

• Nancy says:

He is only a guest star. he is not in the opening credits. only Dominic is.

• johnhelvete says:

Leo has a brain cancer, I dont see if as bold or edgy if Leo dies, some people with cancer do not survive, I would call it being realistic about cancer. That being said Leo is a fantastic character played by a very good actor and it would suck if he dies on the show.

• Nancy says:

Right. I mean Carrot Dude died and the one guy from the cancer group died, but they were barely in the show long enough for me to care so their dying had no impact on me at all. Leo dying would be different.

• Nancy says:

Since the majority of fans don’t post on message boards and the like I think it’s wrong to say that most of thefans are teen girls and that they prefer Leo/April. That is certainly your opinion but not fact.

• Nancy says:

Actually that’s rather depressing. Watching to sick people in love? NO thank you! I would rather she and Dominic work it out.

• Talia says:

But April and Leo both get each other. I am not saying Dominic would not be great and supportive, but April and Leo have this special connection. And yeah its depressing, but it should be..this stuff happens to people every day.

• Laura j says:

It would actually be pretty realistic for Leo & April to get together. I’m a cancer survivor, and most of my friends and even a couple of boyfriends are all survivors too. Cancer takes over your life and the only people who understand are fellow patients.

8. Lynne says:

I’m thinking Leo decided to have the surgery. Hate that we have to wait. And I don’t like That Dominic broke up with her “I need to take care of myself?”

• Nancy says:

She broke his heart. She lied about her cancer. He was willing to forgive her for that until he saw her with Leo.I mean geez the poor guy was not gone 2 days before she hit the sheets with Leo so to speak! I would be angry too. She lied about THAT as well to him. She has a problem with telling the truth and it finally caught up to her. I don’t care if they were “on a break”. What she did was beyond mean and cruel. And she didn’t even try to defend herself or beg Dominic to forgive her. That says it alll. She doesn’t care about Do minnic and never did. he was nothing more to her then a roll in the hay. I feel sorry for the guy. She wants him back? She is going to have to work for it. She should not be given a free pass because she is sick.

9. Nancy says:

You broke up April and Dominic. How could you? What he did was just cruel and mean. I don’t know if I can forgive you for that and if you put her with Leo I’m done. That’s just pathetic. He’s dying.

• Talia says:

good you should be done…you obviously don’t have the compassion to understand a quality show like Chasing Life

• Nancy says:

Excuse me? How dare you tell me what I should or should not feel! The writers are the ones who got fans invested in their relationship. NOT me. If they didnt want that to be the focus of the show then they should not have made it the focus! And you think her being with leo is any less cheesy? You think fans whining about Leo and April are any better? Really? What compassion? They writers MADE me care about April/Dom. I did not do that by myself!

• Talia says:

I know. Obviously the love triangle was intended by the writers. I am not telling you how you should feel but you are so defensive and are only seeing things from your point of view.

I am not saying it wouldn’t be a little cheesy for April and Leo to be together but it does make sense!! Thry have a connection that Dominic and her could never have!! Did you really think Dominic was going to come back and be like its okay you didnt tell me and its okay that you hooked up with Leo. That wouldn’t be realistic either!!

I am saying I don’t think you have the compassion to appreciate what Leo and April are going through. You can’t say what the right decisions are because you are not them!!! its different for everyone!!! Your ignorance is making you look stupid and inconsiderate in this sense.

• Nancy says:

Defensive? Don’t think so. You were being rude. I have the right to my opinion. I am not saying that Dominic does not have the right to be angry. He does. But April just made it worse by trying to justify her actions. Saying “I wish I could go back and do things differently” does not help because she CAN’T go back and do it diferently. Yes she and Leo have a connection. But why can’t it just be as a cancer friends? Why MUST it be as lovers as well? That’s just eww. Sorry. It’s a fictional show. And whether I understand what they are going through or not(and how can I as it’s FICTION?) is not the issue. You don’t get it. So just never mind. And do NOT call me ignorant again. You do you think you are?!

• Nancy says:

Having cancer does NOT give her the right to just do what she wants. Which unforrtunately she has learned from Leo. Being cancer friends is FINE. But they ruined that by having them SLEEp together! WHY do you not get that? And I NEVER said that Dominic should just forgive her. No. She needs to earn back his trust and that will take time. If she doesn’t do that then she never cared for Dominic to begin with.

• When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get
            three e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove
            me from that service? Thanks!

• What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience on the topic of unexpected feelings.

• Ana says:

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thanks, However I
            am having troubles with your RSS. I don’t know why I cannot subscribe to it.
            Is there anybody having the same RSS problems? Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond?
            Thanx!!

• Nancy says:

Stop being rude! Even Italia says that Leo is not right for her. Just because I don’t have cancer does not make me ignorant. That however IS an ignorant thing to say. I would report you if I could. Rude much! NO I did not expect Dominic to be okay with what she did! But that does NOT mean that she and leo need to be F*c* buddies either! they have cancer. Great. But they can just be friends! they don’t NEED to be lovers. this is a FICTIONAL tv show. You get that right? Don’t tell me what I do or do not get. These are NOT real people! The only one who is stupid and inconsiderate is you bitch!

• Lucy says:

So you think April should just ignore Leo because he’s dying? He should be allowed to live his life, however long it may be. Also, Dom didn’t do anything wrong…

• Nancy says:

I am not saying ignore Leo But she is ignoring DOMINIC in favor of Leo. THAT is wrong. You are right that Dominic did nothing wrong

• Lucy says:

Hey guys, so everyone on here is saying the same thing: either Leo is dead or he is going into surgery. But what if Leo is telling April something crazy that none of us have thought of yet? I can’t think of anything that would make sense, (“I’m a stripper! Your dad is alive! I have Herpes!”) But anyone who has theories, reply. Also, what if Leo had a seizure or fainted or something and isn’t close to dead yet. That would be kind of stupid but it would explain his parents being there. I do think him getting surgery make soooo much sense though; he would definitely want April to know about that. If he dies I’m so done.

10. johnhelvete says:

Are some of the people only watching this show to see what guy April ends up with? Cause IMO there are several more interesting things going on than which guy April dates/marries etc.

• stephanie says:

AMEN

• Nancy says:

Well I hate to tell you this but that is what the writers want. The show is about more then just her having cancer and the writers and actors even admit that. If they did not want people to focus on the love triangle then they should not have started one. But they did and now people are going to talk about it and want Leo or Dominic with April. If they didn’t want fans to focus on that then they should not have MADE It the focus.

• Emma says:

Nancy, I am very impressed with your passion over a TV show. I am very impressed that you speak of this TV show as if it was in real life and it is your life. However, you seem to be a very closed minded person and don’t care to listen to other people’s opinions as you want others to hear your opinion. Truth of the matter is I understand that most people want Leo and April to be together because in real life people that have the same life experiences can relate better with someone who has gone through it before. Also, I understand that some want Dominic with April but the truth of that as well is that in real life people would not be with someone who kept secrets or treated their relationship the way that she had. Please remember this is a TV SHOW…. I think you are invested a little too much in believing that this is for real to the point of obsession… I believe the point of this show is to show the reality of someone with cancer and the struggles of everyday life that one maybe going through…the point of the this show is not a love triangle. All you speak of is this love triangle…have you been watching the same show I have. The show I have been watching shows how cancer affects the patient, family, friends and how their views and life changes because of it. Maybe if you opened you eyes and ears a little you can see more than a love triangle in this story.

• Amanda says:

Thank You Emma! I couldn’t have said it better! I completely agree!

• Nancy says:

Amanda? You are VERY RUDE and I do not appreciate your being that way. I have a RIGHT to post what I want.Do NOT tell me how to post Thanks. I would report you if I could!

• Nancy says:

And maybe you should STOP telling me what to think or feel bitch. Got it?! How DARE you tell me what to think or feel. Maybe you should SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

11. stephanie says:

I’m sure that Leo is alive; he probably decided to go through with the surgery after his conversation with April and called her to let her know. In the church, they talked about April being a fighter and that it was the cancer “poisoning” her into giving in (or something like that). I bet that after leaving her in the hospital, Leo realized that he needed to take his own advice and fight for his future too. They’ll probably have a big romantic moment when the show comes back about how April inspired him to get better (or at least I hope so because I ship them so hard!). Or maybe that’s what the Voice Mail says (?).

I can’t predict if he’ll actually SURVIVE the surgery though. It’s possible that he could die on the operating table or something like that. But I am 100% sure we’ll see him when the show comes back for the Christmas episode.

By the way, I just want to say how much I’m enjoying Chasing Life! I don’t usually watch shows on ABC Family and when I first tuned in I did not think I would enjoy it as much as I am … the writers and producers are doing a great job! And the whole cast has really grown on me.

I’m so invested now! I can’t wait for it to come back.

12. Abby says:

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. At least I’m hoping that he gets the surgery and then they can be together.

13. Thao says:

I really hope Leo is still alive because he’s my favorite character on the show. I think he gives April hope plus he is kind of the comic relief to the deep topic of the show. I do know that Scott Michael Foster will be playing Christof (from FROZEN) in ABC’s Once Upon a Time this fall, so I don’t know if he will do both shows. I really do hope that Leo makes it though.

14. Nancy says:

Come on folks. Him suddenly changing his mind out of the blue and deciding he wants to now live is not only hokey and pathetic but just stupid. Sorry. For him to suddenly change his mind after that talk he had with her in the hallway seems a bit much. I know people want him to stay but in reality people die of cancer. That’s a fact of life. And for him to get the surgery and miraculosuly be cured is hokey.

• Talia says:

It would be hokey but you never know. And yes your right, people do die from cancer, but that doesn’t mean they don’t usually do everything in their power to keep that from happening. People can change their minds..its a really tough decision to make. And maybe he won’t survive…maybe he will die im surgery, maybe the surgery wont be successful…there are many alternatives. It doesn’t have to be so black and white.

• Fran says:

Im starting to get upset with this. I don’t understand why you keep saying its “stupid” for someone to change their mind about wanting to live (or at least wanting to try). What is so hard to believe about that? It happens all the time. Sometimes a person is so steadfast in their belief and think that’s what they want and that its the only option…. And then they suddenly change their mind and decide to fight. Its human nature to want and be able to do that. Yes, some accept things and see it through- others don’t. I’ve seen it before. There is nothing stupid or hard to believe about that. Does that mean if he changes his mind he will be cured? No, it doesn’t. I dont know why you’re assuming thats the way it would go in that case. Im sorry, but is not hard to understand why he would change his mind. I have no idea which way they are going to go with this but either way makes sense.

• Talia says:

exactly what I was trying to say! You worded it perfectly!

Nobody can really judge or say what is the right decision when they are not in that person’s shoes. I imagine making decisions regarding your life when you have cancer is extremely difficult, which is why it totally makes sense for someone to change their mind on one of those decisions. Nancy you should not say what is right or what makes more sense because life doesn’t always make sense and cancer definitely does not make sense!! I see where you are coming from but please don’t be so quick to judge

• Nancy says:

Excuse me? Rude much? Then who are YOU to say that Dominic does not have a right to be angry and upset with April? It may not make sense to you but he has a right to feel that. I just don’t believe that someone who was SO steadfast in his choice to die would SUDDENLY and miraculously change his mind because of talking with April. Really? He needs to live for HIM not because he had a hard on for April. THAT is what I find pathetic.

• Talia says:

First of all I was not being rude I was asking you to not be so close minded and not be so quick to judge people’s decisions when you are not in their place. I never said that Dominic doesn’t have a right to be upset?! He definitely does!!! Your putting words in my mouth. AND LEO MAY NOT HAVE DECIDED TO GET THE SURGERY BECAUSE HE IS INTO APRIL. MAYBE HE CHANGED HIS MIND!!! That is perfectly okay!! It’s not even worth fighting with you about it. People like you will never open up their minds and see a show like this for all that it is.

• Talia says:

And to reply to your last question “Who do you think you are?” I am a girl way smarter and sophisticated than you who can appreciate a moving show like Chasing Life. I only called you ignorant because of your close-mindedness. I am done speaking with you as people like you will never change and never get it!! I hope you have a fantastic life miss Nancy. Enjoy every moment because as this show clearly shows..life is too short.

• Nancy says:

Chill dude. What is WRONG with deciding to die on your own terms? People do it EVERY day. I get that you have a crush on Leo but come on now. He seems pretty glued to his decision to die and I think Leo fans are going to be disappointed when he does NOT get the surgery.

• Cassandra says:

How is heeding his own advice and deciding to stay in the race hokey and pathetic? There is a myriad of reasons to want to fight your life, just one of those reasons could be for love. I for one am hoping that he gets the surgery, but even in doing so I don’t expect it to be a miraculous cure. It would however buy him more time if he’s not as ready to die as he originally appeared. People make bold statements all the time, it doesn’t necessarily mean them, just that they are trying to convince themselves. Opting out of treatment could have just been his way of taking control over his illness, because how can you lose a “battle” if you don’t fight?

15. Amanda says:

I think Leo is going to try the surgery. That moment with them was just so real. I thought for sure she was going to ask him again right then and there in the hallway. Or at least tell him to stay. I like Leo and her together. It sucks how Dom ended it, but I saw that a mile away. Waiting impatiently for December!!!

16. cindy says:

Hoping it means Leo is fighting for his life now!

17. stepha says:

I so hope Leo called April to tell her that he made the grand gesture for her : having the surgery. After everything April’s being saying to him, and him…not so much, I certainly hope this will be the outcom of all this mess!
    Anyway, I’m glad he was there to comfort her and to be the person she’s turning to when life things get hard. Actually, it makes really sense that she got to turn to him and not Dominic or any other person. He’s the only one that could really understand what she’s going through!
    Brenna&Greer story is a kick-ass side-story, but, for it to become a main story would be bad.
    I would like to see George&Sara relationship’ evolve. It can only be good for both of them … suffering from secrets and different losses …
    Good show !!! Can’t wait for December :)

18. Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.

19. Jane says:

So in other words they are taking away the chance of this being a quality dramatic program and just making it another love triangle show. It wasn’t enough they had to waste so much time with the uninteresting romances with her sister and mother now we are going to just give up the main story for another stupid romance show. Let’s give Grandma a romance also, at least she is a good actress. I like Leo but if he had the surgery and lived I’m dropping the show. I’m sure there will be enough watchers who only want a show that is all about romances that it will survive without me.

20. Sonia Gogan says:

So when will the next season air? Is it Christmas? Or will it be in the fall?

• Brandy says:

It hasn’t been renewed for a second season yet.A Christmas special episode will air in Dec and the rest of season one will probably air in Jan but no official dates announced yet.

21. CJohnson says:

I think Leo has a change of heart and decides to fight for his life, fight for his future, and fight for April. He walked away too easily. Like Leo said to April “she’s going to love him.” And so will he.

22. Kassidy says:

Love the show!!!

23. MillyRose says:

I think Leo is in the hospital because he has decided to get the surgery and I hope he does and I hope he survives. He and April belong together!! <3

• Nancy says:

We only saw his parents in the hospital. Not Leo. I would think if Leo was getting the surgery he would have been there with them. He is an adult not a child and he would need to be there to know what is going on. I know people want him to suddenly get the surgery but I just don’t think that is it. NO they don’t belong together. Having cancer is all they have in common.

24. Brandy says:

I’m Team Dominic.Hes cute,has the journalist thing in common with Aprril and seems to be a good guy.I do think it was cruel to break up with April while she’s in the hostipal battling cancer though.He was right about most everything he said to April:He was her boyfriend and was the last to find out she was sick,she didn’t give him a chance to be there for her/be that guy for her or at least see if he could be.Plus, not only was he last one to find out, he found out in the paper-it’s like breaking up with someone via fax,text,email.disrespetful.I do think April cares about him, but I think if she had cared more,she wouldn’t ve been so quick to hook up with Leo.It showed how much Dominic cared that he came rushing back to April as soon as he found out.Plus,she turned to Leo, not him, when she was freaking out-but she right though that there are some things only another cancer patient or survivor can understand.I think Dominic will giver April normalcy ,stability if they get back together that she won’t/can’t have with Leo.

• Nancy says:

Thank you! Finally someone who gets it. I agree what Dominic did was mean. But you have to look at it from his side of things too. He feels like she didn’t trust him enough to tell him about this. He feels like she is turning to another guy and not him. Whether any of that is really true or not is not the issues. He can’t help how he feels. April didn’t make it any better by basically telling him that Leo means more to her then him. Or at least that is what he heard. Sadly I don’t know if the writers will put them back together and if we don’t get a season that especially wil not happen.Yes she did feel guilty about sleeping with leo but not enough imo.

• Brandy says:

Oh, I get why he’s hurt,upset but it’s still cruel when someoness in the hospital with cancer to dump them but then again he shouldn’t be guilted into staying with April when he’s mad at her cause she’s sick.

25. Jessica says:

Chasing Life is by far my favorite TV series. It’s amazing and I love it.

26. She looks way older than 24.

27. angel says:

i love this show so much and i really think Leo is going to get the surgery and i really want him to but i am definitely rooting for Dominique and April to patch things up they were and still are perfect together every relationship has ups and downs

28. Hayley Hatfield says:

Love this show. Huge fan of April and Leo. Want them to hook up again. Pretty sure they have some intense feelings for each other

29. Amber says:

I love this show!!! One of the best shows this summer!! Can’t wait for more!!

30. Jen says:

I really have enjoyed this show and I’m hoping it will continue. I just wish Leo wasn’t dying off. I can’t wait for more episodes.

31. Kate says:

was diagnosed with cancer at 27. Without the support of my family and close friends I am not certain I would have had the right mind set to be here today. (It is easy to given into the WHY ME attitude). I also had a student diagnosed with cancer at 18. She had a much more difficult time with friends understanding. Her friends actually were afraid to connect and comfort her …. They were uncertain as to how to relate to her (which we have seen in the past few episodes with April’s friends). Big difference between sympathy and empathy… being able to share another person’s experiences and emotions and caring about someone else’s grief or misfortune. There is a different layer or level of understanding or connection. Point being? I totally understand April’s connection to Leo.

• Nancy says:

Of course she had a connection with Leo. They both have cancer. But she took it way too when she screwed him in the funeral home. She did not give a damn about Dominic. He was willing to forgive her for not telling him right away about the cancer. Until she basically admitted they were more then just friends. And did more then just talking. Having cancer does not give her the right to be mean. What she did to Dominc was hurtful and she didn’t even try to justify it.

• Amanda says:

April wasn’t being mean. Dominic and her were taking a break. Thus, they were both allowed to see other people. She didn’t try to justify it because there was nothing to justify. At least she was honest with Dominic.

• NancyBeth says:

Please she was ONLY honest because he saw them together and she was cornered. She HAD to tell him the truth. But she had no plans on telling him about it before that.They were on a break for 48 hours before she hit the sheets with Leo. Yeah she was SURE broken up about Dominic leaving. She could not even make it 2 freaking days before she had to screw Leo. Literally. She was only honest because she was backed into a corner. Just how she was only honest with her family about her cancer when her uncle forced her to be. She doesn’t trust Dominic obviously and never has. If she wants him back she is going to have to work hard for it. Otherwise it’s her loss. But if had slept with someone you would be all up in arms over it. By not trusting him to be there for her she WAS being mean.

32. Mayra says:

I thought it lacked a little bit of Beth. otherwise, it was great.

33. holly says:

I love this show and i cnt wait til december to see whats happens..i feel like Leo is gnna get the surgery just to be in the hospital to be near April..i know he told her Dominic is the guy for her but i feel he has sumthin for April he’s jus scared to express it..but waitn til December to see whats happens is jus gnna be torture for me lol

34. Sofía says:

I think if they are holding us till december they are out of their mind,it’s like too much time for a summer finale!!
    I know when a show like this hace a summer break it have to be epic, but without Leo on the show it will be really boring, Leo it’s like the best character there. I really hope they don´t kill him!! Meybe better PLEASE DON’T KILL HIM!! And besides April looks much better with Leo not with like little sweet Dominic!

35. Jenn says:

I too thought it seemed like Leo was going to get the surgery. Maybe after seeing April fight he decided to do the same. I actually would prefer her to stay friends with Leo because he’s fun to be around but I don’t think she should date him. I think she should get back with Dominic.

• Jenn says:

Also… to tell somebody who you have feelings for to go be with somebody else mean Leo must really love April and if he does then I feel he’s going to fight to be with her longer. At least to see her through her cancer. But…. I still think Dominic is more her speed for the long haul. Leo is fun for now but for a real relationship she should be with Dom. Plus in another episode Greer spoke about how her parents had been gone most of her life. So I think it wont be too hard for Greer and Brenna to see each other when they are gone all the time. Just my opinions tho.

36. fiberlicious says:

” chasing-life-dominicIt would have been too easy for her to come clean and for him to say, “I understand and I accept it because you’re sick.””

No, that would have made SENSE. Flipping out because she called someone who shares the same experience is ridiculous. BAD Ryan! BAD.

• NancyBeth says:

No she SLEPT with Leo. THAT is why he is upset. He asked her “Was that all it was? Talking”? And she could not answer! So he KNEW it was more then that just friends. THAT is why he is upset. Why can’t people get that? I mean he was gone 2 days and she screwed Leo literally. Is he just supposed to be okay with that? I wouldn’t!

37. NancyBeth says:

Sorry but NONE of you people get it. Yes Leo has cancer and he understands her in a way that Dominic can’t. I was FINE with that. Until she went and literally screwed him. THAT I have a problem with. She and Dominic were not even broken up 2 days and she went and did this. Clearly she doesn’t care about Dominic that much now does she? And then she had no intention of telling him about it until Dominic confronted her. April has a problem with telling people the truth. And THAT is why Dominic left. She never gave him the chance to be there for her. She took that from him and then slept with Leo in the process. Is Dominc supposed to be okay with that? Is he supposed to just forgive her because “you poor baby. You have cancer. I forgive you for cheating on me!”? Really people? Cancer does not give you the right to just do what you want. But unfortunately Leo has taught her that she can do whatever she wants and get away with it because she is sick. Guess she is learning the hard way that her actions have consequences? Shame.

38. B says:

American I totally agree I took it as the was calling her to let her know get was going to have the surgery

• NancyBeth says:

Guys think about this. He tells her to go be with DOminic and fight for him. Tells her he is walking away. Then suddenly he callds her to say “Hey I decided to go for the surgery anyways”? Sorry don’t see it. Why would he do that? I know people want him to live but why does this have to be the only think he is going to tell her? It could be anything

• NancyBeth says:

THANK YOU! I am not just not buying that he suddenly changed his mind after telling her to go fight for Dominic(which she BLEW by the way BIG TIME!) and telling her he was going to walk away. I know he sounded calm on the phone but that could be for a number of reasons. I mean for 9 episodes he has been okay with dying. Then suddenly he changes his mind? Not seeing it. Sorry. Why would he tell her to be with Dominic and then change his mind and fight for his life? It makes no sense.

39. Lisa says:

I totally think that the scene where they were in the hallway after she called him was an epiphany for Leo. I think he realized that he loved her and is planning to have the surgery. His voicemail was so calm sounding.

• NancyBeth says:

Or it ould be that he is ready to die and is okay with it? I’m sorry but I am not buying this “Sudden epiphany” to live. I know you Leo lovers want him to stick around but I just don’t see it. Yes his parents were at the hospital but we don’t know why and it could be anything.

• Nancy says:

I think people are too eager to jump to t his conclusion that he has decided to do the surgery. WHY would he tell her to fight for DOminic and that he was going to walk away and then suddenly the decides to do the surgery? Sorry but it’s too simple. It could be anything. I just think people are too eager to believe he had this miraculous change of heart in a day! And sorry but i just don’t see it.

40. Selena says:

In my opinion, I really do hope Leo survives or at least gets to the point of surgery. I think Leo changing his mind about having surgery is completely realistic. If he does change his mind I don’t think he did it for April but for himself. I do believe April inspired him though. Though the show gives us the image of a guy who isn’t afraid of dying, I think deep down he truly is terrified. He tries to cover it up because he probably is afraid that if he had hopes or fought for his life he would fail or end up disappointed. Hence that’s why he gave up on trying because he didn’t want to spend his possible last days fighting for nothing instead just live it out fully. I think in some way April’s struggle and mindset about surviving is giving him a little hope enough for him to take the risk.

Regarding the love triangle, at first it didn’t matter to me who she ended up with but as of the finale episode I prefer Leo. I think both relationships have potential but there is something about Leo and April’s relationship that has me emotionally connected. I believe at this point in their lives they need each other to get through their struggles with cancer. They both obviously have feelings for each other but Leo is holding back because he believes he is not good for her.

Hopefully in the next season, if Leo is still there I think they should focus a little more on Leo’s struggle with cancer. I would like to see a side of Leo that lets himself grieve.
    But yeah, this is my opinion.

• NancyBeth says:

Having cancer is no reason for them to be together romantically. Dominic wanted to be there for her. She blew it. They can “get through their struggles with cancer” as FRIENDS. They do not need to be lovers.

41. Kelly says:

I’m hoping the voicemail Leo left April was that he decided to have the surgery – fingers crossed

42. samantha says:

Does anyone else think her “uncle” is really her dad? I mean it sounds like they had a thing before he left, and her mom started dating Aprils dad. That would really be a major twist.
    I took the ending scene as he was getting the surgery as well!! I like Leo a lot too, and am hoping he will be on the show for along while.

• Nancy says:

Eww I hope not. That would just be beyond creepy. I think people are not thinking of other possibilities. I just don’t see that he suddenly changed his mind after telling her to go be with Dominic and fight for him(which she BLEW big time by the way).

43. Yomama says:

I am very team Leo, and it’s possible he dies because on IMDB, episode 17 is entitled, “Rest in Peace”, and Scott Michael Foster isn’t listed in the cast listing for episodes 18 onwards. :( Very sad, I think he is devoting time to his new show playing Kristoff, and this was just a temporary gig for him. Sucks, because he was the best part of this show.

• Angela says:

I know I noticed that too. Though something does seem wrong with killing him off then. Usually when shows kill off important characters they do it when it is least expected. If they name the episode Rest in Peace and write that he isn’t going to be on the show anymore it seems too obvious. Plus, he is just a side character on Once Upon a Time playing Kristoff so he probably won’t be in the show very much or for longer than a season. Once upon a time usually only goes with a “fairy tale” for a season to a half a season then changes.

• Nancy says:

Angela he was only a guest star. Sorry he was not that important to the show imo. Now if they were going to kill off Dominic or one of the main cast then I could see it. And FYI? it’s rare that a character is killed off and nobody finds out about it. The Good Wife did it with Will but that was rare. Most times fans know beforehand. And Just because his part on the other show is short and may not last does not mean that CL can’t kill him off!

44. Angela says:

I love Leo as a character and hope he survives. Some people are saying that Dominic would be a better person for April in the long run but I’m not so sure. I see how people like him and April but even if they do get back together he would never be okay with her being friends with Leo. Leo at least needs to be her friend if they don’t date. April needs to be able to have someone there for her who understands what she is going through and has experienced it themselves.

• Nancy says:

Why would be be?They had sex. I would not be comfortable with them being friends either if I were her boyfriend! She has other friends. She does not NEED Leo to be her friend. You act like Leo is the ONLY person on earth with Cancer.

45. Lori says:

I love the show and looked forward to watching it every week . I can’t wait to see what happens next.

46. Cheri says says:

I believe after the moment that Leo and April had together in the hospital, had Leo thinking about his life. And when April was aware and truly concerned that Leo may not be around after Chemotherapy. The phone call from Leo and the message left for April to call because he had something important to tell her, led me to believe he will be sticking around. I think that Leo has a real reason to exist, April.

47. Cheri says says:

I think Leo did not die. Why would he know ahead of time and left April a message that he had something important that he wanted to tell her. I think after the episode where he came to her rescue as April wanted it. That was the breaking moment of his decision to have the all important surgery.

48. Dora says:

I think he has decided to have the surgery and that’s what he wanted to tell her.

49. Christine says:

I LOVE Chasing Life!!! It’s a great show and I love all the characters! Please renew show!!!!!

50. maria says:

This show is Amazing, had me crying throughout the episodes. I relate to these as I myself have a family member who’s dealing with cancer, anyhow the story line is great I love it! Cant wait until next season.. . I would love to see Leo survive and have a better bond with his father he needs love! But not from April, I would love to see April stay with Dominic, their goodbye was sad. It CANT END like that. But cant wait to see the outcome!