Robin Williams Dead at 63 in Suspected Suicide

robin-williams-dies

Emmy- and Oscar-winning actor Robin Williams was found dead on Monday at age 63, the result of a suspected suicide.

UPDATE: The actor, who most recently appeared in CBS’ one-season comedy The Crazy Ones and had checked into rehab on July 1, was found in his bedroom, having hanged himself hours earlier with a belt, the Marin County Sheriff reports. He also exhibited cuts on his wrist, with a pocket knife nearby.

The initial report from the Marin County coroner’s office listed the suspected cause of death as suicide via asphyxiation, although “a comprehensive investigation” — including a toxicology report and interviews with witnesses — “must be completed before a final determination is made.”

RELATED Robin Williams Remembered: Stars Mourn the Actor’s Loss on Twitter

“Robin Williams passed away [Monday] morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss,” noted a Williams family spokesperson. “The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Variety quoted a statement from Williams’ wife, Susan Schneider, as follows: “I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

Williams rose to fame playing the titular alien Mork for four seasons on Mork & Mindy, earning an Emmy nod as Lead Actor in a Comedy Series in 1979. He would go on to garner eight additional nominations, winning twice for Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program — for 1987’s Carol, Carl, Whoopi and Robin and 1988’s ABC Presents: A Royal Gala.

RELATED Sarah Michelle Gellar Pays Tribute to Robin Williams, Calls Him ‘the Father I Had Always Dreamed of Having’

Williams transitioned to a wide-ranging big-screen career starting with the title roles in Popeye and The World According to Garp, eventually earning four Academy Award nominations for Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King and Good Will Hunting, taking home the Best Supporting Actor statuette for the last of those films in 1998.

The actor also won five Golden Globe awards — including a Best Actor in a Comedy prize for Mork & Mindy — and earned the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s Cecil B. DeMille Award in 2005. In addition to his wife, he is survived by three children.

Check out YouTube clips below of Williams’ work in Mork & Mindy and The Crazy Ones — plus his first appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

1. jimbo says:

Totally in shock. Wow. I will miss you, Mr. Williams. :(

2. Olivia says:

Wait. WUT. :O

3. CBWBDK1 says:

Can’t believe it!

4. Dean says:

Its a very sad year in the entertainment world. RIP Robin.

5. Angela says:

WHAT?
    Oh, my god.

6. BrightLight says:

Dayum! :(

7. Annie says:

*stands on desk* O Captain, My Captain!

• B says:

That movie was just on last night. Perfect quote. He will be greatly missed.

• Lisa @catcharmer1 says:

We’ve all done this ice bucket challenge, and passed it on. It would be neat if, at a specific time, we could all climb on our desk and say Oh Captain, My Captain.

8. leslie says:

What the frakk? (Is that allowed) so sad.

9. MelindaB says:

TOTALLY shocked. I personally haven’t found him to be consistently funny in some time, but he is a comedy icon, and has a legion of fans. He was involved in some big upcoming films–a new Night at the Museum, and a sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire. How sad for his family.

• Julie DiBiase says:

Really the man die/potentially committed suicide and you throw in he hasn’t been consistently funny! C’mon, shame on you. Maybe it’s mean remarks like that , that contributed to his sev depression. You need to be more sensitive or dont say anything at all. Not nice!

• Marty says:

Though I may not agree with the man, he has every much a right to voice his opinion as you do, so shame on you, you fascist.

• flutiefan says:

It’s still in horribly bad taste to post such an insult at this time.

• Julie DiBiase says:

Fascist? I’m far from a fascist. Look up the definition please then make your comment. Last time I checked I did live in the USA and the 1st amendment is freedom of speech! You must not!

• Jax says:

I am so sick and tired of everyone throwing around “Freedom of Speech” as a defense. Why don’t YOU look it up please. The right to free speech means the government can’t arrest you for what you say – period. It DOES NOT mean that anyone else has to listen to your comment and it DOES NOT shield you from criticism or consequences. (And for the record, it also doesn’t mean you cannot get boycotted or canceled or banned from a site if they disagree with you.)

• Julie DiBiase says:

Fascist? I couldn’t be farther from the definition. Lol! Look up the definition. Last time I check the US constitution’s first amendment is freedom of speech. Last time I checked I lived in the USA. And lastly I was replying to a woman. Get your facts straight!

10. Scott Johnston says:

I’m sorry, Williams family. :'( RIP Robin Williams.

11. Ck says:

I’m in complete shock right now

12. Stacie says:

This is so sad. I heard he recently signed on for a Mrs. Doubtfire sequel. I was looking forward to that so much. He had a lot of issues but you don’t ever think something like this could happen in this day and age, but it did. He’ll be missed.

13. abz says:

I’m so shocked right now!

14. jalahyacinth says:

My 8 year old Flubber obsessed self is devastated right now. Prayers to his family and to those who knew him the best.

15. Marcos says:

good job CBS

• Pedro says:

I too blame them.

• Louis says:

No, you blame his depression which is a horrible and devastating disease. You cannot fault CBS for following the same business practices they always have since television was invented. That is the nature of showbiz and Mr. Williams was well aware of that.

16. Thomas dallaire says:

Rip god please him!

17. Jay says:

Just totally shocked.

18. Kavita says:

Total shock. RIP. You will be missed.

19. robinepowell says:

Wow! What a shock, didn’t see that coming. He was such a great actor.

20. Steven says:

Completely shocked. RIP Robin.

21. BrittBrat says:

This is still very shocking! RIP Robin Williams

22. Jenny says:

What a sad day. RIP Robin Williams.

23. Alichat says:

I just….I can’t….oh my god…..

24. Gems says:

So shocked to hear this. My heart is breaking :( I’ll always remember his humor and characters. My prayers and thoughts go our to his family. RIP

25. MattArmando says:

How utterly SHOCKING. Wow.

26. This is such a tragic day. I was a huge fan of Robin. :,( All I can say is that heaven just got funnier.

27. Wtactualf says:

I’m completely shocked

28. Annie says:

I’m so stunned. I keep writing the same words, over and over on friends’ updates on Facebook about this – hoping to make some sense out of something so senseless – but all I can write is … I’m so stunned. I’m so stunned.

29. Missy Kelly says:

How sad is that? You can appear to have it all and not believe that you do. My heart goes out to him. Our world is a sadder place for not having him in it but it was a better place for having had him and his talent to make us laugh.

30. Carla Krae says:

Total shock. I did not expect this to be something I read today. How terribly sad.

31. Isaac Hunt says:

Poor guy, he must have been in real pain to take a step like that. Depression is a real killer. He’ll definitely be missed, such a shock. RIP.

32. Eliza says:

I, too, am so shocked. I knew he was going through some stuff recently but still didn’t see this coming.
    I grew up with so many of his films. So sad to read this news :( RIP Robin.

33. Diz says:

RIP. He was one of my favorites. Such a blessing we got to see him perform in Crazy Ones.

34. Lysh says:

This is so shocking and so sad. My thoughts go out to his loved ones. Man, this guy was my childhood. What a huge loss. Depression is terrible.

35. CJ says:

Utterly heartbreaking news. He was immensely talented and will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to his loved ones.Suicide leaves in its wake a unique type of grief that is tough to put into words.

If you or anyone you know are considering suicide, please reach out and call 800-273-TALK (8255). Everyone matters and no one is replaceable.

36. nitemar says:

So sad! Depression is killing so many people! So many questions… RIP Mr Williams.

37. Me says:

He will be deeply missed. RIP Mr. Williams

38. Karen Foster says:

na-noo na-noo Mork from Ork

39. Charissa29 says:

So horribly, horribly sad and such an incredible waste of talent. He seemed a lovely person, my deepest condolences to the family.

40. Larry Jones says:

this is sooooosad—but I KNOW that even if it was a suicide GOD WAS THERE WITH OPEN ARMS TO TAKE HIM TO HIS BOSOM AND COMFORT HIM—I don1t know what to say realy—he was such a great human being,and it`s going to take a while to get over this one…….peace

41. Wendy says:

Holy s…well, you know. But this was one hell of a shock. :-( I guess fame really cannot guarantee happiness. May Mr. Williams finally find peace and condolences to his friends and family.

42. N says:

I loved him RIP

43. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

That’s just sad………..couldn’t believe it when I heard it. Not Mrs. Doubtfire!!!!!!!! RIP Robin Williams, thoughts and prayers to his family.

44. wow just found out about this, I am speechless

45. S. says:

I just can’t believe it. He was one of my favorite actors, a staple of my life from childhood to adulthood. He was brilliant, a light to guide the way when things got bad. I’m sorry he lost his own light. He will be missed and my heart goes out to his family.

46. herman1959 says:

OMG. What a terrible waste…sorry for his family and friends.

47. DanT2590 says:

I just can’t believe he’s gone. He was always so full of life. How could he take that from us? Makes me wonder if CBS could have been some of the cause when they pulled the successful show Crazy Ones from under his feet?? Could that have pushed him over the edge? Cause it was a really funny show and we could all see they were having fun together. Then it was cancelled for no reason cause it was a high rated show.

• Isaac Hunt says:

I think it goes a lot deeper than that. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, other problems can contribute to it of course. I find it hard to believe someone with a body of work as strong as his would be pushed over the edge by a cancelled TV show. Maybe he left a note explaining his actions, I never realised he had such a problem with depression. It’s just such a shock that he felt there was no other option for him than death, let’s not forget depression kills everyday folk as well as celebrities, it’s a serious issue that’s often brushed off as moodiness by people. If any good can come of a tragedy like this is that it shines a light on the problem so people who are suffering from it don’t feel like they are the only ones.

• Fran says:

Isaac, well said. Depression is misunderstood by so many people. It is not the same as “the blues” that we all experience from time to time. No amount of money will help and no one incident causes it. My mother has suffered from severe depression her entire life and I’m only grateful she continues to battle it. Not everyone is so lucky. My thoughts go out to his family. RIP Robin.

• Dan says:

Very well put, everybody. But as someone who fights depression on a daily basis myself, I can honestly tell you the cancellation of a high profile show that meant a return to people’s homes everyday can very well turn bad thoughts and feelings things to much worse if the guy is already inclined, hanging on the idea of a last resort (even if it probably wasn’t, as we know from the outside). And it’s not even CBS’s fault, because they are just running a business and can’t cater for every actor’s needs. On the other hand, it’s really good to see more people understanding it as a disease and a chemical imbalance. Rest in peace, Captain.

• Zach says:

Yeah, but it did seem like it was cancelled for the wrong reasons (namely it wasn’t produced by Chuck Lorre. It actually got better ratings than Mom).